Old January 14, 2008, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Former Staff

Prism is an upstanding Citizen
[Location] Wild River Outdoor Supplies

Wild River Outdoor Supplies
For all your Outdoor needs
There is no surprise that on an island with so much woods that an supply shop like this one exists. From the outside it looks a little bigger than most of the houses on the island. It has a roofed deck on the outside with a handful of rocking chairs and is often seen holding an old Katta and an old ratta playing some sort of board game on a table between the two chairs. They look up at guests with a nod before making their next move. Clearly they are friends as they shake hands whenever one wins. The loser has to set up the game again.

On the roof of the building is a triangular sign that reads “Wild River Outdoor Supplies” on it. Below the large bold lettering was painted a river with two trees on either side of it. There were also a few canoes outside of the building and a couple of man-pulled wagons.

Inside the building are racks and shelves full of supplies such as ropes, packs, cooking kits as well as individual pots and pans, tarps, tents and outdoor clothing. There are also a few canoes held on the walls as well. Everything that one could possibly imagine was either on display or in the back. A guest of the store was almost immediately greeted by an average sized Dorin. “Serale, need some supplies?” he asked walking his customer through the store. “Tell me about the trip you plan to take, I’ll make sure you have everything you could ever want.”

Quote:
This location can be self-moderated
Secrets :

NPC:
Name: Daw-ta
Race: Dorin
Description: Average looking dorin with dark brown fur
Demeanour: Very helpful, a real salesmen who pushes customers to buying something but rarely pushes too far.

Name: Tawm
Race: Katta; Pantheri
Description:. Old and starting to slouch, often just sits down. Fur is black but seems drying and rough.
Demeanour: Kidder, often at someone expense but all in good humour.

Name: Va
Race: Rodenti; Mousai
Description: Four feet tall, though seems less as is often slouched over some. Large eyes and red-brown fur.
Demeanour: Not very talkative, more of an observer.

Old January 26, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Adventurer

Seth Lavryl is an upstanding Citizen
Fifth Brightening of the Second Cycle,
Month of Ioannes, Summer Era XIV

Seth walked into the Wild River Outdoor Supplies with a small skip in his step, a smile hugging the corners of his lips, and a firm grasp of the doorknob that opened up a realm of new opportunities before him. He was garbed in the same drab clothing he’d arrived in; but clothing was inconsequential given what it was he was after. Travelling supplies. He wanted to spend a few days out in the wilderness, really get a feel for Arios, and determine for himself what it would be like on a real hunting trip. Not the usual same critters or pests running around Trysvale… that was for certain.

“Serale!” he spoke up cheerfully as the Dorin greeted him, hands digging into his pockets as he pulled out a small crumpled piece of papyrus and a charcoal stick. He shoved the piece of charcoal back in. “I had a list here I was wonderin’ if ya could help me with. I’m plannin’ a huntin’ trip up into the northern parts of the island. Reckon ye might know a few good places?” he asked with a feral grin, handing the papyrus over to the Dorin before walking over to the counter to wait. His fingers drummed along the edges.

It read:

Tent, Small x1
Bedroll x1
Mess Kit x1
Oil Lantern x1
Flint & Tender x1
Backpack, medium x1
Frying Pan x1
Iron Pot, Small x1
Cutlery Set x1
Flask x2

Seth was rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly when the Dorin finished reading. “I’d also like to see about getting’ some rations from ya, ‘bout seven brightening worth?” he queried in a light tone. He only expected to spend three out there, but better safe than sorry.

Or hungry, for that matter.

Glimpse into the realm of the unknown.

For all concerned: Posting is slow. Very slow.
Old January 28, 2008, 06:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Former Staff

The Dorin looked at the man as he entered the shop. He had been wrapping some rope together and quickly set it down to go to the customer. He could tell right away that this man was not from around Arios, it wasn’t the clothing, and it wasn’t the his mannerisms that would give him away. He knew the moment that he seen the boys face that he was not from Arios simply because he didn’t know his name. HE held out his hand for the newcomer who didn’t present himself with a name. He wasn’t the type of Dorin to pry for something are trivial as a name.

Serale there Tom, names Daw-ta” he offered his name and he shook Seths hand, assuming that he would indeed shake the hand. Seth probably hadn’t been in Arios long enough to notice that the locals gave strangers the simple name of Tom whenever they didn’t know their name. “Ah yes, what are you hunting for would be the first question I have” he said pulling out a hand drawn map of the island. He quickly pointed to one area to the north “this has plenty of deer. A very good spot for hunting, they seem to populate even faster than the woods here” he laughed as he looked at the list.
Secrets :

Tent (small) – 35 crowns
Bedroll – 15 crowns
Mss Kit – 10 crowns
Lantern – 6 crowns
Flint&Tender – 7 crowns
Backpack (medium) – 13 crowns
Frying Pan, Pot, Cutlery Set – 6 crowns
Flask/Cup x2 – 2 crowns
Rations x7 – 7 crowns

It’s 101 crowns for what you want…We do have all these things but there I don’t think you’ll be in much need of a bedroll now eh? Arios is the island that doesn’t sleep. Unless you got some know-how that I haven’t a clue about. A tent would be good though, heavy rains aren’t good to be standing in, nope not at all. Which brings me to a small suggestion, perhaps a waterproof outfit?” He scratched his head for a moment. He then pulled something out from behind the counter. “Might want to interest you I this too eh?” he asked offering it to the boy. It looked simple, paper crumbled into a ball with some twigs in it.

Helps you light a fire easier. Woods in most parts of Arios can be quite damp with wood. Tell you what. I’ll give you 5 for a single crown. It can’t hurt to be safe. Don’t want to have your meat and not be able to eat cook it! I have maps for sale too, but you’re getting enough stuff, good to see a hunter that has some brains I always say! I’ll throw it in for no charge. Made it myself."
Old January 28, 2008, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Adventurer

Seth took a liking to the Dorin almost immediately.

“Seth,” he returned, familiar with the local greeting and name that seemed to come attached to it in a hand basket. A feral smile lit his features as he leaned across the counter, interest piqued, elbows coming to rest on the corners as he hunched his shoulders over and tried to catch a glimpse of the map the Dorin had brought out. Obviously, the man knew his way about the isle a bit. Readjusting the crumbled piece of paper he’d handed the Dorin earlier and sliding it out of his way on the counter, Seth examined the map with interest with Daw-ta laid it down for him, and nodded his head silently at the prospect of venison housed up on the northern reaches of the island.

“I’ve heard Arios is a wonderful place for hunters. I hope I don’t disappoint,” he glanced up with a rueful grin. Although this would be his first ‘big-time’ hunting trip, as Francis had put it when Seth had tossed him the keys to look after his house and Ajax, Seth would be damned if he advertised it to anyone. No, he might not be a local, but he sure had a knack for putting on airs and the illusion of knowing precisely what he was getting himself into.

“Aaye, I forgot,” he shook his head; he’d been in the isle for at least a day now – or was it more? the lack of sleep sure did perturb his memory and ache his mind – and the unnatural concept still kept him uneasy. The bright side of this would be that he’d be able to hunt continuously, a full twenty-four hours a day, with only small pauses for rest and nourishment. That concept, for no real particular reason, thrilled him beyond belief.

“Thank ya kindly,” he spoke, taking the small crumpled ball of papyrus and dried twigs. It was always good to have insight on the type of wood in the forest; and at least Daw-ta had ensured he wouldn’t go cold for five nights. Fishing into his pocket, he pulled out a crumbled hundred-crown bank note and added an additional gold coin atop of that. It glimmered meekly in the light streaming through the windows. “Thank ya for the map as well,” he spoke as Daw-ta began to collect some of the items he’d requested. Drumming his fingers atop the counter ridge, he paused for a moment to ask some serious questions that had been nagging him. “I reckon ya probably have heard this a hundred times, but is there really mythical beasts out there? In those woods yonder? Anythin' I should be worried about?” he asked, lifting up a hand and pointing his thumb back over his shoulder where the wilderness broke. A portion of it, at least.

Old January 29, 2008, 06:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Former Staff

The Dorin nodded his head after hearing the name of the mainlander. “Daw-ta” he introduced himself. He examined the lad for a few moments though not in an obvious way. He gathered everything that was needed and set it on the counter. It was rare to see new people on Arios but everybody seemed to be glad that they were indeed coming back. Seth, the one standing in front of him was one f the first and it seemed that he was going to take part in a fine Ariosan sport, hunting.

Indeed it is. I’m not much of a hunter myself to be honest” his upper lip rolled up in a smirk which incidentally showed his sharp teeth. “I’m more of an adventurer, a traveler around there parts. I’ve seen most of the island but it never seems to seize to amaze me. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders but be warned lack of sleep can have an effect on folks like you so be careful.” he warned honestly. He wasn’t trying to frighten Seth by any means but he also knew how dangerous the woods can be.

The Dorin took the coin and bank note and held it up. “Don’t see much of these ‘round here” he laughed as he out it in a drawer behind the counter that he had returned to now that his patron was taken care of. He leaned over the map that had been his own work and nodded. “Define mythical good sir and I will be more than happy to answer your question. I remember some mainlanders talk of unicorns being mythical but to us they are just a part of our culture

He paused for a moment and nodded “Yes, be wary of this hill” he said his large nailed finger pointing at the place that Seth had already been to. The Shadow hill. “They are head hunters there boy. They are not as bad and some people in Arios make ‘em out to be...but they aren't nice either. If half the people here found out you were in cahoots with them, well, ya might be better off being one of their necklaces.” His voice was not in a happy manner of these people, it was full of hate.

You’ll want to watch out for her” drew an invisible line to the north of Arios. “If you are going North you will want to be careful as there are Ursidae along that boarder. They are mean and grouchy, don’t sleep like all the other beasts on Arios. You’ll find some cougars up on these mountains and near them so if you are heading that way be prepared.” He paused for a few moments “You never did tell me what you were hunting for. I can draw you a path the safest way to go if you want. Sure beats pointing out the dangers. Not that they stay only to those areas.

Last edited by Prism; January 29, 2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old January 30, 2008, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Adventurer

A small smirk spread across Seth’s own lips as he returned Daw-ta’s. “An adventurer, eh? I reckon there aren’t too many of those around Trysvale. Do ya know how many brightenin’s it takes to cross the island, south to north?” Seth asked. Some sort of distance compared to time would give him a neat idea of just how long, and how big, he was looking at. He tucked away the warning about the lack of sleep with a firm and resolute nod. He seemed to be giving a lot of those these days. Still, Seth appreciated the heads up. He had made some temporary plans to break camp often and rest as much as he felt like he needed; the last thing he wanted was weariness beleaguering his senses in the middle of the wilderness. Especially one was uncharted and foreign to his as the Ariosian Forest would be.

A slight chill ran down his spine at the thought.

“Mythical…um…” Seth scratched the back of his neck sheepishly, smirk vanishing as he contemplated just what he did mean by the tossed word. “I suppose I mean anythin’ dangerous or unnatural. Ya know. Fancy beasts and all that,” he mumbled, a little bit uncertain himself of what the island had to offer in such terms. Seth was a loose cannon, sure, but the last thing he wanted to do was to walk unexpecting into a well-planned ambush by some conniving, clever little beast that would fell him like leaves to a machete. It’d be a whole lot more gruesome, too, come to think of it.

A slight nauseating feeling enveloped him as he saw Daw-ta point to the hill he’d already visited, and describe the tribesmen he’d met as vicious uncivil brutes with a penchant for…cannibalism? Of sorts? “Head hunters huh?” Seth asked hesitantly, nervous chuckle creeping up again. “How long ya reckon they’ve been there?” he asked with good faith, eyebrows mildly raised in a show of mock surprise he felt cleverly attributed to this unforeseen dilemma that unraveled before his very eyes. Shaking his head, he leaned forward more, hunching his shoulders to get a better look at where the Dorin drew the invisible line.

“Well, I’m not really huntin’ for anythin’ in particular. Figured I’d just wait and see what fate offered me. But I do have one more question. What are the, um, Ursidae?” he asked, entirely unsure if he pronounced the foreign name correctly or not, but more or less eager to learn more about this strange word and the connotations behind it.

Old January 31, 2008, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Former Staff

The dorin shrugged his shoulders “Can’t say I’ve been to Trysvale. Only place other than this island that I’ve been to was to…what was it called? Paca or something like that. Heard rumor that they fell onto hard times. Can’t say that I enjoyed the place to much, I felt the urge to sleep almost all the time. Not used to it you see” he realized he was rambling and stopped and cleared his throat. “Can’t say that I’ve ever walk from one end to the other straight to be honest…been more of an adventure seeker, riding the waters, climbing the cliffs. Not a big fan of water, stay away from the sea as much as I can” he laughed.

Dangerous? Cougars are mighty dangerous around these parts. They stock around and leap out when you least expect it. They are a grouchy bunch. I heard stories that even some druids had a hard time calming one down enough so they didn’t get eaten…I think he lost a finger that brightening. Might be related events” he paused thinking for a moment then shook his head. “Sorry, it’s not like me to ramble this much. There are lots of dangers, be on the look out all the time.

The dorin scratched his chin “Can’t rightfully say…a while I guess. Ask them they’ll say they’re native to the island. Can’t blame em though, they didn’t learn any better. If ya’ asked me I’d say they came shortly after Arios was discovered, They have been here a long time, longer than anyone can remember anyway. Dangerous bunch, you’ll know them when you see them though. Just like a shadow they are. Their eyes are even darker than white, a dark yellow. Something strange about them, can’t say everything about thems true though. We have a treaty where they don’t bother us and we don’t bother them. They listen…as far as I know anyway

There was something in the way he spoke that would fill Seth in immediately to his dislike for the people that he had already met. He didn’t trust them, it was clear enough but there was something else about it…something personal.

Ursidae…they are bears, big bears. Fur like a porcupine and 7 feet tall when on all fours, minimum. They are deadly, I’ve only ever seen one and it was busy eating a moose. They aren’t like other bears boy, they like meat. I’m no expert on animals, just which ones to stay away from. You be careful eh? Don’t want nothing happening to our visitors” he was sincere in his thoughts.
Old February 1, 2008, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Adventurer

“Paca huh? Never heard o’ it,” Seth confessed with a disappointed shrug of his shoulders. Maybe he could look it up later. Yes… he was rather certain one of the libraries in Trysvale or Archadoon would have something like that in it. He’d have to remember to check when he got back to the mainland, which would be a trial in and of itself, but he was certain he could find something about the place on it. Who knew, maybe he could go visit it too, lend a hand or something, if Daw-ta was right about the town not doing so well.

“So I need to look out for cougars, headhunters, and Ursidae,” he spoke, leaning forward again and hunching his shoulders once more as he inspected the crudely drawn map he had been given. “Think ya could mark where all three of those are, so I know where to avoid ‘em?” he asked. Or find them, he thought. Although the Ursidae sounded like dangerous, mightily powerful beasts, he couldn’t help but picture felling such a thing as the highlight of his trip to Arios. Oh yes. He would kill one, have it properly skinned and the hide preserved into a rug of sorts, and maybe mount its head on a wall or something back at his home on the continent. He’d make a necklace of its claws and give it to the Chieftain. Things would go over nicely.

“Oh, one more thing before I head out,” Seth spoke, leaning up off the counter and walking around to where all his supplies had been arranged, beginning to stuff a few of them orderly into the backpack. “Do ya happen to know anyone who’d pay for some of those hides, if I brought ‘em back? Can always use the money, and I’d hate for anythin’ I brin’ down to go ta waste,” he asked sincerely, before latching the silver ring of the backpack through the leather loop and securing it tightly with a few fastening pulls.

Throwing it over his right shoulder, opposite of the bow on his left, Seth was the epitome of an adventurer now. He hung by the edge of the counter, waiting for any last parting words or tips from Daw-ta, before walking outside and squinting through the bright sunlight. He’d brave the wilderness once more.

Calling in through the doorway just as the door swung close, Seth chortled cordially, “If I ain’t back in four or five brightenin’s, send someone out to find m-”

The door swung shut, and he was well on his way.

Old February 4, 2008, 07:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Former Staff

Can’t be sure I’m saying the right name, went there with my father was just a boy” he shrugged not really caring about the mainlanders world but just trying to relate somewhat to Seth who was standing at his counter. It wasn’t actually Paca that he meant but another city that started with a P and ended with an A. The one thing that Seth could be sure about was that it must have been near the shore if an Ariosan went to visit it for a short time.

I can do that. But I will warn you again, they travel more than just these areas especially when they get hungry. Head-hunters separate, clans or something but this hill is a holy relic to them for some reason. Can’t say I can make heads-or-tails out of why, it just is. Many battles have been fought here and to the death. That’s fine with us though, if they want to get rid of themselves they can be our guests.” He didn’t laugh…he was seriously. “The others around shouldn’t be a problem. Like I said…they have an agreement with the town. Good thing too, if they could all manage to work together they would outnumber us easily and as you can see combat isn’t what we are trained in.

As he spoke he began circling things lightly and writing with beautiful script what was where. The cougars were mostly is cliff like areas and the Ursidae seemed to be near small pools of water. “The Urisdae like meat, they stay where meat will come to them and then attack. Dangerous beasts, smart even though they are angry. Only one was ever killed around here

Depends on who ya’ sell them to. Cougar pelts usually go for a nice price though what we consider a nice price might not be to the mainlanders. Gold coins had gone stagnant for a while here and so we depended more on trade of good or knowledge. I’m sure you’ll find some fair crowns if you so seek…if you were to bring the skin of the headhunters…your reward would likely be death.” It was a joke…but also the trurth. “The Ursidae, well, you’d have to be a fool to go after one and unlucky like nobody else to kill one. You’d have deal with moving the 3000 pound beast while skinning it and also with their prickly fur. I can’t give you any more warning than that about these things. Their fur is useless …” there were uses for the bodies that Daw-Ta didn’t mention. “If you find one, don’t let it see you. If it sees you running is your only chance, and it’s not a very good one. Even though they are big, they’re still fast. They want meat, playing dead will only get you eaten

The dorin sighed, he felt he knew what the boy was going to do…he’d be the one collecting his body and he knew it.
Old August 29, 2008, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Citizen

Reinus Narcisse is unknown and forgotten
Time StampPontius, in the Season of Winter, Era I of the Celestine Mandate, Era XV Post Fractum

Reinus rubbed his eyes and sighed. He thought the person at the Docks told him this would be his new home. It looked more like a shop of some sort, but he held his tongue. It would be rude if he walked back and said he didn't want it.

Yes, he had forgotten that his house was around the corner rather than the shop itself.

"Excuse me, but do I live here?"
Closed Thread