Old May 4, 2013, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Famous

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Tanith Ilara is a benevolent AdventurerTanith Ilara is a benevolent Adventurer
A Little Bit Of Light [Gloan]

This place was a lot more difficult than she'd been expecting. Admittedly, four hundred and fifty crowns wasn't much, but Tanith's home was little more than a one-room home with most of a roof - most, not all - and no windows thanks to all of them being blown away by the cyclone. The first couple days of Tanith's life in Demios had just been cleaning, no renovations... just getting things back in working order and cleaning all the glass out of the house. Fortunately, it was mostly furnished with all the basics... the very basics. It wasn't glamorous, or pretty. Actually, truth told, it was remedial and good enough for what she needed for now. At least the door locked and she could leave her belongings at home.

But when Tanith walked down the streets of Demios, hands in her pockets and looking downcast, the weight of the world seemed to rest on the petite elf's shoulders. She was away from home, she was only just starting to get used to the idea of being away from everything she knew. And while she had some job security here, the fact that darkness consumed every waking moment of her life at home said little about how the Medonian felt deep down in her soul. Demios was a beautiful yet strenuous place to live. Was she actually ready?

So, trudging down the streets around her home, she contemplated how she was going to fix her place up so that, maybe, there was a little more light in her life.

CIR

Like our work? Support Ilara Forgeworks with green rep!

Tanith Ilara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Steel
Gloan Hammerfist is a benevolent AdventurerGloan Hammerfist is a benevolent Adventurer

Gloan stood looking... at nothing mostly. He took in the sights of Demios as he would any place that he had never been before: the architecture, the flora and fauna, the way the roads weaved their way through the city. He watched as Tanith trudged towards, maybe oblivious to his existence. He was from Arium, and he knew the look she had well.

Gloan wore a green woolen shirt and pants. His boots were tan leather. On his hips hung a dozen custom-made, steel throwing axes, and on his back was a dwarven steel bearded axe. He had long red hair that was in two braids, his mustache was bushy and braided in the same way. His copper-toned chin was clean shaven.

"You there! Elf! What seems to be the problem," he asked. He usually did not trouble himself with the condition of others... especially elves, but he was in a good mood this brightening.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Famous

And then dwarf.

As far as Tani knew, dwarves and elves did not tend to get along well; long-standing racial animosity and all that for reasons that Tani didn't actually know because it wasn't exactly important. She knew that, on principle, the dwarves were not to be trusted, and the dwarves did not trust their kind. However, when a dwarf was actually going out of his way to speak to her, chances were that he was either picking a fight or actually being a good person because, judging a person by the past actions of one's species was totally acceptable anywhere, right?

"Oh, ah, serale," Tani started, almost absent-mindedly. "I just moved here and my house isn't all that up to scratch and I'm not sure what to do about it."

Conversely, Tanith was dressed in absolutely plain clothes, no weapons, nothing really marking her as anything important or anyone beyond just a random unwashed person. She really didn't feel much better than it, too. Moving out of home so young hadn't been the best idea. Living with the consequences of the decision was only bringing her some sadness, if only temporarily, but all things in time... and she was still developing the long-term decisiveness of her race.

CIR

Old May 4, 2013, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Notable

Gloan Hammerfist is a benevolent AdventurerGloan Hammerfist is a benevolent Adventurer

"Gutentag. My name is Gloan Hammerfist, and I have just arrived as well. You would not happen to be a refugee from the west would you? I have visited the camp on the Arium border, and it is not a pretty sight." His brow crinkled in thought.

"As for your house, what do you mean? Leaky roof or some such?" Gloan had just purchased a 35 room clan house in Zerdargia and knew how tedious maintenance could be.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Famous

"Ah, no. I just moved here from Nexus Prime, away from my family... I'm not exactly a refugee, I came here by choice," Tani told Gloan. Which was strange, considering he was a stranger and she was already telling him personal information. Was that a bad move? Ah, the impetus of youth. She was doing something very silly by all accounts of logic, but what choice did she have? She was depressed enough that Tanith needed to get the burden off her chest and ease the load somehow - if projecting it onto a stranger who was genuinely curious helped, then so be it.

"Let's see... um, there's some missing roof, some damaged walls, no windows... it's sort of broken badly," the Medonian admitted, looking down at her feet as she did so. "I mean, it was cheap, but it's so hard to live in a place like that! I didn't expect that."

CIR

Old May 4, 2013, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Notable

Gloan chuckled.

"That is a bad state of affairs," he said. "Perhaps you should just knock it down and start over." The words were already out of his mouth before he realized what he had said.

"Perhaps I can be of some help," he added quickly. "I am bored, and I do not know anyone here. Maybe I can at least assist you in patching your roof."

He was a dwarf, a young dwarf by their standards, who was not afraid of a little hard work.
Old May 4, 2013, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Famous

The elf's eyes went wide at that very suggestion, clearly taken aback. "Knock it down? I couldn't..." she replied, trailing off, unsure what to actually stay to that. Well, if he knew what he was doing, but... no. It was her home. It was quite literally all she had and there couldn't be anything else. After all, with what money would she obtain anything else?

However, the dwarf's offer did not fall on deaf ears and a true gratitude welled up from inside Tani's chest. "I'd appreciate that," was her answer, conveyed with the thanks that she was feeling. "I don't know anything about fixing houses so I'd be grateful for any help you'd be able to give. But I only have a hundred crowns to make the repairs..."

Which, really, was her problem. She was glad to spend a little on the repairs, of course, but she also had to eat.

CIR

Old May 5, 2013, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Notable

Gloan waved a dismissive hand at the mention of crowns. "Its alright. It shouldn't be too much. I would like to see what we are up against, then we can head over to the hardware store and figure out the rest. I saw it as I was walking around. It looked like it was pretty well stocked."

Gloan put out his hand in front of him, asking her to lead the way.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Famous

Tani nodded her head. Really, she hadn't epxlored much; just the idea of tackling the leviathan that was her new home was difficult to handle. She didn't so much mind the idea of doing it, it was simply the depth and complexity of the task at hand. Without the knowledge to handle it, well, she just didn't know how she was going to do it. With Gloan's help, hopefully the task would seem infinitely less daunting.

"Okay," she finally said, then turned around to head towards her home, which mercifully was nearby. The damage was obvious upon first glance. Chunks of roof missing, walls damaged, cracked and torn. Windows shattered and missing. Less visible was the internal water damage and the general state of affairs inside... it was going to be difficult to fix up the house, and costly. The worry was justified.

CIR

Old May 6, 2013, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Notable

Upon arriving at Tanith's home, Gloan's jaw dropped. At first he had thought she stopped in front of this place just to take a breather... then reality set in. "This is your home?.." he asked. "They sure saw you coming."

He chuckled. He began to walk around the building, still in eyesight of Tanith, surveying the damage. He was no carpenter, but it didn't take one to see what horrible shape this place was in.

"You weren't kidding. New roof, new walls, windows... I am almost afraid to see the inside."
Old May 6, 2013, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Famous

Her eyes lowered as she spoke, almost physically feeling the admonition to the point that it made her nervous. Yes, this place was horrifically poorly off right now and she knew it."It's not a pretty sight... but somehow, it's still home. Really, it's worth it."

Finally she turned to Gloan out of sheer curiosity and had to ask. "Do you know much about fixing a roof?" Rain was probably her biggest fear. Sheets could be put over holes, but that would not stand up against rain, and more damage was going to be the bane of her existence.

CIR

Old May 6, 2013, 02:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Notable

"I wouldn't hire myself to build one," he said honestly. "But I'm sure that we can patch this roof and replace these windows without much of a problem. The walls on the other hand might be a problem. We should probably reinforce them and patch them from the inside first."

Gloan was making a mental note of all of these things. He was going to have to explain to the shopkeep exactly what he needed.
Old May 6, 2013, 02:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Famous

It was at least fortunate that this home was made almost entirely out of wood; most of the repairs simply meant 'put a new timber in' or some such thing. Walls, yes. Windows could just be boarded up if need be and the floor was the same. No windows wasn't a big deal, but Tani would have much preferred no light in to light with a chance of rain.

"I think we can just get a stack of wood and hopefully make the repairs," she finally admitted. "The inside isn't anywhere near as bad, just some warped wood because of rain."

CIR

Old May 6, 2013, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Notable

"You have to be careful of rot," Gloan replied. He knew much about rotting wood from his time as Harbor Master of Paxia. "If we are going to do this, we should do it right. We will get shingles for the roof, timbers for the inside, and how many windows do we need?"

He spoke as if this was not up for debate. He was used to not being questioned in such matters, though usually when he got like this, it was over his own property or property that he was in charge of.

"Can you think of anything else that we might need?"
Old May 6, 2013, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Famous

The sheer intensity of Gloan's voice was enough to make Tani relent just a little. So he knew what he was doing and he was good at it. Likely better than he seemed at it and Tani was thankful for it. See? Dwarves really were great and helpful, no matter what anyone else said. Problem was, she had little to say on the matter until she was actually asked a question because the elf simply did not know how to respond.

"Um..." she replied, pausing. Tani had to think about that one. What would she need? Light, for one, to replace the windows' light. "Candles, but other than that there's little else that needs fixing."

CIR