Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Eunesia > Arios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2009, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Former Staff

Ensnare is a benevolent AdventurerEnsnare is a benevolent Adventurer

Plant a Seed, Grow a Tree, Become a Druid [Markas]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markas Wald View Post
5th Cycle of Kalendryas Season of Winter
Era XVI Post Fractum
Markas came upon the Temple of Carmelya. The young Bajiani had wanted to use his love of the land which he had developed from his time on the family farm. The young human had considered becoming a druid so he could do something with the nature he so loved. So once Markas had settled into his new house he went looking for the Temple of Carmeyla hoping those who resided and worked in the temple would be able to assist him in his dream of becoming a druid.

Markas wasn't expecting a building made up of bent trees. " Maybe expecting trees would have been smart since Carmelya is goddess of nature." Markas thought. "I wonder at the skill of those who made the trees grow in this formation or formed the trees."

Markas entered the temple and looked around. There were no side passages in the temple. Markas stepped away from the entrance so as not to obstruct the entrance. Markas noticed there were several people in brown clothing. Markas looked around the temple gearing up his courage to ask someone for assistance.
The acolytes, priests, and priestesses of Carmelya were all a friendly lot by nature and always willing to help people. So although Markas didn't know it, the follower's of Carmelya, in this temple, were quite friendly and his unease was quite unneeded. But before Markas had a chnace to approach an acolyte, one approached him. It was a gnome man, dressed in the brown robes of all the acolytes.

The gnome was very short, like all gnomes were in comparison to humans, and had twinkling eyes, "Serale, child, what brings you to the Temple of Carmleya this brightening? Just to show your devotions to the beloved Goddess?"
Ensnare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2009, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Adventurer

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Markas Wald is an upstanding Citizen
Before Markas was able to find his courage enough to ask someone he was approached by a gnome dressed in brown robes. Markas assumed that the gnome was an acolyte of the temple since he could see others of various races around the temple which were wearing similar brown robes.

Besides the brown garment the first thing Markas noticed was that the gnome was short or at least shorter than Markas. "Serale." Markas responded. "I was wanting to start druidism traning. I wasn't sure were to start looking so I thought to srart here at the temple."

Last edited by Markas Wald; June 5, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
Markas Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Former Staff

Spreek smoothed the folds of his brown robe, nodding along with Markas' words, his face wrinkling up as he stared at his fingers. He paused, and scratched his chin, and took a moment to gather his thoughts. This man had asked if they offered training in druidism here, as if he didn't that this was the place to train as a druid, the Temples were the institutions for learning arcana. And it was certainly harder to be taught if you did not live here, "Well Markas. It is a pleasure to meet you but, do you live in Arios? Or are you new here? And also you are correct, this is the place to come for Druidism training. And although there are no fees, per se, it does require a donation to the temple."
Old May 3, 2009, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Adventurer

The gnome pondered and listened as Markas explained himself. The gnome asked some questions and Markas took a moment to compose his thoughts. "I have bought a house and have filed the paperwork for residency. But it has been less then the month I was told it would take to confirm the residency." Markas hoped the answer was satisfactory to the gnome.

The young Baijani's face lit up when the gnome confirmed that the temple was the place for druidic traing. When the gnome mentioned a donation MArks asked "What kind of donation. Like a monetary donation or a donation in kind such as service." Markas asked pleasantly.
Old May 11, 2009, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Former Staff

Spreek squinted up at the Baijani; his brows furled into deep folds as he contemplated this foreigner. Ariosians, in general, were friendly to foreigners, mainlanders, but only for set amounts of periods and within very rigid constraints. If Markas had said he had wanted to learn the whereabouts of the Enchanted Glade, or to discuss the benevolence of Carmelya perhaps, then Spreek would bend over backwards--granted not as impressive as if a giant had done it--to assist. But to teach a non-Ariosian, or one who was not an Ariosian yet, arcana seemed scandalous. But he had applied and had not been rejected, so Spreek relented. "The donation must be a monetary one, we do not dictate how much but we do ask you are generous because our services are done otherwise for free."

The gnome would take the donated crowns from Markas, but he would not be the one to teach this young human the arts of druidism--the specialty of this temple. Spreek turned his head around searching the interior of the temple, before his eyes alighted upon a pantheri katta dressed in green robes, distinguishing him as a priest, rather than acolyte, of Carmelya. Spreek raised his short arm to get his attention and waved him over, the katta man obliged and made crossed the temple in a few lengthy strides. He turned to Markas, "Serale, my name is K'tray Parra, head priest at this temple. Who may I ask are you?" He was a stern, yet kind, katta.

Spreek spoke up first, "K'tray, this is Markas Wald. He wishes to learn initiate druidism, and as that i your area of expertise, I thought I would point him to you to begin."
Old May 12, 2009, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Adventurer

The gnome looked up at Markas and seemed to be deep in thought. Markas idly wondered what the gnome acolyte was thinking about. Markas wondered himself if he shouldn't have gone into so much detail with the application with the Aedile. THe young Baijani had been rasied to be honest and so he had told the truth to the acolyte.

The acolyete seemed to make up his mind about whatever he was thinking about. Probably whether to honor Markas request or not. The immediat question Markas had for himself was how much to donate. The house he had bought had been more expensive then he had expected. He still had a few crowns to his name. Markas wondered what would be a good donation. Markas thought about laving himself about fifty cornws but his other option was to give everything he had left to the gnome. If he gave everything he wasn't going be be eating for a few brightenings. "What is a few days without food." Markas thought.

Markas thought for a couple of more seconds and then he had decided. I will give everything except for the last fifty crowns. I can give some more when I get paid by the tavern."

Markas dug into into his pockets and removed one hundred and fifty crowns and handed the money to the gnome. The gnome then turned after receiving the money and raised his arm. A race Markas had never seen came over the the gnome.

The katta addressed Markas but it was the gnome acolyte who answered first. Markas paused taken aback. He wondered what else to say sine the gnome had summed up why he had come. The young Baijani figured it would be rude not to say anything. Markas pointed to the gnome. "He is correct I am new to the island wish to learn initatie druidism." Markas said.
Old May 20, 2009, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Former Staff

The Katta's eyes twinkled with merriment and he shooed Spreek away, "Thank you Spreek, I can handle it from here." He then turned his attention back onto Markas while Spreek ran off to attend to whatever else he needed to do in the temple. "Well Markas, I hate even considering to train druidism inside a building, even a living one like this Temple." He raised his pawed hand at the structure of the Temple of Carmelya, a bright twinkle in his eye, he was proud of it. "But shall we go outside?"

K'Tray turned on his black-furred heal and led the Baijani outdoors, into the rain, which had significantly lessened. But K'Tray did not stop walking until they were a few yards into the forest and could not even feel the rain on their heads because of all the foliage. There was an old and quite large tree trunk laying on the ground, clearly the remains of some old tree that had fallen down in some storm. It was decorated with moss and even some white flowers. It also made a perfect bench: comfortable and just the right height. K'Tray motioned for Markas to sit down and then did the same.

The Katta turned to his new pupil, "So tell me Markas, why do you want to learn druidism? What about this sphere of arcana attracts you? And why do you wish to study arcana at all?"
Old May 26, 2009, 01:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Adventurer

The gnome ran off to complete whatever else it needed to do while the Katta spoke to Markas. Markas smiled at the Katta's comment about teahing druidism in a building. It made perfect sense since Druidism was the magic Carmeyla and of Nature. But Markas thought that a living building would be fine. Especially if that building was probably crafted by Druids. But Markas shrugged the thought away. Markas could tell that the Katta was proud of the temple and wondered if the Katta had been one of those who forged the buidling.

The Katta led the way out of the building and into the rain. Markas felt the raindrops hit him. The rain had lessened significantly. Markas as usual enjoyed the rain. The young Bajani continued to follow but was suprised when the Druid kept walking without a word until the pair had entered the forest. Markks didn't even feel the rain anymore and he craned his neck to look up into the foligae which was obvisouly blocking the rain from coming down to the depths of the forest.

K'Tray motioned to a tree which had fallen over. The tree was covered in moss and even some flowers. The young Baijani was motioned to sit and he did followed by the Katta. Marks listened intently giving his full attention to the Katta. At the Katta's inquiry Marks thought for moent as he wondered how to answer the questions and how to phrase it best.

Markas started slowly. "Why do I want to learn Druidism nd what attracts him about this arcana sphere. Both of those questions can be probaly answered in one response. I guess it comes from the fact that I have always loved being in nature. Part of that has come from the fact that my family have been farmers. With our lives so attached to nature for our survival we farmers hold Druids and druidesses in great respect." Markas took a breath as he paused momentarily.

"Another reason I want to learn Druidism is that I am a baijani. Among the Bajiani druidism is one of the most acceptable a nd resepcted arcana spheres. This is probably due in part to the fact that many Bajani live in Carmeyla province."

Markas spoke camly as he contined to answer the third question posed to him. "Why study arcana at all. That is a harder inquiry to answer. The answer I suppose is because I want to make a difference. I want to accomplish something. Recently I went through a hard period in my live, and I am seeking a meaning to my life. The hard times almost killed me. The two things that got me through the hard times was a knowledge that two things would never dissapear. Those constants were Nature and the filal bonds of family." Markas finished and wondered if what he told the druid was a good enough reason.
Old May 29, 2009, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Former Staff

The Katta listened with great patience and a fatherly tenderness as the young human boy spoke, a twinkle in his eyes and a faint smile on his lips. He was touched by the tenderness, sincerity, and idealness of this youth—it was something that he felt that many people were lacking in their lives today. “Well Markas, that is a very good response, and I hope that after we have completed our lessons that you will be able to use druidism in all the ways that you want. We need more people in this world like you, I believe.” Another smile, K’tray had accepted Markas.

He cleared his throat, for it was time to begin. “Now Markas, in order to practice arcana, one needs to be unbound. All races, save a few, are born bound and unable to practice arcana. I was once myself too, though that seems like a long time ago now,” He chuckled faintly, “And it is rare that one can become unbound, not just anyone can become unbound. But do not fret, I have great confidence that you will be able to become unbound; I had a great eye for those who can and those who cannot.”

K’Tray folded his hands in his lap and took a breath, preparing for his lecture, “Now when you become unbound you become tethered to a Plane of Essence, which is different than the Plane of Material, which is where we live now. The Planes of Essences are where mages draw their ability to perform arcana and each sphere has a specific plane. For us, we draw our magic from the Plane of Nature, because Druidism is nature magic. After I unbind you, I will teach you how to access this plane and to use it to perform your own spells.”

The Katta Priest scooted closer to Markas, raising his hand to the man’s temple, “I am going to unbind you now. I must warn you that this can be a painful and scary process, though it has been my experience that being unbound in Arios lessens this greatly. But if you are successfully unbound you will slip from consciousness and experience a dream. These unbinding dreams, as they are called, are quite vivid and seem very real. They often have a lot of meaning for the newly unbound, and are sometimes a distant memory. I just wish to implore that you are safe in my hands and no harm will come to you.” And with that the unbinding process began.

Markas would lose consciousness instantly, slipping into the recesses of his mind as K’Tray tethered him to the Plane of Nature, all by an apparent simple touch to the temple.

OOCPlease describe your unbinding dream, it can be whatever you like: something inspirational, terrifying, horrifying memories or realizing your dreams. Whatever you like. Also you can assume that it was not a painful unbinding, though if you want to make it painful that is fine too! Have fun!
Old June 5, 2009, 08:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Adventurer

Markas face broke into a big smile when the Katta said that his response was a good one. Markas listened intently as the Katta begin to speak about being unbound. The young Baijani face dropped a little when the Katta mentioned that it is rare for someone to be unbound. So my dream ends here. Markas thought bitterly,

But arcana is woven through our lives . Even the fields around Candaceburg were enchanted. If so why is it so rare regarding the unbinding. Markas wondered
but the Katta expressed confidence in Markas ability to become unbound.

The Katta explained the unbinding essentially placed your anchor on a different plane of existence. The new plane of existence allowed the use of arcana. Markas wasn't sure how that worked, and he rushed his mind to try and come up with an example from his farming days that would fit the unbinding scenario.

The Katta Priest moved closer to Markas and raised his hand to Markas temple. Despite trying to resist doing so Markas flinched slightly. Markas nodded his acknowledgement of the Katta's mention of the unbinding dream and idly wondered what his dream would consist of. Suddenly Markas lost consicousness as he was swallowed up by blackness.

The next thing Markas saw was the light of a dawn just starting to peek over the horizon. Markas felt himself watching his favorite part of a brightening. The sun slowly drove away the shadows on the land. The sun glinted off dew which had fallen. Markas suddenly felt like he had been picked up set down someplace higher. Markas watched from his new vantage point. And suddenly the vista shattered. Suddenly the images came lightning quick. A constant bombarding of images and sound. It seemed to Markas that his entire field of vision was full of a kalediscope of different images.

Markas saw a Baijani tattoing ritual. Others things included several meetings with different people. He saw trees start from seedlings and in an instant grow from seedlings to full grown trees. Animals were born and lived. People living in large cities, small towns and outlying farms. Markas saw various family members both those he knew were still living and some who had passed on. Celebrations of events Markas didn't know. Some were Baijani celebrations others weren't.

Markas felt like he could reach out and touch the images but was afraid to lest the images break apart or are disturbed. Pictures of Markas were there. Him as a old man. there was one image of Markas lying on his bed as a old men a smile on his face as he sleeps or as he dies. Scenes of harvest time. The joyfullness of another season and the gifts and bounty of nature. Storing away of preserves and other food items to last the whole year. Families turning out to gather in the various food. Easily going to sleep with a well earned rest after a long hard day of work planting and harvesting.

Families getting together to build barns and other buildings. Repairing buildings damaged by weather and other incidents Social events including the coming of age of children, marriages and holidays and feast days. Images of plenty. Images which invoke feelings of cherrfullness, happiness, and other warm and comfortable feelings.
Old June 12, 2009, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Former Staff

The dream, for however long it felt for Markas, lasted only just shy of half a candlemark, and he when he awoke he would find that he had slipped from the natural comforts of the mossy log onto the soft, grassy earth. As he slipped back into consciousness, Markas would feel K'tray's fur-covered hands gripping his shoulders and urging him upwards to a standing position. Despite his age, Father K'tray was stronger than he looked, something he attributed to his daily walks and the strenuous amounts of time he spent working on and maintaining his flower garden. His voice was decidedly soft and gentle when he spoke, "Welcome back to Arios, Markas. I hope you are alright, but that seemed like a very successful unbinding to me." Though Markas could not see from his vantage point, the aging katta gave a faint, though sincere, smile. He did not, however, inquire about the dream; unbinding dreams were personal things and Markas was free to tell whoever he pleased, or not.

If Markas needed any assistance, and he might for the unbinding ritual often left people slightly unsettled for a a few minutes or longer, K'tray would help guide Markas back to his seat, before resuming his own next to where Markas now sat. There was a slight twinkle in his eyes as he spoke, and he cleared his throat, "Alright Markas, you are officially unbound and tethered to the astral plane. But before I can teach you about casting spells, we need to discuss the fundamentals of arcana, the arcanomechanics. Druidism, and all spheres of arcana really, are more than wanting to do a spell and then performing it innately. Performing a spell is like following a recipe, there are things that need to be done and ingredients that need to mix before a spell is capable of being performed."

K'tray cleared his throat again, and gave a moment's pause to allow what he had said to sink in a bit before continuing, "All of telath, and every object and being that graces, is full of essences, a mixture of essences from a variety of sources. And each object is unique. We as people, too, have our own set of internal essences and we call this Vis. Along with Vis, there is all essences that flow freely through the environment and are not bound into any object or being, this is known as Ara. Now being a druid, you will have access to the astral plane and to the abundance of nature essence that can be used there. These are the ingredients that we use to make our spells. But how do we access them? For you must be certainly curious about that." Another faint smile, this was the part that K'tray enjoyed, teaching the very basics to a new beginner.

"Ara is all around us and Vis is within us, yet if you are bound, and most of the time you are unbound, you are not aware of it--not innately. To sense and detect Ara and Vis you must enter a state known as clara. Clara is hard to achieve at first and becomes easier to do the more advanced you are and the more practice you have at it. As an initiate you can expect it will take you many handfuls of minutes to enter this state." His eyes twinkled brightly, as if he was holding something back from Markas in a light-hearted, joking manner, but he was not doing so intentionally. There was just so much to say, "Clara is a meditative state, and you need to relax and clear your mind. It is hard to explain and easier to understand when you experience, so try now. Meditate and try to reach the state known as clara."
Old June 17, 2009, 09:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Adventurer

Markas awoke to find himself lying on the ground. Markas felt the Katta's hand gripping his shoulder and helpting him move to a sitting position. The young Baijani looked at the Katta with a question. He wanted to ask the Katta how long he had been out but the Katta beat him to the punch when he began to start speaking.

Markas tried to move to stand but his vision started to seem. The young Baijani then felt the Katta helping him get to his feet and to sit back on the log. Markas focused his eyes on the Katta and noticed a twinkle in the Katta's eyes as the Katta cleared his throat. The Katta began talking to Markas about the basics of arcane. Markas listened intently trying to commit what the Katta said to memory. Markas was glad for the break the Katta gave him. It allows the information to sink in. When Markas decided on this path he had no idea of the amount of new information he need to take in.

