Fae'len - Language of the Fae
A Guide to Conversational Fae'len
Published by Llanwyn Siannodel
September 7, 2009
Fae'len - Language of the Fae

A Guide to Conversational Fae'len
The language of the Fae
by: Llanwyn Siannodel

The language of the Fae peoples of Telath, known in their own tongue as Fae'len, is as ancient and full of lore as the races themselves. In fact, the word Fae'len is not even directly translatable into any other language. It is a complex language of long speech and curving words. The elegance of Fae'len is know to the more ancient races of Telath, but mostly forgotten by all but the Fae. While it is quite unpractical due to its complex and slow speech, pride of fae peoples kept the language alive. In modern times, it is highly unlikely that fae exist without knowledge of their ancient language, and most speak it, as well as, common. The alphabet of Fae'len is closely related to that of Elvish, but also has some similarities with the Common alphabet. The alphabet includes all characters in the Common alphabet with minor exceptions. They are...

1. The letter å, pronounced "A." This letter is often replaced by two joining sounds of a and e. This is seen in such words as Fae'rel or Faerie. The correct spelling of such words in the ancient tongue are "Få'rel" and "Fårie." While this letter still exists in the Fae alphabet, it is no longer in use. Instead, the combination of ae, pronounced “A” is commonly understood as its successor and therefore a single character.

2. The character "Ll" is the normal way the common letter "L" is written. Rarely does one see a single "L" in Fae'len unless it is simplified language or at the end of a word. For instance, the word "llemenia," loosely translated to mean "name," uses the "Ll" rule while the word "Fae'len" does not. This is only because Fae'len is simplified tongue, and when properly spelled is "Fae'llene," meaning, "Tongue of Fae."

3. The letter "Z" does not exist in Fae'len. The sound does not occur in Fae speech and therefore is not included in their alphabet.

4. A conjunction of "ia" often takes the place and sound of the letter "y," although both exist in Fae'len. The character "ia" exists as a separate entity in the language and is quite a commonly used character.

5. The character "i" is pronounced as the common capital letter "E."

6. The character "x" is pronounced as a "ch" sound, like in the common word church.
Basic Grammar
Fae'len is spoken from left to right, and is arranged in spoken manner. Unlike some languages that place the adjective after the noun, in Fae'len, it is placed before much like common. For example, take the sentence, "I am a blue fae." In Fae'len, it is..."A'bue Fae." The adjective of blue is placed before the noun, fae, just like in common. This is a hard fast rule, the adjective always goes before the noun in Fae'len, except for in proper nouns. Proper nouns are the exception because the language itself was first built upon them. The religious term for a Grace is "Graec'Celest" or "Celestial Grace." In this example, the adjective is placed after the Noun.

When discussing grammar in Fae'len, it is important to remember its situational manner. Some words and conjunctions can have various meanings depending on the situation. For instance, in the sentence, "A'twell mae asce a'Aelyria Prime," which translates to "I am traveling by horse to Aelyria Prime," the conjunction A' means "I am." It can also mean just the noun, "I" in a sentence needing it to. The same goes with the word "mae" which means "by" in this sentence, but can also means "of." Here are a list of common words and conjunctions that are situational...
allae - often seen as a' in its conjunctive form, can mean "I," "I am," "the" or "in."

Mae - "to be," or "on."

o' - "by", "from," "to" or "of"

" - "and"
The "to be" verbs that exist in common are separated here in one way. Alle can mean "I am," while Mae represents all other "to be" situations, such as..."which is," or "has been." When referring to situations where "someone is going to do something," the word o' is used. This is not to be confused with "to be" parts of speech and situations. To place an emotional state, verb, or proposition in the past tense, simply add the letter "i" to the end of the word. For instance... Atee allaei uis (She was sad), Ataem maei illepsae (They were sleeping).

The Fae are a race of artists in their own rights. Beauty is valued in society subconsciously and it shows in the language. In certain situations, words like "mae" might be repeated twice in the grammatical organization of a sentence, and because of the syllabic problems that may bring about, Fae'len corrects itself. Here is an example...

The Fae is on the table.

In this sentence, the word for "is" and "on" is mae. Therefore, it would be written,

A'Fae mae mae a'llet.

The problem with that sentence is that it is awkward and there needs to be a correction made for the flow to stay continuous. This is done through a conjunction or '. The resulting sentence is...

A'Fae mae'a'llet.

Combining words and phrases is a common practice in Fae'len. The language itself auto-corrects itself to sound right to the fae ear, and therefore, can become quite intense, as well as, change over time due to the addition of new outside words.

*Note: The word allae (written and spoken as a' in conjunctions) is pronounced as a lower-case "a" in common, even when in capitol form. The word, "Allae" is only fully written out when describing an emotional state, such as Allae uis (I am sad).

Fae'len has only one set of grammar rules. In this, it is meant that it lacks a separation between formal and informal speech. The pronouns of Fae'len are therefore always the same, and they are...
I = allae
Me = amae
You = Utae
He = atae
She = atee
It = om
We = mos
They/Them =ataem
You (plural) = utaem
Combination Properties
In Fae'len exists a combination character known as an empllae. It is noted as a ' and is used in many situations. Most commonly it is used when dealing with the proposition, Allae. When dealing with the "I am" proposition, Allae is simplified to a'. This is done through a need to make the language flow to a rhythm only found in nature.
Plural Form
The plural form of a word in Fae'len is easily transformed by adding the letters "qe" to the end of the word. "Qe" is a shortened form of the word "Qellet", meaning "various." Conjunction has faded over time to leave the writer with simply just adding the "qe" such as in the following example...[indent]A'Fae mae'a'lletqe = which means The Fae is on the tables.

In singular form it would be, A'Fae mae'a'llet.
Alphabet
å, a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, ia, j, k, ll, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y
Conversation
A simple demonstration in conversational Fae'len proves useful in describing pronunciation of this language. When one meets a fae, it is quite polite to say "Fae'menia a'leor" It translates to "Greetings Gentle Fae," and is pronounced, "FA-men-ya-a-lay-or." The word leor loosely means greetings, and its prefix "a" translates the entire conjunction of "a'leor" to mean a greeting. When words combine, the meaning of them are changed to alter to the situational manner. Fae'len is often called a "situational language" for this reason. More examples of conversational speech will show this...
allo'abe - pronounced "a-low-a-bay" means, "Good morning"

allo'ade - pronounced "a-low-a-day" means, "Good afternoon"

allo'nae - pronounced - "a-low-nay" means, "Good night"

telle'utae - pronounced - "tell-U-tay" means, "Thank you"

teia - pronounced - "te-ya" means, "Welcome"

a'llemenia mae _______ - pronounced "a-lay-men-ya may _______" means, "I have a name which is _______."

a'plyae mae - pronounced "a-ply-A may" means, "pleasure of mine." This is a common response for meeting a fae. It is much like the common tongues, "Nice to meet you."

aye - pronounced "a-yA" means, "yes"

nwyn - pronounced "n-win" means, "no"
*Note: Historically, Fae choose not to adapt new words from other languages into Fae'len as Fae words, but instead pronounce and spell it as it is in the other language. This occurs when a new word is introduced to Fae.
Common Household Items
Table---llet
Chair---Chair (Fae historically stand while eating)
Bed---buflae (Historically refers to a bed of leaves)
Cup---Cup
Spoon---Spoon
Fork---Fork
Plate---tespi (historically square, 'tes' meaning 'flat', 'pi' meaning 'square')
Bowl---tespo ('po' meaning round, historically fae used bowls which had only a slight rim, making them quite flat)
Floor---gelltes (Refers also to the forest floor, 'gell' mean 'her' - referring in this case to Carmelya, 'tes' meaning 'flat')
Ceiling---wosh (Refers also to the sky, literally means 'endless')
Walls---a'tesqe (literally means 'the flats')
Descriptions & Colors
Square---pi
Round---po
Flat---tes
Endless/Vast---wosh
Thin---pibi
Fat---pobi
Smooth---hentes ('hen' meaning 'soft')
Soft---hen
Hairy---o'tesh ('o'' for 'of', 'tesh' meaning hair)

Aqua---Sylea
Black---Llorea
Blue---Xelld
Brown---Cria
Crimson---Iallea
Gold---Vord
Grey---Kray
Green---Allia
Indigo---Qonim
Lavender---Diamae
Magenta---J’åll
Maroon---Prehnon
Orange---Nullea
Peach---Yonef
Periwinkle---Periawinnklle
Red---Temear
Scarlet--- Nortia
Silver---Atua
Tan---Dortea
Turquoise---Llear
Violet--- Iall
White---Cyian
Yellow---Rutia
Races
Names for other races and there own are interesting in Fae'len. Different combinations of characteristics usually combine to form a race name, such as that of giants on this list where two attributes form a description that in turn names this large race. Also, the use of "of" is applied in describing some races such as dracon which on this list is named "of Dragon" in fae'len.
Common-Fae'len-pronunciation

Aelyrian-- Allearain--A-lay-ra-in

Aelyrian, Ancient—Lalled'allearain-- Ial-ed-a-lay-ra-in-

Dorin—Lllea'vrywn-- Le-a-ver-e-in (tall wolf, Vrywn-wolf, llea-tall)

Dracon--- Omrywn--Om-er-e-in (of Dragon)

Dragon--- Mrywn--Mer-e-in

Dwarf--- Teav--TAy-av

Dwarf, Daelagian--- Teaviaocria-- Teav-e-a-o-cre (dwarf of ground, Teav-dwarf, o-of, cria-ground)

Elf--- Oke'trall--O-kay-tral (of Ke’tralas) Fae often use trall as a shortened form of Elf.

Elf, Esh'lahier--- Vortnym'trall-- vort-nim-tral (Trall-shortened form of Elf, vortnym-dark)

Elf, Vysstichi--- Vortnym'trall-- vort-nim-tral (Trall-shortened form of Elf, vortnym-dark) The Fae do not distinguish between the dark elf sub races. A dark elf is a dark elf to a Fae.

Elf, Nimâlni--- Lallea'trall-- la-lay-E-a-tral (winter elf, Iallea-winter)

Elf, Thëlyri--- Ria'trall-- ree-a-tral (sea elf, Ria-sea)

Fae-Folk, Elemeni--- Elemeni-- L-lay-men-E

Fae-Folk, Faerie--- Faerie--Fay-ree

Fae-Folk, Grace--- Graec-- Gray-S

Fae-Folk, Nymph--- Ovie--O-vee-A (of nature)

Fae-Folk, Pixie--- Criafaerie--Cre-a-far (earth faerie)

Fae-Folk, Sprite--- Ryndornn--Reend-dorn (winged Halfling, Ryn--wings)

Giants--- Llea"dranorn--Laid-ran-orn-e-a (tall and fierce, Llea--tall, "--and, norn--fierce)

Gnome--- Qolliavy--Quol-e-av-y (this word is loosely translated in common to hermaphodite, and while its surface meaning in Fae'len is Gnome, its reasons for being so are the same.)

Halfling--- Dornn--Dorn

Human--- Giall--Gee-all

Human, Kemite-- Kemite--Key-mite (this word is strictly human/common in nature and therefore the fae have no word of their own for this breed of man. They are all humans to them.)

Human, Linn Feanii--- Linn Feanii--Lin Fee-an-E

Human, Rhagrhnd--- Rhagrhnd--Rha-ger-hend

Katta ---Kattia-- Kat-e-a

Lizardman--- Beado--Be-ad-do

Lutran--- Luitran--Lu-E-tran

Merfolk— Oaria--Oar-e-a (of the sea)

Minotaur--- Xortram--Zort-ram

Necrosian---Meartrador--Mert-rad-or

Orc---Gryn--Ger-ren

Rodenti---Oahyvor-- O-ah-high-vor (of the rodent)

Treant---Illeacr--Illie-a-cr
Article Tools

Comment
Article Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: