Old October 18, 2009, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mythic

Wealth Tier: Sterling
S'Lon is a benevolent AdventurerS'Lon is a benevolent Adventurer

Catching up (Onios)

Temperis 15, Autumn, Era XVI

There were many reasons why the ranger had made time to come all the way across from the forest which was the home of his family and thus now his too. Time taken out which put that family at risk of attack and loss, but still, there were other loyalties which tugged at the rangers heartstrings.

In truth there were many passing acquaintances whom he'd made in his travels, but there were also a few who stood out in his memory, those whom he'd made note of because they stood out in one way or another. One of those was a farmer, something of an oddity perhaps in being a dwarf, but that wasn't it, rather more it was his courage and dedication which had come across even in their short meeting.

Leaving his horse to rest in the Ranger Hall stables after his rapid ride across the Province, S'Lon made his way to the farm which Onios had been so diligently setting up at their last meeting, to see how it and he had fared over the extended winter. His feet alone were enough for this trip and he maintained an even run, enough to stretch out the muscles which had become knotted from the riding and yet not so fast that he could not allow the feel of the land to seep into him.

He slowed to a walk as he came to the farm and looked about for his host.
Old October 24, 2009, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Intrepid

Wealth Tier: Steel
Oinos is a benevolent AdventurerOinos is a benevolent Adventurer

The Dwarf was checking out the three long rows of grape vines. During that long cold winter he tried to protect the plants with abundant mulch around each of them and he even cast growth spells on each of them. At first it seemed that they did not survive the prolonged cruel cold. But then when the longest winter abated and the warmth came to Drucilla Plantation, specks of tiny green leaves started to become evident on the vines. Soon they developed into full foliage and had a healthy appearance. Oinos now had very high expectations and was dilligently checking the vines for budding blossoms. He was hoping for the best.

Then he heard nearby footsteps from the direction of the Ranger Hall and when he looked up there was SLon the Ranger already nearby. Rangers are not known to be noisy walkers.

Oinos straightened up, walked toward his visitor and extended his hand, "Greetings Ranger SLon, welcome back to Drucilla Plantation, Are you ready for drink and food?"

Ale is so much more than just a breakfast drink.

sof
CIR
Oinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2009, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mythic

He might well have expected if the farmer had been home that he would be out attending to the never ending duties which a farmer needed to attend to. He smiled as he closed the distance and accepted the hand which had been offered, but his smile broadened into a short laugh as he answered, for trust a dwarf to be ever generous as a host.

"Oinos." His grip was firm as he held the hand for a moment as they greeted. "It is ever a pleasure to see you again and even more so to see you here with your farm prospering. I will admit that I had some concerns for you during the long winter, but I see that you have fared better than I feared. I would accept your invitation with pleasure for I am indeed ready to eat."

It was natural that he would return the favour in some way, even if there was no obligation to do so and he cast his eye over the fields. In Natura he'd seen the Archdruidess bring a field from seed to plant in a few heart beats, and though he'd not be able to do that, surely there would be some task he could assist with. It was a subject he would follow through with as they caught up.
Old October 26, 2009, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Intrepid

Wealth Tier: Steel
Oinos is a benevolent AdventurerOinos is a benevolent Adventurer

The Dwarf led the way to the smaller of the two cottage and said, "Have a seat at the table and I'll get some things from the larder". However he first set two full liter bottles of mead on the table along with two mugs. "Taste the drink while I'm getting the food". He returned shortly with a platter of sliced ham, sliced bread and two apples. Of course there was a jar of honey as well.

When he seated himself, Oinos poured himself some mead and had a sip. Then after a couple of bites he said, "The bees survived, thanks to the Druidess. I got to harvest some honey. The Grape Vines made it too. Sure would be good to finally get a harvest from them. Haven't made any wine yet and sure would like to."

After a few more bites he added, "Lost all the cherry trees but it could have been worse". He then concentrated on food and drink.

Ale is so much more than just a breakfast drink.

sof
CIR
Oinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2009, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mythic

As before the dwarf ensured that his guest was comfortable and seemed not inclined to accept an offer of help, so it was that S'Lon accepted on his part the role of guest and sipped appreciatively of the mead.

"The mead is excellent and would be worth the trip to see you all on its own." He listened to the news and nibbled from what was offered.

"Carmelya was clearly looking over the Druidesses shoulder then for you to have only lost the cherry trees. The last time we spoke, you were only just arranging to get hold of the vines so clearly you have been very industrious since I was last here and that with all the problems that the long winter caused." He'd met many farmers who had been quite ruined by the extended bad weather so he knew just how fortunate Oinos had been. It also struck a chord of guilt in the Ranger that the dwarf had moved on so much and yet he himself had not and perhaps in the eyes of some had regressed instead of moving forward.

"I saw the vines as I came in, whats your plan for them this autumn? You seem very comfortable now with your farm and I doubt not you have plans to see you through to the Spring, should it ever arrive." He silently muttered a prayer to Her against that hideous possibility; that Spring might be delayed yet again.
Old November 24, 2009, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Demon of Heaven

Charybdis has disabled reputation

Charybdis XP Approval|SLon|1 seasonal|Druidism

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: