Old February 6, 2008, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Hoskuld Coal-beard is a benevolent AdventurerHoskuld Coal-beard is a benevolent Adventurer
Hoskuld Coal-beard

[top]Hoskuld Coal-beard

Section 1: Executive Summary

Dwarf. Beard. Axe. Questions? No? Good. Let's go explore and kill stuff.

Section 2: Non-Executive...Non-Summary

Race

Dwarf

Best guess: 100 eras/patterns, yahren, whatever

Physical Description
4'1", 225. Alluring locks of auburn with highlights like the deepest shadows of night frame an enigmatic but mischeivous face with tormented, soulful eyes that nonetheless- O FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD!!

Scruffy brown hair running into whiskers and a beard that gradually get darker until they are nearly black. His eyes are hazel-colored and close-set, and his nose is ugly and narrow-bridged.

History
When Hoskuld was little, he was a stereotypically cantankerous dwarf. Now that he is still little, he is still a stereotypically cantankerous dwarf.

Combat Skills

+2xp axe

Arcana Skills

None

Trade Skills

Novice Mining (starter skill)

Lore

Professional Caving/Spelunking (as per starting package approved by Lichen)

"Starting package?! I'll show yer a starting package!"

*leers, grabs crotch vulgarly.*

Major Items/Equipment

No hovel. Hoskuld is hovelless, which might explain his dishoveled appearance
An imperial visa (identification document).
A dagger.
The clothes on his back (includes a change of clothes and a warm cloak he keeps in his satchel, meaning they're technically still on his back, so there).
A skin of water.
Enough food to last five brightenings.

Personal item?! I'll show yer a personal item!

*leers and grabs crotch vulgarly*

And no I wouldn't dream of selling it. What kind of a dwarf do you think I am?!

As mentioned in this post, it is an apparently non-descript grey rock about the size and shape of a finger, tied to a piece of string. His mother said it was going to help him in some way, but it was never disclosed how it was supposed to do that.

Titles/Positions/Jobs
Older players can list their titles and/or work experiences here. New players can consider themselves citizens.

I assume this means "older characters"?

oocBut older players applies to me, too

Miner in Chillings Mines from eras PF XIV-XIX.
Random Task Coordinator with Fire-Setter family of gem buyers in Arconis from PF XIX-XXIII.
Currently a Self-employed Random Task Consultant
The Fire-Setter family have arranged a small sinecure income for Hoskuld, which is the main source of his Sterling package
-apart from this, of course *leers and grabs crotch vulgarly*

Other

Haven't fleshed out this character much, but I've looked at other CIRs and character concepts from other RPGs for ideas and have come up with something of a composite:

Hoskuld was the Crown Prince of some obscure house for which the game has no room or allowance but which was nonetheless immensely powerful and filthy rich. His family disowned him for falling in love with a half-elven princess from a rival similarly obscure-but-nonetheless-immensely-powerful-and-wealthy house.

He and his love escaped, deciding to run away to the surface because they didn't want to be evil like the other vysstichi, but they were kidnapped by pirates and separated, and Hoskuld was hit on the head and lost his memory. The dwarf was able to escape, drawing ingeniously on all the skills he doesn't have yet. I have no logical explanation for how he pulled it off, but I guess that's OK since Hoskuld doesn't remember anyway.

Since then Hoskuld has been hearing voices in his head that tell him to do evil things. One of those things must have included getting in a barfight and killing somebody in Primus Gaudeo, else why else would he leave his nice 1000 Crown hovel to go caving around Acumin? Of course, he can't remember that, because he has amnesia.

Hoskuld likes mining, drinking ale, and going for long, quiet walks in subterranean caverns. He is looking for a sensitive, understanding, financially stable, height-weight-proportional SWF dwarf who enjoys the same. Failing that, he'll be happy to fight orcs and swear colorfully at other PCs.

That's still a very rough character concept, of course, and it will change once I've had some time to be creative. In the meantime, I'll just use the CIR to keep track of my Crowns and document my training.

Last edited by Hoskuld Coal-beard; June 30, 2018 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Updating usage.
Hoskuld Coal-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Hoskuld Coal-beard is a benevolent AdventurerHoskuld Coal-beard is a benevolent Adventurer
The *real* story of the film so far

Hoskuld grew up as a middle child in a large family, with plenty of older sibling to pick on him and at least one baby sibling for each ankle. His father Haargrim worked in the gem mines north of Primus Gaudeo. Hoskuld often visited those mines, generally runnning errands or carrying messages for his father and older brothers who worked there. His family regularly called on Hoskuld to run these errands after they discovered that he had a particularly keen sense of direction and the ability, even at an early age, to thread his way through the twisting mine passages without getting disoriented or discouraged.

"Yeah, I can find the General Store. I can find my way through tunnels, can't I? I can find *anything*!"

Unfortunately, Hoskuld does not have particularly good insight into the nature or limitations of his talents; he mistakes his keen sense of direction and distance for a generic ability to find practically anything. This frequently causes him to overestimate his abilities, especially in urban environment where knowing the details of the environment (such as, for example, that the street that appears to be the straightest route to one's destination actually dead-ends short of it) can be particularly important. This, combined with his naturally guyish reluctance to ask directions, earned him his childhood nickname: "Lostkuld".

It was generally assumed that Hoskuld would eventually work in the mines like his kinsfolk, so he received some training and experience in caving skills. Hoskuld, however, did not wish to follow in their footsteps, and as his family was too large and poor to pay for any sort of apprenticeship or professional education, the young dwarf decided to strike out on his own. At the first promising-sounding opportunity he left home, and even left Primus Gaudeo altogether, to seek adventure and his fortune exploring the caves around Acumin in search of passageways to a vysstichi city that had been plaguing the beleaguered village.

Last edited by Hoskuld Coal-beard; March 6, 2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old March 25, 2008, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Equipment and moola as of 1 Junctior:

Starting Wealth Tier: Sterling. Would you like to see my sterling package?

*leers and grabs crotch vulgarly*

Some gear scavenged from his days working in the Chillings Mines:

A utility belt good for attaching and carrying tools.
some rope
a miner's helmet
a rock hammer
a hand glass suitable for examining ore samples (Hoskuld's no mineralo- minerolo- er, rock guy, but he took it because he thought he'd be able to get something for it.) The lens is slightly scratched and the casing is busted, the assembly only held together by some twine.

From this thread:
A bag with some miscellaneous climbing accoutrements: slings, carabiners, gri-gris)
A metal canteen
A second dagger (with some light acid etching)

From this thread
A well-made warm coat (suitable for High Peak winters), winter boots, hat, and gloves.

Major purchases: 1 battle axe

Last edited by Hoskuld Coal-beard; February 10, 2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old February 8, 2018, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Special abilities
Apart from his unusual facility for maintaining his bearings underground, Hoskuld also has the following special abilities:

Leering and vulgar crotch-grabbing
These abilities are typically used together.

Deep meditation/contact with the Material Plane
Hoskuld is capable of entering a deep trancelike state during which he can come into contact with the material plane. This is accomplished by lying down (thus establishing contact with the Material Plane) and closing his eyes. He can maintain this state for several hours. Sometimes he snores.

Abilities involving his 'personal item'

Hoskuld's personal item is, as mentioned earlier, a strange rock about the size and shape of a finger, tied to a piece of string, which is looped into a groove near the rock's center of gravity. When allowed to hang freely, the rock is roughly balanced in a horizontal orientation.

Hoskuld's mother once told him that this rock possesses special abilities which might help him in his explorations and sojourns, but did not specify how. Through some experimentation, he has discovered some abilities that the personal item has.

Mystical Oscillation
Hoskuld can produce oscillations in the rock by swinging it back and forth on the string. This has the effect of mystifying people in the immediate vicinity as to what the dwarf is doing.

Fly
Hoskuld can cause the personal item to fly short distances by throwing it.

Elemental Resistance
The rock is highly resistant to cold, fire, water, and acid damage. The string from which it is suspended is less so, but is relatively easy to replace.

Last edited by Hoskuld Coal-beard; March 6, 2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old February 18, 2018, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

The IC exposition dump that never actually happened IC

oocA bit of exposition to fill in some gaping holes in Hoskuld's ic timeline

“So how did I manage to evade the Black Fog, and the destruction of High Peak ye ask? Why am I still alive when most of the folks working at Chillings are dead? Good fortune, more specifically a timely wedding” Hoskuld said this matter-of-factly, as if a question over which he had agonized for over five eras could be dispensed with so easily.

“It was early spring, Era Nineteen Pee-Eff I recall, and the passes to High Peak had just cleared enough that we could get regular mail from the rest of the Empire again. The first couriers of the season come in and hey look, there’s this fancy engraved invitation for ‘Mr. Hoskuld Coal-beard, c/o Chillings Mines’, complete with R.S.V.P. It seems my oldest brother Hoggy managed to get himself hitched to none other than Citrina Fire-Setter!”

Hoskuld paused when he perceived his audience didn’t get the import of that. “The Fire-Setters are loaded,” he explained, “which is something my family ain’t. In fact, Citrina’s uncle, Yurik Fire-Setter, was one of the biggest gem suppliers in Centripax outside of Zerdargia.

“Now Yurik likes to think of himself as a patriarch, maybe even a clan chieftain, and so when his favorite niece was to get married, he wanted to get as many members of both families to the wedding as possible, even far-flung ones like myself. And so I got the invitation.

“I didn’t think nothin’ of it. There was no way Edran Hartney-that's the operator of Chillings Mine- was going to grant me a prolonged leave of absence just for a wedding all the way in Primus Gaudeo. But I showed the invitation to my foreman, Yetik Stonehammer, just because I thought he’d get a kick out of how fancy it was.

“Well, Yetik takes one look at it and his eyes get real big and he says I should take this straight to Hartney. I did, still not expecting anything to come of it. But then Hartney looked at it and *his* eyes got real big, too, ‘cause it turns out the Fire-Setters were buying a goodly chunk of the Chillings’ amethysts.

“So the operator hands the invitation back to me and says that he certainly wasn’t going to disappoint one of his best clients by keeping an expected guest away from his niece’s wedding. He tells me not only am I free to go, I *am* to go, at earliest convenience, with the next carriage to Primus Gaudeo he could charter! And I should stay up to four cycles if I liked before coming back, again on a carriage chartered at company expense. And he wouldn’t even consider it leave of absence, because he reckoned my schmoozing with one of his biggest buyers counted as official business.

“Of course, Hartney was no sentimental guy, nor one to pass up an opportunity, so when I set out I was loaded up with various samples of colored quartzes they had recently found in the mines, especially some green ones Hartney thought the Fire-Setters might be interested in. They called them something odd: parsi-no-pra- something. And he made it quite clear that he’d be awful disappointed if I returned from Primus Gaudeo without a nice big order for those stones."

to be continued...

Last edited by Hoskuld Coal-beard; February 18, 2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old February 18, 2018, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Son of the IC exposition dump that never actually happened IC

“The journey went without a hitch, and I’m happy the whole way. I reckon maybe I pull off this sale, I could be in for a promotion or at least a bonus. The wedding was wonderful, too. All the family was well and happy to see me, and the new in-laws were no worse than one might hope for. And Yurik Fire-Setter? He was there and we met, sure enough. At first I had figured he might just forget me amidst the sea of introductions before during and after the festivities; I know *I* didn’t remember half the names of the Fire-Setters I met those next brightenings. But I guess you don’t get to be in Yurik’s position if you forget the faces, names, and key facts about the people you meet.

“Turns out I didn’t need to think of some sneaky, awkward way to approach him and bring up Chillings business, either, ‘cause he sought me right out and asked what I had. I guess Yurik knew just what to expect from Hartney; if anything I got the feeling he would’ve been disappointed if I *hadn’t* brought some sort of proposal from Chillings. He was especially interested in the stones that I showed him, and he told me to call on him before I left Primus Gaudeo, if he didn’t send for me first.

“A bit later my brother Hoggy told me he was pretty sure Yurik wanted to make me into some sort of on-site agent on his behalf at Chillings, which would’ve been quite a boost in status as well as income for me. The only thing is I’d have to learn a lot more about gems before I could do such a job properly. But that was alright; Chillings had a mining school on-site where I could learn whatever I needed. One note from Yurik to Hartney would’ve gotten me enrolled in whatever training I needed, no questions asked.

“Those couple cycles spent in Primus Gaudeo were happy, and I was feelin’ pretty good about myself and my prospects; I just needed to get that order in hand and it would be complete. So I was excited when I got a message to go see Yurik immediately. I go to his office and there’s him, a couple of other Fire-Setter seniors and Hoggy, all sittin’ there lookin’ grim. My heart sank; I figured he was going to tell me he’d decided not to place an order. Of course his news was a lot worse than that.

“I looked around the room and I saw everybody seemed stricken somehow, like they’d gotten some sort of shock. ’Please sit down,’ Yurik says, real quiet, and I do, dreading what I’m going to hear. I kept looking at Hoggy for some sort of sign or reassurance, but he was as grim as the rest.

“’I am afraid that you cannot go back to High Peak at this time,’ Yurik said. 'As a matter of fact, nobody can go there now.' Well, that was the last thing in the world I’d expected to hear him say, so my mouth just dropped open. There’s more, Yurik keeps talking: ‘By means I’m not entirely at liberty to discuss, we have received some highly alarming and puzzling advance news about events in Lauryl, events that have engulfed much of the countryside rather suddenly, including High Peak.’

’Whaddaya mean engulfed,’ I asked.

’We don’t know much ourselves,’ one of Yurik’s brothers says, who’s sittin’ next to him. ‘Details are sketchy, because soon after the first reports came in, we lost contact with our agents. Utterly. The reports we did get spoke of some sort of dark miasma that descended out of nowhere. People are dying en masse. Entire districts are being evacuated hastily. There is talk of panic, confusion, death. While we cannot be certain, we believe it is connected to the Xet somehow.’

“Finally my brother speaks up and says: ‘This is big, Hoskuld, and it’s really bad, whatever it is. And what it means is you need to stay here awhile. You can’t go back to High Peak. It’s not safe.’

“Well, I’m sitting there all flabbergasted. Disappointed, scared, confused, relieved that it’s not exactly what I’d been afraid of, all of the above. But I didn’t have time to sort through all that before Yurik called the meeting to an end. ‘Know this, Hoskuld,’ he says: ‘I consider you my kinsman now, and I value your talents. Whatever happens with High Peak and Chillings, I intend to see to your safety. And your livelihood.’ And then with all that in my head I had to leave and go back to the family home."

to be continued...

Last edited by Hoskuld Coal-beard; February 18, 2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 18, 2018, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Revenge of the IC exposition dump that never actually happened IC

Hoskuld took a breath and a swig of water before continuing. Telling this story was both tiring and thirsty work, not to mention emotionally uncomfortable. It took an act of will to continue, especially the part that came next.

”It took a few brightenings before anything else happened to suggest things were as bad as Yurik had told me. But the signs eventually came. First you got rumors of legions being hastily mustered and marched by darkening out of their barracks. Leaves being canceled. Fortresses suddenly shut off from the surrounding countryside. Smiths having their orders suddenly pre-empted and their labors diverted to military rather than personal weapons and armors. Diplomats and councilors called into secret meetings.

“Eventually what explicit news there was about the Black Fog and the Xet reached the general public. Haargrim came home with stories of frantic co-workers who had relatives in Lauryl. Some friends of the family even came by and tried to pump me for news about kin they had there, in Chillings and High Peak. Had they been alright and so on. They’d even ask me about places like Riparia, just hoping I could tell them something.”

The dwarf lowered his head and rubbed his temples for a moment. ”I had to keep telling them,” he resumed, his hands now leaving his head in frustrated chopping motions, ”I didn’t have news for them. I knew what they knew, no more. Yes, I’d seen this one or that one before I left, and they were fine then, but what good was that? It wasn’t the news that they needed. And they just kept comin’ by and askin’ even after I told them I didn’t know.”

Hoskuld sighed and dropped his hands, then sat up to continue in a calmer tone again. ”Eventually there were other sources of bad news to pester as things got worse. The first refugees started showing up, their stories more detailed, but still scary and confusing. Then more refugees. Then news about even more places engulfed by the fog or attacked by the Xet -at least by then we knew for sure it was the Xet attacking. And nothing from High Peak at all.

“Yurik Fire-Setter, incredibly, did indeed manage to find something for me. He needed somebody to go down and help his folks in Arconis, once it became viable to travel there. I was thinkin’ maybe I could learn gemology down there, like I was going to in High Peak, and be his agent. But that plan was changed by events, too. There were refugee camps in Maeve, and some of them were miners from other parts of the empire. They were bound to approach Arconis at some point, clamoring for new work and a new home.

“So instead of being some agent for a gem-buyer, I ended up being diverted into whatever job was needed. Registering refugees, trying to find work for them. Planning the re-opening of disused mines. Reconnoitering those mines to make sure they were still usable, or determine what needed to be done to make them usable.

“I took advantage of my access to the refugee lists, when I had it, to look for anybody I knew from Chillings, any who had survived. I found a few, but only a few. Too few.”
Hoskuld lowered and shook his head slowly, and heaved a heavy breath. A moment later he looked up sharply.

”Prasiolite” he announced. ”That’s what that green quartz was called. Prasiolite.” He waved his hand dismissively at the random memory.

”At any rate that’s how I ended up in Arconis. But I didn’t stay more than a few eras, and I never did learn about gems, as Yurik Fire-setter had planned. The Xet invasion had changed too many things. They arranged some sort of sinecure for me, gave me a little income so I wouldn't starve.

"But eventually I had to move on. And so I did. After the war I went back to Lauryl briefly to see if there was anything to salvage there. There wasn’t. So then I started just wandering about a bit. Until I ended up here.”

oocThis is all still a bit rough, and subject to some editing, but that's the jist.

Last edited by Hoskuld Coal-beard; February 26, 2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old July 19, 2018, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Shields are Yummy

Placeholder post.

Last edited by Hoskuld Coal-beard; July 19, 2018 at 09:22 PM.