Old May 25, 2013, 05:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Shriyk is a benevolent Adventurer

[Duck's Weapon Shop] A new blade [Tanith Ilara]

While Shriyk was walking through the streets of Demios he saw the local smithy a sign said "Duck's Weapon Shop". I think this might be the place to have my dagger repaired .

So Shriyk entered the shop and saw a female elf near the front of the store and approched her "Serale Ma'am prehaps you can help me with a rusty weapon"

Last edited by Shriyk; May 25, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
Shriyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Famous

Tanith Ilara is a benevolent AdventurerTanith Ilara is a benevolent Adventurer
Inside was an elven maiden, polishing a longsword with a brush to keep its shine as she went around to check the wares. When a customer worked in, she seemed rather bright and cheery.

"Serale and welcome to Duck's Weapon Shop! You have a rusty weapon, you say?" she asked, putting the longsword back on its rack. "Were you looking to have it replaced, or repaired?"

CIR

Like our work? Support Ilara Forgeworks with green rep!

Tanith Ilara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

"Well as you are the expert perhaps you can advise me what my options are. I let you take a look at it and if it is to far gone I guess I will have to sell it for scrap. But what other option are there what could you make or sell to me?"
He asked then pulled the old rusted dagger from his belt and placed it on the counter. "Sorry how rude of me if we are going to do business I should have told you my name which is Shriyk"
He than began to glance around the store while he awaited the evaluation of his old knife. His eyes lingered on the bows while he was here to have his knife repaired or replaced Shriyk's true love was for the bow and the exhilaration from hitting the bulls-eye of his target. "Perhaps when I get a job I will be able to afford a new bow with greater range than my current."

As he was thinking about bows he realized the cheery young elf seemed to have finished her evaluation of his knife.

My thoughts and words are unending.

CIR

Active threads 5.
Old May 27, 2013, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Famous

Tani examined the blade carefully, picking it up and staring at each and every spot of rust. "Actually, I had a dagger like this myself. It was in fairly bad condition, but with a bit of oil and some loving care, I think I can make this weapon at least serviceable. I think I might even do this one for free... I do have some extra time. Consider it a gift. Though, if you bring it back to have me do it again because you didn't look after it, there'll be trouble!" The last part was said with a wink and a laugh, signaling the little elf was clearly enjoying herself.

Her face brightened at the mention of his name, nodding her head in approval. "Think nothing of it. My name's Tani!"

CIR

Old May 27, 2013, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Notable

"That is very kind of you Tani, should I stay here while you work or would it be better to leave my blade and pick it up again another day. Also as I am new in town I'll need somewhere to stay is there an inn or tavern that you would recommend?"
Shriyk inquired with a grin. This was very good news indeed, he seemed to be making a friend already and his knife was to be repaired and it was not even going to cost him a single crown. What a nice welcome to this new town. Yes Demios seemed very much like a place he could live for a while. While he awaited Tani's reply he pondered how would spend his days. He would need to find a way to support himself eventually or he would go hungry. Either a job or a hunting ground is what he needed to look for once. Shriyk decided that this could wait until after he got his knife back.

CIR

Active threads 5.
Old May 28, 2013, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Famous

"Tell you what. Leave it with me until tomorrow and come back to pick it up. I've got most of the day to fix it. In the meantime, you might want to check out the Leap of Faith - it's an inn and tavern. If you ever find yourself about five hundred crowns up, you can buy a dilapidated house from the Aedile's office for cheap and fix it up with a little help. That'd be your best bet for decent permanent lodging. That's what I did!"

With that, she offered Shriyk a smile and looked over the weapon. Yes, this was definitely going to take some work, perhaps some minor re-forging, but there was no way she could mess this one up. A little polishing, some spot welding in a few places and that'd just about do it. An easy day's work.

CIR

Old May 28, 2013, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Notable

"Leap of Faith you say I hope that is their faith in starting a business not of their customers. Well I'll leave you to your work and return tomorrow," Shriyk replied, then set off in search of the inn.

He quickly found the inn, arranged a room before exploring the rest of the town. That night he returned to the inn stored he belongings in his room then settled in for dinner and chatted with the other guests.

The next morning he arose not to early visited a few of the other local shops that had been mentioned the previous night before returning to Duck's Weapon Shop to see Tani about his knife.

Upon arrival he greeted her, " Serale Tani, I hope this is not to forward but as you were so kind to repair my knife free of charge I asked around at the inn last night. They told me that you were a bit fond of this particular type of plant please take it as a gesture of my gratitude." Shriyk then slid the potted plant across the counter.

"Also if possible could you give me some advice of how to properly can for my blade to prevent it re-rusting and thus wasting you efforts?"

CIR

Active threads 5.
Old May 28, 2013, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Famous

Tani nodded her assent. "Certainly. See you soon!"

Tani's work was fairly simple, really. When she returned home for the night, she powered up her forge. As her forge was located behind her home, she did everything when she returned for the night and got straight to it. As she used her bellows to heat up the hearth, the coke coal already aflame, she considered the weapon, a rusted dagger. She could do basic repairs to this easily, she knw.

While she placed some iron in the hearth to let it melt down to appropriate temperature to spot weld later, Tani took her toolkit and found her oils and a a wire brush. These would allow her to scratch the rust directly off the surface and remove the outermost layer to reveal the damage to the dagger and show her the basic damage she'd need to repair with iron. Most of it came off in the first layer, which was nice. However, there was a lot left that would require a little heat, but that could come later.

Next, she had to consider where needed to be fully replaced and what needed to be set properly. First, the dagger's blade was partially heated in the forge to allow her to cold-work the metal. She placed the punch into one of the top slots of her anvil, took a hammer, and punched out the only place she could see that rust damage had taken it all. The blow took a considerable amount of effort, but the metal slid out, allowing Tani to pour, then smooth, the iron required to fill the hole. She brought the blade to welding temperature and hammered it upon the anvil until she could see no seam.

However, by that point it was late. Early the following brightening, Tani was already awake with the hot oils and wire brush, tending to the metal to remove every final spot of rust she could find, polishing the blade to a nice sheen, returning it to superior status once again.

When she took it into Duck's, she was there before Shriyk was, and was present when he arrived. And then potted plant! Highly colourful and entirely decorative, the little elven smith smiled. "It's beautiful. Thank you, Shriyk."

Placing the dagger upon the counter, Tani looked at him. "It's fairly simple. Use a lightly-oiled cloth to remove any hand prints or weather damage to the blade and it shouldn't go wrong at all. You can pick up the oils most places. I'm not sure if Duck stocks them here."

CIR

Old May 28, 2013, 06:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Notable

Upon seeing his dagger restored to its former glory Shriyk thanked Tani, " amazing how much difference you achieved over night. It looks as if the blade is brand new. So an oiled rag will preserve my dagger good to know. I'll be certain to find one." With that Shriyk sheathed the reforged dagger. With that Shriyk continued. "I'll be certain to look after this fine work and next time we do business I will probably be looking for arrows or at least steel heads for them you can make those can't you?"

CIR

Active threads 5.
Old May 28, 2013, 08:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Famous

Tani considered for a moment. "It's amazing what you can do with a little hard work," she told him with a grin. That changed into a pnderous thought for a moment as he considered."Steel heads I can do. Arrows in general, and fletching, not so much. I have to remind a lot of people I'm not a woodworker. You can buy them here, though, that's for sure."

CIR

Old May 28, 2013, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Notable

"Well thanks again for all your help. I'll be sure to return to you for all my smithy needs and if you need holes shot into anything let me know and I will try my best to get it done as efficiently as you aided me. Im sure we will see each other around town in the future. Till next time prosperity be with you." With that Shriyk turned to leave the store and continue his adventures in and around Demios very happy with his time in the city and improvements to his equipment.

CIR

Active threads 5.
Old May 29, 2013, 07:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Mind Sculptor

Jace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious SuperheroJace is a glorious Superhero

Congratulations!
Tanith earned 1 XP in Blacksmith!
Shriyk's dagger was fixed!

Jace is offline   Reply With Quote