Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Demios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2015, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Klue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

Dagger [Shores of Endiness] One Sword Keeps Another in the Sheath [Nevik]

Sometime Between the Beginning and the Middle, XXII

It was mid-morning on the Shores of Endiness, and compared to the mainland in Winter, it promised to be a warm brightening already. Warm enough that Klue had abandoned his workshop for the outdoors, after Gregor had heated the place up, floor to ceiling with his forge. The former Legionnaire turned metalsmith was still at it, so Klue opted keep himself occupied elsewhere.

From a tall cabinet near the doors, he'd grabbed a soft leather case that contained a pair of practice swords, and on his way down to the shore, he'd grabbed a straw dummy that had seen better brightenings. The thing had been shot at with all manner of firearms, catapulted or slung out of any number of other things, and pounded away at by blades large and small. But the thing was still in one piece, more or less, and would do nicely for a little practice down on the black glassy beach below Wits' End.

Once there, he strapped the dummy to an old sturdy post that shot up out of the sand at a lazy angle, and pulled one of the practice swords out of the leather sack. He might have brought his own blade, but it would have seem wasted on an opponent that didn't fight back. And besides, he'd rather not dull the blade by whacking away at a thick bundle of straw and twine.

He didn't expect there to be much ducking or weaving by this particular opponent, no parries or strikes either. But nonetheless, Klue could be found there on the beach should anyone come looking for him, at the least loosening up and getting a little fresh air and exercise.
I care that they don't have any of their own.
Nikola Tesla

Last edited by Klue Malinconico; January 12, 2015 at 06:27 PM.
Klue Malinconico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Nevik Carthiam is a glorious SuperheroNevik Carthiam is a glorious SuperheroNevik Carthiam is a glorious Superhero
Nevik decided he would try something new due to the fact that it was a nice, warm day. But the question came to him of what should he do? Should he go out for a stroll, maybe along the beach that Hay'aan had shown him before? Maybe he could have gone out climbing on some random things, or sat down and looked up at the sun and sky. But, the strolling idea sounded like fun. Perhaps, Nevik thought, he might find something interesting while he was there.

He didn't bring anything apart from some clothes and himself, he didn't really see a need. So, he walked out of Wits' End and head down to the beach to see what he could see.

As he walked, he saw a man he recognized nearly instantly on the beach with a dummy (He assumed it was a dummy) and a sword of some sort. He decided, after seeing Klue, he would go over and see what was going on.

"Hello Klue, I did not expect to see you here! What are you doing with this...thing?" he said gesturing at the dummy
Unto my final breath"

Nevik Carthiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2015, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mythic

Klue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

When Nevik stepped foot on the beach, Klue was just finishing up with a few stretching exercises, meant to loosen up limbs and muscles in a way that he didn't ordinarily use them. His work, by itself, provided all the work that any of his limbs, back or muscles needed or wanted. But swordplay in general required a different kind of movement and focus.

He worked with the training sword in hand, and when his cousin in law approached and spoke, Klue paused, lowered the weapon and smiled. "I didn't expect to be here, myself, until Gregor ran us all out of the workshop with his work at the forge," he said. "What brings you down to the water?" he wondered.

Then glancing at the dummy, that had seen its best brightenings eras, even a decade ago, he grinned and chuckled. "Him?" he said, and tapped the thing's shoulder with the slightly rounded tip of his blade.

"This poor, bedraggled soul is Eduardo," he explained, "named by the smallest of my crew eras ago. Two eras ago, we got to calling him Eddie, once he'd been put through the worst we could do to him. He's been shot through a dozen times with slugs, miniature cannonballs and darts," Klue remembered. "Shot out of tulip shaped cannons and flung from catapults, blown to bits by a sorcerer's spell and his stuffing put back inside him only to get blown up again, chewed up by the horses and a neighbor's mule. He's seen most everything and survived it all without complaint. But sadly, when it comes to swordplay, he can't be counted on for much of a fight. You do any sparring....Swordplay?" the gadgeteer wondered aloud.
Nikola Tesla
Old January 15, 2015, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Citizen

Nevik Carthiam is a glorious SuperheroNevik Carthiam is a glorious SuperheroNevik Carthiam is a glorious Superhero
Nevik watched as Klue warmed up and smiled to himself. It was weird, for quite a while he was worried that, apart from Hay'aan, he would not see many people, nor would he get the chance to talk to many people. But since he had met Klue for the first time, he hoped that they would get along. As far as Nevik was concerned, they did get along. He hoped Klue felt the same

