Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Demios

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Klue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

[ Paedia - Gadgeteers' Workshop ] Carapace, Sword and Spell [ Private ]

The area reserved for the Paedia's gadgeteering workshop was somewhat removed from that assigned to other staff members employed by the Knowledge Seeker's Guild, considering that gadgeteers tended to be a noisy and daring lot given to impulsive and sometimes death defying experimentation on the fly. The occasional smoky haze drifting down the long and wide hallway, or the faint echoes of random calculations gone awry was simply the usual fare along with the more traditional hammering or sawing away at planks of wood or metal. Though it wasn’t unheard of for even the most intrepid of visitors to find him or herself the unwitting dance partner to a wild eyed gadgeteer hurtling down stone hallways with wheeled wooden forms strapped to the bottoms of his feet.

The workshop itself was at the end of the hall, accessed through a pair of heavy oak and iron doors. And it housed workstations for a number of innovators…as they generally preferred to be called. With gray stone floors and walls, and heavy oak beams spanning the interior, the workshop was a cavernous space that could be most aptly described as organized chaos. It remained as such, even after repairs were completed following a recent season of volcanic eruptions, cyclones and mayhem done by a servant of Ain'lar. There were a number of long and heavy worktables scattered throughout the room, their surfaces gouged, dented, chipped, stained and burned. A number of drafting tables as well, their surfaces littered with blueprints, jars of grease pencils, measuring implements of all kinds, half drunk cups of tea or coffee, and plates littered with stale pastry crumbs.

There was an enormous hearth along the wall to the right, which doubly served as part of the shop's metal works. There were tall cabinets, lockers and wheeled carts filled with every sort of tool imaginable, and almost as many sizes of those for wood or metal work. If it was a tool worth wanting, it could be found here. And if not, easily filched on the sly off the alchemists down the hall. A long cabinet on one wall supported a number of burners and there was littered a variety of beakers, flasks and pots. There was a portable hoist and pulley for lifting heavy burdens and another pulley added to a rope tether that stretched mysteriously from one end of the workshop to the other.

Gadgeteers were notorious junk collectors so not even beams and what wall space remained were left unaffected. Wheels, kites and other mysterious contraptions were hung from the beams, attainable by way of a long hooked pole wielded in the hands of any given gadgeteer. And corners were stacked high with bits of scrap metal large and small, or planks of wood of a variety that spanned balsa to mesquite, teak to mahogany. There was a row of windows up high on the back wall and there too was a door leading out into a small courtyard that was completely enclosed by a high stone wall. The courtyard was barren for the most part, save for a single bench positioned in the shade of a mature oak, and a small pool some four and a half feet deep and twenty by twenty foot square. There was what looked like the padlocked door to a storm shelter off to one side of the courtyard and though rumors and theories abounded throughout the halls of the Paedia about just what the resident gadgeteers got up to down there, what was lovingly dubbed the ’Bunker’ was a heavily guarded secret and strictly off limits to any lacking the say so of the Paedia’s Head Gadgeteer.

* The Bunker

What troublesome thoughts and deeds must converge, where Gadgeteers go and fail to emerge?

* The Fast Track

The Brotherhood of the Chair

Autumn of XIX

It was two seasons gone by now, since the island of Demios had played unwanting host to a marauding Xet, come from only the gods knew where exactly. Klue and one other had come away from the exchange with a few bumps, scratches and bruises. But nonetheless winningly. The young gadgeteer was admittedly proud of their victory, considering that in the process he'd thrown together a new, and very useful if deadly trinket, that had played a significant part in dispatching it.

That was then, and ultimately he'd come away with a section of the thing's blown apart shell. Unlike others though, his interest wasn't limited to studying its apparent ability to repel, scatter, absorb, or whatever it was that happened when shells collided with mage's work. He had something else in mind entirely for the section he'd brought home.

The things were nigh on indestructible, stronger than any metal he knew of, at least where blows to their smooth outer shells were concerned. Different story, their underbellies or more vulnerable seams where plates of carapace met. But he'd taken a large section, larger than he'd actually need to bring his idea to fruition. Something for his own use, admittedly, but in the process what he learned might aid others, should the future produce more invading Xet than had come already.

He was seated at the large worktable in the middle of the workshop, the broken carapace on the surface in front of him when a hulking shadow suddenly loomed over his shoulder. Gregor of Arakmatian descent, former legionnaire, master of the forge turned gadgeteers' crew mate.

Glancing round, Klue spied a crumpled sheet of parchment in Gregor's hand and quirked a curious brow. "What have you got there?" he asked, and the big man shrugged. "Copy of the Herald, Chief." The younger gadgeteer scowled. "Seems a waste of coin," he declared, and Gregor grinned a little. "Didn't cost a thing. Picked up a discarded one on my way through Orator's Square." Evidenced by the sad state of the sheet, decorated by a number of boot prints and a stain that looked like spat out tobacco.

The prints and stains seemed more appropriate. There seemed no reason to question the sympathies of the Maeves of Emamoria. Entitled, and whose hands and whims as owners and editors largely dictated the contents of the Herald. So far as he was concerned, in recent months the thing had become nothing but a source for propaganda skewed towards a charlatan and murderer in his bid for the throne. The Herald had become something of a shining example for the young gadgeteer, of what wouldn't be once his own press was up and running.

"What's so interesting then," he wondered, with barely a glance when Gregor handed the copy over. "An orc is Thane of Portshire?" he exclaimed with a wondering shake of his head. "It appears so," Gregor responded, agreeing with Klue's assessment before he spoke it out loud. "Well now, proof positive that th' realm's gone t' Aeternia in a handbasket."

Gods only knew how that had happened, or what had possessed whoever had appointed such a soulless beast to office. Any office, one that now appeared to be endorsing de Lylles. Klue wasn't ordinarily one to look poorly on other races, nor given to intolerance based on ages old, worn out expectations, perceptions or traditions. Thoughts like that ran contradictory to the very spirit of innovation. The trait however didn't apply to orcs. From all he'd learned and read, they were no better than mindless animals, driven by little else but impulse, conquest and bloodlust. There'd been numerous accounts of their rampages in Narim and in Paxia. The Black Wind of Sheria had been a blessing, but not blessing enough when a single one of them was spared.

And now this orc Thane promised the support of the same animals that had rampaged their bloody way through the innocents of Narim and Paxia, to de Lylles. It made perfect sense, Klue supposed, like souls, like methods no matter the scale, drawn collectively like moths to a flame. He snorted and handed the crumpled sheet back to Gregor, who crumpled it further and tossed it in his burning forge. Where it flared, only for a second before turning to ash. "Now there's a glowing endorsement, aye?" the chief gadgeteer scoffed.

"What are you doing with that thing?" Gregor wondered then. And Klue, more than eager to turn his attention to more worthy pursuits, grinned and tapped middle and forefinger on the surface of the Xet's broken shell. "I was thinking of a new project, something you in particular might like quite a lot. When's th' last time you were let loose t' craft weaponry as you pleased, Gregor?" The big man thought about it and shook his head. "I've been so busy crafting widgets of late, I can't quite remember," he quipped with a grin, and wondered. "But I'd like nothing better. What do you have in mind?"
I care that they don't have any of their own.
Nikola Tesla

Last edited by Klue Malinconico; October 30, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old October 30, 2012, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mythic

Klue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious SuperheroKlue Malinconico is a glorious Superhero

"You want me to make a sword of it?" Gregor wondered, before Klue had a chance to say more. "No, not a sword," he said, and shook his head emphatically. Whatever properties it has that make it impervious to spells or blows from ordinary weaponry, I don't want t' meddle with that by drenching it in flames and reshaping it. Conceivably, it might make it more potent by happenstance," he considered. "But I'd rather not risk it. Only, cut it t' size an' shape."

"What then?" Gregor asked, and Klue replied, "A shield. Can you make me a shield of th' thing? What sort of metal might you use with it in combination?" The other man didn't have to consider long. "I can make you a shield, certainly. But I wouldn't combine it with metal. I'd keep that to a minimum. After all, the strength is in the Xet's shell, isn't it?"

Klue nodded, though much of that was yet to be seen. "Aye, presumably," he agreed. Protection against blows from man made weapons and if it proved some odd defense against offensive spells, all the better. "Then I'd brace it into a wooden sleeve, molded to shape, leaving the black shell exposed at the front. If you want something ornamental," he suggested, and Klue nodded, "I could lay your insignia onto the front, done in bronze, copper and silver. The boss on the front would be metal, along with the hand grip wrapped in leather." He went on to explain that wood, polished and preserved, was more durable than metal, less subject to rust and corrosion. And ultimately, lighter to carry.

"So," Klue remarked and turned his attention back to the large shell in front of him. "What shape and size then? I'd like to keep several size pieces to test with, rather than first on the shield itself. To see if it will perform as I hope it will." Gregor quirked a brow of his own and wondered, "If it doesn't?" To which Klue replied with a chuckle. "If it doesn't, then I'll have a very nice trophy t' hang on th' wall. I intend t' reimburse th' Paedia for whatever materials you use, and for th' extra labor, since it'll be for my personal use."

"I'd do it regardless," Gregor assured him. It was true that it had been some time since he'd gotten to forge weaponry, at least that which was more familiar to him. Though he'd admittedly enjoyed his work on the cannons for both Demios and Incarri, the spring loaded plugs and Klue's spring operated firearm. None of those however were his design. He could craft a shield with his eyes shut tight and one arm bound behind his back. But he'd thoroughly enjoy it nonetheless.

"As for shape, type, I think for you," the man considered, "how you'd most likely use it, a buckler might be best. Albeit a wooden one. It's small, round, light weight and suited for hand to hand combat. You haul around your sack of tricks already. The thing could be strapped to your belt for traveling." Klue nodded, deferring to Gregor's expertise on the matter.

"Th' shell is light a'ready," he considered, "and worked into a shield crafted with wood besides, it won't be a burden to carry with me when necessary." Gregor smiled. "Exactly. If you want to go ahead and sketch out the insignia to size, Dunnie can start on that while I get a section of that shell cut to size on the lathe. I suspect it will cut much like metal would. An ordinary handsaw wouldn't stand a chance."

"A'right then, it's all yours," he said, and Gregor was quick to grab the shell and begin work on his measurements. Meanwhile, Klue was left to consider the embellishments for the thing's front, and just how he intended to test the scraps left from Gregor's work.
Nikola Tesla

Last edited by Klue Malinconico; October 30, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old October 31, 2012, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mythic

The next brightening was a busy one, and the shield turned out to be a project for more hands than Klue had first intended. The functional design of the thing was all Gregor's. The Arakmatian after all, as a former Legionnaire and weapons smith, had a better understanding than all the rest of them combined. Weight, balance, curvature, everything just so, Klue wasn't about to meddle in any of it.

But there was the wooden sleeve to craft, and much of that expertise belonged to Dunnie, in consult with Gregor. From the choice of wood type to its shaping and polishing, the pair rarely worked so closely together. But did so admirably now that the particulars demanded it. The backing and fitted sleeve that would wrap round and hold tight the Xet's carapace might have been plain. Constructed in two parts then fused together, round the central shell and leaving that exposed at the front. But Dunnie had taken a greater interest than Klue had anticipated. And already he had Waldo sketching out some intriguing designs off at his own worktable while Gregor went out cutting the carapace to size.

As for Klue, Gregor had convinced him to take a turn at the forge, in order to produce the boss and insignia, and the hand grip which would be wrapped in leather. Gregor had gotten him started by melting the necessary metals, but the molds were Klue's to make. It was knowledge he had as part of his early training, if he was less experienced at it than Gregor. But a few eras ago, Viskyia Crow, friend and local jeweler, had tutored him further. It would take him longer than left to Gregor, to get things just so. But forms for the molds, they had already in store, including the insignia. He only had to choose what he wanted, build the molds and pour the metal to set.

He'd barely gotten started, setting out the wooden frames, when Dunnie called out. "Hey Chief, we can make this sleeve plain, but I'm wondering. Is it alright if I carve a design round the edges and front of the curl? Maybe gild it a little?" Late in asking, naturally, since the half elf had already put Waldo to task. "What sort of d'sign?" Klue wondered as he packed his prepared mixture of fine grain sand, clay and sand oil into one of several frames with a wooden mallet, each of them containing one of the half forms. Forms that would create the cavities for molten metal, once they were placed, set and removed again, then forms braced together with their channels properly aligned.

"Stylized dragons, maybe?" Dunnie suggested. "Curled round the edges of the shield. Something subtle, but to compliment the insignia. Gregor says it won't upset the balance any." Klue smiled and nodded. "I'd be pleased if you did, Dunnie. You're th' artist, I'll leave you to your whims," he agreed, while Gregor wandered over to check his work. "I see you've chosen a plain grip," he commented, and Klue nodded. "Aye, I chose it for comfort and sturdiness. And if its t' be wrapped in leather, it seemed wasteful to choose a more artful one." Gregor nodded, happy with reasoning before tending the coals nearby.
Nikola Tesla

Last edited by Klue Malinconico; October 31, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old November 2, 2012, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mythic

When it was finally finished, Klue had to admit that the shield was a thing of beauty; something he could hardly take credit for. At least not to any large degree. The idea from its infancy had been his. He'd known what he wanted, and had crafted the hand grip, the hob and insignia. But it was Gregor and Dunnie's expertise, their skilled, combined hands, that had produced quite possibly the finest shield Klue had ever seen.

But while it was something to look at, it remained to be seen just how well function would follow form. It was still a mystery, that giant insect's shell. And the remnants of it, the large pieces Gregor had cut away and saved, hadn't been tested yet.

But where wood curls met carapace, where the finished hob fused over and the insignia, fused over again in the shield's center; it was fluid, seamless and the shell itself gleamed like polished onyx decorated in bronze and copper. And as promised, carved and gilded, stylized dragons weaved and danced all round the edges.

"Pick it up, why don't you?" Gregor said from behind Klue. "Let's see how it suits you." The Chief Gadgeteer had been admiring the thing, there where it sat on the large table in the center of the workshop. "Perfectly balanced," he said with a wide smile after hefting it up in his hand, shifting this way and that, and the shield situated as should be. "It couldn't feel any more natural." Which said quite a lot, considering Klue was much more a tradesman than one accustomed to swords play.

Both Gregor and Dunnie beamed with pride, and then the latter suggested, "We should test the other pieces then, to make sure that its useful for something more than looking at, or hung over your mantle back home."

Klue agreed, and he grinned wide as he put the shield back down. "Aye, I guess Gregor, that you could put one of those scraps to th' test with your sword?" he asked the former Legionnaire, and the man readily agreed. "We can mount the pieces to th' bale outside in th' courtyard. But I'd like t' test it against a bow as well, and even mage's work."

In either case, they'd need another from outside the shop to do the honors. Not any of them a mage, nor a bowman either. But Blinky, who'd shadowed them all and chattered endlessly throughout the crafting of the shield, had been yearning to help. And so finally handed his chance, the chubby cether was sent off to find Flitz and ask if she could help them locate and secure the cooperation of a spell slinger and bowman. Who might, in turn, help them test the scraps of shell they'd saved from their labors.
Nikola Tesla

Last edited by Klue Malinconico; November 2, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old November 6, 2012, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mythic

While they waited for Blinky to find Flitz, and then a bowman and spellslinger, neither Klue or his crew remained idle. They'd gone down the hall and the three of them combined, conspired to convince the seamstresses to loan them one of their fitting forms. It was just a torso, sackcloth packed tight with straw, mounted on a metal pole. A lady's torso at that, curvaceous as they came.

They hauled it back to the workshop, out in the courtyard and lashed it securely to the enormous shade tree in the middle of the green. Then securely fixed one of the largest scraps of shell across its ample bosom.

Gregor had brought his long sword with him that morning, prepared to play the part of swordsman when the time come. So while Klue, Dunnie and Waldo stood back to watch, the former Legionnaire, fighter and weaponsmith turned gadgeteer and widget maker went at the form and shell with his blade. Hopefully the shell wouldn't yield, bend or break apart during the onslaught. But considering the near indestructible nature of the Xet, Klue hoped for more. Ideally, he'd like to see the thing hold up to Gregor's powerful assault without so much as a nick or a scratch.
Nikola Tesla
Old November 14, 2012, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dragon King of the Sands

Bahamut is a glorious SuperheroBahamut is a glorious SuperheroBahamut is a glorious SuperheroBahamut is a glorious Superhero

As Gregor swung his first strike towards the piece of carapace that Klue had managed to secure from his and Vanderlou's battle with the Xet, it slammed into it, knocking over the lady's torso, and not even making a single crack or knick into the Xetan carapace piece that they happened to be testing. It would hold up against steel it seemed, but how about harder metal swords, magic, or bows and arrows? Well, Klue was about to find out about the bows and arrows, as well as the magic, for just as they were all standing back while Gregor was preparing another hit, the area around them seemed to get a bit cold, and a cool wind blew through their hair.

Blinky ran back, with Flitz in tow, and another man, one that Klue would recognize from the Festival of the Dragons that prior spring, if he had gone to the opening Ceremony. It was Torrence, the master elementalist that had shown off his Elemental Lords during the ceremony. They were also with him, meandering behind him as he made his way forward to greet Klue. Outstretching a hand, towards him, Flitz introduced Torrence. "This is Master Torrence, whom now works at the Mind and Fire Academy as it's headmaster," she said a smile upon her face. Another man came up behind Jax and Nax, the Elemental Ice Lords, his brown hair evident and his green eyes looking towards Klue and the rest of his crew. "And this is archer Elor Jones, a local militia man," she said, introducing him as well. After Torrence shook Klue's hand and said, "Good to meet you!" He adjusted his glasses upon his face, and ruffled his jet black hair a bit whilst Elor nodded as well, shaking Klue's hand after Torrence, saying, "Nice to make your aquaintance Senator!"

Smiling, Flitz then asked, "Blinky was a bit vague on the details of the project other than stating it had something to do with a Xetan Carapace?" She looked down towards him, and grinned. "What exactly did you do with the Xetan parts you retrieved after the attack on Demios?" she then asked, Torrence took a step back towards Jax and Nax whom silently looked towards Klue and his crew, their scythe-like hands down by their sides, ever patiently awaiting word from Torrence as to what they needed to do for him...
Old November 14, 2012, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mythic

Gregor's efforts to undo the carapace were honest ones. And Klue grinned a little as the seamstress' form toppled over from the bladed assault. Glad it wasn't him shielding himself behind that scrap of shell, hit by all of the once Legionnaire's force. But then, it was rather the point, wasn't it? To discover, just how well it would hold up.

"Good t' see you didn't hold back any," he told Gregor while he and Waldo strapped the form back into place. Just as Blinky arrived with Flitz and company. "Serale Flitz," he said and dusted off his hands before offering one up. "Thank you for coming. I hope we didn't interrupt your brightening. But I thought you might like to see this too."

Master Torrence, he knew of and had seen him before, a handful of times, always with the strange two lords trailing after him. He'd only heard good things, as to reputation. But know the man personally, he didn't. "Master Torrence, it's a pleasure t' finally meet face t' face." A polite nod to the pair of elementals and he offered his hand again to mister Jones. "Well met sir. Thank you both for taking th' time from your brightening. We've been doing a few experiments here with these scraps of shell taken from our Xet visitor some months ago. But we've needed to subject them to elements neither I or my crew can manage on our own."

"Blinky," he added to his little cether apprentice, "bring th' shield, will you?" And Blinky was off, back into the workshop before he could say more. "Right Chief!"

He gestured towards the bale then, to which they'd strapped the form with its own carapace shield. "We've tested it against th' sword already, but I'd like t' see how it holds up against a bow, and a magical assault," he told them all. "From what little we know about th' Xet, they seem impervious t' assault by magical spells, and I've wondered if that ability extends to their outer shell. I've thought that surely it must. And if it does, does it absorb spells and render them useless? Or does it shrug them off completely, deflect them? Or is that ability lost completely, once th' shell b'comes separated from th' body?" he wondered.

"I know much too little of magic t' even guess," he told Master Torrence with a smile. "Which is why I'd be grateful for your expertise on the matter. I was hoping it could be tested here, with some sort of assault on this scrap?"

Meanwhile, Blinky had returned with the finished shield. It was an awkward return, the thing was as big as the little cether was, but made of carapace and wood for the most part, it was surprisingly light. And due to a concerted effort, a work of art besides. Klue thanked his next to smallest crew member, took the shield and presented it for the others to inspect. "We thought t' do th' testing on th' scraps first, t' see if this will be as useful as hoped."

Then turning to mister Jones, he added, "We've tested against an assault by sword already, and it's held up without a scratch. I'd expected as much since th' carapace might be considered th' Xet's own armor. But not against a bow, and I'm hoping you could give it a good test for us. I've got more of these large pieces," he said at the last. "We only need a section large enough for the shield and have several more sections. Master Torrence, I'd be happy for you to take away the excess, if you'd care t' test it further at th' Academy. And yourself as well, mister Jones," he said, "with my thanks for your willingness t' aid our experiment."
Nikola Tesla
Old November 18, 2012, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dragon King of the Sands

Bahamut is a glorious SuperheroBahamut is a glorious SuperheroBahamut is a glorious SuperheroBahamut is a glorious Superhero

"Well, I think we can test it right here, right now," said Flitz looking up towards Torrence, whom pushed his glasses up on the brim of his nose whilst brushing a hand through his thick jet black hair. Torrence nodded, and then looked towards the scrap that happened to be upon the training dummy, and then said, "I don't mind testing it out here, as well..." A smile broadened upon his face. "Jax and Nax could certainly use the target practice as they don't get to utilizing their skills very much... not much to do when protecting a headmaster of a school anymore... back when I used to teach and do more adventurous things, before they became my guardians, they'd have felt a lot more useful."

The ice elemental lords nodded both of their preying mantis-like heads. "We would be happy to tessssssst our abilitiesssss out upon thissssss Xsssssetan carapacsssssse..." they said in unison, both agreeing to do it. Flitz smiled, and turned her head towards Elor. "I wasn't aware i'd be testing my archery skills on it, but allow Torrence to test his skills on it first whilst I run back and grab my gear," he stated, smiling, then turning around, and making his way away from the area to go grab his bow and arrows.

"Whenever you are ready your Imperial Excellency," said Torrence, referring to Klue by the way one might refer to a senator as, and then awaiting his response. Jax and Nax began to move into position around the piece of carapace attached to the training dummy, and awaited Torrence's signal. "They utilize arcana in all of their attacks, so don't worry... we shall see the Xet's shell's power against Arcana so long as they are attacking it," said Torrence, looking towards Klue in anticipation of his affirmation for them to begin...
Old November 19, 2012, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mythic

"I'd hoped as much," Klue admitted with a smile when both Flitz and Master Torrence agreed to giving the scrap an immediate test. Jax and Nax, he gathered, were largely the silent types. But no matter, they seemed eager enough to participate in this little experiment. And better to test on an unused remnant of the carapace, then himself braced behind the finished shield. Klue might have an adventurous streak, he'd be no innovator at all without one. But he didn't have a death wish by any means, should something go awry in the trying.

Still, they might not talk much. But when they agreed he'd recall his manners. "Thank you. Both of you," he said, moving out of the way and directing his crew to stand back as well. And with a smile for the bowman, he added, "I appreciate it, sir."

It took just a second to realize that in fact, Master Torrence was addressing him. The title wasn't one he used much himself, and had been rarely directed to him since his return from Medonia. "Of course, we're ready then. Stand back lads," he added to his crew while herding them further back away from the scrap.
Nikola Tesla
Old December 9, 2012, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dragon King of the Sands

As the group began to move backwards away from the piece of Xetan carapace, the young man named Torrence moved forward towards the carapace, his duo of Ice Elemental Lords following him. Raising a hand towards it, he summoned forth a shard of ice. As it flew forth towards the piece of xetan carapace, it shattered upon impact, the weaves of elementalism being dispersed by the carapace's anti-arcanic properties. "Hrm... Have at it," said Torrence, and Jax and Nax began pummeling the carapace with multiple ice shards, trying as hard as they could to destroy it, but to no avail. It withstood the impact of the pelting rain of ice shards.

Torrence then motioned for them to back away, and they did so. A blast of fire then erupted from his hands towards the Xetan shield, and it splattered outwards, dispersing into nothingness as the carapace resisted it as well. Then, a spike of earth shot upwards, slamming into the carapace, and that didn't damage it either. Finally a blast of wind knocked the entire dummy over, plus the carapace, but yet again it shown brightly without any damage, and the carapace hummed slightly as it had deflected the entirety of the arcanic assault against it.

Turning towards Klue, Torrence then said, "I'd say you pretty much have a decent shield there, the carapace withstood most of the arcanic attacks I could use against it... We'll see how it holds up against arrows when our friend returns..."
Old December 13, 2012, 01:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mythic

Klue might not care for the idea of mixing magic with mechanics and gadgetry, though clearly he'd made an exception in the case of the shield. He remained convinced that there was nothing a that imagination, initiative and elbow grease...sans magic, couldn't accomplish. But curiosity and the promise of what the results might be, had been entirely too tempting to resist. Besides, was it actually magic? Or was it entirely the opposite?

It didn't mean though that he didn't respect what mages could do with their own chosen craft. Nor did he think less of the talent and skill it must take. Some of his closest friends were mages. Very powerful ones and one or more of them had saved his life with their spells. His own wife was a mage, in fact. Even the dragons who he'd developed a great deal of fondness for, were without question magical creatures.

He was as fascinated by what Torrence, Jax and Nax did as he was interested in the results. Standing back, he flinched a little as each blow was dealt to the scrap of shell. He'd thought at the least that the blast of flame might undo it. Melt it maybe or leave scorched marks behind. But it didn't, nothing save for knocking the dummy down, and causing his crew to pick it up again and lash it in place.

"Thank you, for doing this. It's astounding," he said with a crooked, impressed grin. Both the displays of power, he meant, as well as the results. Of course it remained to be seen what a fired bolt would do. But the fellow hadn't returned with his bow just yet. So Klue wandered to the carapace and leaned in for a closer look at its surface. "What was that humming sound, do you think? Was it just an echo reflection from th' blows? Or something else? Something t' do with its anti magical properties?" he wondered aloud and turned back to Torrence.
Nikola Tesla
Old January 7, 2013, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dragon King of the Sands

"To be honest your Imperial Excellency," started Torrence as he looked towards the shield. "I think it was just the resonance from all of the arcana that hit it at once. It seems to have a layer of film on it, if you look close enough, that is probably what is deterring the arcana so well..." stated Torrence, looking closer towards the shield to examine it. "But that film..." he said, looking even closer, pushing his glasses up upon his brow. "Seems to be intermixed with the carapace itself, It must be what gives it the sort of waxy feel that it has," he then said, brushing his hand upon the carapace, feeling it.

"Yup, i'd say it was just the resonance from dispersing a good amount of Mana and Vis," said Torrence then, taking a step back. Right about at that time, Elor returned with his bow and arrows, looking towards Klue, and giving him a smile. "I'm ready whenever you guys are ready!" he exclaimed. "How did it hold up against the Arcana of the great headmaster Torrence?!" he then asked, a bit too excited for his own good at the chance to test out his skills upon a piece of Carapace from the Xet that had so recently assaulted Demios...
Old January 8, 2013, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mythic

"Resonance, you say," Klue considered as he did in fact take a closer look at the scrap of Xet shell. Now that the mage and ice lords weren't pelting it with spells, that was. Beforehand, he hadn't wanted to be in striking distance of it.

He narrowed his eyes, ran an exploratory finger over its surface much like Torrence had done, nodded and then tapped it with the tip of his forefinger, once, before straightening up. "Interesting. Makes perfect sense," he agreed. Understood, only in the way a non caster could, when faced with a magical explanation. How for the most part escaped him. The fact that it worked, and seemed to, was enough.

"So if that property is intermixed, is in effect part of the shell's structure itself," he wondered. "Do you think it will last indefinitely? Or might some of its...anti spell capability weaken over time?" It had already been some months gone by since the shell had come away from the Xet. He'd assume then, or hope at least, that the ability to repel magic was a more permanent aspect of it.

Meantime, Elor had arrived and Klue met the man with a grin. "Welcome back," he said. "It seems the shell held up quite nicely, better than I'd even hoped it might. I suppose then we're ready to see how it holds up against your crossbow?" he suggested, and urged his crew to stand back again, giving the man all the room he wanted and needed.
Nikola Tesla
Old March 16, 2013, 08:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dragon King of the Sands

"I think that it will weaken as more and more magic is utilized upon it. It all depends on the size and scope of the spells hitting it i'd imagine," stated Torrence. Elor smiled as he arrived, and said, "I'm back, time to test out my crossbow, and regular bow..." Both of which he had brought back with him. Turning towards the carapace, once the room was given from Klue and his Crew, the man knocked the bow, and lifted it up aiming it towards the carapace. Pulling back upon the bowstrings, he let lose an arrow towards the carapace as hard as he could.

The arrow, which would have easily cut through the body of a man, was simply deflected off of the shell. But upon closer inspection, they could see that it had left a small crack in the outside of the carapace. "If I were to hit that weakened spot, it might crack the carapace open..." said Elor, as they checked the carapace, to make sure that it wasn't too too damaged. "I'd say it might hold up for a few more shots... but it seems that hitting it directly with an arrow with that much force behind it... well, arrows are not like swords. Swords pinpoint a larger area with less force than an arrow does. Arrows pinpoint a smaller area, with much more force than that of a sword..." he explained, and then looked towards Klue to see what exactly he thought about it...
Old March 16, 2013, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Mythic

Master Torrence's words made perfect sense, of course. Even the strongest fortresses, with walls crafted thick and as good as impenetrable, weren't really. Even if not battered to pieces by men and weaponry, time and the elements would do the work handily enough. The scrap of shell was no longer attached to its original owner, after all. So would it, having survived a barrage of spells, even limping, recover and begin again next time as strong as the last? Or would it begin weaker instead. Only time would tell, he guessed.

"Thank you, master Torrence," Klue said with a genuine smile. "It tells me a lot, not just about the shield we've made, but the Xet as well." After all, it wasn't just the usefulness of his shield he was testing. But exploring just what the Xets' weaknesses were, and how best to combat them.

Elor's efforts were also educational, and maybe, not so surprising. He'd already known of course that the Xet were not immune to destruction. His homespun explosive had made the point handily. Still, the experiment was educational. The Xet certainly had their exposed heels that could be capitalized on. And his shield? A pretty damned good one, if he said so himself. "I'm not planning to be rained on by bolts any time in the near future," he quipped with a grin. "But if I was, it's fortunate Gregor," he said to his crew member, "that you've backed and cradled that shield in flexible wood."

It occurred to him though, that though he wasn't an archer, he had a weapon that could do similar damage, with as much force. When crafting the weapons for the Incarri, he'd conceived of a somewhat similar, handheld weapon for himself. Spring loaded instead of powered by steam, but the bolts it would fire, both solid and spring enhanced themselves, were already tapered at their leading end. Make them all the more tapered, sharp like a bolt fired from a bow? Well, then he might have a nice Xet buster.

"Thank you, both of you," he said to Torrence and Elor, and another nod to the two ice lords. "You've all been a great deal of help. I've more of this scrap, if either of you would like to take a piece to study for yourselves?" he offered.
Nikola Tesla
Closed Thread