Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Demios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2013, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Jade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious Superhero

[Paedia] Clockwork Contraptions Abound [Klue]

Spring Era X

The Gadgeteers Guild. Now what was it that she was doing there?

An impulse perhaps? A notion that perhaps she would find worthwhile skills inside. All viable possibilities of course as Jade was one that often went by instinct rather than thinking things out before she acted. She had heard of the Paedia from various local Demosians and found herself drawn by her curiosity. She had little else to do in Demios that brightening and Duncan was off doing something else. Might as well explore the island without dweling too deeply on past memories of those she knew before. Who knew if Rossem was still around anymore.

It wasnít hard enough to find the wing reserved for the eccentric lot of creators and as she stood at the door, she had to wonder just what it was that she was searching for in the Knowledge Seekerís Guild. Was it knowledge or was she simply bored and in need of something to occupy her time? It had been Duncan who had given her the thought of seeking out aid from a gadgeteer to create more traps for her spellbreaking and it had been a good idea but why not take it a step further? Why have others build her traps when she herself could do it if she learned how. There was something about creating something yourself that had a certain thrill to it, one she hadnít felt in quite a long time.

So she pushed open the doors and stepped into the Gadgeteersí Wing. She wasnít entirely sure what the protocol was in finding someone to teach her, she didnít even know if they did that here but might as well find out. Upon first glance one could easily tell that the woman wasnít a local or a customer either. She held a staff in hand that she leaned on and had didnít look capable of relaxing. Around her neck she wore a silver necklace with a dagger pendent and wore a simple black leather dress with a corset top that fit her like a glove. Her weapons other than her staff were hidden from view as she had little interest in putting others on their guard, especially if she wished to learn from them.

Nymira had chosen to remain in the Inn they were staying in, feeling the desire simply to have a brightening in where she could rest. It was highly unlikely her sister would need her. Jade was perfectly capable of handling herself without her Virkyn sister shadowing her. Plus Nym was rather intimidating without even meaning to be. It was perhaps best that she remained behind.

For the moment she waited patiently for someone to come over as she had no idea who to approach and she didnít wish to interrupt anyone at work. Brushing her long dark hair from her face, she simply enjoyed looking around at the different things going on. Busy busy busy.

When someone did approach her, Jade would offer a polite smile. "Serale, I have come here to speak to someone about learning this particular craft."
Jade Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Klue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

Just as Jade had discovered, the busy workshop wasn't hard to find. But the long hall that got her there was mostly deserted. As a general rule, the Paedia's meeker souls; the bookkeepers and historians, gemologists, the seamstresses, scholars and their research assistants; even the lone mortician slash vampire expert, the more daring volcanists and alchemists tended to give the resident gadgeteers a very wide berth. Especially at end of cycle when Dunlap Greene received his usual ration of black powder. They were liked well enough, respected plenty for the numerable wonders they turned out. But Paedians were largely a savvy lot. Self-preservation. You just never knew.

Jade wasn't the usual sort to turn up at the end of the hall. They got visitors plenty, though fewer women than men. Her face was an unfamiliar one on such a small island where neighbors knew each other, and others in turn. Making her out right away, most likely, as a mainlander or at least a new transplant. That and her choice of dark clothing set her apart. Dark choices, instead of the tendency of islanders to opt for bright, often mismatched colors. Even during this long, strange frigid spell.

She'd notice two occupants right away. Beneath a high window at the back wall, sat a white haired man on a stool. He was busy at some small child's contraption on his worktable, while a chubby, rosy cheeked cether with curling brown hair and round spectacles was perched beside him on another stool. Looking for all the world like a wide eyed child himself.

The shop was busy, but quieter than usual. Not silent though. Off in one corner, out from under a pile of scrap metal...somewhere, came a faint whirring, buzzing, clicking, plaintive whining sound. Elsewhere, there was the even fainter sound of something thick and slow dripping from on high, into an unseen puddle on the stone floors. Lastly, of a sudden, there was an audible grunt from up there in the rafters, followed by indecipherable grumbling, grousing, and the skittering of small feet along the central beam. An old rusty tin of nails, bolts and nuts tumbled off near the middle, and came crashing, spilling onto the floor.

Both occupants at the back wall abruptly looked up. "Digger, a little more care, will you?" the older man chided, before noticing Jade standing there. So much as his aged frame would let him, Waldo quickly took to his feet while the cether looked on, blinking, and blinking again curiously, pushing his spectacles up the bridge of his nose.

"Ah, Serale miss," the white haired fellow said with a smile as he approached. "Forgive me for not seeing you come in." Possible part of his hearing was gone by now. Nature of the trade. "Welcome, welcome nonetheless. My name is Waldo Greer and this is Percival Platt," he added in regards to the cether. And the little fellow chimed in. "You can call me Blinky. Everyone does."

"So you want to learn a little gadgeteering?" Waldo added then. The man was tall and reedy and looked to be in his mid-sixties. Kind eyes and a genial way about him. He might've been a gentleman's gentleman, as easily as a mechanist, if not for the sooty smudges on his fingertips. He didn't make much of the notion that Jade might look an unusual prospect for gadgeteering interests. By now he knew better. They'd trained politicians to the trade by now, folks with interests in arms, even a young priest, not so long ago.

"Well, you've certainly come to the right place. We do provide training here on occasion. Tell me though," he wondered. "Do you have a particular area of interest in mind, or are you interested in the trade as a whole?" It mattered not at all, so far as agreeing to teach. It was more curiosity. Aspiring gadgeteers came calling with broad fixations. Sometimes only aspiring watch or toy makers. Others wanted to craft weapons, still, others wanted to fly. It was always a wonder, discovering what each prospective student had in mind.
I care that they don't have any of their own.
Nikola Tesla
Klue Malinconico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mythic

Jade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious SuperheroJade Alanon is a glorious Superhero

It was an interesting place to say the least. Full of so much to catch the eye, part of her wished she had more time to spend on the island of Demios so she was able to spend more time in the Paedia. She could easily akin the Paedia to the Krevion in terms of knowledge and those who sought it. A true thing of beauty for the scholar within that had not be allowed to breath for a long time. Her thirst for knowledge had always been placed in learning how to use different weapons and still very much is just that but since she became unbound as a spellbreaker there has been more to it.

While still very knew to the world of a spellbreaker, it all intrigued her and brought back a part of her that she had lost when her life had been taken all those centuries ago. She was excited by the things she could create as well as the traps she wished to use in order to harvest the essence of arcana that surrounded her. It was everywhere, just needed to be able to harvest it. So here she was, intent on learning how to use gadgetry to suit her purpose. Plus it was yet another skill to learn that she could put to later use.

It was because of the unseen ‘Digger’ that attention shifted from their work to the presence of Jade which she was grateful for. The older gentleman stood first and the cethar watched her carefully. She offered a warm enough smile towards the older man as he greeted her. He first introduced himself and then his associate Blinky, an amusing little fellow it seemed. “A pleasure, I am Jade.” Nymira wasn’t there thankfully which meant one less person to introduce plus she had a feeling Nymira might have added an unnecessary element of intimidation.

“Yes, I am very interested in learning a little gadgeteering.” The fact that she hadn’t been turned away yet hopefully meant that they took on students. She only had to hope that she didn’t need to join in order to learn, some places were like that and if that was the case she would have to pass it up as she had no way of remaining on Demios permanently. An actual smile touched her lips when he went on to say that they did indeed provide training. She thought over his question carefully before casually shrugging. “I suppose it would be an interest in the trade as a whole though I do intend on putting it to my own uses.” So perhaps it was a particular area of interest after all. “You see, I am a spellbreaker, fairly new to the craft and I wish to use gadgeteering in my crafting as well as the making of traps.”

She paused a moment before adding. "What are the terms of payment for such training?"
Old May 15, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mythic

Klue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Jade," Waldo replied, and Blinky piped in, while pushing his spectacles, once again, up the bridge of his nose. "That's a nice name...Jade," the cether mused. And blushed a little round the cheeks.

Jade had offered up an explanation for her interest in the trade. But before Waldo could reply, a raspy, cantankerous seeming voice came drifting down from the rafters. "Spellbreaker? Wha's that? For undoin' mages' work?" If Jade looked up, she'd discover the workshop's smallest crew member peering down at her. A gnome, no more than a foot tall with dark, intensely curious eyes. His feet were large and hairy, his toes curled over the beam and he was dressed in a grimy, sooty pair of coveralls. His nose was a large one and his hair was dark, unkempt and stuck out at odd angles.

