Old May 17, 2018, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fear the Reaper

Grim is a famous HeroGrim is a famous HeroGrim is a famous Hero

Oh Boy Here We Go Again

Timestamp: Is a Thing, I guess.

There was a very nervous looking orc waiting outside for WAAAAAAAGH. He was wearing his very best waaghwoe-is-me expression. Even clutching a helmet nervously in his hands, turning it over slowly.

"Ah, Boss," he said, looking decidedly down to the floor and doing his very best not to draw any unwanted attention. "It's the mines." He looked like he was expecting to get punched and would probably consider that getting off easy.

"We... uh... lost the Vorgan mines, boss."
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Champion

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
WAAAAAAAGH WAAAAAAAGH WAAAAAAAGH WAAAAAAAGH

You know, the old Warlord might have punched the messenger in the face.

That was before the winter had come, though. This had been the first winter of its kind in regards to what exactly the orc had been up to. Namely, with such a large organization, certain things were inevitable. Food was a logistical nightmare, especially up in the mountains. The Warlord's Sherian tributaries had definitely made that easier, reaffirming that it had been a good idea to implement that system. And, of course, there were the flareups of insubordination that any greenskin who led more people than himself inevitably had to deal with.

There had been a lot more face-punching then.

But now it was spring and to be quite frank, internal conflicts were only capable of being so much entertainment for a greenskin to deal with. They weren't proper fights, in the grand scheme of things. And, so, while it rankled the Warlord that somehow these gits had managed to lose the Vorgan Mines - after a bit of wondering how exactly they could lose the mines, before realizing that it was likely meant in terms of control and possession as opposed to, we don't actually know where it is - the prospect of a right proper scrap was nice, too.

"Well then let's GET IT BACK, YA GIT!" the Warlord bellowed, practically laughing as he hefted his trusty choppa and glared back at the boy. Excitement. This was good. A good fight was needed after the winter lull. "Who we lose it to? I'mma crush 'em fer takin' mah fings."
Old May 20, 2018, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fear the Reaper

"Well, uh…" the orc shuffled some dirt around with his foot. "We don't know, boss."

"Lots of screaming from the mine, see, not what you would call out of the ordinary, thought maybe B'anrak, Cho-kaz and Ste've got into a fight again," he shrugged slightly as if to say that that was the kind of thing that happened on a regular basis.

"Only this time… this time no one came down from mines afterwards," he swallowed and kept his eyes firmly on the ground. "Me and Grumhzush, took a few of our best hittaz up there to see what was going on, but uh… we couldn't find the entrance."

"Went looking once, went looking twice, went looking three times. No mine entrance. All gone. Lost the mines."
Old May 20, 2018, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Champion

Well now that was just confusing.

So, they probably came from down within the mines, then? Maybe it was the dwarves, then. Or... hm, what else crawled down there? Was it that big eyeball thing again? No, that thing was dead - maybe another one? Hrmmm.

In the end, did it really matter? It wasn't as if the Warlord's tactics really differed all that much between opponents. If it was there, it could be crushed! And the orc was good at crushing!

Wait, what was this about losing the mine entrance? Whatever, the Warlord didn't have these boyz so that they could do smart thinky things. That's what... well, that's not really what he was for, either, but he at least thought about things a little more often, sometimes. Whatever, he'd figure it out once he got there.

"Sod it, long as we getta scrap." That was pretty much it. Time to go and rouse the boyz! Off the Warlord stomped. "WAKE UP LADZ, ITS TIME FER FIGHTIN!" Time to assemble a nice little fight club to go and do some fighting. Probably. Still wasn't entirely sure what the heck was going on with those mines, but having a bunch of orcs with weapons down there probably wouldn't hurt.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fear the Reaper

The ladz woke up and were ready for fighting. It was a motley ensemble WAAAAAAAAGH found for his trip to the mines, but then orcs generally didn't go for the whole formal military troop thing.

They found the problem quickly enough. The path up to the mines was easy enough to find, but as the messenger had promised, finding the mine itself was quite difficult. See, every time they took the path they seemed to follow it towards the mine's opening and then after they'd wandered for a while the path would take them right back to where they had started.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Champion

wha

?

So they go this way, right? This way to the mines. Except they didn't go to the mines. Now they were back where they started. Aight. What if they went... this way? This other way to the mines?

What if they went this other way?
Old May 23, 2018, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fear the Reaper

Those Romans had been clever bastards, really. Several roads leading to the same place and all that. Unfortunately, the same thing seemed to happen, they seemed to be right on track to the mines and then after a while they were back where they started.

Only it seemed this time a few of the ladz were missing.

Maybe they found the mines?
Old May 24, 2018, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Champion

Well now the orc was just ticked off.

That meant it was time for shouting. What was this, exactly? Probably some sort of sneaky magic trick. Bah! Sneaky magicks! The Warlord was only okay with that when it was used for his advantage!

If there were senses being disrupted here, well, what could you do against that? Obviously, use even better senses. Shouty senses. Like if the Warlord shouted real loud and listened for the sound that came back to tell him where things were, which he sometimes did when he was underground and couldn't see so good. Or just to map out underground tunnels in general.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!" Also, shouting because he was ticked off, and it helped him feel better. But also the other thing.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fear the Reaper

Echolocation sure was a neat trick. But at this distance all he was picking up was that there sure was a path, that sure was a bush and some trees over there, and there was a hill leading up towards the mines. The actual mine entrance was too far away for him to actually sense. Unless he wanted to try again. With a little more oomph.

Although the necessary oomph to get a clear idea of where the mine was would probably mean deafening several of the boyz and whatever local wildlife was unfortunate enough to be close at hand.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Champion

Hm.

The Warlord would see about walking a bit closer and trying again. Step, step, shout! What was the range of whatever this trickery was, anyway? This was good to know, too.
Old May 31, 2018, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fear the Reaper

Step. Step. Shout.

Nothing.

Step. Step. Shout.

Nothing.

Step. Step. Shout.

The mine entrance was just over that hill over there. Couldn't quite reach it.

Step. Step. Shout.

Step. Step. Shout.

Step. Step. Shout.

Step. Step. Shout.

The mine entrance was just over that hill over there. Almost there.

Step. Step. Shout.

The mine entrance was just over that hill over there. Aaaaalmost there.

Step. Step. Shout.

The mine entrance was just over that hill over there. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalmost there.

Step. Step. Shout.

The mine entrance was just over that hill over there. So close right now to seeing the entrance.

Step. Step. Shout.

The mine entrance was just over that hill over there. Wait.

Step. Step. Shout.

The mine entrance was just over that hill over there. Wait wait hold on.

Step. Step. Shout.

The mine entrance was just over that hill over there. That wasn't the right hill. That was the path leading back towards the docks.
Old June 2, 2018, 01:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Champion

The Warlord learned a lot about where the mines weren't.

Hmmm.

Time to retrace his steps again. He kind of knew where it was supposed to have been. At some point he'd just stepped over the threshold because his shouts hadn't had a long enough range, right?

So, turn around and repeat. Iterate with longer range. Haha, these folks thought they were clever, huh? Don't mess with orcs, they'd brute force their way to a solution!
Old June 5, 2018, 11:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fear the Reaper

The first time he tried it he was a little too far away and the three boyz closest to him ended up on the ground clutching their ears. They'd probably be fine eventually. I mean, orcs don't really need hearing right?

Did he want to keep brute forcing it? It'd probably be fine, right. He could probably do this on his own after all.
Old June 8, 2018, 12:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Champion

Probably, yes.

Unless any of the other boyz have ideas on how to solve it? At some point he'd yell at them to see if they might.

If not, then they'd best stand back, because the Warlord was cranking up the volume.

No, further back.

Further.

Hearing was important, you used that to fight. Further back!
Old June 8, 2018, 12:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fear the Reaper

This whole thing of workshopping ideas was relatively new to the orc organisational structure. There hadn't even been a single workshop where they learned to make things together out of common orcs supplies. So this mostly resulted in the boyz looking awkwardly at each other until one raised his hand and timidly suggested "Moar dakka?" in the kind of voice that seemed to suggest he was checking to see if this was the correct answer.

They were more than happy to comply with WAAAAAAAGH's OSHA regulations though and stepped back a ways as he got back to using his occasional. This time though, as the sound bounced off the surrounding area and got back to him. What came back to him wasn't very detailed, the hill that was in the way meant that the sound had to bounce a couple of times to get back to him, but he could definitely see that the mine was still there. It seemed like there was also some people standing around the opening. The lack of clarity made it difficult to say just how many, it was definitely somewhere between one and lots though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: