Old February 12, 2009, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Divinely Devoted Druid

Wealth Tier: Steel
Aydyn Blair is a glorious SuperheroAydyn Blair is a glorious SuperheroAydyn Blair is a glorious SuperheroAydyn Blair is a glorious SuperheroAydyn Blair is a glorious Superhero

Wishful Woodland Wandering

The Fourth Cycle in Imperos
in the Season of Summer

The brightening would have been perfect, she concluded, if she did not have to watch her daughter as she twined through the trees. She did not begrudge her daughter her existence. Quite the contrary, Noah filled her life with something that she had been lacking...only she hadn't realized it until Noah had been born. There were times, however, when Aydyn wished for a little personal time. As a single mother, she lacked that more than anything.

Besides, it was never easy to keep an eye on a fretful toddler and walk through dense woodland in search of... What? Druids. And other things. So many spoke of the forest, saying it was enchanted. It had got her to thinking. Was this where an enchanted glade could be found? One of the places where druids could slip through the wood and appear elsewhere? Or perhaps they merely referred to the fact that the trees replenished themselves so quickly once they'd been chopped down. If that was an oddity, Aydyn didn't know what was. What was even more amazing was that the woods had not yet overrun the island, but perhaps the sleepless nights left plenty of time for woodcutters and other such folk to hack away at the trees.

The druidess adjusted the way Noah fit against her side and grunted. "You're way too heavy to carry these brightenings, Noah," she informed her daughter with a slight sigh. The little girl's fingers were flailing out towards a low-hanging branch, grabbing, jerking. The branch pulled through her fingers, wiggling in the air behind them. Noah didn't seem to care, taking it all in stride as she reached for something else.

"Why don't you walk for mama?" she prompted, bending to set Noah's two small feet on the ground. She just squealed in delight and ran forward, tumbling over a root with an 'ompf'. Aydyn winced, waiting for the tears, but her girl was durable and Noah was up within moments, grabbing at a brightly colored flower dangling in the empty space of the narrow woodland path. "No, honey, let's leave that alone." She clamped larger fingers around smaller ones and pried them from the flower. It wasn't one she was familiar with and she wasn't about to let Noah put it in her mouth.

She clasped hold of Noah's hand, kept hold of it, and she let her daughter stay at the vanguard. It was slow progress with a toddler leading the way--every now and again she wanted to stop and play with a bug that went skittering by or some rock that glinted a little more than others in the faint light that filtered down through the canopy. Aydyn endured it with some patience, scanning the woods each time they stopped to indulge Noah's curiosity. After all, who was she to begrudge her daughter's curiosity in nature?
Old February 18, 2009, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Former Staff

Ensnare is a benevolent AdventurerEnsnare is a benevolent Adventurer

Aydyn was sure to notice, if not in herself then surely in her daughter, that the island had weird affects on people. The rumors that Arios was the city where nobody slept were more than just rumors or mere exaggerations--it was true no one slept here! Ariosians worked hard all day and then partied all night, but their sleeplessness had downsides, surely. What does one do with so much extra time besides go insane?

As Aydyn walked through the woods with her young daughter, she would surely notice that Noah did not grow sleepy or need a nap, as would be expected from a normal child of her age. Aydyn herself would not feel herself growing low in energy levels, though she may get sore if she worked hard. All of this would probably make a pleasant afternoon for her because she would have no overly exhausted little girl on her hands.

Though it was a good idea that Aydyn had taken her little girl's hand, for although it appeared to be a peaceful brightening, forests are never completely safe for those who are unprepared--like a toddler for example. The walk was fairly uneventful as of right now, just a pleasant walk in the forests. But a tiny voice was heard squeaking out from somewhere up in the trees, it was light, childish, and full of laughter,

"A stranger with a darling babe I see,
but I doubt that her eye can spy me!"

The voice once again began to snicker, not a malicious snicker, but a laugh like a child's, a child who pulling a prank or making a joke. An innocent joke. But this laughing voice was soon paired with another, a similar voice but one that was more feminine than the first, but only by hearing them both side by side could one make out that one was more feminine than the other--at least big folk had a hard time distinguishing,

"Lady pretty, Arios of Forest the to you brings what? By called you are name what?"

The laughter after this cryptic line was even more intense, both voices joining together in great laughter, full of merriment and tease.
Old February 21, 2009, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Divinely Devoted Druid

Aydyn Blair is a glorious SuperheroAydyn Blair is a glorious SuperheroAydyn Blair is a glorious SuperheroAydyn Blair is a glorious SuperheroAydyn Blair is a glorious Superhero

oocdon't worry about posting speed for me this week :) I am gonna be uber busy!

Aydyn was not unaware of the strange workings of Arios. It was no vast secret that the people here never slept, but it was strange enough experiencing a lack of tiredness herself...or to see that her daughter did not sleep also. She clung onto Noah's hand as they walked despite the girl's pleas and whines against the restraint. She wanted to play. And that was fine. She could play. She just couldn't stray from her mother, that's all.

When the laughter began to trickle through the forest, Aydyn drew up to an abrupt stop, the whole of her rigid and suddenly wary. Her fingers twitched, but she did not speak the word that bring her staff into her hands. She restrained herself, brushing her fingers against the peridot necklace at her throat, remembering a time when she had encountered a strange man in the woods, someone who had come up behind her. He had taken her finger and left the marks around her wrists and ankles...and worse.

Her eyes shifted around her, but it became clear that this was not something large. Something small. Fae?

The tension remained in her shoulders despite the slight smile as she heard the sing song of the rhyme. Whoever was behind the laughter and the voices sounded easy and playful, not hurtful. But kindness sometimes masked a darker heart.

Her eyes searching the surrounding branches, her hand grasping the smaller fingers of her daughter--who started to tug against her mother's grasp--she tried to pick out the speakers from the leaves. "I'm here to enjoy the brightening. My name's Aydyn." She didn't yet introduce her daughter. Not yet. She added, at length: "I heard these woods were enchanted. I came to see for myself."
Old February 23, 2009, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Former Staff

OOCWell that is inconsiderate of you, don't you know I have nothing better to fill my days with other than posting for you :p ?

The two owner's of the mysterious voices had still yet to reveal themselves from the security of the canopy--it was hard to tell if they were hiding so they could keep teasing Aydyn or if they were indeed afraid of her too? Or perhaps Aydyn's gut was correct, and they had malicious intentions hidden beneath humor. Who knew?

The two did not make a sound as they were up in the trees, so it was only possible to guess where they were based on their voices--though that would only give a general idea, not a specific one. But it was quite clear they were up in the trees, significantly above Aydyn's head. A snickering insued after Aydyn spoke, they could hear the tension in her voice and it caused them great pleasure to know they were causing her confusion. Such childish behavior! The one who spoke in rhyme spoke first, again,

"You came to Arios to enjoy your brightening?
Do you not have work to do, you have a baby!
Because people in Arios usually enjoy the darkening,
did you forget your daily obligations maybe?"

No laughter followed this, for it seemed the speaker was genuinely confused--for when people need no sleep they did not understand needing a break to enjoy your brightening, that is what darkenings are for! But it seemed the second speaker seemed to still have fun when it spoke, laughing was mixed into its speech,

"Enchanted were woods these you told who and? Aydyn, lies you telling not were they know you do how? Hear you that everything believe you that people all of trusting so you are?"

The second speaker's style was sure to cause Aydyn no small headache, and that fact sent the two merry tormentors into a fit of laughter, all over again.
Old March 1, 2009, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Divinely Devoted Druid

oocAnd I am back! You may enjoy my presence once again! :p

Aydyn had stopped walking as these voices surrounded her, bodiless, so it seemed...or just hidden by the trees. She frowned a little, tilting her head a bit, as she listened. The rhyme and cadence was simple enough to understand and she shook her head slightly. "I'm not from Arios, so I'm not familiar with the way they do things." She had heard, however, that they spent their darkenings partying. "And I prefer to see the forest in the brightening light, rather than in the shadows."

The other voice did, however, give Aydyn some pause. The words were so twisted, meandering, and made little sense when strung one to the other. "I'm sorry..." she murmured, struggling to understand. "I wasn't telling lies. At least not that I'm aware." She assumed, at least, that the person was telling her she was lying. "This place reeks of magic. There's no other place on Telath, I believe, where the people have no need for sleep... What else could it be, but something magic?"

As she clutched Noah's hand, she let herself drift into Clara and shaped a quick Detecta druid can detect the presence of others in the immediate vicinity as if it were an innate instinct by Divining the Mana. When it comes to invisible, undead or otherwise hidden creatures, the mage might be able to detect these creatures and know the direction where they are, but not actually see them. spell, sending it out around her to probe the area. She could only leap to assumptions concerning what was out there, but she wanted to know, at least, where they were in case they meant her harm. So far they seemed content to ply her with riddles. So far.
Old March 5, 2009, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Former Staff

The voices erupted into laughter when Aydyn responded, not at first at least, for Aydyn followed the rhyming voice easily--which was expected, it wasn't that hard. The voices might actually pity her if that was beyond her. But the second voice's speech was the more difficult one, and that Aydyn had completely missed its meaning sent the pair into fits of uncontrollable laughter, almost childlike laughter--a sound that should be very familiar to the young mother now!

As Aydyn slipped into the familiar feeling of clara and formed and casted her spell detect, she would immediately feel the presence of two faeries who were up in the branches of the tree not to far from her right. But another presence was also detected up there, an animal that was significantly larger than the faeries combined. Whether or not it was with the two faeries was unknown to Aydyn.

But before Aydyn could do anything, like announce that she knew where the pair hid, the other animal started to stalk over to the two faeries, but they were too distracted laughing at Aydyn to notice it. With a sudden crash, the animal pounced and it, and a blue-colored male faerie, fell to the ground. The blue faerie came crashing to the ground, screaming in terror and trying to push the jowels of the hungry cat back, "Me help! me save, Carmelya of love the for!" Immediately the cat and the blue faerie hit the ground, an electric purple and pink male faerie came shooting out of the tree, and launched its tiny self at the cat, sitting on its back and pulling it fur. It was clearly a battle for the life of the blue faerie, who was holding the cat off. For now.
Old March 7, 2009, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Divinely Devoted Druid

Aydyn smiled a little to herself as the fae figures loomed there, present and still hiding. She looked up towards them, head tilted...but the smiled slipped into a slight, puzzled frown as she tried to glean what was lurking behind them. Perhaps just an animalI almost wrote 'email' hahah they had befriended that went around with them....

Even as she was considering this, the animal started to move forward, shoulders moving in a way that was very familiar to the druid--she did, after all, have a small coterie of felines back home that liked to stalk and pounce. Her brow furrowed, but before she could get the words of warning out of her mouth, the cat pounced, branches snapped, and the one faerie suddenly overwhelmed by the cat, fending against the large teeth that tried to consume it.

"Myrthe!" She called the name of her staff frantically and the wooden object twined like vines and topped with a curled flower bud, popped into her hand. She jerked Noah roughly behind her and shaped the spell Ally with AnimalUsing Divination a druid is capable of calling upon an animal in the immediate vicinity to temporarily ally itself to the mage. However not all animals take kindly to being mind-controlled in such a way, and when the spell wears off, the animal regains free will and may get hostile with the druid. Just like with other animal spells, this one too has a higher chance of failing on sentient animals., commanding the cat to cease its attack and come to quietly sit in front of her.

Her heart was pounding as she worked the spell. She hated the idea of controlling animals, but hated even more the prospect of death--either the fae's or the cat's. It was the best way, in the mind of the Druid, to keep the situation from snowballing into something even worse.
Old March 9, 2009, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Former Staff

Aydyn's quick reaction time was definitely fortunate for the faerie laying prone underneath the cat, for the two faeries were able to hold the cator should I say the email? :p off long enough to allow Aydyn enough time to summon her staff and shape and cast her spell--which granted did not take very much time at all but when time is of the essence, like it was, every second dragged on as if it were really hours in disguise.

The cat, which was no more than a common housecat, whom presumably had free range to go explore from its owners or had possibly run away, came to sit next to Aydyn, as commanded, with a slight blankness in its eyes. It sat there quite stiff waiting for anything else that Aydyn had to command of it.

The purple faerie that had been wrestling with the cat flew besides his companion inspecting for wounds, which he quickly discovered there were. The blue faerie's leg had a fairly large--for a faerie remember!--gash on the side of his left leg, which was bleeding somewhat profusely. The purple faerie quickly flew up to the tree and snatched a leafnot a life, a leaf!, and attempted to tie it around the blue faerie's leg. But he was clearly having difficulty for the leg was still bleeding. They had not yet had time to acknowledge or thank Aydyn, for it was necessary to make haste, for an injured faerie on the ground was a faerie at risk.

Last edited by Ensnare; March 9, 2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Divinely Devoted Druid

Aydyn, for the time being, did not give her attention to the cat she had just commanded to sit quietly at her side. She dropped to her knees alongside of the faeries and used the connection of her staff to easily manipulate the spells Imbued in the silver and peridot bracelet clasped about her wrist. In it were six imbuements of an Apprentice-level Heal spell and using this spell would at least enable her to maintain her Vis levels rather than drain them.

"Be calm, be calm," she murmured gently to the faeries. "I can tend to the wound," she assured them. Activating the spell, Aydyn focused it upon the gash on the faerie's leg, urging it to progress in a natural, if quickened, manner.

Once that was tended to, she'd turn her attention to the feline--but only once she was sure that the faerie was all right. Usually she would have said 'just a scratch' when it came to feline slashes, but the fae was small...the cat large in comparison.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Former Staff

Aydyn's healing was quite successful, the gash on the blue faerie's leg sealed itself together, only leaving a faint, white line where the gash used to be--but the wound had healed quite nicely. The blue faerie touched his leg, trailing his tiny fingers along the equally tiny line, while his friend looked on eagerly. Upon being confident his leg was fine, flexing it a few times, the two fae took off into the air, hovering at Aydyn's eye level.

The blue faerie, whose leg Aydyn had just healed, spoke first, his tone was relieved but he still spoke in his confusing pattern, "Life my saved have you! Aydyn much so you thank. Properly you repay ever could I sure not am I. Earlier you for trouble much so causing for sorry, with you help can we anything there is? Goofy somewhat be can we. Way the by, Backwards am I." He smiled, hoping his name gave some clue to how he spoke and that Aydyn would understand him. His purple friend merely looked on, but nodding along signalling that he agreed--they both wanted to repay Aydyn.

OOCSo I chose purple text for the blue fae, and blue text for my purple fae by accident. XD silly me!
Old March 14, 2009, 07:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Divinely Devoted Druid

ooclol Whoops! Oh well :p It's amusing at least :D

Aydyn would have been less accustomed to fae buzzing about her head in excitement were it not for Peri Winkleweather, her live-in pixie baby-sitter back at Olympia. She'd left poor Peri at the house, seeing no reason for him to come along, but in hindsight, she probably should have indulged the smooth-talking pixie with a little trip. Or maybe not. These two faeries were more than enough for one woman to handle!

His speech pattern was still difficult to follow, but she could get the gist of it by selecting words out of it. Life. Saved. Thank you. Sorry for earlier trouble. Can we help you. Okay, she got that. But it was still a headache! She chuckled as he introduced himself. "Backwards?" she smiled. A fitting name, she supposed. "Who's your friend?" She glanced to the other fae curiously.

"I'm Aydyn and this..." she paused, looking behind her. She'd let go of Noah to help the fae and now saw her daughter 'assaulting' the kitty Aydyn had brought to heel. Noah was giggling hysterically as a hand fiercely stroked the cat's fur. "This is Noah," she announced, standing and taking a few steps to where her daughter stood, swooping her up despite protests.

"Kitty!" she demanded, arms reaching back towards it.

"You can play with the kitty when we get home," Aydyn assured her, studying the feline thoughtfully. What to do with it? She had no need to bring a cat around with her. Gently she urged the animal to go off and hunt--but try and stay away from the pixies this time!

It was only once the cat was sent away and introductions had been exchanged that Aydyn gave some thought to their offer to help her somehow. "You laughed at me earlier when I said that the woods might be enchanted. Was I really wrong?" she asked, looking between the pair of them.
Old March 17, 2009, 05:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Former Staff

Backwards made an attempt to speak, planning on introducing his blue companion, but the blue faerie cut him off, his words were rushed and very soft--lacking the laughter they had earlier. It was clear that this one was not as bold or brave as he had originally appeared, he was a different faerie entirely when he was out in the open,

"All my friends know me as Rhyme
But forgive me, I prefer to be a mime."

And with this Rhyme gave a bow and quickly flew to the side of his friend, their arms nearly touching--Backwards gave a simple pat on his friends back, before explaining, "Rhyme excuse to have will you. Him see cannot to speaks he person the when or me with alone is he when speaking himself finds only really and shy very is he.Lungs and tongue his are fingers and hands and arms his." He then just shrugged as if to say that was that, just the way things were. Rhyme also shrugged.

Both of the faeries' gazes shot towards the cat as the little girl Noah called for it from her mother's arms and were relieved when it marched off--though they watched it carefully as it stomped through the tall, thick growth of the Ariosian forest.

Rhyme quickly shook his head, vigorously, then gestured with his hands indicating tall structures, then pointed off to his right. Backwards watched him, patiently waiting for him to finish before he spoke, "Enchanted were woods the that indicating you at laughing not were we. Us misinterpreted had you that funny it found only we. Glade Enchanted an have does Arios." Rhyme now held his hands in a 'T' shape so that one hand was divided by the other so the fingers were visible above the other hand and the palm below it. He then wiggled his fingers--his meaning might be unclear to Aydyn though. Hopefully she was patient, for these two could be very confusing.
Old March 18, 2009, 02:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Divinely Devoted Druid

Rhyme and Backwards. Well, the names were fitting...although she had to wonder if they'd changed their names when realizing their speech patterns...or if their parents had just had the misfortune of recognizing how these two would speak further down the line. She smiled after Rhyme, as if to reassure him that she wouldn't take offense to his desire to remain quiet, and refocused on Backwards, the chattier of the two...something Aydyn embraced with some minor regret--Rhyme was, by far, the easiest one to understand.

She struggled to under the faerie as he explained that, yes, there was indeed an Enchanted Glade--something she'd learned from Spreek before embarking on this quest to find it. She smiled, grateful that they'd just confirmed her findings. That, however, didn't solve the fact that she didn't know where it was located.

She bent and gathered her daughter up into her arms, trying to do her best with holding the growing girl and keeping a grasp on her staff. She could have easily tossed the staff into the woods and it wouldn't have mattered--she merely had to retrieve it with a word--but the fact that this place was magic held her back; who knew what the woods might do to her staff. She'd spent too long working on it to lose it carelessly.

"Do you know where I could find the Glade? Do you think you might bring me there...? That is, if it's not a bother." Someone else might have pressed upon that she had just saved their lives. Aydyn just looked between the two faeries, hoping that they'd be agreeable to her request.
Old March 19, 2009, 10:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Former Staff

The faeries did not need to be reminded how much they owed Aydyn to be persuaded to help her--it was all too fresh in their minds. And not to mention that Ariosians were generally inclined to be good-natured individuals and more than willing to help when they could. These two faeries were mischievous little things, but honorable and would help Aydyn with what she asked.

The silent one, Rhyme--who also happened to be about a half-inch shorter than Backwards, if Aydyn could notice such a miniscule detail as that!--nodded vigorously, indicating quite clearly that they would be willing to help. He then pointed off to his right side, possibly indicating where they should start going. Backwards was quick to affirm with a nod, "Glade Enchanted the find you help to love would we. Walking of bit a require will it through, here from to get to easy relatively is it. Tired too get not will girl little your and Arios in are you that luck in are you. Now begin we shall?" His deep, multi-shaded blue eyes gazed intently at Aydyn--and upon hearing her affirmation the two faeries would take off in unison in the same direction--timid Rhyme indicating with his hand for the mother and daughter to follow.

They started walking through the forest--or rather flittering through it--and it proved to be quite overgrown with brambles and brush, the two faeries not thinking about the ground conditions that they took because it simply did not affect them. So they flew quite easily, but Aydyn would probably be moving clumsily, especially if she opted to carry her daughter--it would turn into a long adventure for sure.

Rhyme turned around and alarm appeared in his violently violet eyes, and he actually managed to squeak out a few works, though they were extremely high-pitched and barely audible:

"Oh we are so sorry dear and new friend!
It must appear that the brambles have no end!
But this is the only way me know
And it really is the fastest way to go."

He was very apologetic and hoped that the two humans did not mind--this path might be less than pleasant, though the view was quite nice. They continued on, going deeper and deeper into the forest. It got oddly quite, something that clearly agitated the two faeries, so Backwards called behind him, "Far so Arios find you do how so? Stay your enjoyed you have?" His voice was inquisitive but it was clear that wanted to cover up the silence more than an interest in what Aydyn said--not that there was a complete lack of interest!
Old March 27, 2009, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Divinely Devoted Druid

Aydyn held onto Noah and her staff, a fact that made it difficult to maneuver the growth that protruded over the path. The faeries, she could see, had little trouble making their way onward and forward. Aydyn, however, struggled, twisting her body to try and use her staff and shoulders to keep the branches from snagging against Noah's face. Her daughter wasn't helping matters for she fussed and squirmed, wanting to be put down and disliking the branches that tickled at her skull and snagged at her hair.

The Druidess paused in their walking as Rhyme declared his alarm and apologized profusely. She shook her head slightly, looking around, trying to get a better sense of possible directions they might be able to travel. But it would seem the only way was forward...and she trusted the faeries to bring her where she wanted to go and likely it would have been dangerous if she went haring off in a direction of her own.

"It's all right," she reassured Rhyme gently and turned back to her Druidism, weaving Ara and Vis and working them into a Reshaping of the Obscurement spell--instead of the leaves and vegetation curling in towards her, she worked to have them bend and grow away from the path. She focused the spell as far ahead and along the path as she could manage without over-extending herself; it wouldn't do for Aydyn to deplete her Vis on something so minor.

When Backwards piped up, she looked towards him. "I rather like your island--the way it smells after the rain, the forest, even the people. It's...mysterious. Different. It's almost...homey. Almost." She looked around her, peering into the dark growths of the woodlands. "Where do you live? Here in the forest?"