Old November 15, 2012, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Jim Patel is unknown and forgotten
Nice day for a walk (OPEN)

Last month of Autumn

It was evident that the man known as Jim was new to Demios as he walked through the streets holding his belongings close to his chest. He clothing was relatively clean though they were nothing noteworthy. It was apparent that he came not from nobility but a peasant. He hadn’t been poor for he wasn’t frail and skinny but nor was he plump and fat, a young man that ate a meal every day but not always lavish as he or his parents might have wished. Now he was on his own and in an unfamiliar place, unsure what the next street might bring him.

The prospect of dragons being anywhere near here was both terrifying and thrilling to the want to be cook. He had never seen any extravagant beasts that he heard stories of growing up and have never really tried to. In the stories they were always frightening and if they were to be tamed it was always one special person, someone who had a specific set of skills or something alluring to them.

Jim was not special and he knew it.

Still, even though the guard had mentioned not seeing them for some time the idea they might still be around caused Jim to continually glance upward towards the sky. This caused him to bump gently into people around him for which he promptly apologized for.

Retired 15/01/2013
Jim Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Klue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

By now, Winter was well on its way. On the mainland, there was a distinct nip in the air and the leaves were turning to brown, red and vibrant gold. But it was rare that the island of Demios complied with the norm, even the seasonal ones experienced just a stone's throw away, across the water on the mainland. In the eras since Klue had first arrived, he'd experienced enough shifts in the weather to befuddle even the most dedicated predictors. It wasn't uncommon, a heat wave and a hard freeze all in the same brightening. And back again the next.

It was the reason why Demiosians tended to dress in layers, to be put on and peeled off at the whims and shifting moods of dragons and possibly the handful of elementals that called the Fire Isles home. And why many of them placed flower boxes outside the windows of their homes and shops, overflowing with bright red blossoms. It was probably an old wives' tale, Klue thought. But there'd long been talk that the dragons favored them and in return, might favor the island with fair weather.

It was the way that fellow moved along that made Klue suspect he wasn't a local, and hadn't been on the island very long. Mortals were creatures of habit. And altogether, something like cogs in a turning machine. At least to a gadgeteer's way of reckoning. Locals, those in their long time adopted element, tended to follow a particular pattern, a comfortable routine as they moved from place to place. From home to work and back again, to worship or to play. They wore the leather soles of their shoes down from too many right turns, left turns, turns on their heels. They subconsciously traveled the same paths, brightening after brightening, carving invisible trails on even the widest expanse of pavement. Stopping into the same shops or cafes at the same time each brightening and ordering up the same drinks or dishes from barmaid or waitress. Even bouts of spontaneity, given time, turned to predictability.

That man wandered in and out of the flow as he glanced at the sky, bumping shoulders with unseeing others whose worn paths he'd interrupted.

Klue too was a creature of habit. Halfway between home and his workshop at the Paedia he'd stopped at a local cafe and ordered his usual mug of tea and a roll. It was his own, to watch the same locals going about their brightening. The same faces, similar greetings and he'd be on his way again, off to his shop where he'd find his crew already tucked into their work. Except for Dunnie, who'd be predictably late.

It made new faces all the more interesting and leaving his coins on the table outside the cafe, Klue picked up his sack of tricks, slung it over his shoulder and in just a few paces, was striding nearly beside the young man. A smile on his own face as he adjusted his hat on his head. "If you're looking for a change in th' weather, blink a few times and it just might," he quipped, good natured and unaware that the man was looking for a glimpse of the island's beloved dragons.
I care that they don't have any of their own.
Nikola Tesla

Last edited by Klue Malinconico; November 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Klue Malinconico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Citizen

The sudden voice that wasn’t just a murmur in the crowd but clearly being spoken to him made Jim jump and nearly drop his belongs as he tried to clutch onto them harder. Then he seen the man that had spoken to him and a small smile crossed his face as well, he at least seemed friendly enough and it wasn’t as though he had said anything obtrusive. A local that had perhaps noticed a lost stranger on the streets and decided to lend a helping hand, or a friendly looking gentlemen that planned to lead him down a dark street and skewer him. Jim tended to have more faith in sentient beings.

The weather? Oh yes! I’ve heard the rumor of it changing swiftly and though I have just arrived here I’ve felt the temperature change change at least twice. I’ll have to look into investing into more suitable attire. I wasn’t looking for the weather to change from above though I was...” Jim paused for a moment looking slightly embarrassed as he pulled his shoulders up to get a better grip on his meager belonging “I was looking for a dragon. I heard they haven’t been around for a while but you never know right?

Jim was nervous and it had been evident by the way that he spoke and with the rushed tone.

Shifting his belonging so that they were being held up by one arm and hand he offered his free hand towards Klue to shake “forgive me, my manors. I am Jim Patel, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I hope my ramblings aren’t keeping you from something?

OOC Thanks for deciding to post with me

Retired 15/01/2013
Old November 18, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mythic

Klue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

Klue hadn't meant to cause the man a fright, small as it was. But clearly he had. He was quick to reach out a hand to catch whatever of his belongings might drop in the process, and smiled apologetically when he straightened again. "I'm awful sorry sir," he said. "I didn't mean t' startle you."

Then the smile quirked a little, into a friendly grin, as passersby simply adjusted their travels around the pair. "Spend much time on th' island, you'll grown accustomed to it." The weather, he meant. "And then it'll seem th' norm and that on th' mainland, out of sorts instead." And then his eyes widened with realization. "Th' dragons, aye."

It should have occurred to him, maybe. The elusive creatures were as much a draw for visitors afar, as were the volcano, the verdant landscape, even the island's giant spiders. He could sense the man's nerves, but couldn't place just why it should be. Unless, like so many refugees of late, he'd come from Lauryl or Arakmat? But then he didn't have that haggard, haunted look about him, that so many others did when they first arrived. Still, it was possible, and possible then that the belongings clutched against his chest, were all in the world he had left.

"True, you never know," he agreed. "Although they've been around twice, at least two of them, in the past era or so. They're a sight, that's for sure. Magical creatures beyond imagining. There's several temples devoted to them, up in th' hills. It might do t' go with someone familiar with th' terrain if you plan a visit." The young gadgeteer spoke as if he might have some personal experience with the creatures. But if he had, he didn't elaborate.

"Well met, Jim," he said then and offered his own hand with a firm grip. "I'm Klue Malinconico. Local gadgeteer. And no, you're not keeping me from a thing." With Waldo looking over the crew, his workshop would hum along just fine, no matter the time he arrived. Or didn't. "I've not seen you around here b'fore. Are you visiting, or planning on making a home on th' island?" he wondered. He wasn't about to ask if the man was a refugee from the east. None of his business and if it was so, it would seem the height of insensitive considering that so many had lost their lives or families, their livelihoods and homes in the process.

oocalways excited to meet new pcs. Welcome to Demios! :)
Nikola Tesla
Old November 18, 2012, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Adventurer

Lafear Ko is an upstanding Citizen
oocbest attempt at just jumping in here. glad to finally join in!

Lafear Ko had also just arrived to the island-city Demios. And he had not dressed in the appropriately removable layers. His fashions did not allow him such conveniences often. Rather, the half-human was wearing a black doublet and matching hose. His shoes were of leather--albeit of a cheap variation--and turned up at the toe in a sharp point; ribbons laced from the shoe up his calf to just below his knee. His also black shirt puffed slightly at the sleeve and was purposefully slashed so the white of his chemise poked through artfully. He lacked a cravat--crowns were tight in his income bracket--but he had tied his chemise close to his neck, in a mock-ruff, unstarched. Over it all, he donned a black hemp cloak that clasped at his throat with a wooden pin. Spectacular? Far from it! But it was at least to his personal tastes.

The half-human was busy taking in the sights Demios had to offer to the point that he nearly walked head-on into Klue and Jim. He stopped just in time, sending a loosened curl of silvery-blond into his face, which he swept aside quickly. More distracting than a lock of misplaced hair, though, was this repeated mention of dragons. Dragons! He had heard the same thing at the docks and it was no less shocking now. With all this non-sense of worshipping them and talking about them was beginning to make his poor head spin.

It was only after overhearing their conversation and nearly toppling over them that Lafear took stock of the two gents standing in the middle of the street. The one, Jim, was rather sad looking, out of place even. The other, he had not quite caught his name, was all together different. Perhaps it was just his not-looking-so-forlorn-holding-all-his-things look that Jim was rocking at the moment. Either case, both were standing in a very odd position in relation to the rest of the avenue. And it was just then that Lafear realzied he had stopped just inches from Jim, all together too close, and stepped back in a hurry, tripping as he did so.

Stumbling backwards, looking like he might fall to the ground and tear his well-kept clothes, Lafear still managed to introduce himself, "Apologies, I am Lafear and I beg your pardon!" The ground loomed closer as his ankles tangled.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Citizen

It’s okay, really” Jim responded feeling a bit sheepish over actually being startled by someone simply talking to him. He supposed it was because he was lost in his own little world in his mind. It was kind of foolish really, even if he had seen a dragon it wasn’t as though it would have changed his life by any means. He was here to master his craft and nothing more.

Still it would be something he could write home about.

Jim laughed shrugged slightly as the man joked about the weather, at least he assumed that it had been a joke. Jim felt a little less foolish as Klue spoke about the dragons and he assumed that he had seen them when they had been around. It also sounded like he was offering his services to show Jim these temples devoted to the dragons. “That is something I’d like to see once I get settled in. Perhaps, I mean if you are interested that is, we could go to them is a few brightening’s time? If you want that is” he repeated the last part not wanting to be an inconvenience.

I’m hoping to start my career and life of my own here. I’m looking to become a chief, eventually… I need more experience though since I’ve mostly only cooked for a dozen people at a time and nothing too fancy. I’m sorry I’m prob-“ Jim stopped as he noticed there was another ventured their way, and then started to fall. Jim shifted his things quickly to one side the pans that he had tied together fell but he reached out to grab the strangely dressed (at least in Jim’s opinion) man’s hand before he could fall to straighten him.

No need to apologize, are you okay? My name is Jim” he responded trying to keep the man vertical. He wasn’t sure if he had gotten his name, even if he had a proper introduction of sorts was necessary.

ooc sorry for the wait, I had the week off

Retired 15/01/2013
Old November 30, 2012, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mythic

"An aspiring chef then?" Klue responded with a wide smile when Jim told him what he was about on the island. He sounded genuinely interested, even though cooking was a skill well beyond him. A knack he'd never managed remotely well in spite of spending several eras as a single father. Solely responsible for getting a young daughter fed. "If you've cooked well for a dozen, then I'd say you're well on your way. I can hardly boil an egg for one," he admitted.

He'd only just begun to mull over the rest when another figure came out from the crowd and nearly collided with them. Or more in particular, Jim. There was plenty to distinguish this newcomer from his fellow islanders. He took it in at a glance, even as Jim reached out to stop him from falling over. He was a skinny thing. Klue's plump housekeeper Lily, was she here, would would have nothing but to sit him down to a healthy meal.

His sense of style was, well, clearly the man marched boldly to the tune of his own...tailor. Pale as pale could be, as if he'd burn to a crisp in a half candlemark exposed to island suns. A half elf, Klue was more than familiar. He'd one on his own crew. But this one with his silvery hair brought to mind a particular type of elf he'd met very few of over the eras. Most notably the lady Governor of Centripax.

No. Definitely not a native. He waited till the man was upright again and said, "Pleasure to meet you Lafear. My name is Klue Malinconico." And he extended his hand in a firm grip. "Jim's right, no need for apologies. We're sort of loitering along th' way here. I was just about to tell Jim here," he added to the other man, "that I'd be happy to accompany him on a hike to visit one of th' shrines. Are you just visiting?" he wondered. "I'm sure they've already asked you, if you came on th' ferry, if you've come to see the dragons," he added with a chuckle.

Unlike many of his fellow islanders, Klue didn't worship the dragons. In fact he'd interacted with several of them on a number of occasions. And it struck him that the idea of their worship might just leave them quietly bemused. Nonetheless, while he wore round his neck, concealed beneath the cloth of his shirt a solid connection to the dragons, his devotion was firmly committed elsewhere.
Nikola Tesla
Old December 7, 2012, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Famous

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Tyana is a glorious SuperheroTyana is a glorious SuperheroTyana is a glorious SuperheroTyana is a glorious SuperheroTyana is a glorious SuperheroTyana is a glorious Superhero
Tyana felt a nip in the air as she wandered aimlessly along the familiar streets, no particular goal in mind. She thought she might get a bite to eat, but wasn’t really hungry. It was more for something to do. She was putting off the inevitable, of course. What she really wanted to do was go to the Weaver’s Woods and spend a few cycles testing her winter survival skills. What she really needed to do was go see her father. She really didn’t want to do the latter, but knew if she gave into her desires for recreation, she’d never follow through with her important but none the less unpleasant task of a family visit.

So when she passed a funny looking group and heard the word “dragons” it gave her pause. One of the men was...not from around here. His clothes were not suited to Demios, his nearly translucent skin hadn’t seen much of the suns rays. Pretty, but eccentric. The other man had a wide eyed look that Ty had worn when she’d first ventured out into the wider world and she smiled at it, as if she was oh-so-much the wiser, though in truth she was no more than a hay-seed returned home for a brief and uncomfortable visit. She shook her head. Not with disdain, of course, but with amusement. Tourists. The other, though, was passably from Demios, with his earthy look. He was at least typically and appropriately layered for the island weather. They were all chatting amiably, and she assumed that dragons were the order of the day. She’d never seen one herself, though she used to play at being a dragon hunter when she was a child.

She stopped and propped herself against a wall near the little group. She was normally shy around strangers, but she thought that these folk looked friendly enough, and they did seem rather interested in dragons.

“You going to a shrine?” she asked. “Which one d'you think you’ll take 'em to?” If they were heading into the Weaver’s Woods, perhaps she had found herself a distraction. She might be putting off a visit to her father’s, but if she went with a group, she was bound to want to escape the group eventually, and what better excuse than a family visit?

Tyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2012, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Adventurer

Lafear, rather regretfully, latched on to Jim's outstretched hand and righted himself up. Take that, gravity! Having risen and planted his feet one again firmly upon Telath, he released Jim with a silver of a smile and the mere lipping of a thank you. His pale cheeks were flushed with rose and it had naught to do with the weather. His eyes made a somewhat distrusting dance across Klue's face as he inquired about the nature of his visit to Demios, looking for even the slightest etching of mockery or malignancy in the arrangement of his visage. Alas, the moment passed and he painted a smile on his face realizing that the man was being merely provincial in his mannerisms and that sometimes people were genuinely kind. How novel!

Mint-colored eyes dropped to the pans Jim was holding but his lips squeezed together without a comment but his attention shot back up at the mention of dragons. Dragons, dragons, dragons! Surely everyone in Demios had an unnatural obsession with that word. "I am just visiting, interested in finding a few books on some rather elusive topics but I did hear about these dragons at the docks. Do people really, truly worship them?" Lafear plucked at his drawn up collar, right at the hollow of his neck, "And what is up with the weather, here?"

He did not have much time to fret about the weather before the topic shifted back to, you guessed it, dragons. Rather dramatically and with not a little bit of showmanship, Lafear whirled his shoulders around to face Tyana, attempting to move with as much grace as his dance instructor back at the Mandraevan Dance Theater would expect of him. He studied her intently but soon found himself quickly not interested in what he had seen. Women rarely caught his attention. "I beg your pardon, we are going to a shrine? You mean the people here have erected shrines to... dragons?" It seemed barbaric, simpleton, and uneducated to him. Dragons might be powerful things, but they would fall before a god.

"And what might your name be?" Lafear stepped his legs closer together, folding one arm over the other in a languid fashion, still looking at Tyana.
Old December 14, 2012, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Citizen

Yes” Jim said a sheepish grin crossing his face as he rolled one shoulder slightly. He laughed at what he assumed was a joke from Klue and responded with “it just takes practice, and having a grandmother that can cook is also a benefit.” That’s how he had learned at any rate.

Jim hadn’t heard the words being muttered but he assumed that Lafear was saying thank you through thinking lips. He nodded a your welcome unsure if he’d just imagined it or not before picking up the items he had dropped. The items he had brought proved to be a bit of an arm full, had he thought he could have brought rope or a large sack to put them in instead of carrying them out on the open in the street advertising he at least liked to cook if not wanting to learn. Oh well, he wasn’t about to just leave his belonging in the middle of the streets.

The aspiring cook looked at Klue for for an answer as well. They were certainly something to be admired but he wouldn’t go about worshipping them. He wasn’t about to make judgement or voice his thoughts on that though, people could be rather fanatic about what they believed in. He had suspected that they may be just animals with a magical background but truth be told he had only ever heard bedtime stories of them. Usually ending in a brave soul getting back what a dragon had stolen.

These were just stories though, were real dragons much different?

Serale” he said when he noticed that another had joined the slowly building group. Stopping in the middle of the streets seemed to invite all types of strangers to join you. Jim wasn’t complaining though, he was glad that he was able to meet people so freely. He was new here and to that it meant he had no friends. Perhaps he would make them out of these people, even acquaintances to visit would have been great for being new here.

OOC sorry for the delay!

Retired 15/01/2013
Old December 16, 2012, 04:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mythic

A young woman spoke up from the side, and it didn't take long for Klue to surmise that she was much more familiar with her surroundings than the pair of men he was conversing with. Only a glance, really. First there was her choice of clothing and the comfortable way she leaned against that nearby wall. Secondly, and probably more telling was that she lacked that wide eyed look of many a new arrival to the island.

He couldn't say he knew her or could recall seeing her before. But there were many islanders outside the city proper that he'd never met or seen. Off in Weavers' Woods, or even residing on the far edge of the island beyond the range. He smiled at her and nodded. "We just might," he said. He hadn't woken up that morning, planning to lead a party to the shrines. But many of his brightenings evolved in such a way, and were hardly ever rigidly scheduled. He'd enjoy it most likely, having never visited the shrines himself.

"Take your pick, I s'pose," he added to Tyana, Jim and Lafear all three. "They're scattered throughout the island. In th' woods, up nearer th' volcano, near th' mines. Even one on th' water. Th' locals refer to th' shrines, as well as th' dragons, as like to precious gems. Sapphire, Topaz, Emerald, Ruby and so on."

"Elusive topics, you say?" he added with Lafear revealed the reason for his visit. He could only wonder about those subjects and their nature, but nonetheless..."If you're only looking to borrow, you can try the university, or the Paedia's library. Both are vast ones, as good as any in the Empire." Or kingdom, he guessed, depending on who was asked these brightenings.

A grin tugged at his mouth in response to the elf's incredulity. He meant no offense by the gesture, nor meant any in his reply. It wasn't an uncommon question come from a mainlander. "Many worship them, aye," he said. He didn't, but then Klue's devotions were elsewhere as a Dream Walker, one of Kaimelea's children. But he'd defend to his last breath, his fellow islander's right to worship as they chose.

He didn't necessarily view them as gods either, save for similarities that were impossible to ignore. "Many believe it's their whims and moods, that are the reasons behind our ever shifting weather." To hear the dragons tell it, they'd been in the realm longer than the Aetherians themselves and had a hand in the creation of world and man. And what were the gods, ultimately, but mysterious others with powers untold? "The only thing I can tell you for sure Lafear, from personal experience, is that they are as ancient as the world itself and are powerful beyond the telling. And this island is as much theirs as ours."

"If we're to pay any of the shrines a visit," he added for the benefit of all three, but mostly for Jim and Lafear, well especially Lafear, "You ought to be dressed for a hike." He didn't say it aloud, but the elf might want to opt for more sensible shoes.

"You know, there's a few taverns and restaurants on the island. You might look into them if you're seeking employment. I'm sure any of them would be happy to add a cook with some talent and a fresh perspective on local fare," he added to Jim and his choice of craft. No different, no more and no less respected a skill than any chosen trade, his own included.
Nikola Tesla
Old December 18, 2012, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Famous

Wealth Tier: Bronze
Tyana is a glorious SuperheroTyana is a glorious SuperheroTyana is a glorious SuperheroTyana is a glorious SuperheroTyana is a glorious SuperheroTyana is a glorious Superhero
“I’m Tyana,” she said with a shrug, waving away the fancy elf's interrogation as if who she was was irrelevant. If any of the men had an observant eye, they might notice a religious symbol on a thong around her neck, marking her as a servant of Carmelya. She raised an eyebrow at him, unimpressed with his arrogance regarding the dragons. She did not worship them as others did, being a follower of Carmelya, but they were powerful beings who deserved the utmost respect. If this city-boy thought that worshiping dragons was an activity for dim witted yokes, he had another thing coming. Now her intended distraction had turned into a stubborn pride in her home island. She’d like to see him climb the volcano, or navigate around spider webs in the Weaver’s Woods. He wouldn’t even be fit for a dragon’s snack! She glanced down at his outfit with an impassive face. If the Demios man wasn’t going to say it, Tyana would. “He’s right. If you go walking you're gonna ruin your shoes. Don’t you have boots or somethin’?”

She turned to the other two and smiled, nodding at Klue’s explanations. The other man who seemed new to Demios had greeted her kindly, and the other seemed to know quite a bit, and was quite pleasant besides. “Weather’s good....for now. There’s four shrines fairly close.” Of course, “fairly close” was a matter of perspective. Tyana walked everywhere, sometimes for days on end, so a little jaunt up a mountain would be nothing to her. “The Topaz shrine is probably farthest away, bit more of a walk than what's left of the brightening, and it’s sort of dangerous what with the drakes nesting nearby. The Ruby shrine’s on a volcano, not so far, nor’s the Emerald shrine in the woods. Unless any of you fancy a boat ride t'the one on the water? We’d still have to walk there, but you might not ruin your shoes as much.” Tyana struggled to keep a smirk from her face.

She smiled at Klue. "If you'd like an extra guide along, I'd be happy to join in the walk."

Tyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2012, 11:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Adventurer

Not privy to private thought and pragmatic when it came down to it, Lafear studied thoughtfully at his pointed shoes. Really, truly, they were nothing fancy and worth next to nothing, perhaps less; the half-human was a man of very modest means and his clothes reflected that, merely mirroring what many men of his financial countenance in urban climes wore. They were rather worn from countless steps metered out in steady pounds onto the cobbled streets of the capital city. They were sensible, more sensible than boots there, because they were light weight. "Perhaps, these are not the most sensible but I do not have boots." He fixed Tyana with a mint-hued gaze, "but I fear not for ruining them, look at the leather. Nothing fancy about these, just common footwear in Prime Province." He lifted a foot slightly, showing exactly how worn and used the leather had become over time and chuckled.

The pale half-human looked among the others gathered there and thought, what the aethernian demon, he had nothing better to do this brightening. And he would very much like to see these shrines. Religion was a mater that intrigued Lafear very much. Just a curious thing and such a difference from the spirituality that he was used to, though his idea of a spiritual connection was a bit different than most. "I suppose I am up for a jaunt to one of the shrines. I will have to risk ruining these, alas, but I suppose it would just be an excuse to by a new pair."

Lafear studied Jim and all of his cookware with a slow, cool top-to-bottom then bottom-to-top glance, "Jim, though, you might want to drop off a few pots somewhere! No matter how ambitious you are, I do not think that carrying them all all the way to the shrines will help you start your career!" The half-human smiled and wrapped his thin arms around his chest; he was not the only one ill-dressed for impromptu hikes through the wilderness, it seemed. "As for the shrine," Lafear looked back to Klue and Tyana, "I have no preference. Is one prettier than another, perhaps? I suppose I would enjoy seeing that one." Lafear shook a loose lock of icy-blonde curl from his eye; if there was one thing Lafear truly loved, it was beauty be it nature or artifice.

In fact, he found one offset the other. A shrine might be exactly what he wanted to see after all.
Old December 28, 2012, 06:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Citizen

Jim for a few moments just looked from one person to the other as they spoke and listened. He too was curious as to what knowledge Lafear might have been looking for in books that were elusive but hadn’t asked. If the man had wanted them to know he wold have advertised what he was looking for. Besides it wasn’t as though Jim would have been able to point him into any sort of direction. He was new to the island as well.

So Klue did have experience with dragons. It was interesting and he’d like to ask him more about it but thought there might have been a better time than now with the others around.

Yeah” Jim looked down at his pots and pans with a low laugh “it wouldn’t make much sense to bring them along with me but I don’t have a place here yet to leave them.” Perhaps someone would offer a place where he could leave them. It would have been rude to simply ask if he could leave them at some ones place when he had just met them.

I have no preference either” Jim added shrugging his shoulders. Seeing a shrine would be well enough and he was willing to go on a long trek to get there. It would at least keep him warm.

Retired 15/01/2013
Old December 31, 2012, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mythic

"A pleasure to meet you, Tyana," the young gadgeteer said with a smile, when the young woman introduced herself. "I'm Klue Malinconico." He wore sveral hats at present, figuratively speaking at least, but none of them seemed relevant at the moment. And neither of two of them, so pressing as to prevent a visit to one of the shrines.

He suppressed an amused snort, when she commented on the elf's shoes, and only nodded in agreement. A natural born diplomat, he thought, and she'd managed it better than he might. Still, Lafear seemed undeterred, and determined to wear the things if he had any others. Fair enough. But ruin wasn't so much of a concern, nor befuddling Prime fashions as opposed to Demiosian ones. But function instead in terrain much more challenging than the streets of the First City. "If it's what you've got," he chimed in, "then I'm sure it'll do." Sometimes the only way to learn, was by hard experience.

Jim had a different predicament, though Klue could easily offer a solution. They weren't so far away from either of his workplaces. And would need pass by one or the other on their way to visit any number of the shrines. "I've a place you can leave your things, Jim. They'll be safe there, and you can pick them up again when we return. It's nearby here," he suggested, and since they all appeared to agree to an outing, he took the initiative and led the way, away from the marketplace and towards the edge of the government district.

"I'd be more than happy for an extra guide, and the company," Klue said to Tyana as he showed them the way. "I guess you're right, it's too late in the brightening to visit the Topaz shrine. Why don't you choose from the others?" he suggested, and then glanced aside at Lafear and Jim. "They're similar, one to the other and fairly ornate. Bejeweled."

It only took a few moments to reach the gates leading into his offices. At least those here, as opposed to the Paedia.

Secrets :
 It wasn’t the largest building in the Government District. But it was one of the more prominent ones by virtue of its location and design. The building that housed the offices of Demios’ young Senator sat atop a gentle rise, surrounded by stone and wrought iron, native grass and rustic foot trails that looped through groupings of fragrant island flora. The landscape managed at once to seem civilized, and as wild as the island itself.

A narrow cobbled path led from the street, up to gates manned by a trio of colorfully uniformed guards. Local men who’d require visitors to present their documents and leave their weapons before being allowed any further.
At the end of the path, three wide steps up to a cool open gallery that spanned the front and one side of the building. There was a pair of doors, painted crimson for sharp contrast against the remaining, white exterior of the building. All but for two more notable exceptions.

To enter, visitors must pass between two thick columns of native wood transformed by one of Demios’ local artisans. They were a bold riot of color, and gilded, stylized dragons in mix and match shades cavorted round and round from bottom to top and down again. The creatures were so loved by the citizens of Demios, that it was expected to find them prominent at the doors of this particular building.

The whitewashed planks of the exterior gallery transitioned into a grid of narrow runners, that framed large native stone tiles. Vibrant reds, greens, blues, gold. The effect was a large, checkerboard pattern that filled the wide open interior. It was a dramatic effect against white walls. Demosians loved their drama and surprising color combinations. Their Senator was no different.

There were plenty of windows, floor to ceiling. Two more guards in colorful uniform. And a pair of glass doors that led back to the side exterior gallery. Even from the indoors, there were breathtaking views of Demio’s largest active volcano in distance, the mountainous wilds in verdant green. And from another vantage, the aquamarine sea. Much of the outdoors had been brought in. A small trickling fountain beneath a vaulted ceiling with its stained glass dome. Tropical, flowering plants in colorful pots. The paintings on the walls, the art and carvings on the tables and seating represented the peoples of the Fire Isles and their neighbors and friends, the Incarri.

There were three closed doors. And between two of them, a half elven beauty sat behind her desk. Somewhere in her early twenties, her hair was auburn, her dark green eyes had an exotic shape and her complexion was fair and freckled. Known to most of the locals, Cora Greene smiled openly when visitors wandered in. ”Serale and welcome. Do you have an appointment with the Senator?”

It was no trouble passing through the gates. The guards, having caught sight of him coming, opened them wide to allow all four to pass through with a nod of greeting. After all, it didn't appear the young Senator had been taken hostage by a motley crew and was being brought along by swords' point.

Along winding pathways and up wide stairs they went, through doors passing through two ornate columns into a bright and airy interior.The pretty girl behind her desk smiled and offered up her greeting, "Serale and welcome. Do you have an appointment with the Senator?" But apparently didn't look up from her task before doing so.

Klue only chucked and smiled wide, when once Cora glanced up with cheeks burning from embarrassment. "Oh, Chief! I'm awful sorry!" She stammered, hopeful these weren't terribly important dignitaries come calling. "No worries, Cora. This is Tyana, Jim and Lafear. Cora Greene, my aide," he said to the others in introduction.

"We're heading off to one of the shrines, Cora, and I've told Jim he could store his pack here, in your safekeeping." The girl was quick then to rise and come round her desk, happy to accept Jim's pack so long as he'd relinquish it. "A pleasure to meet you all," she said, "and I can lock your things up in a back room till you return," she assured Jim. And then added to Klue, "I'll inform any visitors that you're out for the rest of the brightening."

"That's settled then, aye?" Klue said to the three as Cora scurried off with the pack. "Which shrine then, do you think?" he asked Tyana, happy to leave her the choice.
Nikola Tesla

Last edited by Klue Malinconico; January 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM.