Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Demios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2011, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ann
Leader

Ann is a famous HeroAnn is a famous HeroAnn is a famous Hero

She thought she was planning a ball when disaster strikes - Niven

Ilianthe could only look on in shock as she saw the axemen walking towards the stand of trees. It was clear as to their intent and that was just the beginning of things.

Small as she was Ilianthe just had to find someone to help; but who?

The little silver barked Treant tugged to pull her roots free of the soft volcanic soil shaking her leaves as she did so. She just had to find someone to help. This was a disaster!!
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2011, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Wealth Tier: Steel
Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

16th of Ponutis, Winter, Era XVIII

The brightening had started off relatively normal. Niven helped Kala with Rosyun and then clean up after and saw the older kids off the Schola. Once the last child dissappeared around the corner, Niven sighed and walked back inside. She came into the kitchen and watched Kala sitting at the clean table with Chariras colouring. Niven watched the pair from the doorway for a few moments before she spoke. "I'm going to head out for a walk. I really need some fresh air. I think I'll head to the woods. It always seems to remind me of home."

Fetching her cloak and her bow and quiver from her room (for there was no telling what or who you might encounter on a walk), Niven whistled for Juno. The dog came running and Niven held the door open for him, offering to take him with her. The dog looked at his mistress and then turned away, going off in search of Chariras. Niven shrugged and let herself out.

It wasn't too long before Niven reached the Weaver's Woods. She walked in and stopped and just listened to the wind blow through the trees and the sounds of the woods creatures. She missed this. This reminded her of home.

Hearing a *crunch* *crunch* *crunch*, Niven turned to see a woodsman with an axe walking through the forest. He didn't see her and she didn't care to call attention to herself. She just went back to her solitude.

Walking a little further, Niven thought she saw a tree move. Not like a tree moves in the wind, but actually travel, as if walking. Niven stopped and looked where she thought she'd see the odd event. But nothing happened. She figured it was just a figment of her imagination and made to take another step before she saw the movement again. Now alarmed, Niven looked around and called, "Hello?" Trees didn't move of their own accord....right?

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 12 + 5
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2011, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ann
Leader

Ilianthe did not want to draw the woodsman’s attention to her but what was she to do? She moved quietly through the undergrowth at first but her root began to gather more speed the further away she got. Out of the corner of her eye she saw another person… not a woodsman but someone else.

”Help! You have to help!” she cried as she changed direction and moved ever faster towards the newcomer to the forest.

Perhaps if she has thought about it more she would have done something to slow her momentum.

Now perhaps for the sake of story telling and such things it would behoove the story teller to perhaps explain that Ilianthe is a very young treant, just a baby by all accounts. Her parents are both of the silver birch family and so she has a beautiful silvery bark with delicate black markings. Given that it was winter she should probably not have any leaves but she did …
However I do digress from the story…

Throwing herself at Niven ”Oh you have to help me! The woodsman he has his axe and he might chop down my mommy!! she wailed as her branch like arms clung to Niven.
Old January 15, 2011, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

At the voice, Niven's jade eyes widened in shock. She almost keeled over when a little tree came running, yes running, at her. As it gripped her dress begging her for help, a look of alarm and fear plastered itself on her pretty face. "Um…." Niven said, not sure how to respond. She closed her eyes, mentally telling herself, 'This is a dream. This is not happening. This is not real.' Niven opened her eyes and found that she was not, in fact, dreaming and a tree was, in fact, gripping her and pleading for her help.

Niven closed her eyes again and took a deep breath. She could deal with this. This would be ok. She could do this. Slowly she opened her eyes and looked at the tree. Her eyes scanned it for eyes but she wasn't sure where to look. She didn't see a mouth either, but the tree was definitely talking. "Okay," Niven said, tentatively. "Let's see what we can't do about this, ok?" Niven said, speaking slowly, hardly believing that she was speaking the words leaving her lips.

Niven waited for the tree to move next.

CIR | SoF

Old January 15, 2011, 11:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ann
Leader

If such a thing had occurred to one as young as Ilianthe she would have come to the conclusion that the source of help was an elf and rather a pretty one at that.

She was pleased and to show it she gave a sigh of relief that Niven was willing to help. Reaching out with a slender branch she took a hold of Niven’s hand and with a gentle tug she started to move back in the direction from which she had come.

”The woodsman has come to cut my mommy down I just know it. She broke her arm you know…clean off in the last storm. She’s still pretty though. You will see when we get there.” She said her voice sounding much like a whisper of breeze on a warm summer’s day.

”My name is Ilianthe what’s yours? I have lots of brothers and sisters but they have all moved away. The dragons said they should move to a safer place. Have you seen the dragons? They are very magical you know….” she said as she continued walking back in the same direction that the woodsman had taken.
Old January 16, 2011, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

The tree grabbed Niven's hand and starting pulling her in the same direction as the woodsman had gone. As they moved deeper into the forest, the young tree explained it's fear. The elf nodded. It seemed a reasonable fear for a tree.

The tree introduced itself and Niven smiled. "I'm Niven. It's a… pleasure Ilianthe. I have not seen a dragon, but I have, indeed, heard that they are very magical." Niven paused for the moment. "Do you speak to people often or is this a one time thing?" she asked the tree.

It occurred to Niven she still might be dreaming, but for the time being, it seemed alight to continue with the dream. And the little tree seemed nice enough. And Niven was a wood elf. It only made sense that Ilianthe would have chosen her and that she should defend her mother from the woodsman. So until she had reason to not, Niven was going to help this tree.

CIR | SoF

Old January 16, 2011, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ann
Leader

” I am most pleased to make your acquaintance Niven. I can’t say for sure but I think you are the only soft skin I’ve ever talked to. Cept the dragon, but then dragons are not too soft either. “ she asnswered.

Somewhere not too far ahead there was the sound of the woodsman’s axe against the bark of a tree. If one were to listen carefully they would hear the screams of agony from the tree.

Ilianthe dropped Nivens’ hand and began to run

”That’s my mommy…” she cried as came to the clearing where the woodsman was raising his axe to once again strike at the tree.
Old January 16, 2011, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Nodding at the tree's response, Niven thought, 'Figures.' Really, though, how often would someone really come upon a talking tree. And if they did come upon one, what were the chances that it actually would speak to them. And then, of all those chances, what were the odds that it would come upon and elf? And even more improbable, a wood elf?

The faint sound of axe meeting wood reached Niven's pointy ears, and Ilianthe began to get agitated. As they got closer, Niven could hear the tree being cut into crying out in pain. Niven's eyes widened. This kept getting weirder and weirder. Ilianthe pointed out that was her mother, and Niven took charge.

"Excuse me!" she called, running forward into the clearing. "Excuse me! I'm so sorry, but I was just wondering if there was a reason you chose this particular tree to chop down?" Niven inquired of the woodsman. "This tree here is a particular favourite of a friend and I was wondering if you might agree to let it be and find another?"

CIR | SoF

Old January 17, 2011, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ann
Leader

The woodsman had already dropped his axe by the time Niven arrived, a look of horror on his face at the realization of what he had just done.

He would have to be deaf not to hear the trees screams of pain as the axe struck the bark.

I didn't know...I didn't know she was a magic one. I'd not have touched if I had known...forgive me missy" he said with a hint of fear in his voice as it he felt Niven was going to cause him some harm.

It just looked like any other tree that had been damaged in the storms. I just wanted some wood to keep my fire lit."

In the meantime while the conversation between Niven and the woodsman was takining place, Ilianthe was clinging to the dying Treant that was her mother. The woodsman's axe had struck a fatal blow.
Old January 17, 2011, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

The woodsman looked a little afraid of her and Niven thought it was worth using in her favour.

"I understand the need to keep warm, that is a basic need, but did you not hear the tree crying out in pain as you struck it?" Niven asked the man, rising to her full 5'5", her confidence growing with each word. She gestured to Ilianthe. "Trees have feelings too. They hurt as we hurt. I'm sorry, but one who seems to know of magic trees should already be aware of this." Niven looked disappointed at the man. She hoped he was buying this.

Looking at Ilianthe clinging to her mother, Niven walked to the tree and put her creamy hand upon as if to feel it's life force. Niven sighed. "I think you should go," she said to the woodsman, her jade eyes scanning this new tree for any signs of life.

"I'll do everything I can," Niven said to Ilianthe, her voice low so only the small tree could hear. Niven thought of Carnasch. He was a druid. If there was nothing she could do, perhaps there was something he could.

CIR | SoF

Old January 17, 2011, 09:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ann
Leader

Ilianthe has hard as she might could do nothing to heal the wounds her mother had suffered at the unspuspecting hands of the woodsman. She did not hear the words spoken by Niven in an effort to comfort her. She did not hear the words of the woodsman who was only trying to keep himself and his family warm through the cold winter.

"Be brave my little Ilianthe....remember always that I love you and will be forever in your heart.."

The little Treant had never known such despair as she did at that moment. She was all alone.
Old January 17, 2011, 11:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

By the way Ilianthe clung to her mother, Niven could tell that she was running out of time. It wasn't going to be long now until the tree succumbed to her wounds.

She heard the words uttered by the tree to her offspring and Niven's heart sank in her chest. And with no powers of her own, there was nothing the elf could do to help her new tree-friend.

As the the tree's life force left, Niven reached out to the little tree in comfort. "I'm so sorry, Ilianthe," she said, her sorrow heavy in her voice.

CIR | SoF

Old January 19, 2011, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ann
Leader

Ilianthe felt the soft touch of the wood elf’s hand as she grieved for her mother. The slender twigs of her hand curled around Nivens as she said her final goodbye to her mother.

It was at that moment that bright shaft of light came down through the tree canopy to envelope the Treant. Ilianthe looked on in awe for this was Carmelya coming to take her mother home. She had heard stories of how the beautiful Goddess took care of her children; this indeed was a wondrous sight to behold. A gentle breeze stirred the leaves upon the forest floor.

”Niven, you are given guardianship of the little one. In time she will need to be reunited with the rest of her kind for the darkening is coming and they must be ready.” the words echoed softly around the small glade. Yet there was no one else there besides the woodsman, who looked more afraid than ever and Ilianthe and Niven herself.
Old January 20, 2011, 01:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

If Ilianthe had been a flesh and bones person, Niven would have embraced her, but for now the elf just let the little tree wrap her branches around her hand.

The light shining into the glade was bright and Niven shielded her face with her arm as she walked backwards away from the dead mother tree, pulling the little Ilianthe along with her. Once out of the beam, Niven watched as the light enveloped the dead Treant and her eyes widened in shock. Never in her life had the elf experienced something so magical and she looked upon the scene in wonder.

A voice spoke, and Niven looked to either side of here, looking for the source. There was no one but she, the woodsman, and Ilianthe. Her jade eyes widened in surprise as she realized she was having her own experience with one of the gods. She listened carefully as the voice seemed to move around the glade, encompassing the trio.

"Ready?" Niven asked, still looking around her, "Ready for what?" Niven's eyes looked at the little Treant she now had in her charge and then looked up at the light beam. "How will I know when she is to be returned to her own kind?" she asked.

CIR | SoF

Old January 22, 2011, 11:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ann
Leader

Nivens questions were met with silence. It was almost as if she had imagined these last few candle marks except for the presence of Ilianthe.
The little Treant looked up at Niven “Do you have a garden where I can stay Niven? “ she asked in a sad little voice.

Aye Mistress, ye best be takin the little one with ye. There is no tellin what might befall her if'n she is left all alone in the forest." the woodsman said his voice still shaken from the events that had unfolded.

ooc This concludes our thread. :) I will post in your sof about Ilianthe.