Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Carmelyn > Demios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2010, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch is a famous HeroCarnasch is a famous Hero
Things Gone Astray (Niven, Private)

TS: 23rd of Ponutis

Carnasch was down in the kitchen. It was quite late at night as well, and the others had gone to sleep as far as he knew. He had been experimenting with spells lately, trying to develop a way that he could become more like Kala, but without having to worry that the spell might wear off in the middle of something.

He wasn't sure why, but it seemed important to him to show her that he was willing to do this for her. It was not like she would have cared, she already loved him, but he felt like it was he should show her that he wanted her too. It was just important. He didn't know why or how to explain it, so he was down here in the middle of the night working on spells.

This one in particular was rather painful, but it had the best results of any of the others. Two Darkening ago he had grown scales. That hadn't hurt like this though, but they had stayed the entire night, and he had almost been found out when the kids had come and woken him, his experimental body part still covered in dark green scales. Luckily it had still been under the covers.

Now he was trying to develop wings, but it felt like the skin on his back was being stretched and pulled and torn by the spell, and he leaned on the counters. His breath came raggedly, and occasionally even a cry of pain escaped his lips, only to be cut short in an effort to keep quiet.

In a momentary lull in the pain, Carnasch reached back with one hand to feel at his back. He could tell there was something there, connected to his shoulder blades it felt like. It was scaly like he had wanted it, but it still felt to small. Just then, another burst of pain hit him, and he doubled over onto the counter, biting his lip to keep from opening his mouth and letting the yell of pain out. It was still audible despite that, but at least it wouldnt wake up the entire neihborhood.

"I am a man in body and a beast in mind. I cannot coexist with either court of man or animal."
Carnasch is sometimes accompanied by his horse Gus, which will be specifically stated at the beginning of each thread.

Last edited by Carnasch; December 30, 2010 at 06:12 PM.
Carnasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Wealth Tier: Steel
Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

It was late and the house was almost quiet. Niven had awoke to answer nature's call and had found after that she was a bit parched. She wrapped her dressing coat around her as she moved to go downstairs to the kitchen. Soft grunts could be heard coming from the downstairs and what sounded like little yelps of pain. The elf froze. That wasn't a normal sound and Niven contemplated waking Dante. She decided against it, figuring she could call for help if she needed it.

Still alarmed, Niven ran back to her bedroom and grabbed her dagger. Unsheathing it, she took on an offensive position as she silently came down the stairs and soundlessly moved from the foyer to the dining room, her jade eyes darting around and her pointy ears perked and ready to decipher where exactly the sounds were coming from. The sounds seemed to be coming from the kitchen and Niven pressed her ear against the door. The grunts sounded oddly familiar.

Slowly, Niven opened the the door to the kitchen and found a friendly, albeit unhappy, face crouched over the counter. "Carnasch?" she ventured, her dagger still raised in a threatening manner. "What on Telath are you doing?" Niven stepped closer, tentatively.

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 12 + 5
Niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch caught a glimps of Niven just before a second wave of pain hit, worse than the one that had put him on the counter, and his legs gave out. Sadly, because he was taller than most, his legs still be supporting him rather than the counter, so when they failed him, he slumped and flopped to the floor.

The Vagaran was still consious, but his newly grown appendages shreiked in agony when he landed on them on the floor, so he "jumped" convulsively and rolled to one side. He lay there, his back feeling like it was being torn to peices, while two large wings formed on his back, in clear as brightening sight of Niven.

He couldn't answer at that exact time either, so it was a good thing the wings were almost as big as he was now. He squirmed a little longer on the floor before going still as the pain relaxed, and his grunts of pain ceased as well. After a few seconds, though, he started to get up, so that Niven wouldn't think he was dead, but he was shaky with the shock to his system.

He managed to get to the counter again, but he hadn't said anything yet, finally, after breathing deep for a moment, and spitting out some blood from his lip, he said, "Im working on something for Kala. I need you not to tell anyone yet ok?" He also wanted it to be something of a surprize for her. He thought she might like it if he did something nice for her, but he had to make sure he could do it so that he wouldn't raise her hopes and then dash them.

"I am a man in body and a beast in mind. I cannot coexist with either court of man or animal."
Carnasch is sometimes accompanied by his horse Gus, which will be specifically stated at the beginning of each thread.
Old December 30, 2010, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

Carnasch crashed to the floor and Niven was about to run to him when he suddenly yelled and flipped over and wings protruded out of his back and they grew large. Her eyes grew as big as saucers and Niven stepped back in surprise, dropping her dagger to the floor. It clattered against the stone and Niven's head whipped around as she turned to face the door. There was a good chance that between the two of them they very well might have woken up the entire house with this racket. She glanced at Carnasch and as he was pulling himself back up onto the counter as she listened intently for sounds of movements upstairs. Hearing nothing, she refocused her attention on her newly deformed friend.

"C-C-C-Carnasch?" Niven said, her words coming out barely above a whisper. He spoke and confusion clouded her features. "What do you mean, you're working on something for Kala!? What on earth could you be doing for Kala that requires you to make such racket in the middle of the darkening!? You could have woken the entire house! And what, exactly, could she need from you that would require..." Niven gestured furiously towards the wings, words escaping her at the moment, "...those," she finished.

Niven looked at her friend sideways for a moment before she sighed. "Are you ok?" she finally asked him, bending down to scoop her dagger up off the floor.

CIR | SoF

Old December 30, 2010, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hero

The Vagaran's pain subsided fully, and he stood upright again, shifting about while he talked, trying to get used to the new sensation of having wings attached to him, and the new sense of feeling they had. It wasnt like the rest of his skin, or the scales from before. It was more sesitive in a way.

"Well... you know... Kala's..." He hadn't thought anyone would not understand why he was growing wings if he were caught, and he was still a little in shock from pain, despite the fact that he was up and moving about. "She's a Dracon like Dante you know?"

It didn't bother him in the slightest that she was, but he knew that it bothered other humans, and that was why she had changed her seeming. He had only seen her as herself maybe three or four times since they had met. "I just... I wanted her to... you know, not have to always be hiding i guess."
His wings were fully grown now, as tall as he was, just elevated above his head some so that they hung above the floor just like Dante's were. These were more muscular though, although that may have just been Carnasch's body type, it was because the barbarian could actually fly with his.

Old December 30, 2010, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Raising her eyebrows, Niven rolled her eyes. "Yes, I am aware that Kala is a dracon like Dante." she said in a slightly impatient tone. None of what her Vagran friend was telling her was actually the information that she was trying to get out of him. "What does that have anything to do with you trying to kill yourself by growing wings?" Niven crossed her arms and stood waiting for Carnasch's reply.

As he replied to her, Niven looked confused again. "You're doing this so that Kala doesn't 'need'..." the elf uncrossed her arms and made quotations in the air with her fingers "...to hide her true form. Do you not think that Dante going around in his dracon form might also do the same thing? And don't you think that that would make more sense then you deforming yourself?" Niven asked him, an amused smile playing on her lips. Carnasch certainly seemed to be a bit of a masochist and Niven couldn't understand why, though it was kind-of amusing to watch someone put themselves through physical torture for no good reason.

"And why all the concern for Kala's feelings about being in her dracon form?" Niven asked the Vagran, coyly, now leaning on the counter, resting her chin in one of her hands. She had a feeling that Carnasch was going to divulge some very interesting information and she didn't want to miss anything.

CIR | SoF

Old December 30, 2010, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch was shirtless, since he had known that he would ruin his shirt trying this if he didnt take it off, so Niven could also see his plethora of scars. By comparison his face looked clean and whole.

"I am not trying to kill myself." He retorted emphatically. "I am trying to show Kala she can be whoever she wants around me. That she can look like whatever she wants." That was the best he could explain it really.

"And besides, the scales didn't hurt like this. I havn't tried a tail yet though..." He wasnt sure he understood the rest of what she was saying. He knew Dante could change his seeming, but he didn't bother a lot of the time because well, as Carnasch now knew, it hurt. Admittably, there were probably other reasons, but none of them had anything to do with why Kala didn't change her seeming.

As for why he cared about her feelings... he didnt really know. He hadn't really given it much thought. "I uh... I don't really know. Its just important to me I guess." His face screwed up with thinking about it, his eyebrows coming together. This was new. He hadn't ever felt like this before really. Close sometimes, but not this extreme, this attached.

Last edited by Carnasch; December 30, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old December 30, 2010, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Cocking her head, Niven looked at Carnasch and asked, "And what, pray tell, gave you the idea that Kala is not comfortable with who she is or what she looks like around you? I mean, come on, Carnasch, you guys have been friends longer than she and i have. I can't imagine she is in any way feeling like being around you is inhibiting her from being herself." She looked at the Vagran and studied his wings. "And I don't know if sprouting wings is going to help you in your little venture..." Niven trailed off, pushing herself off the counter and going to the cupboard for a glass and then to the cistern for some water. As she poured she listened to Carnasch continue.

"Wait wait wait wait wait!" Niven said, holding up one of her hands. "You tried scales? And you want to try a tail?" She looked at her friend incredulously. Had the cheese slipped off his cracker? This was a whole new ball of wax. Did he not get that dracons most often changed their seemings to avoid trouble and here was her loony friend trying to turn himself into one. This was some sick game

Carnasch answered her question, saying that making Kala feel at ease around him was important to him and Niven raised her eyebrows. "Carnach," Niven said, shaking her head, "Come on now. Let's be serious. Why are you really doing this? What's going on? And why all the secrets? We're friends. And in order for me not to go running off to find you some mental help, you're going to need to explain to me what the reasoning behind all this is about." The elf looked at her friend seriously. "Did Dante put you up to this?"

CIR | SoF

Old December 30, 2010, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch clearly wasn't explaining himself correctly. It happened, more often then he like to admit, but it did happen. He said, "No! thats not what I meant. I know she is comfortable around me," a small, slightly mischevous smile appeared on his lips for just a moment at the thought, "but I don't know... I just wanted to do something for her."

"Well ya. I mean, I'v done fur before, thats easy. I thought the scales looked good though. They were green like pine needles." Carnasch seemed to have gotten slightly side tracked as he commented on the scales, but it was obvious that he had been paying good attention when he made them. The Vagran noted the size, shape, color, texture, hardness, and of course right now he was saying all this out loud. It could even have been taken as a defencive list, as if he felt that Niven had been saying he couldn't make his skin grow scales.

"I really am just doing this for Kala." He just looked at Niven funny when she mentioned Dante putting him up to this, "Now that is ridiculous. Dante is the most accepting of anyone in this house. Probably the city. Thats why we're here remember?" He waved a finger back and forth between them, meaning we as in us.

After that he turned and started out the door to the back yard, and said, "Come on, I gotta try something really quick." Once outside, assuming she followed him, he stretched the wings out as far as they would go, testing them for deformities and the like. There were none of course, but he tested them anyway.

Old December 31, 2010, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

The funny look Carnasch gave her when she mentioned the possibility of Dante putting him up to this made her hold up her free hand (the one that wasn't holding the glass of water) in surrender. "Yes, I know that Dante is very accepting. I wasn't suggesting that he wasn't. I just thought that maybe because you guys were going to out to try to hunt out that succumbus that you needed to look like a dracon so perhaps she was mislead into thinking you were Dante or something. I don't know, it was just a thought." Niven shrugged her shoulders. It wasn't a bad postulation. She was sure they'd done crazier and she wouldn't have put it past them. "And what's wrong with me that I'd need so much acceptance?" she asked him, trying to keep the amusement off her face. This was something she really wanted to hear. It would be interesting to hear Carnasch's assessment of her.

Carnasch beckoned her to follow as he headed out the back door into the garden, stating he needed to 'try' something. "Carnasch," Niven said in a warning tone as she followed him out. If she wasn't mistaken, her crazy friend was going to attempt flying with his new wings.

The air was a little chilly and Niven hugged her dressing coat around her tighter as she took a sip of her water. She shook her head as she watched her friend. He really was something else...

CIR | SoF

Old December 31, 2010, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch thought about her explanation for a while, looking like he was actually considering the idea, but finally said, "No... Our aras would still be different, and Nera is a Daemon. They practically drip Vis from what I understand, so she could probably tell mine and Dante's ara apart. Physical appearance wouldn't matter."
It was one of those strange few times when the barbarian sounded like he had more of a brain than "Goblin SMASH!!". With the exception of the few people in this household, no one would ever have believed it possible.

And Niven seemed to have taken his comment that they had something wrong with them. As far as he was concerned, he was the only sane person he had ever met. Buuuut, it you asked civilization, they would probably have given you a list as long as thier leg of reasons to have him executed. As for Niven, Carnasch thought he had a few quirks, but nothing that would make her unacceptable to normal people, and he said about as much, "Its not that there is anything wrong with you, you're not a social endangerment like me," Rolled his eyes at the thought, as if him being a danger to society was an old joke, "You just found where you belong here."

Outside, Carnasch was indeed planning on at least testing his wings. He stretched them out, pulled them back in, and for all intesive purposes looked rather frightening to anyone other than Niven.
When she said his name responded with, "What?" the tone of his voice sounded like a mixture of indignace that she might try to stop him, disappointment that it was already a foregone conclusion that she would. "If you had wings, wouldn't you at least be curious?" He got a devious smile on his face then and said, "I could give you a pair if you wanted to try it."

Old December 31, 2010, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Again, Niven shrugged. She wasn't sure what exactly Carnasch was talking about as she had no experience with arcana, even though she'd probably be decent with it if she'd ever tried. Elves were normally talented with arcana, but, like most things, Niven had never tried nor shown interest. Perhaps it might be time to show some.

Niven gave a knowing smile and nod. Carnasch, though more than a little daft in social situations, seemed to sidestep that possible land mine well. It amused her that he could be better socially than he'd probably ever thought possible.

Now outside, Niven gave a short laugh and Carnasch a wry smile. Truth be told, yes, she probably would want to test them had she had wings herself. Carnasch offered to give her wings and Niven shook her head immediately, "Are you mad? It looked like it hurt when you did it to yourself! You think I'm going to willingly let you put me through that agony? Not on your life!"

CIR | SoF

Old December 31, 2010, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Hero

Carnasch started flapping them a bit, at first not nearly hard enough to gain lift, still testing things, while he talked to Niven.

"No no, I could give a magical pair that aren't permanent. Those don't hurt at all, they just appear and you can fly." It was true too. All he had to do was Alter her body with the Animal Skin spell, and she would painlessly have wings. He had used a different spell on himself, because he didn't want to worry about having body parts changing back to normal without warning.

He started beating his wings harder now. It felt good, like exercising after a long time of holding still. His wings were spread out for a total of almost fifteen feet, and the air he was trying to move buffetted Niven and whooshed through her clothing and hair. The Vagran pumped his wings as hard as he could for a while, but couldn't get up until he finally got frustrated and jumped.

After that his wings could suspend him and lift him, but he didn't go much higher than a few feet above Niven's head. He laughed happily at his success, and remained up there for a minute or so then held his wings in place and glided back to the earth. If Niven had accepted his offer of wings, he of course gave them to her before trying to fly himself.

Last edited by Carnasch; January 1, 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old January 1, 2011, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Carnasch renewed his offer, citing the new appendages would be painless and Niven held up her hand and shook her head. "No really, I'm good," she said with a smile. Niven wasn't really excited about the prospect of flying. She was more than happy with her legs and what they could do for her.

Watching as Carnasch tested out his abilities, Niven's mind wandered to the reasons behind his desire to do something like this for Kala. It was a little out of character for him to think about someone else in such a way. While she knew Carnasch could be a really decent guy, that being proved by her first encounter with the Vagran, he normally tended to be more of a tool. He cared about Dante and his family and Niven knew he cared about her too, but the caring he was now showing for Kala was a bit above and beyond. The two had known each other for quite some time and Carnasch had never seemed interested in making her feel 'more comfortable' in being herself before. Niven wondered if perhaps he was developing feelings for their friend. This made a smile form on her lips. That would definitely be an interesting turn of events.

The smile never left Niven's lips as she watched Carnasch hover above her head and then glide back to the ground. She would probe her friend for more information. If she didn't get to the bottom of his change of opinion this darkening, she would talk to Kala. For now, she just waited patiently while Carnasch tested his wings and would chat with him about it when he decided to return to the house and her.

CIR | SoF

Old January 1, 2011, 01:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hero

The Vagaran was rather pleased with his success, and landed a little ways from Niven. He folded his wings up behing him and looked in general both very monstrous and happy at the same time. His body was a little sweaty with the effort, and it was obvious that although his wings had the muscles developed to fly, the rest of his body was un accustomed to the work. His chest expanded and collapsed as he breathed deeply, not out of breath, just deeply, and Niven could see the defining lines of his muscularity despite the darkness.

The Vagran asked, "So what do you think?" He spread his arms a little, and his wings moved outwards as well. The two sets of appendages seemed linked when ever he wasnt trying to fly, so when he moved his arms, his wings moved too. That was something he would have to work on.
Carnasch was of course refering to his wings, what she thought of them, but the question would remind her of a young man asking what she thought of his body, his muscles, in the way he asked. The Vagran was definatly proud of his new appendages, and he wanted to show them off to someone. Niven was probably one of his second choices, but since he didn't want to show Kala until after the whole project was done, and Niven was awake, she was his best option.

It was definatly better than going next door and waking someone up there...