Go Back   Aelyria > Community > Characters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2014, 06:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Notable

Wealth Tier: Steel
Blacken is a malevolent Minion
Blacken

Hi, all

So, how does this thread work?
  1. All character-relevant info that I use for actual play, you'll find in this, first, post.
  2. All fluent info, thoughts, notes, etc. come below, and you may happily disregard them.
  3. If you have any ideas, comments, whatever, on the character, feel free to post them below, as well!

Happy gaming,

Rafe

Blacken, Knight of Kemit and Sapienshire

Name: Blacken
Profession: Rogue Knight
Race (Nationality): Human/Outlander/Kemite
Current location: Arium Highlands.

Physical Description:
A young man with cold eyes.
Long scars on his arms, and in his face.
And a smile, sometimes, like that of a fox.

Personality:
Blacken is well-read, for a boy of his age and standing. He is not opposed to violence in general, but vastly prefers to outsmart his foes, than to stab them in the heart. Like every true thief, he has developed a twisted code of honor - he doesn't steal from those he considers weak, meek, or in need. ...As long as they don't cross him, that is.

So far, he has been successful at what he does, and this brings a certain cockiness to his character. At his heart, he is just a young man from a broken home, though, who longs for a true purpose. His knighthood, as granted by Duke Alexis, has certainly helped to stabilize his otherwise very volatile - youthful! - character. ...And while this new sense of maturity is surely to be welcomed, nothing about him is yet set in stone. Will he become a gentleman, or will he end at the gallows? Only time will tell.

In XXIV, Blacken mainly seeks new ways to prove himself, after years of living a very solitary life in the borderlands. His teenage angst has turned into a young man's testosterone-filled ambition: Blacken wants to leave his mark on the world!

What I imagine Blacken would look like:

Character Stats & Inventory

Training:

Experience Earned:

For the sources of these, please see below, in the posts following this one.
  • Lore: Stealth
  • Lore: Medonia Woods
  • Lore: Hiding behind Things
  • Lore: Local Flora and Fauna in the Refuge of Medonia
  • Lore: Starkville
  • Lore: “The Iron Gentleman Inn & Tavern”
  • Lore: “Mr. and Mrs. Stark”
  • Lore: The Cavaliers
  • Lore: Slavers
  • Lore: The Coven
  • Lore: Merchant Knights
  • Lore: Vale Township
  • Lore: The Demon Butler’s Promise
  • Lore: Castellian Keep
  • Lore: Ilyctopus
  • Lore: Rock Combat

Wealth:
Steel, as of XXIV.

Initially (Winter and Spring XXI), Blacken is totally broke, and beggar-level poor, which is often the base for his more humorous adventures.
After Blacken is knighted by Alexis (~ Summer XXI), he gains some more steady ways of financial revenue.

After Winter XXII, when Blacken presumably spends months robbing the ruins of Paxia and Mileswick, he might even be considered "rich",
but only in the sense that he has a secret stash hidden somewhere in the Ariumite Highlands. In XXIV, I am assuming that he has taken up measures to increase, or rather, to stabilize that level of wealth.

In any case, Blacken will always have enough cash to pay his daily expenses, but probably not enough to invest in things that are really expensive. Thief that he is, the very logic of his character suggests that he would probably simply take those, anyway - and make a game of it.

Major Possessions:
  • 1 Baselard. (Primary Weapon.)
  • 1 Sleeping Bag.
  • 3 Set of Plain Black Clothes of a Southern cut.
  • 1 Long Hooded Cloak, with the unified sigils of the Khemitian Thieves Guild (a unicorn) and of House Sapientia.
  • 1 Visa, granted by Duke Alexis.
  • 1 Iron Baton of two feet length, in a leather sheath - also of black color.
  • 1 small sleeve knife (left sleeve).
  • 1 Black Chainmail Armor.
  • 1 Xiphos blade, his primary weapon for field battle.
  • 1 Round shield of of black color.
  • 1 Padded woolen surcoat, and 1 padded woolen vest to wear under and over the chainmal in winter; also black.