"Well, I was just wondering what I should do for the day so decided to venture down to the beach." he said and smiled politely at Klue. He then looked at Eduardo and chuckled. "Sounds like he has had a lovely time, being attacked and stuff". He then listened to Klue's question and chuckled to himself. "I am afraid not, I have never really thought about it. I don't know really, I guess it just never seemed to be something I would do." In all honesty, Nevik never had really considered sword fighting as something he would be interested in. However, he did think it might be something he would be interested in. "Would you be able to teach me a few things?"
Unto my final breath"

Last edited by Nevik Carthiam; January 15, 2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old January 16, 2015, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mythic

"Demios can be something of a lazy island, some brightenings," Klue remarked, when Nevik said he'd been looking for something to do. "Except, when all of a sudden, it's not. There's no other place like it in all the Empire," he added with a glance around them, and then briefly out to sea. Demios was home, after all. But the island was more than that. It had become a part of him, of Hay'aan, of their family, as much as they were a part of it. "And things can shift from lazy to more excitement than you've ever dreamed of, just as quick as the Dragon Winds can shift from north to south."

"Which is exactly why it's a good idea to learn to handle some sort of weapon," he added. "If not then sword, then something else." But would Klue be willing to teach him a few things? He smiled and considered it. "Well, I'm not a master of the blade by any standard. But I learned a little in the Legions and a little since then. Gregor's a better one by far," he said, referring to his crew member who was inside with the forge. But for reasons of his own, the man didn't care to handle a blade anymore...except at the forge, unless he was forced to.

"Still, I can give you a few pointers, and I could use a sparring partner," he agreed, and from out of the leather bag came the second practice sword. He handed it to Nevik, and he'd discover that unlike many practice weapons, this one was not fashioned from wood, and it wasn't crudely made. With a rounded tip and blade, it was forged from quality metal, was perfectly balanced and its weight was comparable to an ordinary long sword. "There are advantages to having a former Legionnaire and weaponsmith manning the forge," Klue explained before taking a position that had him facing off with Nevik.

"It's best to loosen up a little first, stretch," he advised. "Flexibility, balance, control, focus...They're just as crucial to to facing off against an opponent, as the blade itself." That said, he'd give Nevik an opportunity to stretch and loosen up in whatever way he chose, before going any further.
Nikola Tesla
Old January 17, 2015, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Citizen

When Klue was speaking of how wonderful, or he assumed he meant how wonderful, Demios is, Nevik listened intently. Demios was indeed a strange place for Nevik and he was glad it wasnt just him that thought Demios was strange but wonderful. In all honesty, he had never been somewhere so fascinating.

"I have never really thought of it like that, I suppose I best learn some sort of weapon". He smiled at the idea of learning a weapon, especially with the husband of his beloved cousin who was almost like a sister to him. "If you could teach me to use the sword, I would be very grateful. I would be more than happy to be your sparring partner aswell!"

Nevik took the practice sword and held it. He assumed it would have been wooden, but then again he had never used one so he wouldn't really know. He held out the sword and felt its balance. It felt nice and smooth in his hand. He then listened to what Klue said and started to stretch out. After stretching he held out the sword. "I am ready, what do we do now?"
Unto my final breath"

Old January 18, 2015, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mythic

What now? Klue smiled, taking up the position of facing off with Nevik. Whether just learning or not, another living, breathing sparring partner would prove a much more lively one that Eddie. And so the straw dummy was forgotten as Klue adopted a typical fighting stance, but with blade lowered while he explained. "Well, we start at the beginning, with the basics," he said. "Get a feel for the weapon in your hand. It's weight, it's balance...With practice, familiarity, your weapon should become a comfortable extension of your arm. It should never feel like some ungainly, foreign thing with a mind of it's own."

As for stance, he added, "Your fighting stance should also be a comfortable one, not stiff or awkward. The key is balance, flexibility, movement. Feet staggered about a shoulder's width between them. Left foot rear of center, right foot forward. Toes slightly outwards, knees slightly bent." And to demonstrate the notion that it ought be a very comfortable position rather than an awkward one, Klue bounced a little, flexed his knees and shifted forward and backwards, side to side, but always keeping his center of balance within that staggered zone.

"Never overextend," he advised, while watching Nevik's own movements. "That goes for your center of balance, your body, and for your sword arm. When you strike, do it with resolve. Your weapon should be an extension of your arm. Strike with a full extension, but don't overextend. Each time you over extend, you sacrifice your center of balance," Klue explained as he demonstrated by shifting forward and extending his weapon arm as if to strike, "and the advantage goes to your opponent."

"Once you get a feel for your weapon, and are comfortable with your stance and way of moving, we can work on some basic parries....Or blocks," he explained. "But first," he suggested, "why don't you take some time to get comfortable with your stance and way of moving, and the feel of your weapon. Take a few strikes at the dummy if you like, in order to test familiarize yourself with what proper extension and balance feels like."
Nikola Tesla
Old January 19, 2015, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Citizen

Nevik listened to everything Klue said intently. He then started moving the sword around and tried to get the feel for it. He played around with his grip and tried holding the sword at different angles until he found one that was comfortable for him. He then looked at Klue to see how he was doing, and smiled politely.

He then did as Klue demonstrated. He put his feet shoulder width apart, his left foot backwards and his right foot forwards. He then looked down at his toes and spread them out a bit "How is this?" he said looking focused and examining his posture carefully to look for error. As far as he was aware he was fine, but he might be wrong. He had not used a sword before so he was not sure. He then took Klue's invitation and swung at the dummy as powerful as he could. He only focused on power for his first strike, then he struck again trying to focus more on accuracy instead of power. After striking a few more times he looked over to Klue for advice
Unto my final breath"

Last edited by Nevik Carthiam; January 19, 2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old January 20, 2015, 09:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mythic

While Nevik experimented with his grip, Klue watched for several seconds without comment. The other man would probably find the proper grip on his own since it also tended to be the most comfortable. But whether he did or he didn't, the gadgeteer advised, "You'll find that the proper grip is also the most comfortable one, and the one that offers you the most control. When your arm is extended, the cutting edge should be perpendicular to the ground, your wrist inwards."

"Nice," he said when Nevik asked about his stance. "And remember,"he added when his cousin in law began to trade blows with the dummy, so to speak. "The necessity of not overextending your reach, also applies to the force used in your blows. Too much, your balance is upset and again, the advantage goes to your opponent. Flexibility and control in all things. Keep in mind too, to avoid striking with the flat of your blade. A broken off blade becomes a wildly out of control, and deadly projectile that is as likely to hit you or an innocent bystander, as it is your opponent."

But Nevik would only learn so much by striking at a straw dummy, so Klue took up the position and raised his own sword, point upwards. To make it easier for a just learning, right handed student, he took his own sword into his right hand instead of his more usual left. It would be good practice for him, as well. "We'll start with a series of basic parries, or blocks first," he suggested. "I'm going to ask you to take right handed jabs or forward swings at me with specific body parts in mind. Don't worry just yet about technique or style," Klue said and smiled. "This exercise is about parries and blocks, not strikes."

The first block, was to be a guard against a strike to the mid-section, the stomach, the gadgeteer explained, and he asked Nevik to take a jab, or a right handed swing at his mid-section. In response, Klue leaned in so slightly that it would hardly be noticed, rotated his sword so that it's tip pointed to the ground and the back of his wrist was turned towards his face nearly at shoulder level. "Imagine," he advised as he lowered his sword and stepped back, "that you've got a few words written on the back of your wrist, and you're rotating it in order to read them better. This is a basic parry to ward off a strike to the midsection." He repeated the move once more, asking Nevik to strike again before they moved on to the next.

The next was a jab or a strike to the right flank, from the right, to his hip area, Klue explained when he asked Annael to strike. And in response, shoulder relaxed and with a bend in his elbow, the gadgeteer merely dropped his sword point a few degrees and tapped Nevik's sword away, farther to the right. He repeated the move several times before moving on. And then the third, a strike at the shoulder. Either would do. And in response, Klue's sword tip went smoothly up to block the blow, so that with his wrist being in the correct position, angled towards his body and perpendicular to the ground just like his sword, Nevik's strike would be neatly blocked.

Then stepping back with a smile, Klue suggested, "There are that many again or more. But let's make sure you're comfortable with these before moving on. I'm going to mix it up a little and come at you with a number of strikes and jabs that will require you to use one of those three parries. Once you're comfortable with them, we'll move on to the rest of them." So with that in mind, Klue put Nevik on the defensive and slowly, came at him first with a jab to the shoulder. And then once Nevik was ready he'd come at him again with a swing at his flank, then his mid-section. But they weren't done, no sooner had Klue stepped back, he came again with another mid-section swing, then another to the flank in order to see how quickly Nevik could think on his feet, and respond.

oocgo ahead and post how Nevik would respond to all five strikes. =o)
Nikola Tesla
Old January 22, 2015, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Citizen

Nevik tried to find what was most comfortable for him and continued to do so until he would do it. He tried tightening and loosening his grip, he tried different positions for his fingers and thumb and kept going until he found the perfect grip. When he found that grip, he tried letting go of the sword and getting it back to that grip again. After a while he turned to Klue and said "I believe I have found the right grip for me, it feels most comfortable".

Nevik looked as Klue moved his sword upwards and knew what was about to happen. For a minute, Nevik felt a bit scared. But then he realised Klue wouldn't hurt him...or so he hoped at least. "I will give it the best I can" Nevik said and smiled. He then made sure he was ready with his grip and ready to do what Klue said.

He then took the first swing that Klue told him to. He was cautious as he did not want to hurt Klue, or worse yet, Klue to hurt him. Nevik had no experience before with weapons so he was wary, but he struck like Klue had said. He then examined the block the best he could and tried to remember. hearing Klue's explanation really helped as it gave him a simpler way of remembering. He struck again and put the picture of Klue blocking into his mind so he could remember it visually as well.

Nevik then examined the next guard to the flank carefully, while still making sure he struck well. He watched and made sure he had another visual image in his head. He did the same for the next block also, and then ran all of the blocks through in his head until he was certain of them. He had never thought that sword fighting could be so, majestic, per say. He always thought it to be a rough, pointlessly brutal thing. However, when he looked at how Klue moved he saw differently. He saw something much more than brutality, he saw what he thought was more of an art.

When Nevik realised he was to be struck at next, he panicked for a second. He then composed himself. "I am ready" he said. Then, when Klue took his first strike, he looked at where Klue was striking and then prepared. He lifted up his sword and made sure his wrist was in a comfortable position to do the block correctly. He then watched to see what happened. Afterwards, when the second attack came at him, he saw the strike heading to his right flank, so he bent his elbow and dropped the swords point slightly to block the attack. Then he would counter the other strike by, as Klue had said, trying to read the back of his hand. He twisted it so to get a better look at the writing on it and to stop himself from being hit in the middle.

Before Nevik could relax, he was blocking again. He turned his hand to block his middle, while repeating "Writing on your hand" in his head. He then tried to move his sword to block the flank by bending his elbow and dropping the sword a bit to make sure he was ready for the attack Klue had struck with.
Unto my final breath"

Old January 23, 2015, 01:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mythic

As Klue faced off with Nevik and put him through the paces, the strikes came slowly enough at first for other man to remember the maneuvers and parry. But not so much time in between that he'd a chance to second guess himself. It would take time, practice, and in fact at least one blow would slip through and strike Nevik on the flank. Had this been a genuine disagreement of blades, the wound would have been a nasty and deep one. But as it was, it was little more than a tap...and a reminder to stay alert and to be as quick of wit as of footwork.

"It takes time, practice," Klue had said even as he'd struck again. "After a time, the movements will come to feel like second nature." And ultimately, the gadgeteer and former Legionnaire stood back and smiled. "You did well," he concluded, and then took up a defensive stance again and was still bouncing a little on his feet when he added, "Let's go through the remainder of the most common parries and blocks."

"First, blocking a downward strike at the head," he said, and invited Nevik to do just that. Lift his sword, follow the arch and strike down towards Klue's head. In response, Klue blocked. After asking Nevik to repeat the maneuver several times, Klue explained. "This parry is very like the one intended to block a strike at the chest, I roll the back of my wrist towards my face as I lift my arm, flex the elbow, and block from a higher angle than a chest parry." But in fact the movement was quite similar, just carried out above head level, rather than nearer the chest.

Next, blocking a strike to the groin, which Klue explained was the most lethal blow that an opponent could deal you. The chances of bleeding to death in just seconds should a successful strike aim true, were quite high. No chance at all, however, with the practice swords they were using, so Klue invited Nevik to take a swing at it, so to speak, coming in from right to left. "It's one of the more difficult parries," Klue explained as he demonstrated by blocking, and then went through it several times again until the other man was confident he had it. There should be just a small amount of space between the tucked elbow and the chest, a little bend in the elbow and a little downward bend in the wrist. But the overall picture should be an arm and elbow bent at roughly ninety degrees, but sword and point angled downwards. The sword should not strike flat against the attacker's weapon, but a little bit bent instead.

Next was another head strike, but different than the last one. Nevik should come at him with an overhanded blow, just as he had the last time. This time when Klue parried, he'd see that the gadgeteer's wrist was different than last time, as they moved slowly through the exercise. Rather than the back of Klue's wrist being angled towards his face, this time it was the inside instead. As for which of the two parries to use in order to block a head strike? "Follow your instincts," Klue explained.

"That's all of the parries for now," the gadgeteer finally said and stood back. "There are more, but these are the basics, and those are for more advanced fighting," he explained. "So before we move on to the strikes, we'll make sure you're comfortable with these. A little exercise," he proposed, and then explained. First, he'd want Nevik to get comfortable with the three parries or blocks they'd just gone through. So Klue would come at him, and ask that he block a strike to the groin, or to the head. As for the head parries, he should alternate between both methods in whatever combination he chose. It would go much as it had before. The gadgeteer would slowly strike first at the head, then the groin, then the head again...then another head strike followed by a slash at the groin again.

He'd go through it as many times as Nevik needed in or to get comfortable with the three parries. And once he had, Klue grinned a little and stepped back only briefly. "Well done. You're doing very well. Now let's see how good your memory is." Which meant of course, that when Klue came at him next, it wouldn't be enough to remember just three blocks or parries, he'd need to remember six of them...and not necessarily in order.

Klue would move slowly, and he'd come at Nevik with a series of strikes that he'd need to ward off. A slash at the groin, followed by another aimed at the mid-section. The head came next, then the flank, the head again and then the shoulder. All six, but then followed by another strike at the shoulder, the groin and lastly again, the mid-section.
Nikola Tesla
Old January 27, 2015, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Citizen

Nevik was happy with what he had done, even though it hadn't been expert, it was good for what he expected to do. In all honesty he was not sure what would happen when he accepted to be Klue's sword partner, but he was sure it was not this he expected. Nevertheless, Nevik was pleased with what he had done. He looked at Klue with a proud expression on his face and smiled.

Nevik then listened to what Klue said and took all of it in. "Alright, lets try the others". He did all of the strikes Klue asked him too and examined every block he could with a lot of detail. He watched and played through each block in his head until he had memorised them to an amount he found necessary. "Thanks, I think I am ready to try it" he said. He prepared himself to try even more. He was nervous but ready, so he prepared his blade to parry Klue's attacks.

He then kept practicing with Klue until he had got a bit more used to it. Now it was time for the real deal. First Nevik would bend his elbow at around 90 degrees and was a bit bent from Klues sword. Then he try to read what was on his hand and turn the sword at the attack to the mid. Afterwards, he rolled the back of his wrist towards his face and did a similar thing to blocking his chest, but making sure it was higher and covering his face. He then bent his elbow and dropped the sword to protect his flank, and shortly after blocked his head again but twisted his wrist the other way. He then put his wrist in the right position and met Klue's sword. He did the same thing again, then he made his elbow to a 90 degrees angle and bent it to not hit Klue's sword flatly. He then tried to read his hand and turn his sword downwards. He tried to do all of that the best he could, although he was sure he would mess up at one point
Unto my final breath"

Old January 29, 2015, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mythic

"The more you handle your sword and the more often you go through the movements, the more comfortable you'll feel," Klue said during a short break between attack and block sequences. "Your weapon will begin to feel more like it should, an extension of your own arm. And the movements, the blocks, parries and strikes will become second nature. You won't need to think about it anymore," he added with a smile before stepping back, then beginning again with the last sequence.

And just as Nevik had known there were would be, inevitably there'd be mistakes. A too slow block would lead to a tap with the practice blade against the flank. A reminder of sorts, to not waste time on second guessing himself. But otherwise, while some of Nevik's movements might seem a little awkward at times, practice makes perfect after all, he had every reason to be proud of his progress.

"Nicely done," Klue said as he stepped back again and lowered his sword. "You keep that up, you'll be sparring with the best of them in no time." From nearby, where he'd left the leather case that had held the practice swords, he picked up a jug of cold water that he'd brought down from the house. Offering it to Nevik, he said, "We've burned up a couple of candlemarks already." And indeed, judging by the positions of the suns in the sky, it was just past noon.

"This seems like a good place to pause," he considered. "How 'bout we pick this up tomorrow, same time, same place, and we'll start with some strike sequences then?"

oocfeel free in your next post to assume it's the next brightening / day, and Nevik is returning, ready to learn some more. =o)
Nikola Tesla
Old February 2, 2015, 02:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Citizen

Nevik took in Klues advice and thought on it. Maybe one day he could be as good as Klue. Maybe even better, who knew. But whatever happened, he had enjoyed today. "You know, this reminds me of a time when me and Hay'aan were young. One brightening, she had told me about these dreams she had been having. She had told me that in her dreams she could fly and she believed truly that she could fly. One day, we awoke to a loud noise outside. When we stepped out we saw Hay'aan injured on the floor. She told everyone else about her dreams and told us that she had tried to fly. Whenever our family said "you can't fly", she would retort with "I can not fly YET". I know that may sound peculiar, but the reason I am reminded of that brightening is because maybe, just maybe, one day Hay'aan will learn to fly. That might mean that maybe, as you say, I will be able to use a sword perfectly as long as I keep at it". Nevik then smiled at Klue, then continued to help take everything back to Wits' End with him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next brightening he went back to the same place to see what was waiting for him. He went at the same time, same place. As he went he thought eagerly about what he might learn today. He was sure, it would be something marvellous
Unto my final breath"

Old February 3, 2015, 04:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mythic

When Nevik walked down to the glossy black beach, just below Wits' End, he'd discover that Klue was already there waiting on him. Dressed in loose fitting clothing, the gadgeteer was in the process of stretching and warming up, while the two practice swords remained in their leather case. But once seeing Nevik, the gadgeteer stopped, straightened and smiled. "Serale Nevik," he said. "I hope you're ready for a few more rounds? Strikes, slashes and attacks this time. And here, I've gotten you something..."

That said, from out of the leather sack came a pair of leather gloves. They were unique ones, not ordinary, not fingerless, but half fingered ones. Handing the pair to Nevik he said, "I haven't always had time to slip on a pair of gloves before swordplay, but they help the grip quite a bit. They're yours, if you find them comfortable." Then grinning a little, Klue recalled the story Nevik had told him about Hay'aan the brightening before, and added. "And you know, she can fly, and she does it very well. Just not in the way she might have expected she would, back then." Her dreamwalking alter ego, after all, soared with the best of them. It was fitting that it was her dreams, back then, that convinced her that one brightening, she would.

"She can fly, and with practice and time, you'll make a fine swordsman. You want to do a little stretching?" he suggested. "Warm up, before we begin?"

And once Nevik had gotten a chance to loosen up a little, Klue handed him the practice sword and took a position opposite him. "This time, some basic strikes and slashes. While I demonstrate them, watch, remember, but don't attempt to block. Keep in mind, I won't be following through to the extent of making contact. Just remember the moves for now, there'll be plenty of time to block them later."

"Always remember Nevik, that even when attacking, you should remain in a position that will also allow you to defend against a counter. This is why it's so important not to overextend your arm or your center of balance." That said, Klue instructed Nevik to put his sword aside so that his instincts wouldn't cause him to try and block the attacks that the gadgeteer would demonstrate for him. After one or two near strikes, the student would grow more comfortable with the idea that Klue had no intention of actually making contact.

"First, always keep your eyes on your target," Klue said, and from an en garde position, added, "In this case, the stomach or waist area." Then demonstrating the move, the gadgeteer shifted into a forward jab, extending his arm in the process at a ninety degree angle to the ground, but his sword tip dipped slightly lower towards Annael's midsection. But the move was meant to demonstrate only and not make contact, so he stopped short just inches from Annael's middle. And then he demonstrated the move several more times, wrist angled not quite perpendicular to the ground, but instead turned at a slight downward angle.

"Next," he said after repeating the move several times. "the flank, or outside the thigh." This move required him to carry his sword up and over into an arc from right to left, down and back again to the right while slashing down at Annael's flank. Again, his practice weapon passed harmlessly by, and he repeated the move several times before moving on. "Now the shoulder." This was a simple move, a sweep of the blade at shoulder height, roughly, that moved from left to right, intending a striking blow to the opponent's right shoulder.

Then the chest. The move required a counterclockwise pivot of the wrist carried out at shoulder level or slightly above, coming in to strike at the opponent's chest. It would take practice, but eventually Nevik would find that his wrist was plenty flexible to make it a comfortable maneuver. And once he'd demonstrated the move several more times, Klue stepped back, smiled, and pointed to the straw dummy that was waiting nearby. "There are more attacks to learn, but try these for now. Mix them up, and try them on the dummy. Each strike, two or three times until you feel comfortable with them," he suggested.
Nikola Tesla