Old April 6, 2008, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mistress of Death

Wealth Tier: Steel
Amber Brightwing is a glorious SuperheroAmber Brightwing is a glorious SuperheroAmber Brightwing is a glorious Superhero

Enchanted Wood Hunting

Brightening 8 of the Second Cycle of The Month of Junctior in the Season of Autumn
Era II of the Celestine Mandate, Era XIV Post Fractum in the Age of the Darkening

The coast of the Eunesian seas. Most of the distance had been crossed, but the hardest part of the journey still remained. Amber dispelled her Shadow Walk spell and returned back to solid form. There had been tests on pebbles and pieces of rock to see if the spell was even possible, followed by tests on random drunks from the Southern Quarter to see if it was survivable. Eventually she had felt comfortable enough to try it out on herself. This had been the first time she had used the spell for what it had been intended though, and so far it had gone smooth.

She looked down on the map. Following the roads had been easy enough, but that wasn’t real problem of getting to Arios. She still had to cross some sea that looked broad enough on the map that you might not even see the island’s shores during daylight and she had to do this during the night or loose her convenient form of Arcanic transportation. She was prepared for that though. According to her basic map she should be looking towards the Northern half of Arios right now. In reality she could just as well be off by a dozen miles, but the Island was broad and there was always Arcana to help out a little during such tough moments.

After a moment of Meditation, Clara was there again and she started drawing the needed Essences for her second Journeyman spell of the night. Through Divination she’d connect herself with her environment, adding a little Conjuration just in case there wouldn’t be much shadows on the water. She would mainly use the augmented power to spread her Shadow Vision as wide as her it allowed her though. Next she’d re-enter Clara, recast Shadow Walk and fly away from the shores going as straight as possible. Unless she had made some horrible mistakes in her map reading she’d either reach the Arios shores or she should be getting close enough to the Isle that her Shadow Vision would be able to correct her.

Why should I fear death? If I am, then death is not. If death is, then I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do? - Epicurus

Old April 18, 2008, 02:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Former Staff

Salamander is a benevolent Adventurer

Arios, the island that never slept.

The journey wouldn’t have been possible during the brightening due to the lack of shadows on the water, but in darkness it was manageable.

Everything was black or a darker kind of blue, and there was no light apart from whatever came from the stars.

The map that Amber used wasn’t entirely correct, but Arios was big enough that Shadow Vision helped her find it.

As soon as she reached the shore, she would notice something unusual. Most normal islands would have been quiet during the darkening, and there would be hardly any light, but Arios was filled with life everywhere, from the strange ruins near the shore where she had ended up over the houses that could be found here and there in the dense forest to the small town of Arios with its wooden buildings.

The islanders were celebrating, and there was music and dancing and a feast.
Old April 19, 2008, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mistress of Death

Amber Brightwing is a glorious SuperheroAmber Brightwing is a glorious SuperheroAmber Brightwing is a glorious Superhero

As predicted, the map had been off a little or maybe she just hadn’t been reading it that accurately, whatever it was, it mattered little. As suspected, the landmass was big enough not to miss with the taken precautions. Once solid ground appeared below her feat again, both spells were quickly dispelled. She had collected what information she found on the Island before leaving and from what she gathered it was acceptant to all forms of Arcana, with mages from various spheres living there. ‘All spheres’ unfortunately did not always included all of them, so she had decided to take the certain for the uncertain and keep a low profile.

The light and music around her were certainly strange to behold, but with the tales of people that never slept they weren’t entirely surprising though. She had initially intended to just take a nap and resume her search in the morning when there was sufficient light for her to find the Glade, but somehow she didn’t feel all that tired yet. There was the familiar feeling of mental weariness due having used up all her Vis, but otherwise she still felt fit enough to keep going just a little while longer.

After some consideration she started flying towards the nearest source of light and music. She could just as well go and see what exactly was happening and maybe even see if she could get any info on the place from the locals. It might make her search go a lot smoother.

Why should I fear death? If I am, then death is not. If death is, then I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do? - Epicurus

Old April 27, 2008, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Former Staff

The nearest source of light and music turned out to be a clearing in the dense forest. It was occupied by a handful of buildings, a few small ones grouped around some kind of villa. All of them were made of wood, the kind of wood that grew in the forest around them. Tables had been placed onto the grass between the houses, and the people had decorated the trees with garlands. Colourful lampoons could be seen everywhere. The light that was coming from them wasn’t even nearly as bright as daylight, but it was enough, and a party in bright light wasn’t as much fun anyway.

The tables were filled with food, roast meet, beef, chicken, fruit, vegetables, drinks. Most of the party guests seemed to be humans, dressed in comfortable Eunesian clothes, men and women alike, but there were a few elves in between, and a halfling with big, hairy feet was sitting on a treestump, smoking a pipe. They were eating, dancing and just generally having a good time. A bard in colourful clothes was playing a tune on his lute. He wasn’t the best bard on Telath, but he was decent, and his song made one’s feet each. It was a happy and cheerful little song.

The people of Arios were hard working, but when the suns set they were partying even harder. They didn’t waste any time with sleeping, but enjoyed the darkenings to the fullest.
Old April 28, 2008, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mistress of Death

The Fae overlooked the party and pondered how to go about this without causing too much suspicion. She didn’t want to ask for directions towards the glade, trying to avoid possible questions on her Arcane abilities when needed. There was always lying, but not having to resort to that was just so much easier. After a few different considerations she dove down and hovered right in front of the Halfling’s face, staying just out of his arm’s reach. Not that she’d really expect him to cause her any harm. In fact, it didn’t even occur to her she was keeping a safe distance. It had simply become a habit not to come too close to people when not strictly needed. Perhaps she had grown a bit paranoia in the Era’s she’d been spending in Vortex, but given the reputation of the city and the number of questionable elements that resided there she was going by the ‘better safe then sorry’ philosophy.

“Serale, I’m Amber. How are you doing? I only just arrived today. Nice party you people are having party you’re having. Is it true what they say about you people never going to sleep or do you just stay up really late? Don’t you get really tired?”

Not at all her usual behaviour, but instead her best attempt at being somewhat more erratic like the rest of her annoyingly curious brethren. The questions were aimed at getting a conversation started and perhaps later on she could try and steer the conversation into the direction she wanted.

Old May 1, 2008, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Former Staff

„Oh … serale, little one!“ the halfling said cheerfully and took a puff from his pipe. As he exhaled, a thick cloud of smoke drifted Amber’s way, but the halfling, being a typical member of his race that loved his tobacco more than most things, didn’t even notice it. “Been some time since I’ve seen a fairy. What brings you to our island?”

He didn’t seem to mind her barrage of questions at all. Instead he grinned at her and answered with an incredibly long monolgue in an annoyingly cheerful voice.

“I’m fine. This party is indeed nice, and you are free to join if you want to. And yes, we never go to sleep. We work during the brightening and party every darkening? It’s fun, isn’t it? We never really get tired either, but sometimes the people here go a little crazy because they are up all darkening long, so they send a few priests of Kaimelea or whatever her name is over this way and they make us fall asleep … so we sleep about once every two months …”

“Want a smoke, little one?” He held his pipe out towards her, not noticing that it was too big. “You can have food and drinks as well, but I’m afraid we don’t have any fairy boys that you can dance with. Just big, stupid humans and elves and me.”
Old May 11, 2008, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mistress of Death

OOCCompletely missed that there was a reply ><

The smoke tickled her lungs unpleasantly for a moment as the cloud passed and she made a little cough. Not that she had any particular dislike of pipes, but the thick clouds like these were a bit too much for her. The Halfling didn’t seem to mind a conversation so it was time to see if anything useful could be gathered.

“Well, I’ve been doing one of those office jobs for a long time now and I could use a vacation. Figured a magical Island would be a good place for that. And being able not to get tired is certainly a plus when you’re taking a vacation don’t you think?” Aside from that it might make her business shorter then expected. Not that she minded taking her time on this, but the travelling to and from Vortex would be a hassle she could do without. “Do you have a lot of special magical places around here I certainly should pay a visit too?” There was only one such place she was truly interested in, but she figured a more general question would be the more logical one to ask for a tourist.

The smoke was politely declined. She wasn’t much into those things, preferring the scent of living plant life over their burned counterpart. “You don’t have any Fae on your Island?” Not that she mind in the least if they didn’t, the contrary even. “Not that I don’t mind the big, stupid humans and elves and you. I’m used to being around the bigger races. As long as they don’t squash me or try to eat me I’ll be just fine.”

Old May 19, 2008, 02:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Former Staff

OOC: Missed your reply as well!

„Office jobs are boring“, the halfling decided. „Vacations on the other hand are a lot of fun, and Arios is the best place for those of course. We know how to party!“ He grinned. „There is lots of magic as well. Are you a mage too, little one? Me, I’m a druid. Quite useful if you want to grow tobacco. Only takes a few moments, really.“

As Amber asked about magical places, the talkative halfling thought about it for a moment before he launched another speech. „Well, we have an enchanted glade which has lots of nice, magical silver trees. People go there to get their staves and such. Me, I’m not going to get a staff. What is a peaceful tobacco farmer like me supposed to do with an oversized walking stick?“

„Of course we also have lots of magical people. Almost everybody is a mage, and you can find just about every sphere here. Haven’t seen a necromancer yet though. They are probably hiding. Don’t like them anyway with their zombies and skeletons and demons.“ He made a face. „And we do have faeries on the island, a few at least, but they never come to my parties. And don’t worry about people trying to eat you. We are not cannibals on Arios.“
Old May 19, 2008, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mistress of Death

“The job’s not bad, but vacation is definitely better and it seems like I made the perfect choice as holiday resort.” She grinned back at the Halfling. “I like Magic, it’s really beautiful. I’m not a mage though – not yet at least. I’m still not sure what path to take and I don’t want to choose one and end up not liking it. Or becoming a hedgemage and limit my capabilities.” A blatant lie that would fall apart quickly if a mage investigated her while in Clara, but it should be convincing enough in a regular conversation.

“An enchanted glade? I always wanted to visit one of those.” The bait had worked like a charm. Things were going smoothly. “I’ll certainly go visit it tomorrow or something. Where is it somewhere on this Island? And do they have the golden variants too? You know, as a druid, do you have any explanation why golden and silver trees can grow in the first place?” The last question was something that she had wondered about on occasions. Not that she expected a tobacco farmer to be able to answer that, but it certainly didn’t hurt to ask.

“You have Necromancers in Arios?” There was genuine surprise in her voice. She had heard about the Island having mages of all spheres, but she hadn’t expected them to actually have mages of all spheres. “But isn’t Necromancy illegal?” While it was a sphere as another, it generally was treated as something different from the other seven.

“It’s good to know I won’t land on the dinner plate.” She grinned at the Cether again. “For something other then scooping up some snacks for myself of course.”

Old May 29, 2008, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Former Staff

„Not a mage?“ the halfling asked incredulously. It seemed so strange. Almost everybody here was a mage, but then she was a mainlander, and mainlanders were always a bit strange. „You should become a druid then“, he suggested. „Just like me. Druids can grow plants. Druids can kill things – although I would never do that! – druids can heal people and talk to animals and even become animals. Druids can do pretty much anything. Elementalists just throw fireballs around and thaumaturgists do nothing but boring healing all brightening long.“

„I can take you to the glad“, he said. „Don’t really have anything to do. I’d unbind you as well and make you a druid myself, but I’m only an apprentice. Well, taking apprentice classes, really. No idea why golden and silver trees can grow though. For the same reason we have unicorns and dragons and man-eating plants and all that stuff I suppose. Maybe it has something to do with the gods as well. The gods are always involved in some way.“

He shrugged.

„I said I haven’t seen a necromancer yet. But it wouldn’t surprise me if there was one … somewhere. I mean, we have so many mages. I’m sure there’s a necromancer hiding somewhere and trying not to get caught and enjoying life here on this island, and death I suppose. Necromancers enjoy death, I think. They probably have dead husbands and wives and families as well. Necromancy’s illegal, yes, but I don’t think those necromancers care, if there are any on Arios.“
Old May 29, 2008, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mistress of Death

She lifted a finger. “Not yet a mage.” Fae generally inclined to become mages, just as the Arios population so it seemed. It was odd so many were able to be unbound, seeing how most of the ‘mainlander’ population was simply incapable of ever doing anything magic related. She wondered what would happen if you tried to unbind people that could be unbound successful on this Island. “Elementalists could probably do well in a garden. Shaping the earth according to their will and creating water and heat. Not as effective as Druids maybe, but each sphere has it’s uses. I must say, Druidism is among those that interests me most though. There’s a good chance I’ll go for that.”

“Take me to the glade now?” Just directions would have been nice, but a guide was even easier. “Heh, I was almost going to say ‘isn’t it too late for that’, but then I remembered that you people don’t sleep.” She grinned at the Halfling. “I’d certainly would want to see those silver and golden trees, but don’t worry about not being able to unbind me. I have enough Masters capable of teaching back Home.” Well, technically Toherro’s was one short for the next promotion, but how hard could it be to find one willing to help her out?

Amber knew of one Necromancer that was currently hanging around on the Island and the Cether was quiet right that she’s be hiding her craft. His comments on dead husbands and wives was a bit more… odd. In any case, time to take the subject away from Necromancy again. “And you have unicorns and dragons and man-eating plants here as well? Makes you wonder why you don’t have more visitors on this Island. Magic trees, animals and plants. What more would one want?” She was quite aware that it was not what he had meant, but it should work well enough to change the subject.

Old May 31, 2008, 04:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
Former Staff

„Awesome!“ The halfling could barely contain his excitement as Amber said that there was a good chance she’d go for druidism. “If you’ve become a druid, you need to visit me here again so that we can talk druidism. I’ll even show you my tobacco plantation, and maybe I’ll give you some of my tobacco for free as well!” He grinned.

“Sure. Never to let for a nice walk. It’s really hard to fill all those candlemarks with something useful if you don’t have to sleep, so every little distraction is welcome. It isn’t that far either. I just wish I were already an adept so that I could make a staff. Spending so much time trying to enter Clara really isn’t fun.” He sighed.

“How many masters do you have back home?” The halfling seemed to very curious about that. “Where are you from, again? I’m not sure if you’ve told me. People always say I talk to much that I don’t notice half the things they are telling me.” He made a face.

“Man eating plants, yes. I have one in my house. Well, it’s not exactly man eating. More like insect eating, although I could probably make one that was big enough to eat men if I were a better druid. Not that I would. Make a man-eating plant. I’m a nice halfling, and the only thing I really want to make is tobacco leaves that are as big as a man.”

“As to unicorns and dragons, maybe we have a few of those as well, but then I’ve never seen them. It was just a general comment, about dragons and unicorns existing for the same reason that silver trees exist. Something with the gods. Never said they were on this island. The dragons. Not the gods. Although Ioannes has probably never been here either.”

“I talk too much, don’t I?”

“Want to go right now? Or shall I see if I can find any food that we can take with us so that we can eat while we walk to the glade?”
Old May 31, 2008, 06:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mistress of Death

“If I ever become a Druid I’ll surely will. I’m not a smoker though, so there’s not much I can do with tobacco.” She grinned back. “And I think I know what you mean with Clara times. I’ve seen people spending so much time for just a simple spell. At least we Fae have the advantage that we can see the Arcane without the need for Clara. It’s a bit watered down from what I’ve heard, but it’s bound to be better then the regular bland world.” It was hard to imagine people couldn’t see things the same way she could.

When he asked her about her home she pondered for a moment what to answer. “I don’t know about the exact numbers, but with enough Fae flying around finding one that can teach you generally isn’t the problem. Finding one that wants to teach shouldn’t be that hard even if you’re willing to be a devoted student. And I’m from the Dolwoods. Could be that I forgot to mention that earlier.” Forgotten intentionally even as she preferred not mentioning things above having to lie.