Magic Items:
  • Cursed Twisted Dagger - Blacken’s broken weapon has been afflicted with demon’s blood combined with the Butler’s foul magicks. It will permanently emit a strange cold. These properties may be useful to a spellbreaker and a skilled smith to forge a new unique weapon. (From Castellan Keep.)
  • 1 "Black Crystal". (From the merchant in destroyed Paxia; Blacken does not know what this item can do, yet.)

Notable Companions:
  • 1 very amazing horse, a stallion with the name Babieca, commonly referred to as "Horse".

Background:

Orphaned as a toddler, Blacken was adopted by old man Lone, a burglar, and taught all the arts of stealing. After the death of his foster father, in which he may or may not have been directly involved, Blacken left his homeland far to the South, and traveled northwards, in search of adventure - and new business opportunities.

Blacken's birthday is in winter. I assume it's around the same time he originally arrived in Imperia, back in XXI.

Concept:

Blacken was initially direcly based on "Hanse Shadowspawn", the famous character from Asprin's and Abbey's "Thieves' World" universe. Now that the character has taken a considerably more chivalric route, I am mainly modeling him after Raymond Feist's "Jimmy the Hand", of Midkemian fame.

That all said, Blacken is darker than both those characters: To say it with Hemingway, he still has not found anything beautiful and worth defending in this world - of Aelyria. I think whatever will become of him next will mainly depend on whether he does.

Fluid Time Log

Winter XX/XXI:

Blacken arrives in Imperia, flat out broke. He spends some time in the city, famous to him through tales he has heard as a child, but grows frustrated with the disorder and despair he encounters. His contacts in the city missing or fled during an earlier incursion, Blacken finds himself stranded in Imperia, and aimlessly wanders the area for many weeks.

Spring XXI:

First adventures in Imperia.

Blacken eventually finds a cheap passage on a ship, and leaves Imperia for Newhaven - Nova Sancta.
There, he gets involved with the hunt of a creature from the depths of the dark sea...

Friendship with Lyr Tlanson.

Rivalry, and duel, with Barthelme.

Acquaintance with Parreyon, Daedalus, Absidia, and Ylva.

Blacken supposedly gets beaten up badly by a rightfully angered Draken (Garim) for trying to steal the man's purse - using what he thinks is an invisibility device... And what is clearly no such thing.

Summer XXI:

Blacken eventually leaves Newhaven, realizing that eh needs to improve his skills to find success at what he does.

Blacken in the White Forest: Acquaintance with Prince Alexis Sapientia.

Blacken made a Squire to the Duke of Sapientia!

Autumn XXI:

Return to Newhaven, in search of Lyr and Absidia.

Encounter with Lua Gil'dae.

Some time afterwards, Blacken presumably travels to Paxia, in order to gain a ship to Aelyria Prime, but presumably gets lost on the way, probably exploring the ruins of Mileswick.Some time in between, Blacken gets recruited by Imperial forces, and reunites with Lyr on the way to Paxia. Together with Diamea, they explore the ruins of the city the Xet destroyed, but do not venture further into the city after they have collected some loot.

Winter XXI/Spring XXII:

(Always supposing that he survives the battle with the Xet...) Blacken leaves Paxia, and his friend Lyr, after spending some more time collecting loot from the fallen city. He presumably hides most of it somewhere in the countryside (depending on how much freedom the GMs allow me, either in the ruins of Mileswick, or some cave in the forest). The rest, he will sell, to whomever can grant him a solid price, caring first for the money in his pocket, and only second for the real value of the items he gives away.

Blacken will spend the hardest parts of winter at his new hideout, and likely use his time for studying and training, living off supplies he has bought through the profit from his loot. Once the snow and ice finally melt, Blacken will seal his lair, and head out towards the big cities... Again, to travel the world in search of adventure!

Spring XXII:

Restored, and replenished, Blacken departs his secret hideout in Paxia, and makes for the East. Following rumors about the banishment of Duke Alexis from the court in Prime, he visits the duke's private estate, but presumably does not find his former master there. Unwilling to give up the search for his friend just yet, Blacken travels to Paxia, where he spends one wild night drinking at the Crown Inn, and afterwards, to Enamoria, again following rumors that the prince is there.

He joins an expedition to Castellan Keep, teaming up with some of his drinking companions from the Crown Inn, once again.

Summer XXII until Spring XXIV:

After the expedition to Castellan Keep, and likely learning about Alexis' fall from grace, Blacken returns to Arium, and withdraws from the public for a while. Presumably, he finds a large cavern complex near Mileswick, and takes it as his home. For almost two years, he lives as a farmer, and a fisherman, and enjoys the peace of this newfound life.

But as the young man's wounds - and his soul - begin to heal, he decides to give a less ordinary life another chance. He seals his "cave of secrets", and makes for the East again, in search of Alexis.

Spring XXIV:

Blacken returns to the Arium Highlands, to follow Alexis' tracks. He meets and befriends Daffyd and Maximus, to fellow cutthroat adventurers. After being attacked by a face-hugging species of land-dwelling squid, they decide to travel Estelgorod, to show the cadaver of the strange beast to someone more knowledgeable.

Summer XXIV:

Blacken travels to Sapienshire in Northumbria, and reunites with his old liege, Alexis. He renews his oath of loyalty to the disgraced lord. It is presumably during this time that he drops his (self-given?) thief name, "Shadowhand".

Currently Running - Winter XXIV/SpringXXV:

Blacken leaves Northumbria for Prime, and joins Maahes' mining expedition. Afterwards, he decides to winter in Candace's Respite.

Possible future aventures - XXV:

Later in the year, Blacken might consider traveling to Vesta - as, while Blacken does not believe in any higher powers, he might think that it's a good idea to get baptized under the Aelyrian faith to further his career. Also, I think Blacken might be thinking about finding himself a wife - and so, it might seem attractive to him to formally abdicate his pagan ways...

The Tentpoles

Regardless of whatever adventure or social interaction I entertain, I want to build the pillars for an even remotely coherent narrative - with "tentpole threads", around which Backen story will partly evolve. By that I mean that I regard all sorts of side stories and fluff threads concerning the character as essentially optional, but the info given in the "tentpole threads" as binding when I have him advance beyond those threads. - So, say, I might ignore Blacken's and Lu'a's meeting in XXII for most narrative purposes, but not, say Blacken's meeting with Absidia. (My rationale is that, otherwise, many open-ended threads would leave the character all over the place, and his progress difficult to remember when I return at a later time. --- As I recently did, after a break from the game that lasted roughly 20 months.)

Big Trouble in Little Zinn'Sunn [Open/Mod Please.]

My first effort at a personalized thread; Blacken gets drunk with a pirate and lays with a lady of questionable motivation. Good times!

"I hate humanity!" - A Tale from the White Forest [Open]

On his way to Solace Isle, Blacken meets Prince Alexis, and promptly banks a royal pardon for his past digressions from the law... The start of a promising friendship?

[North Harbour's End] The Calm ("Team Zero"/Open)

Blacken briefly returns to Newhaven, after his encounter with Alexis. He is looking for his friends and companions - supposedly, to boast about his newfound rank and status - but finds none of them.

What The Bullseye Missed (Blacken, Diamea, Lyr, Fenystra)

Blacken's first expedition into fallen Paxia, together with his old friend, Lyr.

All roads lead to Castellian Keep

Blacken's Enamorian adventure.

[Arium Highlands] Hermits & Hoodlums

Blacken returns to the Arium Highlands after a few years in exile, and befriends Daffyd and Maximus.

[Khardran Mountains] Heavy Metal mining - Its a head banger! [Invite Only]

Seeking to learn about the magic powers of two items he retrieved from the ruins of Paxia, Blacken travels to a mining colony in the Khardran Mountains... (Currently in play, as of 2017-09-29.)

[Candace's Respite] A Room with a View

Blacken winters in the scenic village of Candace's Respite...

Accolades & Titles

R I

Blacken of Kemit has received an Imperial Pardon, with Clemency for all crimes committed against the Empire and the people prior to this date.

