Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Demios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Former Staff

Perpetrator is an upstanding Citizen
[The Paedia] Build Me Something That Looks Like A Mountain Shooting Fire (Klue)

.:Late Junctior, Autumn, XIX:.

Early one morning, in the late days of Junctior, a letter arrived on the desk of Klue Malinconico, the head gadgeteer at the Paedia. It was written on bland but fashionable stationary, sealed with a small bit of red wax. It read, simply:

Interested in making commission for gadgeteering piece
Will contact soon
Details to follow

Signed,
Daniel Corrigan
Entreprenuer

The note was extremely vague, and Klue might expect that more information would be given in a future letter.

This was not so, for it was not more than a candlemark later that the man himself appeared at Klue's door.

"I'm sure you must have gotten my letter by now?" A blonde man, dressed in a manner expressing money while not extravagance, entered Klue's office seemingly without the permission of anyone. He looked for a chair and moved towards it. "May I sit?"

Assuming he was permitted, the man eased himself into a chair, sighing lightly. "Now, to business."

"I already know who you are, and I'm sure you do too, so why don't I just introduce myself? The name is Daniel, Daniel Corrigan." He produced a small printed card from a breast pocket inside his jacket and handed it to Klue. It contained the man's name, and two sublines, stating his position was owner of Volcano Restaurant and Bar and Ashland Souvenirs, neither of which Klue had heard of.

"I'm an entrepreneur, a businessman if you will. I'm opening up two locations in central Demios. One of these locations is a restaurant and bar. It's this location, specifically, for which I will need your work. I need a centerpiece for the restaurant, not of a functional nature so much as gadgetry of... shall we say artistic value? That's a project specifically for you; I'd also like to work with your men on a lighting system for the restaurant. I'm willing to pay whatever the cost may be, though let's not go too overboard, shall we?"

The man leaned back in his chair. "Any questions, or shall I elaborate?"
Perpetrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2012, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Klue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

When mister Corrigan arrived, Klue had only just resolved himself to a candlemark or two behind his desk. He'd been brought the letter with the rising suns. And it was lost in a thick stack of documents bearing the Paedia's mark, all with some want for his attention. Paperwork. He'd begrudgingly shuffled through the mess, sorting each sheet into piles on his desk, or a bin aside of it. To address immediately, next cycle, when he could bother himself, or not at all. I'm an innovator, not a clerk, he'd muttered for the second or third time, when the letter caught his eye.

There wasn't much to it, not much to learn. But having captured his interest, it at least found a spot atop the organized chaos that was the surface of his desk.

The man would find the workshop empty. Or so it appeared. Most of Klue's crew hadn't wandered in just yet. But Digger the gnome was up in the rafters, meddling with this or that. And silently, dark eyes gleamed suspicious from a churlish expression, while watching the visitor find Klue's office at the back of the shop.

No matter, the door was open and Klue looked up when Daniel Corrigan strolled in. Surprised by an arrival so soon after receiving the letter, he smiled nonetheless and indicated the chair across from him. "Please. And a pleasure to meet you, sir."

The calling card was interesting. Or rather the two named locations he wasn't familiar with. But he left it to his visitor to explain, while settling into his chair. And wearing a more engaged expression than when he'd been faced with a long morning of unwanted paperwork. "Artistic?" he wondered out loud. It wasn't his usual, his work ordinarily leaned to function. But nonetheless he was intrigued. And lighting. Well as it happened, it was a request that was easily met.

"Well," he uttered with curious smile while shifting a little forward in his chair. "when you say, not of a functional nature, I'm guessing you want some sort of representation, rather than a clockwork dragon or volcano that belches honest t' goodness flames at your customers?" The smile quirked into a grin, though he opted not to mention that if the man wanted just that, Klue felt he could probably do it.

But then surely he wanted something functional but still artistic, something with moving parts. If he hadn't, he could as easily to to a sculptor, a metalworker or wood crafter. The question though invited a more detailed explanation, even while he added, "Do you have an idea of how large you'd like this centerpiece t' be? Atop a table? Occupying a larger space on th' floor or suspended?" he wondered.

They had no large projects going at the moment. And in all likelihood, could provide the man with what he wanted. But price was something he couldn't begin to address without knowing more. Design fees, materials, labor, there were simply too many unknowns as yet. "You've acquired these properties already?" he asked. "As for th' lighting. Unless you've got something else, something specific in mind, that's something I've done before. My crew is familiar with th' installation, large scale or small, I've got an example of it here at th' workshop," he added. Here, meaning below where they sat in reality, sight unseen at the moment.

"I'd be happy t' show it to you. It may be what you have in mind, or not at all. If it is, then it's only a matter of reworking th' aesthetics t' suit you. Something elegant, whimsical, something simple," he explained. So if mister Corrigan was interested in viewing an example of what he might have in mind for lighting, then Klue would be more than happy to show him.
I care that they don't have any of their own.
Nikola Tesla
Klue Malinconico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2012, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Former Staff

Perpetrator is an upstanding Citizen
Daniel tookt he liberty to finish his explanation, considering the Gadgeteer had guessed it spot on.

"When I say artistic, not functional, I mean functional for the eyes and ears. I wouldn't have come to a gadgeteer if I had wanted a painting." Corrigan leaned foward towards Klue. "As a matter of fact, a volcano is exactly what I'd intended, though I've decided fire would be too dangerous. Perhaps a colored smoke would work, assuming it would fade and wouldn't fill the place with toxic air. What I'd prefer is if it spouted lava." He smirked.

"Obviously real lava is also far too dangerous for the customer, so what I really would prefer is something that looks like lava, in most respects. Same color, same general consistancy, and hopefully glows."

"I've done some measurements, and it looks like the piece should probably be no more than nine or ten feet across at the base, and ten feet high, but since this is going to be an installation piece, you should probably have a look at the property yourself. I can take you there a bit later." Daniel got to his feet as slowly wandered, now examining the workshop.

"As for lighting," he continued, "I'd be happy to see an example. I think I have a good idea of what sort it should be, and I can again address that once we arrive at the location, but perhaps I should find out what you have to offer first."

He looked back at the gadgeteer, and pointed slightly in the direaction of the workshop. "Shall we?"

Last edited by Perpetrator; November 25, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Perpetrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2012, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Klue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

"And if it was the case," Klue said of paintings, and smiled. "I'd send you to speak with my wife. She's a way with brush and canvas that I couldn't hope to match."

"So a volcano then, and a large one at that." The gadgeteer didn't seemed surprised. But then it ought to be expected, considering the named locale the piece was intended for. Scale was no matter, large or small, design and mechanics differed very little. Only the strain on the eyes, was it to be a small thing. From out of the chaos of his desk, he plucked a clean sheet of parchment and located a stub of grease pencil, tucked behind his ear.

"Smoke is a possibility," he began while jotting down a few notes. "But as you say, it's a matter of stopping it fogging the room." Pausing a moment, he considered it, then shrugged a little. "A vent could always be placed into the ceiling, but another option...I might be able to do something with steam instead. The illusion of color might be achieved with colored glass over lamplight. Something similar might work for th' appearance of running lava." He didn't go on to explain just how he might achieve any of it. These were newly conceived ideas, only just taking shape in his imagination. "Billowing steam wouldn't require extra ventilation, it would simply dissipate into the air. But aye, I'll need to see the location before I know any of it for sure," he concluded.

"Let's show you the lighting I've got then." With that, he pulled out a set of keys from his desk drawer and joined Daniel in the workshop. But he passed him by, leading the way outside into a small courtyard with a high stone wall all around it. It was a medium sized space, containing a single, towering oak tree, a clear pool of water some four feet deep by ten feet wide, twelve feet long. Under the tree, a bench, and nearby, what looked like a storm cellar door.

It was where Klue was headed and dropping to his heels, he removed the padlock and opened up the door. There was a steep set of stairs and as he led the way, he offered up, "Watch your step." At the bottom was a nearly barren room painted white from bottom to top. The floor and three walls made of stone, the ceiling and one wall of wood. It was sparsely furnished, containing a threadbare rug and an old rustic table and seating for four, a couple of bawdy paintings ill suited to guests of a gentler persuasion. A wood burning stove in one corner with its chimney vented up through the ceiling and a chipped marble bust in yet another corner, a rendition of some unknown philosopher who someone had thoughtfully provided a flat crowned, beaver felt bowler that had seen better brightenings.

Making straight for that bust, Klue pushed the hat a little forward on the philosopher's head, and the room came to life. The wall to the right of the stairs came to life, sliding away completely to reveal another world entirely. Smiling a little, Klue invited Daniel to join him in stepping out onto a wooden platform built over solid stone. Even in partial darkness, what little light was provided through the storm cellar door, his visitor could see that what was beyond that platform, appeared to empty out into a series of underground tunnels and caverns so like the many others that littered the island of Demios.

Mister Corrigan would find himself standing next to a great deal of machinery. A large lever operated pulley system was built into the side of the platform, and next to it hung an apparatus capable of transporting two souls at a time. It was a wide metal bench of sorts, complete with harness to secure anyone who climbed aboard. It was suspended from its back by two pronged bars fitted with wheels, to a double pipe track set into the roof of the tunnel. With limited natural sight to see further, one might still imagined that where that track faded away, it instead continued off some ways into the darkness.

Klue however was more interested in a lever just beside him, on the opposing stone wall. A simple wooden box and an equally simple lever. He gave it a pull. And after just a few seconds with the faintest raspy snap, the spaces beyond the platform came to light. Golden lamplight filled the tunnel beyond them, only fading away down small crawl spaces aside, or ultimately around a sharp hairpin turn some ways down.

The lamps more closely resembled torches, rustic and suited to underground places, braced to stone walls each side of the tunnel. And if they didn't all flicker to life simultaneously, they might as well have. Fractions of seconds apart, revealing more of the tunnels as each corresponding pair came to life, the ceilings, floors and walls bathed in flickering lamplight. Klue smiled a little, letting the man take it all in. "Would you like a closer look?" he wondered.
I care that they don't have any of their own.
Nikola Tesla
Klue Malinconico is offline   Reply With Quote