"What kind o' traps? Not th' kind t' catch animals with, aye?" It was rare that something caught the pint-sized perpetrator's curiosity enough, so to lure him out of hiding. "Manners, Digger," Waldo chided with what appeared to be an endless supply of patience. In truth, as contrary as the little fellow was sometimes, among the crew, Digger's gadgeteering skills were impressive ones.

"Like my little friend up there," Waldo continued while turning back to Jade, "I'm afraid I don't know much about spellbreakers or the sorts of traps you're interested in crafting. But...fascinating," he admitted with a smile. "Nonetheless, we'll be happy to train you miss. The Chief might have some ideas as well, so far as your particular interests. The training will require a few brightenings of your time, and the terms are simple ones. Depending on your needs," he added before explaining.

"Will you require a bed during your stay on the island, here at the Paedia? If you do, the costs for lodging and training will be a hundred and twenty crowns. If no, then the costs will be one hundred. In either case, you'll be welcome to take a meal per brightening in our dining hall,"..."The food's very good there," Blinky chimed in, "Especially the fish stew"

Waldo smiled, indulging the cether's interruption, and picked up where he'd left off. "Yes, where was I? Ah, a meal per brightening in the dining hall, and access to our library, here at the Paedia. It's one of the finest in the Empire," he added before Blinky had a chance to. "So a hundred twenty crowns with a bed, or a hundred without it. At the end of your training, you'll receive a small toolkit for your personal use, and take with you any mechanisms that you craft over the course of your training," he said, and the rest was up to Jade.
Nikola Tesla

Last edited by Klue Malinconico; May 15, 2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old June 17, 2013, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mythic

The little cether blushed as he complimented her and she smiled, she had heard that from a lot of people before but he seemed to be genuine and no one could say that Jade was never nice. The people here seemed to be kind hard workers willing to teach any who came to learn. She may not like many people but at least she found tolerable people while she learned how to make gadgets and such, hopefully she didn’t fail horribly at it. That would be embarrassing.

Jade explained why she wished to learn but before any other questions could be asked by those actually in the current flow of conversation, another voice rang out and oddly enough it came from above them. A brow arched as Jade looked in the direction of the voice to find the owner watching them from above, a gnome by the looks of things. “Not all a spellbreaker is capable of but that is part of it.” She answered, hoping that they didn’t ask too many questions of her since honestly, she was still new to the craft. “And no, I won’t be catching animals with these traps. They work with arcana, not anything living.”

The little gnome was scolded by Waldo though really he wasn’t bothering Jade all that much. He would have known if he was pushing the assassin’s buttons. Not that Jade had any intention of acting out violently towards anyone but one never knew what could happen.

“From what I can tell, spellbreakers aren’t a very common sight. I admit I myself am new to it so I don’t know a great deal about it but the traps to be made will be simple I’m sure and I’ll answer any questions you might have if I am able.” A trade of knowledge perhaps? Though coins would be given as well since she knew she would have to pay to be trained. He mentioned the Chief though it seemed that he was not around. No matter, she would most likely meet him over the time spent here learning. “I am glad to hear that, hopefully I do not prove unteachable.” A few brightenings was fine given her time spent here on Demios already.

“A bed won’t be necessary as I have accommodations elsewhere on the island. As for a meal, I’m sure I will work up an appetite with whatever I’m learning to eat here.” The little cether interrupted again though Waldo took it in stride, he was obviously very fond of Blinky. Access to their library as well, now that would be interesting. Would be nothing in comparison to the Krevion in it’s prime of course but nothing ever would be, didn’t mean she couldn’t enjoy other libraries. “A hundred crowns it is then.” She said with a nod. “Do you wish me to pay in advance or when the training has come to an end?” She didn’t mind either way really. “Will I be learning on my own or with other students because I must admit I prefer to learn on my own.”
Old May 21, 2014, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mythic

"Well, I'd certainly be interested in learning more over the course, miss," Waldo observed in the wake of Jade's remarked. The elderly gadgeteer hadn't the least experience with magic, but above all, Waldo was a scholar always in pursuit of more knowledge.

"Hmph" was all that drifted down from the, ordinarily, disgruntled Digger before he disappeared into the shadows above the rafters again. It might've been an indication of keen interest, or on the other hand, extreme boredom. One never really knew for sure if the gnome was anything else but disgruntled.

"There's no need to pay now, miss, we can simply settle accounts when the learning is done," Waldo assured her with a grandfatherly smile. "And while other areas of the Paedia sometimes offer sessions in groups, the Chief...all of us tend to prefer to teach individually. It may be though, if you don't object of course, that you'll be working with more than one of us at different times along the way."

He waited to see if she'd object. But the method tended to work well since each crew member had their particular strengths and specialties, as did the Chief. "If we're in agreement then, I suppose we could begin first thing in the morning, if you'd like to return then?" the old man wondered.
Nikola Tesla
Old June 7, 2014, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mythic

There was still a lot that Jade didn’t know about spellbreaking, she was still learning herself but she saw nothing wrong with sharing what she did know with others. Especially those that were sharing knowledge with her as well. Gadgetry was fascinating to watch and there was a great many things she could do with it in terms of spellbreaking. She could use it to make traps and focuses alike. So much potential. “I have no problem sharing what I know about spellbreaking as a craft.”

One minute the gnome was there and the next, with a indiscernible grunt, he was gone again. Interesting bunch these workers were, no doubt there. She watched him vanish with an arched brow before looking back at Waldo.

No need to pay beforehand? They were a trusting bunch as well. Not something Jade was used to if she was being honest and it took her by surprise. She was tempted to insist on paying half at least but there was no sense in arguing. Instead she simply offered a little smile and nodded. “As long as I am learning, I honestly don’t mind who teaches me.” She shrugged, it didn’t bother her so long as she got the skills she was after and if more minds offered different techniques then she was all for it. “Will I meet Chief?” He was the leader she presumed.

“I will see you tomorrow then.” Jade gave a wave to those that were still there and headed off. She would head back to where she was staying for the darkening and return at first light the next morning.

Next Morning…

The next morning Jade arrived not long after the suns had risen in the skies. She was bright-eyed and looking quite happy, excited even to be learning from these men. She would wait for them to receive her since she didn’t really know much about protocol when it came to taking lessons at the Paedia. Different teachers had different styles of teaching and different temperaments. "I am ready when you are." She would say when she saw someone came in.
Old June 8, 2014, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mythic

Jade would certainly be meeting the Chief, Waldo had told her before showing her out to the Paedia's main entrance. In fact, chances were he'd be taking up a great deal of her learning, and would be there bright and early. He wore a variety of hats though, Waldo added, and had been out this brightening tending to other business matters.

Nonetheless, the pair of them had sorted out the details, and the elderly gadgeteer politely saw her on her way, and bid her "Good brightening then, miss. We'll be seeing you on the morrow."

It was early next morning when Jade returned, but she'd discover the shop already buzzing with activity. The heavy doors were wide open, as was another on the far side of the room that looked to spill out into a sunny, grassy area. There were three men standing there in that doorway, caught up in conversation. Three who she hadn't met when she'd been here before. There was a tall, fit human of probable western desert origins who looked more the warrior than innovator. A reedy looking half elf with an impossibly fair complexion and a shock of red hair.

The last human was well over six feet in height, aged in his early twenties, with origins somewhat difficult to decipher. Not surprising, considering that Klue was a Eunesian / Vagaran hybrid, raised in Candaceburg in Prime province and a resident of Demios for a good five or six eras.

Nevertheless, it was him that spotted her just after she came through the doors. And in response, handed one of the men an old key from his pocket and sent them on their way, out into the courtyard.

Klue was dressed in buff colored trousers made of sturdy material, scuffed, time worn boots, suspenders, and since he'd been expecting a student, he'd gone so far as to tuck in a bright red shirt with its sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He had a thin silver loop pierced through one ear, strung with small volcanic glass and silver, irregular shaped beads. He might not seem a native Demosian from his stature and complexion, but it seemed he'd embraced completely his fellow islanders' love of color and drama.

He approached Jade with a friendly but curious smile. He could hardly be faulted for it, even though he'd been warned. She wasn't the least hard on the eyes but it made her presence here all the more curious. The innovators' wing didn't see many female visitors. Even fewer that were looking for schooling. Not unheard of. Just unusual.

"Good brightening," he said. "You must be Jade, yes?" Once she confirmed it, he added. "I'm Klue Malinconico. I guess you could say I do my best to keep order around here. Sometimes I do a fair job of it. Waldo has told me that you're interested in learning a little gadgeteering."

"Please, have a seat. Can I get you a cup of tea or coffee?" he offered as he gestured to one of the stools at a large worktable in the room's center. Once he'd sat down on a second stool, with or without the tea, he continued. "Waldo mentioned that you've an interest in traps...for spellbreaking?" he asked. "I have to admit I'm only vaguely familiar with the craft. Or what these traps might entail. But I can fairly say that if it doesn't require spells to craft them, we'll figure a way before we're done." After all, Klue was no mage and there were none on his crew. But he did like to think that much of what they created here, in its own right, was a little bit of magic.

"A question then," he said, "so we can decide how best to start." It made little sense, he explained, to spend too much time on things she might already have plenty of experience with. Or even formal training. Better to focus more on those she was more keen to explore. This way, he could ensure that she got the most from her time at the Paedia. "Do you have any schooling, or experience with woodworking for instance?" Klue asked.
Nikola Tesla
Old August 1, 2014, 05:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mythic

The next morning came and Jade was up early and heading over to the Paedia for her lessons. Nymira remained in the Inn where they were staying as she disliked getting up this early but Jade didn’t mind, she was excited to be learning new skills that she could use in her spellbreaking. Stepping in, the Paedia was alive with activity regardless of how early it was, rather surprising really but it put a small smile on her face as she stepped in and watched the bustling with interest. Three men stood off in the distance, none of which she recognized, they were caught up in conversation so she didn’t bother approaching them, instead she just waited to see if Waldo or one of the others were about.

Dressed in a black corset dress that hugged her body with a staff in hand, Jade appeared relaxed but that could change in an instant should anything happen. She didn’t think it would but Jade was paranoid for a reason and it had kept her alive this long. Movement from the group of men caught her eye and she glanced over, noticing one of the men walking towards her. He was handsome enough though he didn’t look completely like an islander.

Jade wasn’t known for her social graces but given that she had come here of her own accord to learn, she decided to be pleasant and offered Klue a smile in return. She nodded and he introduced himself. “I am. I am going to assume you are the one they call Chief?”

Taking a seat, Jade declined the offer of a drink, focusing instead on why she was here. He was a pleasant enough sort though she didn’t know what he’d be like as a teacher. Harsh? Firm but fair? Jade preferred someone who pushed her like Dimiah had but that had been in arms, this would be different. “Not many are familiar with spellbreaking.” She said with a half-shrug. She was used to having to explain herself when she introduced her as such. “I have made other traps before so I know it does not require any sort of arcana but my craft is growing and I am in need of more advanced traps.” She knew what she wanted, she just needed to be shown how to do it.

Woodworking? Jade shook her head with a small laugh. “The only thing about woodworking I know is how to cut up firewood and set it on fire. Everything else is rather lost on me.” She had no schooling for any of those types. “I’ve seen it done but never tried it myself. Is that necessary?”
Old August 4, 2014, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mythic

Chief? The gadgeteer smiled in response. "Aye, that would be me. The title wasn't my doing necessarily. Inherited from the shop's Chief before me, and the one before that." Where had it started? In all likelihood, with Lucas, one of the two gadgeteering spirits who were as often as not, peering over his shoulder when he was working. "Klue would suit me just as well, if you'd prefer," he offered.

Miss Alanon was not the least unattractive. It had only taken a quick glance to realize she could provide quite the distraction in a shop that rarely had female visitors. For Dunnie in particular. It stood to reason, it only took a pretty woman passing by in the hall outside workshop doors, to have Dunnie's cheeks blushing crimson.

But woodworking...gadgeteering. Was it necessary? "As part of the course, I'm afraid so. At least the bare basics. Woodcraft," he explained, "is used extensively by some gadgeteers, and seldom by others, depending on their particular style and interest. My preference is metalwork, so I tend to leave the wood crafted details to one of my crew, since its his preferred medium."

"But since you've no wood crafting experience already, we'll make it as quick and painless for you as possible," he added with a good-natured grin, as he stood up and gestured off towards a section of the workshop where a second large work table was set up. Around it were numerous carts, chests and cabinets, presumably fool of tools. There was a large wood working lathe at one end of the table. and an automated rotary saw nearby it. Against the wall, on the floor was a large pallet with stacks of wood pieces in all sizes and of different varieties.

"Come," Klue said and led Jade over to the worktable there. "I hope you don't mind, but for gadgeteering, a hands on approach tends to be much more effective than dry lectures and note taking. I also prefer to work with your particular area of interest, rather than a one size fits all approach. So," he said, "You're interested in traps. If you don't mind....You mentioned that you've built other traps before. Could you describe one or two of them to me, so I can get a better idea of where to start?" he wondered.
Nikola Tesla
Old August 6, 2014, 07:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Mythic

An inherited title, interesting though understandable as it was likely a term of respect and a sign of leadership. He was much like Jade when it came to her business, first name was preferred. She nodded. “Klue it is then.”

There was always excitement when learning something new, especially when it would likely prove advantageous to her spellbreaking craft that she was so passionate about. She hadn’t expected woodcrafting to be important but she was willing to try it if it would help her learn gadgeteering. “I am willing to learn whatever you believe is necessary to become proficient in gadgeteering. I have a friend in blacksmithing that may be willing to teach me more about metalwork but for now I will focus on the basics of woodcraft.” Jade may not be the most social person nor did she enjoy authority figures but she was willing to show respect when it was due and she was an avid student when it involved something she wished to learn.

He was a friendly sort, quick to smile and just seemed to enjoy being around people from what Jade could tell. She offered a smile as she followed him towards the workshop where she was set to learning how to work with wood. Woodcrafting wouldn’t be bad to know given the different kind of traps she could make with wood as well. Carvings and such plus it could be used for focuses as well. All in all Jade was willing to learn just about anything.

Hands-on approach worked better for Jade as well. “I prefer that to lectures.” He wanted to know more about the traps she’s made which was understandable.

“Traps are a bit odd. The first trap I ever received was a wooden box with the symbols of the elements carved into sides and a hole at the top in order to place the seed inside.” She still had that particular trap and used it from time to time. “I didn’t build that thought as it was given to me by my teacher. Traps for spellbreaking are different for different spheres, skulls and dirt from a grave work well for necromancy and death essence while mirrors work well for mysticism.” She shrugged. “I have used a trap involving gears and such for druidism once before. It was a wooden box with gears fixed on top, don’t ask me what it was used for before because I don’t know.” She realized at this point that she was talking too much now and laughed. “My apologies, I rant at times. Was that enough information for us to get started?”
Old August 10, 2014, 07:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mythic

'Never fear," Klue told Jade as the two of them moved from the workbench to Dunnie's woodcrafting station. "By cycle's end, you may have had your fill of gear work as well. And if you're interested in learning how to run a small forge and pour your own gears and other components," he offered as he took a key from his pocket and unlocked several cabinets. "It's not generally a part of early gadgeteering, but I can teach you a little of that too."

Klue had found it to be often the case, that those interested in gadgeteering were less interested in woodworking. He couldn't blame them really, he'd felt similar himself. Crafting wood components had never been his preference and most of his focus had been on working with metals. But as time went on, he'd come to appreciate more and more, the many advantages of combining the two elements. So when he was asked to share the skill...there was woodworking too.

She seemed more than willing, at any rate. And so Klue determined that surely between them, with her knowledge of spell breaking and traps, and his of gadgeteering, they could come up with something by the end of her course that she'd be proud to take away with her...along with the skill, of course. When she finished, he grinned a little and shook his head. "There's no need to apologize. I've been accused of going on, myself, but you've given me an idea or two."

With that in mind, from a drawer under the workbench Klue pulled out a scrap of brown butchers' paper and a pencil, and frowned thoughtfully while sketching away. "What I like to do is identify a project early on, that a student can start with wood components, and finish with gear work. One that will move with them from beginning to end," he explained. "By the end they ought to have a well made piece that they can take with them. My last student for instance was interested in clockwork, and left with a very fine timepiece in his pocket." Klue had always wondered what had become of that funny little priest.

"You say that mirrors work well for mysticism?" he asked. Most of it, largely remained a mystery to the gadgeteer. But she'd given him an idea or two. "What, then, about a trap that appears to be something else entirely. Something," Klue considered, "something benign...whimsical even. Like a small, handbag sized mirrored music box?" he suggested as he slid the drawing over to Jade.

"Ordinarily," Klue said then, "this type of music box is intended to be opened up for winding and playing. However I think we can modify this one so that you might open it if you prefer, or keep it locked tight. With a few modifications, it will wind and play all the same. And correct me if I'm wrong, but am I to understand that its preferred, to insert the seed into the trap without opening it up? For instance, the design can be modified so that this small crank on the side," Klue said and pointed it out, "will not only operate the music box device without unlocking and opening up the box. But it can also be pulled out in order to insert a...seed? And then inserted again."

"Meantime, the music box device can be oiled and maintained," he said lastly, "through a metal access valve inserted into the bottom of the box." With all this in mind, Klue considered what type of wood might work best for Jade, and assumed that a fairly hard wood might be preferable. And if it was to resemble something other than what it was, then cherry might be the wood of choice. Add to that all the tools she'd need, from the chests and cabinets around them. But first he needed Jade's thoughts on the design. "Would you be able to use something like this as a trap?" If such a thing wouldn't be useful to her as a trap, he'd prefer to start with something else entirely.
Nikola Tesla
Old September 9, 2014, 04:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mythic

Never fear? No problem with that, Jade didn’t fear much of anything. Much less learning how to work gadgetry. The fact that woodworking was involved didn’t worry her all that much; it just surprised her was all. “In all honesty, I am willing to learn whatever you wish to teach me. I came to learn how to work gadgetry but I am not adverse to learning more than that. Whatever will help me work my craft.” Jade was a belligerent bitch that annoyed most people in her life but when it actually came to learning, she was focused and respectful. She just didn’t let many people know that, she had a reputation to uphold after all.

Woodwork was something that she could learn given the different kind of traps that she was to make in spellbreaking. It was more personal creating your own, gave you more of a connection with the pieces and you know how to use them better as well. Working with wood wasn’t as exciting but it was something she’d have to learn eventually, might as well get it done here with a teacher who seemed more than willing. He was a kind man from what Jade could tell, it almost confused her given the way she was used to be being trained by Dimiah back at Coldlight Citadel.

She apologized for rambling but he took it well, dismissing her apology and admitting that he was guilty of it as well. Jade smiled and laughed. “I suppose those with passion for their craft often get caught up in it all. I may still be relatively in the path of a spellbreaker but I aim to become quite proficient in creation as well as disrupting arcana.” There was some disdain when she spoke of arcana, she disliked it as many others did but unlike others, she had done something about it. She would no longer have to fear being a victim of arcana. Some ideas? Interesting. A brow perked to show her interest and she followed him as he began to sketch. Feck… did she have to learn how to draw as well?

“Clockwork was what drew my attention, I won’t deny but I am rather openminded, if woodwork helps further my knowledge of gadgetry than so be it.” She shrugged. “Will I need to learn how to sketch because that may be a bit of an overload?” She laughed to show that she was teasing to some degree and yet there was a small pause after the laugh which suggested some hesitation. Come for one skill and leave with half a dozen extras.

She nodded at his question, arms crossed over her chest and weight shifting from one foot to the other as she considered what he proposed as the project. A mirrored music box as a trap? That was interesting and unexpected, it could possibly be used to collect pocket contamination rather than something stronger but it was an interesting idea to say the least. His idea was quite clever and it would be a good trap for mysticism as well bardism. “I like it. Small and transportable but perfectly accessible.” The insert for the seed would be highly necessary since it would be used as a trap.

“I believe that would be the perfect project to learn with and it would suit my purposes just fine.” She was actually feeling excited about working on this. “What do we do first?”
Old September 17, 2014, 11:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mythic

"Well," Klue remarked as he got the workbench ready for the work ahead of them, and smiled a little. "I suppose it might apply to passions of any kind...Trades, or personal ones." Belatedly, though he hadn't meant anything personal by it, Klue realized that to some sets of ears the offhand remark might sound innapropriate and his smile quirked into a brief grin; and he shook his head.

As for Jade's trade, in spite of his wife and a few trusted friends being mages, his own views on spell work were more ambivalent ones. "So I'm curious. If it's not too complicate to explain, how do you break a spell? And a trap, it stores it indefinitely?" he wondered.

As for their current task, he shook his head. "Some gadgeteers build entire, intricate machines almost entirely out of wood. Wooden gears, pistons, cranks, top to bottom," he explained while turning ot the cabinet and pulling out a number of hand tools to arrange on their work surface. There's a number of reasons to but most of them are aesthetic ones and I'm sure you can imagine its a more time consuming process that using metal components. But no,"[/i][/b] he assured her, "you needn't learn to sketch. Most of my early designs, I simply envisioned them, stored them in my imagination, worked from that. It was only later I sketched them out on paper."

"Right then," Klue said, getting back to the task at hand. "Here in front of you are all the hand tools you'll need to complete your box, and more. This is our set for students, so you'll see that the names of the tools have been painted onto either their handles, some other flat surface or on their containers. What they can be used for should be fairly self-evident in most cases, but if something seems more mysterious," he added with a good-natured smile, "don't hesitate to ask."

"You've got both a tape style and a square measure to use, and our box will be three and a half inches by one and a half. Carpentry is only a very small part of gadgeteering, less often used so I'll have you cut two panels for the box by hand while I cut the others with the table saw." The arrangement would save Jade a great deal of labor, and cut short the time they need spend on wood crafting...Then they could move on to the more interesting gear work. "So using the tools here, you'll need to measure and cut a three and a half inch square panel from the cherry wood we've got here, and another piece which is one and a half inches tall, by three and a half inches long. I'll cut the rest."

'You can use the clamp to hold your wood in place and stabilize your work. Remember," he cautioned, referring back to the drawing of the music box, in particular the angled corners where panels came together. "The box itself will be just that, squared off, but in order for the panels to come together properly, you must measure and cut the edges, each at an angle. I will also cut the smaller pieces that form the raised, underside of the box," he offered, since the table saw would make quick work of those.

"Now once we've got all the panels and pieces cut, you can piece them together with hammer and nails. All with the exception of top panel, which we'll attach later with decorative hinges and a clasp and lock. Lastly," he told Jade before both of them set to work. "You can use a piece of fine grit sandpaper to smooth the whole thing over and dull the edges and corners a little. We'll stain and polish it later on in the process."

So leaving Jade to do her part, Klue pulled on a set of gloves and got the nearby table saw running. While she worked then, he could produce the additional pieces she'd need to finally put the box together. And when he was done, he stacked those cut and measured pieces nearby, so when she was ready for them she could finish the box herself. "I meant to ask earlier," Klue said while Jade worked, "Is this your first visit to Demios. A lot of visitors come once, become fond of the island and thereafter tend to come and go frequently. Others come once and stay for good. And yet some others come to see what all the dragon worship is about, and never return again." Klue couldn't recall having seen her on the island before, so he could only wonder, which of those types of visitors she was.
Nikola Tesla
Old October 8, 2014, 08:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mythic

Jade had never been much of a craftswoman before she had discovered the path of the spellbreaker and even before then she had only learned so she could keep arcana from being used on her, but she had grown into one who wanted to see what she was capable of in the crafting world. She knew that involved learning more about crafting other things as well as hard work in all that she did but Jade had no problem with this fact, if anything she relished the challenge. Some might have considered his remark inappropriate but Jade knew what he meant and she offered a nod and smile in response.

“As a spellbreaker, I have a connection to the material plane which allows me to see the weaves of spells being cast and tear them apart.” That part wasn’t too complicated to explain at least. “There are other tricks as well but I shan’t reveal them all.” She said with a playful grin. “The trap doesn’t store the contamination, that is saved for the seed, the trap is simply the guiding force behind it.” How best to explain it. “Much like the bow is simply made to propel the arrow forward.”

Wooden gadgets? She could see why that would be done but gods… “I can imagine those gadgeteers have a lot of splinters as well and a potential aversion to trees after a while.” There was nothing wrong with learning woodwork as it would mean she could build simpler traps and focuses but that wasn’t her main focus. “Still, I can see how sketching would help.” She might pick up on it, one never knew.

Jade looked over the tools that were laid before her. She would get used to them over time. Spellbreaking didn’t have so many needed tools, at least not like this but gadgeteering was literally more hands on. Picking up the tools as he spoke, she looked over the different names, trying to familiarize herself as best as she could before she was given her first task. Measuring with the tape and square measure, she would use the clamp and began to cut the panels, her hand steady though uncertain. She took her time as she didn’t want to look foolish or begin again.

Reaching for the sandpaper, Jade went over the pieces she had cut to smooth them out. She wanted them nice so that her first creation looked pleasant enough if a little ratty given she was new. Repetition bred improvement. She would follow the instructions she had been given, working out how the box was meant to be put together even while Klue asked her some questions. “It is not my first visit and I don’t see it being my last either.” She said with a smile though her eyes only flickered to the handsome gentleman before she went back to working on the box. “I have great respect for the dragons though I don’t even know if they exist here anymore.” Dragons were a rarity after all.