Blacken of Kemit has been made a Squire of the The Duke Sapientia and House Osteyricjh. He is now allied to them and their feudatories such as House Gil'dae of Natura. He is now allied to Clan Vampyler-Sapientia of House Anulindrael of the Combine.

Blacken of Kemit will soon realize that esteem for his liege is not universal, and that there are some places where pride in this relationship may merit him trouble, if he's lucky, and death, if he's not.

Last edited by Blacken; December 5, 2017 at 08:46 AM.
Blacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014, 06:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Notable

More or less how I picture the character,
at the time when he enters the grand stage that is Aelyria...

Last edited by Blacken; February 20, 2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old March 12, 2014, 02:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Notable

I don't mean to overstress the stepfather story arc.

"Lone" is merely a reference to a certain Thieves' World character.
Maybe it's really the same Lone, and the lands of Thieves' World really exist inside the Aelyria universe.

Or, maybe not.
Old March 16, 2014, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Notable

Added my first gear. For the character's backstory, it's important he's perpetually broke.

The other items, I don't particularly care about - I changed them a bit, though, to fit in with the fluff.
Old April 4, 2014, 01:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Notable

I have established that Blacken has a cousin named Tomen, "Tommy", whom he refers to as jealous and unfriendly; probably some sort of schoolyard bully he dislikes.

No inspiration for that, except that I fondly remember Stephen Colbert yelling: "I GOT A PEABODY! TAKE THAT, JON STEWART!"
Old April 4, 2014, 02:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Notable

Retconned the character's race, based on:

http://www.aelyria.com/forums/backgr...kens-tale.html

Let's see where this journey takes me...
Old April 22, 2014, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Notable

My first thread!

Let's see where this goes...
Old May 23, 2014, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Notable

I have added to items to Blacken's list of possession:

Quote:
1 Wooden baton of two feet length, in a leather sheath
1 small sleeve knife (left sleeve)
Both items are relatively inexpensive to make, and had somehow slipped into earlier descriptions of the character already; it's really just that I try to keep the record straight.

(In case anyone objects, well, I forfeited all my starting money, so I would Blacken gritty from the beginning. Please, now, let me have my nail file, and my club!)

Since I am not sure how timestamps are made when no particular date is given, I am going to assume that Blacken has acquired these items, one way, or another, by the time these two adventures take place:

Live Like We're Still Alive [Blacken|Parr|Tylag]

In all the events started before those most recent ones, I play Blacken without those two items.

***Hope that's okay, so far.***
Old May 23, 2014, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wow. So mod. Much nice.

Krait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious SuperheroKrait is a glorious Superhero

If it fits the story, and is not much of a big impact on the game world or on other players (aka mundane), why not?

Mods are not going to audit your character over little things like this. Now, if its something more significant like a magic dagger or a potion of invisibility etc. you would need to acquire it through roleplayed means of course, as to avoid players giving themselves advantages willy-nilly (cheating or god-modding) which is an abuse of the "honor system" and simply ruins the game for everyone.
The Krait giveth, and the Krait taketh away - ur lootz & limbz 3:16
Back in the Office!

Krait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Notable

Thanks for the clarification. It's exactly the availability of mundane items that I was not sure about, and before I do something wrong, I'd rather ask...

This is also important because I plan to send Blacken for a trip into the wilds, and I assume that he would at least get some food & gear beforehand.
Old June 6, 2014, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Notable

Updated the timelog a bit; starting to feel out a roadmap for the character, which I think is a good thing.
Old June 23, 2014, 01:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Notable

Updated! Now with tentpole section!
Old June 23, 2014, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Notable

The new tentpole thread: "I hate humanity!" - A Tale from the White Forest [Open]

You're welcome!
Old June 30, 2014, 06:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Notable

Wow wow wow, Blacken is an Imperial squire, now!
Old September 5, 2014, 05:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Notable

In case anyone should wonder, I am purposefully not sending Blacken on any adventure but on the final confrontation with the Xet. I am a bit short on time, these days, and, more than anything, for the character, this might be a crucial event, given his background.