“So Vis is the ix of essences that make up us as people. Then the Ara is free essences essentially.” Markas mutters trying to get the difference correct. When the Katta told Markas to meditate and try and enter the state of Clara. Markas began to take smaller breaths and closed his eye to block out any visual simulation. Markas then attempts to clear his mind which wasn’t easy trying to clear his mind of the enormity of the knowledge he had to absorb today.
Old July 4, 2009, 05:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Former Staff

OOCSorry for the delays!

K'Tray nodded, "Yes, that is a very good way to describe it! But please try and enter clara now. Meditate and clear your mind." K'Tray then sat by patiently and waited and watched as his newest pupil made his attempt to reach clara. It was a hard art to teach and really best learned when just done.

And Markas would be successful, though it would take him well over half a candlemark. But arcana would soon become known to him, and Markas would be aware that he had successfully reached clara. How one perceived arcana depended on the individual, most saw it, but other heard it, smelled it, tasted it, and even felt it. It just depended on the individual.

K'Tray could tell from his student's expression that Markas had reached clara but when he spoke it would break Markas' concentration and throw him out of clara. As he became more practiced Markas would be able to stay in Clara with small distractions such as that, but for now it would not work. "What did you see Markas? Did you notice the arcana in yourself and me and then also floating through the air?"

OOCFeel free to describe it however you like, have fun! It can be as colorful or plain as you want!
Old July 19, 2009, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Adventurer

Markas listened as the Katta said the young Baijani had come up with a good description of Vis and Ara. The next thing the katta wanted the young Baijani to attempt is to enter clara. Markas wasn't sure how hard that would be but was willing to give it a go.

Markas listened and then sitting on the log the Baijani stared out into the woods trying to zone out. Markas then tried to Meditate by closing his eyes. The young Baijani kept trying for a long time. Time seemed to slow down.
The katta asked Markas whether he saw the arcana in himself, in the Katta, and finally in the air. Markas paused for a moment then began to speak. “I really didn't see it. I seemed to feel it more than actually see it. It was somewhat of an odd sensation. It was a mix of the way dirt feels when you pick up a handful and let it dribble out of your hands. But that was mixed with the way the air feels right before a good rainstorm happens.” Markas said in response to the Katta’s inquiry.
Old July 24, 2009, 07:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Former Staff

Father K'Tray nodded approvingly, "It seems that you have achieved clara, that is very good. Without clara, druidism, and all spheres of arcana, are not possible. Now Markas, I am going to impart the initiate level spells that I know to you. This means you will know how to perform these spells without having to get into too much concern about mana creation and trickier things you will learn at later levels. This will only take a moment." The forest of Arios was beautifully serene as Master K'Tray imparted the initiate level spells that he knew into the Baijani boy.

It did not take long before he was done, and he smiled broadly at his pupil. "There, all of the know how to do the initiate level spells are in your head. So you can do them all and know how to do them all, but I am going to walk you through each spell and what they do. And then you will get to try. Are you ready?" The Katta Priest of Carmelya gave a moment's pause to allow Markas to ask any questions he might have had before continuing on.

K'Tray cleared his throat, "Now the first spell that we are going to do is called Globe of Fireflies. This spell is very simple and is my favorite spell to start with. This spell is used when you want a little light for what ever reason; perhaps when you go wandering in the forest during the darkening. For this spell, you can summon fireflies that are in your area, if there are any, or you can summon them from the Plane of Nature. Both work just fine. After being summoned they will cluster in a sphere and provide some light for you and will follow you if you move. This spell lasts until it is dispelled, something we will discuss later, or after it has worn off." K'Tray smiled, this was his favorite spell. There was nothing more beautiful and simple at the same time as the light given off by a globe of fireflies.

"The spell is in your head, you will know how to do it. But in order to be able to do it you need to enter clara. Then focusing on doing this spell mix a portion of your vis with the ara around you together. This forms something called mana and launches you into the Astral Plane, and from there you will mix it with the essence of nature. Then all you have to do is release the spell and you will be thrown out of clara, and hopefully, there will be a globe of fireflies here. Are you ready? Please try." K'Tray sat back on the log, waiting to see what happened and if his student could successfully complete the spell.