“Tobacco leaves as big as a man? Can you still even smoke those? Or do you want to produce them for giants.” She didn’t mind the babbling all that much. He was going to save her the trouble of having to search the Island after all. Not that she imagined it would have been that difficult to locate it herself once the sun was back up. “Now is good. And I’m not that hungry so you don’t have to bring any food for me.” She had eaten just a few hours ago, just before she left.

Old June 6, 2008, 03:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Former Staff

„What a pity!“ The halfling sighed, disappointed that she didn’t seem to have any interest in one of his favourite pastimes. „You don’t know what you are missing! There’s nothing better than a good smoke and a mug full of ale!“

„You can see the Arcane?“ He nearly forgot that he was disappointed as she said that. „Wow. What does the world look like to you? Can you detect spells? Would you be able to tell if I decided to cast a spell right now?“

„Dolwoods?“ he asked. „Never been there. What’s it like? Is it all woods? Must be boring, living in a forest. I mean, I’m a druid and everything, but I still find forests boring. Much more fun if you have people to talk to and stuff to do and shops and taverns and all those things!“

„I could hack the gigantic tobacco into small pieces, I suppose. Although I like your suggestion about selling them to giants! There must be some giants that smoke even if most of them are horrible barbarians and would rather eat halflings than enjoy tobacco.“

He babbled on and on and on and was just about to tell her about his mother when he noticed that she had said „Now is good.“ – about five minutes ago. „Oh“, he made. „Well, come with me then. Shall I tell you a story? About my mother who has a tavern back in Prime and my uncle who nearly slew a dragon and the troll who stole our cow and how my little cousin killed him?“

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Arios at night wasn’t a particularly dangerous place. In some areas of Vortex you’d be murdered as soon as you left your house if you dared to be out after dark, but here the only danger came from drunk people at a party. Another good thing about Arios was that Amber didn’t feel tired. It took the halfling a while to take her to the enchanted glade. The distance from the party was only part of the reason. The little guy was just talking too much! He seemed to be intent on telling her the entire story of his race!

„Here we are!“ he finally said. „Enchanted Glade. Straight ahead.“ The trees of Arios were green (and red and yellow in autumn) just like the trees in the rest of the Empire, but the trees in front of them shimmered in silver and gold, beautiful, bright colors. In their middle was a clearing. The trees almost seemed to protect it, to shelter it. Their branches almost reached the ground.

A deer stood there. It didn’t run away, even as it saw Amber and the halfling, but looked at them from out of deep brown eyes, entirely unafraid. There was something strangely peaceful about the scene. It didn’t seem to be from this world, and for the first time the halfling was quiet, as if he too had felt that this was a special place.
Old June 7, 2008, 07:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Mistress of Death

“My body doesn’t seem to agree with your love of smoke and alcohol however. The first always makes me cough and irritate my throat and the second makes me dizzy with even a small amount.” She had flew through pipe smoke before and she’d tried a bit of wine on one occasion as well.

“You could compare our senses best with a watered down version of Clara, but then with all five senses. You can recognize some basic things like spells and such, but you can’t reach the Planes. The Dolwoods are a giant forest. It’s got some magical properties as well though. It seems to shift now and then and it grows faster trees should. It’s a nice place, though a lot of trees and wood of course. There should be an enchanted Glade somewhere near Natura as well, but I’ve never been there.”

She listened to more of his babbling, answering questions where needed, wondering if he planned to take her now or not. She wasn’t in a hurry though, so she endured his blabbering for now without being annoyed too much by it. It was nice to do something completely different then her usual tasks even.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

His family history didn’t really interest her, so she mainly kept herself to affirming nods now and then, letting the stream of words pass her by. When they finally arrived, his silence seemed to make the Glade even more mysterious then it already was. She flew up to the branches to have a closer look at the marvel. The presence of the deer barely struck her as that odd. Animals generally didn’t flee if Fae approached, certainly not the larger ones.

Closed Thread