Old July 27, 2014, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eternal

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

The Fickle Fortunes of Fame (Jade, please)

Summer Era XXI

She had met Jade on the beach in Demios earlier this season and Hay'aan had now been asked to paint a portrait of her for the people of Sancta Nova. It was an exciting time for the young gypsy girl and she was pleased to be able to do something which might be useful for the town which she was growing very fond of indeed.

So, she made her way to Jade's residence I hope it's ok to assume that Hay'aan knows where Jade is living in order to speak to her. When Assuming that she gets to see her for alacrityshe saw Jade, Hay'aan's face lit in a smile and she seemed genuinely pleased to see the woman. "Sastimos and Serale, Jade" she said, softly. "I am sorry to arrive unnanounced, but I have a need to discuss something with you and I wondered if you were free for a chat?" she asked.

The gypsy girl who Jade had met on the beach at the beginning of this season was, to put it mildly, agitated and skittish. The one standing in front of her now was calm and composed, relaxed and quite different in her demeanour. But she greeted Jade with a smile and waited to see if it was a convenient time.
Old August 4, 2014, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Jade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious Superhero

The battle of Sancta Nova was a thing of the past, one more battle that Jade had somehow survived. It remained in the back of her head however when she looked at Emrys for it was because of that battle that her drake had suffered to keep her alive and well. She’d never forget the debt she owed the fire drake. It was for him that she had returned to Demios with the intention of living out her brightenings. She had work to do on the island, important work that she needed to get sorted.

Not this brightening though. This brightening she had spent with Emrys, flying over the island of Demios and bonding. It hadn’t been long since Jade had returned to her home when there was a knock on the door. The sound of violin music would be heard from outside Jade’s home which came to an abrupt halt when the knocking was heard. Jade had not been expecting anyone and had little interest in entertaining but after a few moments she sighed and opened the door to see who it was that was bothering her. Hm…she knew this one didn’t she? Gypsy girl from the beach? What was her name? Haya? No, that was the slutty goddess bint.

It was a reverse of the first time they had met, Jade was the one who seemed less than thrilled with company and Hay’aan was now the chatty pain in the ass. Nice. Shrugging, Jade opened the door and allowed her inside. "Come in then." Unlike the last time that Hay’aan had seen Jade, the brunette no longer had dark brown hair but rather white hair. Nymira lay in the sitting room, white as snow and a fire drake’s head poked through an open window near a chair where a violin rested. Jade’s perfect little haven.

“What is it you wish to speak about?” Jade cut to the chase before taking a seat. Hay’aan would have a chair to sit on if she wished while Jade reclined and waited to hear the gypsy’s reason for coming to Jade’s home.
Jade Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2014, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroHay'aan Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

The physical change in Jade from brown - haired to white haired caused the gypsy girl to raise an eyebrow in surprise but she said nothing of it. "Thank you" she said, quietly and did indeed sit down. She did not seem surprised at the fire drake, nor had she previously.

But Jade cut to the chase and Hay'aan did not mind that "My husband, Klue, and I are relocating to Solace Isle and have spent some time in Sancta Nova. I am an artist, and I have been asked by the town council to create a painting in memory of the battle of Sancta Nova, with specific people in it. You and your fire drake were named in the list of those who the town council wishes to commemorate, and I wanted to speak to you about that. I would like to paint you both, if I might, and I would wish to do so to the best of my ability, so would like to learn about the battle from you, if you were willing"

There. Long speech indeed for Hay'aan, but necessary to get her point across. She smiled, having sat down before she began, she simply folded her hands in her lap and waited to see what Jade had to say about it.
Old August 6, 2014, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mythic

Jade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious Superhero

Emrys watched Hay’aan come in with mild interest reflected in his golden eyes. He did not view her as a threat mainly because of Jade’s own reaction to the woman. If Jade had reacted differently than it was highly likely that Emrys would have as well and that would not bode well for the gypsy.

Jade rested a hand on the drake’s face, showing a rare sort of affection as she waited for Hay’aan to explain what she was doing there. Jade had so enjoyed the solace this brightening had given her, playing her violin and relaxing so when she found that solace to be interrupted, she didn’t exactly welcome it. Still, she didn’t dislike Hay’aan so why not indulge her for the afternoon or however long this conversation took.

Solace Isle? She had heard of it from her former paramour Duncan Sythe but she had never been there herself. “Solace Isle has a town council?” She was confused. Why did Solace Isle want to commission a painting of the battle of Sancta Nova? It took Jade only a moment to realize she had heard wrong, it was Sancta Nova that wished for a painting.

Hm… Here Jade had thought she and Emrys had earned a fecking statue at this point given all the blood they had shed for that little refugee camp turned town. “A painting of those involved. An interesting idea, a statue would have been far more impressive and flattering but one cannot always get what they want.” She laughed lightly and leaned back in her chair.

The drake knight stiffened to some degree when Hay’aan asked to learn more about the battle and Emrys took note of his bondmate’s momentary distressing, growling at Hay’aan for obviously causing it. The scars of war remained regardless of how they may not show on the outside. Jade was a hard woman but she was not immune to the nightmares that came with seeing so much death. Their screams haunted her in the dark of night, the clash of steal and the screams of the dead and dying. “What exactly would you want to know about the battle?” Jade asked after a few moments, calming herself as well as her drake who rested his head in her lap. “I may be willing to be painted though I must ask how long it will take and what is necessary.”
Old August 6, 2014, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Eternal

At the thought of a statue, Hay'aan said quite seriously "I would be happy to suggest it to them. I do not know that they are not commissioning such, I am afraid. They only asked me about the painting." she smiled and put it in her mind that perhaps she should mention it.

Jade tensed, of course, at the thought of the battle and Hay'aan understood that this must be tricky. She sat, though, calmly, and did not react to the growl from the drake. She simply sat and waited whilst Jade worked through her answer in her head. When she did reply, Hay'aan considered her own answer carefully.

"It seems to me to be important that, if this painting is to commemorate those of you who the town council of Sancta Nova wish to, then it is important that I paint it as truly as I can" she said, quietly. "I think it is important that, if you are willing, then we discuss what you wore, for example, and maybe the pose that you would like me to paint the two of you in. The moment that you feel you would be most comfortable to be painted in. As much detail of that as you are willing to give would be helpful. In terms of the battle itself, I was not there and so I can only be as accurate as the detail I am given. What that means, though, is that I will need to get from you what information you are willing to give me and no more than that, then I will paint you both from memory, in the pose or moment that you would like, if you agree." she said, quietly.

She smiled, slightly, and waited to see what Jade thought of that.
Old August 25, 2014, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mythic

Jade rolled her eyes and laughed as Hay’aan commented about the statue, she had taken Jade seriously. Wrong thing to do. “They won’t do it but feel free to suggest it to them.” A statue of her and Emrys would be awesome but highly unlikely. Gods Hay’aan was just too nice, she seemed to be the complete opposite of Jade which was amusing. Thankfully Jade was in a good enough mood that she didn’t mind being interrupted.

Still, Jade had to admit that Hay’aan had some guts, she didn’t tense when Emrys growled at her nor did she really seem to notice the edge in Jade’s voice. “I don’t know how to really help you paint something that you weren’t there to see.” She shrugged. “I wore a black corset dress, nothing special, no gold armor or anything flashy.” She thought back to that brightening, she could remember every detail of it perfectly, right down to the spots of blood that dotted her from the victims that she killed.

She picked up her staff that was nearby and leaned against it. “My weapon of choice, not as impressive as swords and the like but effective. I believe this would be best shown in the painting. As for a pose, I don’t know. Perhaps just mounted on Emrys, I don’t really care so long as it doesn’t take long.” She didn’t know much about art and such. “The battle itself was filled with flames that Emrys shot out, smoke filled the air, mixing with the screams of the dying, countless corpses of both sides littering the ground.” She could see it perfectly in her mind’s eye, not a pretty sight.
Old August 26, 2014, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan nodded, thinking that she would mention the statue as it would be an appropriate thing to do. "It isn't an easy commission, that much is true" she said with a smile, when Jade spoke of her painting something that she wasn't there to see. Hay'aan reached to a sketch pad and started to do a few quick sketches whilst she was there, sitting and looking at Jade, as she drew confidently and quickly.

The staff, she nodded and she made a note of that, then she spoke to Jade again "There was another person that they asked me to look up. Sliucha? I have been unable to find her, I don't suppose you know anything of her whereabouts? Or have a memory of her in that battle?" she asked, thoughtfully.

"It is not something I will paint now, I am nearly done, in fact" she said, with a smile. "I will paint it from my memory, but I have sketched you in order to remind myself. Those I will keep for myself, but I have these..." she said, and then she handed Jade one piece of parchment "This one I did before I came here from my memory of meeting you previously" she said, softly and then handed her a second piece . "This is what I have just done. You are welcome to them if you would like them." she said, with a smile. "With my thanks for your time"

Then, when she was done and had her notes, she nodded her head. "I appreciate the time you have given me and I hope to do you justice in this piece. Thank you, Jade."
Old August 26, 2014, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mythic

Perhaps asking for a statue was more than she needed. Besides, she could get her own statue here in Demios after she proved herself to be an outstanding Thane. She had done alright so far, still early in her career but it was rather amusing hearing people refer to her with a title of respect. Hay’aan didn’t know that Jade had been granted the title of Thane or maybe she did and simply didn’t see it as a need to refer to her by her title. It worked fine for Jade, in her home she preferred a less formal approach, especially since this wasn’t a business meeting.

Jade ran a gentle hand over the drake’s head that rested in her lap, watching Hay’aan with a look of curiosity as the woman got to work sketching. Other than music, Jade had little to no knowledge about art and couldn’t draw if she tried. She let that to others like Hay’aan. She had a passion for it; Jade could see it in her face as her hand moved over the paper. Sliucha? Jade shrugged. “I know that she has businesses in Ziel Aerca but I can’t really say I know where she would be.” Did Jade see Sliucha much during the battle? No, she couldn’t. “I know she is a healer but I can’t say what she was doing.” Jade would describe Sliucha as best she could.

A brow as she was shown the first sketch and she found herself quite impressed, a smile touching her lips. “It’s quite good. I can see why they wanted someone of your skill to do the painting; it might actually get done right.” Jade wasn’t the sort to give out compliments if she didn’t mean it. She took the other parchment and nodded. “I will keep these, this place needs more of a Jade touch.”

Hay’aan seemed to be finished at this point but as she looked over the sketchings, Jade had an idea and since Hay’aan was there and proved her skill, might as well ask her. “Wait, before you leave,” She motioned for Emrys to move and she stood to her feet. “I would like to commission my own painting from you. A painting as me as Thane of Demios, I figure it would be nice to have either here or in my office.” Yeah, that wasn’t ostentatious at all.
Old August 27, 2014, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan thanked Jade for what description of Sliucha she could give as as she worked and she considered how she was going to manage this one. But that was a worry for another time and she focused on the woman in front of her now. When she handed Jade the sketches, she seemed pleased and, of course, at her compliment a flush tinged Hay'aan's cheeks. She really hated that she blushed so often, but it was far less than it used to be, she considered and she really just needed to stop worrying about it. "Thank you" she said, in pleasure. She liked to think that her work gave people pleasure and she nodded her head.

She was, indeed, about to leave and then Jade asked her to wait. Hay'aan listened to her request and she smiled. "It would be my pleasure to do so, of course" she said, with a smile. "I will prepare some sketches of pieces and you can choose which of them you might want, then I will have them sent to you? My husband and I are leaving the island tomorrow, but I can either stay and sketch them quickly now or I can call by in the morn before we leave. Then you can tell me which, if any you want, the sort of sizes and so on and agree a final price if you wish any of them" she said, quietly. "Is that acceptable?"

Whether Jade chose to stay there for a candlemark or two or for Hay'aan to call by in the morning, she would be presented with a collection of five potential portraits from Hay'aan. She would explain that these sketches were rough renditions only and of course the final pieces would be finer work, and could be framed also if Jade wished it. Hay'aan would be happy to paint one or any number of them for her, if they were to Jade's satisfaction.
Old September 9, 2014, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mythic

Entertaining company wasn’t one of Jade’s stronger suits but given her position here in Demios, she would likely have to get used to it. Jade was not the sort to offer up compliments unless she meant them and even as Hay’aan blushed, Jade barely noticed as she inspected the sketches. Hay’aan was quite gifted. Jade gave a curt nod as she was thanked and set the sketches aside. She had given her descriptions and would likely see the painting in Sancta Nova at some point, not that she felt it was necessary. Those within Sancta Nova didn’t likely care much about those who defended it. Jade wouldn’t have, she didn’t suffer from hero worship and didn’t expect others to give her much thought either.

Hay’aan was intent on leaving and had Jade not been interested in her services all the more, she would have let her. Instead Jade asked for a commission, if she chose to decline that was her choice. Jade didn’t think she would and she was right as well, the young woman smiled and agreed to do it. That of course meant more time sitting there as she was sketched or the choice of Hay’aan dropping them off in the morning before they left. “I had heard that you and Klue planned on leaving. A shame for Demios as you both brought a lot to the island.” Jade acknowledged Klue for the brilliant man he was and she didn’t know if Hay’aan had contributed at all but it was polite to include her as well, wasn’t it? “I prefer you do it now so I can decide whether I like them or not, give you time to make more if need be.”

Jade would sit for the candlemark or two needed for Hay’aan to finish. Tea would be offered to the young gypsy woman while Jade had a flask of ale at her side, just relaxing in her home. It felt odd almost to have a home and a place to call hers and yet it felt right. Jade was where she was meant to be, at least for the moment.

When the sketches were presented to her, Jade couldn’t help but chuckle to herself. “I look far more regal in sketching than I ever would in life.” She found it amusing but admired the skill behind the work. She would select the painting where she was standing regally at an angle. “This will do nicely for the painting.” She looked over at the others and smirked. “I’d imagine it would be quite prideful to have paintings of myself hung all over my home. Perhaps at some point I will have paintings of my drakes.” She didn’t ask for another commission but settled on the one she had. “I would like to keep the sketches and will pay for them as well what are your prices for them and the painting?”
Old September 11, 2014, 04:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Eternal

Hay'aan raised an eyebrow as Jade said that both she and Klue had given a lot to the island. She wondered if she meant the orphanage or the hostel for the homeless, but she did not know and, Hay'aan did what she did when she did for reasons of her own, not for any other. Therefore, she had no need to discuss what she had done for Demios, and she found it rather strange that Jade would discuss it. But the ways of people were their own, after all, and Hay'aan did not doubt that she might seem somewhat strange to others. So it was not hers to judge.

When she had finished and she presented Jade with the sketches, she seemed happy with them and Hay'aan nodded at her choice. "I do not believe that pride is measured by such, but I am not sure. I suppose it might be, but I think it would depend on the intention." But then, to Hay'aan, it was usually the intention behind the words and actions which was most important. Such was her way. However, she could understand that having paintings of oneself might be difficult, as yet she had not ever managed to ever paint herself, and she did not know what she would do if asked to do a self-portrait. It was not something she could do, so she began to understand why Jade did not want portraits of herself everywhere.

She nodded her head and looked at the sketches. "For all of them, together, plus the portrait, yes, I could put that together." She named a price for them, which she would present as an invoice should Jade wish it. "If you wish it, I will be happy to return and paint your drake at a later time, of course. Is that acceptable to yourself?" she asked, thoughtfully.

Last edited by Hay'aan Malinconico; September 11, 2014 at 05:02 PM.
Hay'aan Malinconico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2014, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mythic

The sketches were lovely and Jade intended on keeping them. She would have to visit Sancta Nova again at some point and see the finish product when Hay’aan had completed it. It was not a battle she liked to think back to and yet knowing that she and others received some recognition for their efforts was something that made her smile. Who would have ever thought that someone with such a dark and tarnished past as Jade Alanon would ever be considered a hero of any kind. Even stranger was the fact that she enjoyed it to some degree. Not that she went out and rescued puppies or helped elderly people across the streets, that wasn’t her thing and she was still as belligerent as ever, she just happened to rock it when she was in battle.

Lucky for Aelyria that she was on their side…

“I do hope you will let me know when the painting is finished and hanging in Sancta Nova. I may visit and see the end result.” Being immortalized in a painting was something Jade had never considered actually enjoying but she was experiencing a lot of new things lately. A painting of Emrys was far more acceptable than one of herself, she nodded at that prospect though there was no hurry of course. A price was named but by this time Jade had considered something else as payment. Something that Hay’aan would likely enjoy more than simply coins. “I have a better idea.” She didn’t know if Hay’aan would go for this but it was worth a shot. Money was no problem for Jade but she wanted to work on her skills as a reificator.

“Bring me one of your best paintbrushes, make sure that it is clean and in excellent condition. I will explain what I will do with it once you return.” She waited to see if Hay’aan would do as she said. “If you dislike my creation than I will gladly give you the price you set.” Reassurance in case Hay’aan thought Jade was trying to skimp on money.
Old October 9, 2014, 02:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Eternal

"I will" she said, of letting Jade know when the painting was done. "I will write to you, you have my word. And I will attempt to ensure that there is a statue, if I can do so". However, when they discussed the price (something that Hay'aan was never comfortable with, but which she had grown used to, in truth) Jade seemed to have other ideas.

She looked at Jade in some consternation as she said that she should bring her a paintbrush and Hay'aan nodded, slowly. "That sounds intriguing" she said, quietly. "And I am a sucker for intrigue, of that there is no doubt at all" she added, with a soft smile. It was true, she could not resist a mystery and she arranged with Jade a convenient time for her to return with the painting itself, that being the case, and the brush.

~~~

And indeed, at the date and time specified (within the next few brightenings, of course), Hay'aan returned and she had with her the painting, carefully and beautifully framed and very meticulously wrapped.

First things came first, as far as the gypsy woman was concerned, always. Therefore, she delivered the painting and first, before anything else, she waited to see what Jade's reaction would be. She still, always, lived in fear that one of her clients might not like what she did for them, and she held her breath slightly as she awaited Jade's reaction. "I have used light for this piece, I wanted it to look as though a light shines upon you. The technique is one called expressive brushstrokes, which gives it a little texture and adds depth" she explained. In her time as an artist, Hay'aan had realised that people often liked a little explanation, but not too much. She hoped that this was sufficient and not too much for Jade in terms of explaining her process and techniqe.

And, once that was done, if and when Jade accepted that this was the finished piece, Hay'aan most solemnly handed her a paintbrush. "And here, as requested" she said, as she handed it over with a smile.

And she could not help but look somewhat perplexed as she wondered just what it was that Jade was going to do with this paintbrush that would have anything resembling payment associated with it. But Hay'aan was an open minded woman and she waited to see.

After all, she reasoned internally, as Captain Smartypants in the Weavers' Woods Forest Legions, she should really be willing to trust the Lady Protector / Thane of Demios. Especially since it meant that her Klue did not have to do it.

So she raised an eyebrow and the young gypsy woman waited.