Old November 1, 2017, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Maeglin Elslaain is unknown and forgotten
Maeglin El’slaain Amandillain

Brief outline for Maeglin El’slaain Amandillain

Race: Medonian Elf
Wealth: Currently Sterling, but.. hey… It’s just a matter of time.
Physical Description: Maeglin is of average high for a Medonian male elf. At first glance, or from a distance, he appears as unremarkable, but up close his appearance is distinctly elvish with typical sharp features including his prominent ears, sharp facial features, lithe, fluid grace and a slightly ethereal presence. Of importance to those who meet him directly, Maeglin has a distinct facial scar on his right cheek like a red jagged slash of skin was torn from his otherwise pristine countenance. With deeper investigation, an observant passerby may notice a slightly distant and haunted expression within the depths of his eyes and the slightest tension in the set of his jaw and the cast of his gaze. Maeglin typically wears soft browns and greens reflecting his recent time living displaced from his family's home within the Forest of Dreams in the far western reaches of Centripax Province.
Personality: Given recent events in Aelyrian history which have altered Maeglin’s childhood fancies of a strong, united empire friendly to elven folk, he has withdrawn into himself, spending long periods of time lost in his thoughts.
Alignment: Previously chaotic good… now chaotic neutral.
Background: Recently Maeglin has travelled around the Dolwoods to make his way toward his ultimate destination of Arconis, but his family is from a small secluded wood within the Forest of Dreams. Maeglin’s family was scattered with the encroaching Fog unleashed by the Xet Alliance and Maeglin lost contact with his family.

Last edited by Maeglin Elslaain; November 15, 2017 at 08:56 PM.
Maeglin Elslaain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2017, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Citizen

Last edited by Maeglin Elslaain; November 15, 2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old November 1, 2017, 09:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Citizen

Training and Experience

Starter Skill: Basic Polearm; Glaive 2xp

Training Threads:

Experience Threads:

Last edited by Maeglin Elslaain; November 4, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old November 4, 2017, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Citizen

Possessions and Equipment

In travel sack...: Aelyrian Visa for Maeglin El’slaain Amandillain, A hastily drawn sketch of the city of Arconis (out of date with changes to Arconis from Siege of Giants) with directions to a one room hovel, A letter of introduction (sealed from prying eyes) for acceptance to a starting job in Arconis, spare clothing, odds and ends accumulated from a long journey through the countryside (family heirloom)

On hand...: Starting weapon - Glaive... Made from sturdy, thick shaft of wood approximately 2 meters long rounded in the front and shaved flat in the back for ease of handling with a metal bronze capped end and a sharp curved iron blade across the top 20 centimeters of the shaft with an additional 20 centimeters beyond end of shaft that curves from the shaft’s front to shaved flat back. The iron blade, while sharp, appears to be worn. A single bronze metal clamp secures the blade to the shaft.

Last edited by Maeglin Elslaain; November 10, 2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old November 4, 2017, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Citizen

Adventures

Fluid Time Log

Early Brightening of Solaria, 2nd cycle of Ulyris Era XXIV PF

[Countryside] Adventuring toward Arconis

Last edited by Maeglin Elslaain; November 15, 2017 at 09:00 PM.
Old November 10, 2017, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Citizen

Extended Personality and History

Maeglin El'slaain Amandillain was born within the prosperity of the late reign of Empress Alyssa Chrysinaria, but his childhood saw strife within the empire as the 200 hundred eras of peace in the Pax Alyssana ended. As a child, Maeglin grew up aware of the chaos of the succession and the First Xetan Invasion, but political waves were not as pressing as the development of his relationships within his family and close kin. The eldest of his family and born to fulfill expectations which did not appeal to his natural inclination toward solitude, Maeglin grew to resent to pressures placed upon him as he aged.

Maeglin’s personality is considered by his family to be dour and self-possessed. During his earliest years, Maeglin was showered with love from his parents who considered him a blessing upon their family in increasingly difficult times. Maeglin grew up loved by his family, but he struggled to return that same affection to his parents, though he felt protective of his younger siblings. Maeglin grew up the oldest of four siblings, two sisters and a younger brother. Maeglin is over 60 ordinations older than his closest sister and though he helped raise each of his younger siblings, he has always felt burdened by them.

Though over 128 ordinations, Maeglin is still within his early adulthood which began with the end of the tumultuous reign of Emperor Valerian Constantius. Maeglin’s foundational personality traits developed within these unsettled eras. The reign of High Elf Empress Alyssa Chrysinaria had ushered in a peace for all races, but more importantly the restoration of hope for the elves to become citizens and political players within the Empire. Maeglin’s family were scholars, mages and up and coming merchants. Hopeful to move toward the center of power, Maeglin’s family uprooted itself from the primary Elven province of Sylrosia to move closer to the center of the Empire.

Maeglin’s family had transplanted to New Coldmoon with the defeat of the Dark Alliance. Maeglin’s father became a leader among the settlers, helping trade to establish within the budding community and beginning a small shipping business to move trade through New Coldmoon. Maeglin attended schola, but trained in numbers and management with the clerks of his father’s business. Maeglin’s late adolescence was filled with attempts to shepherd his pestering brother and nagging sisters to their own lessons, leaving him little time to his own thoughts. Maeglin was responsible for his siblings when his parents made trips through the Dolwoods to the growing town of Acumin. Maeglin chafed at his perceived confinement and increasingly resented his parent’s trips.

With the arrival of the Feeble Pox in the Centripax Province, Maeglin’s parents could not pursue their mercantile interests and Maeglin finally was able to leave the stifling confines of his increasingly religious family. Maeglin began to explore the wilderness beyond New Coldmoon, hoping for more time with his thoughts. Preoccupied with his restlessness, Maeglin did not deign to notice the development of the pox within his younger brother. Maeglin’s parents sought help and uprooted the family, once more. Journeying south, Maeglin’s family soon encountered refugees fleeing the Second Xetan Invasion in Medonian. Forced to flee with the flow of refugees, Maeglin’s family followed the River Anna and skirted the Great Basin. These brightenings were hard on the family, but Maeglin bore them with stoic silence. The sickness and need of his brother had helped to highlight his earlier failings while trying to selfishly avoid his responsibilities to his family. During the journey, Maeglin stayed by his brither’s side and tried to ease his suffering.

The family made their way to the Forest of Dreams along the Western edge of the Centripax Province. From there, Maeglin’s parents hoped to travel north to their homelands within the Sylrosia. Maeglin’s family was caught by the encroaching Black Fog which engulfed much of the lands to the west. Maeglin’s parents wished to continue north, but with strange stories of citizens disappearing in the Fog, they felt that moving the family north was too great a risk. His parents made a home for themselves within the Forest of Dreams; watching and waiting as the Feeble Pox slowly killed their youngest son. Maeglin watched in increasing pain and inner turmoil as his brother wasted away while he was powerless to help. His parents and sisters’ grew closer because of their shared grief, but Maeglin further isolated himself and dwelled within his own inner thoughts.

Last edited by Maeglin Elslaain; November 15, 2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old November 15, 2017, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Citizen

Personal Posting Philosophy...

Components of a post

As a preface I will start with this qualification: All these judgments are subjective and dependant solely on my philosophy of moderation role playing. These don’t represent the thoughts of other[s] moderators, but my own. My judgments of your posts are not meant to be hurtful or offensive, but rather critical (assessing your posts in comparison to the rubric below). However, I, with the support of a plethora of experience in Aelyria and other moderators and players who have commented on it, [hopefully still] believe that I am a good role-player. Since this is how I understand role-playing I hope it helps you all as well.

My rubric for understanding posts.

Posts consist of a combination of these factors with content specific to a character history/personality and the surrounding environment determined by the moderator of the thread.

Factors available to players:

Action: The easiest and most straightforward of these factors. A player attempts an action. An Action is anything ranging from trying to slice his sword across the chest of an opponent or drinking some ale. Actions are divided into two categories, the first are actions that do not directly benefit the PC or are mundane activities and the second are actions which benefit the PC or otherwise alter the course of his/her adventure: actions of possibility. For the most part, actions of the first kind can be done and assumed successful, though I will be more critical than most moderators in regard to these and bunnying. The second type can in no case [should not] be assumed and must always be attempted and then moderated.

Speech: Another easy factor, speech is different from an action because it can [should] not be controlled by a moderator. Except for the rules on general conduct and realism, a PC can say anything s/he wants to in any particular situation. Speech is important for establishing both dialogue in the thread and for developing the personality of both the PC’s and the NPC’s involved. While no PC is obligated to speak, the problem with not speaking is that without this factor, PC to PC or PC to NPC reactions are limited to body expressions which require more interpretation.

Thought: Another easy factor, though often neglected by players and moderators. Thought is identical to speech in that it cannot be controlled by a moderator and it is even more flexible than speech because there are opportunities were a PC cannot speak or does not wish to, but can still think. Thought is important for the exact opposite reason of speech’s importance, it is important because it avoids or transcends dialogue. A PC who does not speak or speaks very little must think more. Thinking, like speaking, also helps to develop the personality of both PC’s and NPC’s involved. Thinking, however, is something that lets players know a PC’s thoughts, emotions, feelings, opinions, etc… but does not allow other PC’s to know. This is one of two instances where the OOC/IC distinction is most important to maintain.

Memories: A factor within thoughts; memories are thoughts that remind a PC of his/her past experiences. Memories are like thoughts but they specifically focus on a PC’s past, whether it’s their past before the PC arrived in Aelyria (before s/he posted) or within Aelyria. Consequences to significant past actions help to shape the personality of a PC and even minor past actions/situations etc… can affect a PC’s motivations. While it is not important for every post to contain a memory the addition of a memory can provide other players with an insight into the development and motivations of a PC.

Emotion: Another factor within thoughts, emotion is one of the more difficult to define. So I pulled on from the American Heritage Dictionary, “A mental state that arises spontaneously rather than through conscious effort and is often accompanied by physiological changes.” This means that an emotion is an instinctive reaction to the situation that a PC finds him/herself in. Though emotions are instinctive, this does not mean that they are beyond the control of players (at least in Aelyria). Emotions like Speech and Thought are also things that cannot be controlled by a moderator. It is important to note that while thoughts and speech do not always need an immediate preceding situation to explain it, emotions do. If a PC experiences an emotion it is because of the environmental situation around him/her. Emotions, like Speech and Thought and Memories, can also help to develop a PC’s personality.

Motivation: Another factor of thought, motivation is a desire, a need, or something else that moves a PC to act. Motivations, like other thoughts, cannot be controlled by a moderator, but help to develop a PC’s personality. Motivations help to provide other players and moderators with an explanation of a PC’s actions. A PC without motivations is impossible to moderate and difficult to play with in general.

Personality: The most important factor to include within a post. A PC without a personality or one with little personality is not fun to play with and is almost always boring. A Personality is not a rigid aspect of a PC that always stays with him/her, but like any person’s personality is something that changes as the PC encounters different situations. The personality of a PC is a combination of all the preceding factors and the personality of a PC can be seen in any of them. A PC’s personality often motivates an action, but often an action can change a PC’s personality.

Reaction: A reaction is response to a situation or environment. Every post should have a reaction. Moderators provide each thread with an environment and as each player posts more of the situation develops, but a post without a reaction indicates that the player has hardly taken into consideration the posts before his/hers. Reactions also help to develop a PC’s personality because reactions reveal something of how a PC interacts with his/her situation. Reactions can be thoughts, actions, speech, or even some combination of the three. Reactions are an easy way to start a post, but certainly not the only way to start one.

Innovation: A different factor from the others, innovation is a thought, action, or speech, that somehow moves out of the bounds of the current situation. Innovation as a concept is hard to define because it varies from context to context, but the common link between every innovation is that it is somehow improves the current situation by moving beyond the limits, constraints of a situation. The best method for explaining innovation is citing examples. There has only been one, in my humble opinion, in this Quest. It is Ander Rane’s decision to attack Brongon. Though Ander’s actions were entirely consistent with his personality and motivation, in his actions, Ander transcends an unspoken “tendency” of players gathering to instantly put aside personal differences and concentrate on the common goal. Ander Rane took a risk, attacking Brongon in the middle of a gathering which could have instantly turned upon him and he acted outside the “limits” of the tendency.

Detail: A factor, similar to Innovation, detail is the use of descriptive language to enhance an action, thought, or speech. For my moderating philosophy, adding details is as important as developing a PC’s personality. Since we, as a role-playing game, have to rely on the writings of others, it is essential that details are added to post. Adding details can be difficult, because players can’t generate their own environment, but it is not impossible and efforts directed toward details are always rewarded. Details don’t have to be exhaustive, if they were then it would take away from the imagination of those reading the thread, but without details a reader can have difficulty identifying with the characters in the thread.

These factors are all available to players and everything except innovation is available to moderators. The first eight are all easily included in a post and I consider a post with 5-8 of them a good post. The last two, however, distinguish a good role-player from an excellent role-player. These, however, are not the only factors that can be found within a post. There are two moderator-only factors.

Result: A result is a consequence or effect of an action. Since players can only attempt actions that have a significant impact upon them, moderators must [should] determine the results of each attempt. The result of any action, as determined by me and my moderating philosophy, is [should] always [be] determined by a few separate parts, most of which are IC and one of which is OOC.

The first is the realism that surrounds an action. Actions in Aelyria, just as in real life, have consequences that follow from the action. The second is the capabilities of the PC. If a PC tries to do something that is within his/her abilities than the likely hood of the action being successful is more than if s/he was trying something outside of his/her abilities. The third is the current environmental situation around the PC. Though not a part often in determining actions, a PC trying to run in the rain will have a more difficult time than if he were running on a clear day. The final factor is OOC and it is the one exception to the IC/OOC distinction. To reward good and great role-players, a moderator will evaluate the role-playing of the player and reward him/her for their effort. I do not punish bad role-playing, though I do punish those who bunny and break the rules.

How I [hope to be] reward[ed]: I tend [hope] to [be] reward[ed for] good and great role-playing by giving that PC [having] more options and choices than I do other PC’s and though I don’t liberally give out material possessions, I will give them out in this adventure.

Environment: An environment is the combination of a circumstances, situations, and physical environment that contribute to the atmosphere of the thread both IC and OOC. Since moderators determine the environment in which the PC interact. I will do my best to provide the IC and OOC environment with an interesting and dynamic atmosphere, but the environment is not solely due to the moderator. The OOC environment is especially influenced by the players and I am pleased that it has been an amicable one. I will do my best to keep it fast paced, but I favor depth over speed, so do not expect an easy resolution to any of the problems I might introduce [encounter].