Old June 7, 2005, 01:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Citizen

Xine is an upstanding Citizen
Xine's Pad

OOC: Lordy, your calender is very confusing... Umm, Summer of Era II, First brightening of Cryxatum, very early morning?

Xine packed the last of the mud, heaved one final sigh, and took a step back to look at his new log cabin.

Oh, it was a glorious thing! The lingering smell of pine sap and old mud surrounded the 1 story building, the fresh gravel leading up to the doorstep, the glint of the sunrise off of the peaked roof, the light bushes and weeds that surrounded this sactuary of wonder, all elevated the cabin's natural state! Truely, this was the domicile of the gods!

... Okay, it was a piece of crap. But it was HIS piece of crap, and no one else's! Xine finally had his own place to work and eat and party without his older sister's whoring, his parents screaming or his younger sibling's playing interfering with the young man's very, very important work! Goofing off was more straining then they knew!

'Still,' Thought Xine as he peeked inside the cramped building 'It sure is quiet... Not used to being in a building without ANY people in it, other then me. Kinda creepy.'

The building was very sparse, just a fire pit, a couch (no need for beds here), a table with a few chairs, all resting on a dirt floor.

Xine took one last look around, and then closed the door. If he was going to stay here for long, he'd need a job...
Old June 12, 2005, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Former Staff

Bushido is an upstanding Citizen
OoC: This is somewhat of an introduction to the island I suppose, if you don't know about the everyday life of the island yet.

IC: Moments after Xine had seated himself in his newly acquired home, his own place, someone knocked at the door. It was a soft knock, as if it wasn't meant to disturb the habitant of the house, however it clearly did. A moment of silence followed the knock and then a voice followed up, "Hello there Xine, this is Argwurn, your parents send me to check up on you and make sure you don't miss your sleeping sessions! Could you let me in?" a gentle and friendly voice adressed him. Even if Xine had hoped for his parents to let him go, it certainly seemed like they were going to try and keep a hold upon him by sending this stranger, this Argwurn to check up on him.
Old June 12, 2005, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Citizen

OOC: I know about the day of sleep and everything. Everyday life... work during the day, party at night, right?

IC: The silence was both blessed and erriely unfamiliar. Xine just wanted a few moments to appricate what had happed, to adapt. And then that horrid knock came, and the voice along with it. So much for a little peace and quiet. "Diana on a stick..." Grumbled Xine irately, slowly rising from the couch to open the door. He glared cooly at the man on the other end of the doorway. "You know, I have 16 other brothers and sisters that are waaaay more trouble then I am. Like my sister, Mika, you should go see here. Did I mention she's a whore? She's the town horse, everyone's had a ride! Needs lots of counciling, you see, so you should just scamper off now..."
Old June 14, 2005, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Former Staff

The tone was set with the grumpy reply from Xine's side, as well as the rather rude words that were used by the young child. The man that belonged to the voice that had called out to him moments before had the looks of being a druid of some sort and had a kind and friendly face. His face turned slightly more serious though as he answered Xine, "I do not care about your brothers or sisters, and I would prefer you keep your family matters to your own. I will not take a 'scamper off' from you and I will tell you about what you must know..." he placed a hand on the door as he finished his first part of the preach. He made sure it wouldn't be closed by what little strength Xine had in his arms by forcing it open totally and then pushing Xine back slightly by stepping into the doorstep.

"You will present yourself at the local camp down the path to the right in six brightenings for your sleeping session. Whether or not you like it or think you can decide what is best for your own now that you live on your own, we shall decide when you sleep and how long because we do not want any of our inhabitants to go mad and crazy just because they don't like the sessions. You always struggled when your parents took you to the sessions so that's why I'm here, to make certain you know about the session and visit it, or else we'll have to force you.. is that clear?" he said as he returned out of the doorstep again moving away from Xine and his house slowly. Freedom wasn't as great as they talked it up to be, there were still responsibilities and restrictions, this was obviously one of them. The gentle man that approached his house in the beginning turned out to be a stern and strict adult.. just like most of them.
Old June 16, 2005, 04:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Citizen

Fwah? Camps? Sessions? What the hell was this guy talking about? Xine wasn't at all impressed with the man's intimidation attempt. His fingers fled to the comfort of the knife handle that hung neatly in his back pocket, just in case this whole 'parents' thing was an excuse for robbing him. The youth readied his family-patented manuiver gracefully refured to as 'Kick-to-the-balls-and-stab-to-the-face' that had served him oh so well during the years. Nobody was touchin' HIS hard-eared goods!

And then the man left, leaving Xine very confused. This seemed to have something to do with the annual day of sleep. Every Lunaria a priest came around to bless the homes of the populus, and everybody had a nice long nap to keep their sanity. It was a prime day for getting even for pranks played during the day, so things around the family hovel were always a little tense, at least until most of the other brothers and sisters were kicked out. Things were remarkably quiet during the last year or two... What was this all about?

Well, Xine decided it would be a good idea to check up with the town guard before he started laying out the deathtraps. Xine gathered his money, just in case, and walked outside, locking the door behind him. Time to talk to the Fuzz...

Take on the Savage side of nature. Review Flesh Magic
Old June 20, 2005, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Former Staff

Walking away from his home, Xine could see the distant shapes of the buildings in the distance, it was the village he had settled quite close to. Even though there was always the possibility of walking into family, it was a lesser risk then when he still lived home, now no one would know that he was in this particular village and thus couldn't decide to bother him on the way or while there. It was a rather pleasant day with a nice breeze going through his hair and lightly through his clothing as he got closer to the village, noticing one of the local guards that stood the closest to this side of the entrance of the village. It was one of the local self-pronounced guards, Cedric, who was also a lower-political figure, and a stand-in cook at the local inn. A lot of people did a lot of things on the island since there weren't that many people around in town. His cooking was probably where he was at best, and he was a horror at speaking eloquently. Guarding he was pretty decent at, he could notice people that weren't supposed to be somewhere, acting on it was a bit more difficult though, he wasn't much of a fighter. He greeted Xine with a friendly gesture with his hand as Xine approached. "Serale!" he said as the young lad got even closer.
Old June 22, 2005, 04:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Citizen

OOC: I thought there was only one village on Arios, but oh well.

IC: "Yeah, Serale to you too, Cedric." Said Xine as he came up the path with a wave of his hand. This was a pretty nice day. Pity he had to spend it investigating psychos. "Say, have you heard of a loon by the name of Argwurn? He came by my cabin this morning and started threatening me."

Old June 29, 2005, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Former Staff

OoC: There is a main city, where most of the people live, but there are suburbs and such as well, and they are considered smaller villages in the outskirts of another village.

IC: "Threatening you? That can't be right, Argwurn is a highly respected druid that helps with the sleeping ritual around here. Are you sure that it was him? I know he can be kind of harsh against you kids but I doubt he would walk around threatening you all of sudden..." Cedric answered with a worried face as he seemed to ponder both about the fact if Argwurn would at all do such a thing and on the other hand about what this young lad could have done to anger Argwurn and thus make him threaten the kid if it was true. "Perhaps you just misinterpreted his words and he was just a bit grouchy? He is very strict and wants everyone to know and never forget the importance of the ritual, for without it, we would have all gone insane for sure! And that would have meant the end of our wonderful quiet and peaceful society secluded from the rest of the empire... so just be sure to visit it..." he added before Xine could even answer if Argwurn had indeed been threatening him or not. Another grown-up explaining him what he had heard his whole life already and knew as well as any other inhabitant of Arios. Of course, he hadn't seen a group of humans gone mad after not sleeping for many months, Argwurn had.
Old July 2, 2005, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Citizen

OOC: Suburbs in a village of 250? That seems a little... unlikely. I mean, you don't have suburbs in modern towns of 250 (I think towns that small are unincorperated). I can picture scattered groups of houses with the owners belonging to a paticular profession (Lumberjacks, fishermen) but not nearly enough to make up a seperate district, or even another village. From the city profile to the overview to the short discription, the feel I get is 'Very Small fishing/lumber village with lots of Mages'.

I donno. Was the discription updated somewhere to make it bigger? I started my Character here because it was tiny and isolated, rather then start at the bigger cities. No offence ment, but what you're potraying seems to contradict pretty much everything I've read and pictured about the island.

Last edited by Xine; July 2, 2005 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old July 3, 2005, 07:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Former Staff

OoC: The overview is outdated, around a thousand people were supposed to live on Arios the last time I did a background check. It has just been neglected so much since almost no PC lives on the island. And fortunate as you are, you must have already read the fact that the Eunesian Islands will be closed, so there won't be much of a chance of beginning in a tiny and isolated environment. All PC's will be deported to a province close-by, unless you have a specific city/province in mind that could/would suit you best then we might be able to work something out as well. Next to that, there were also plans about a different town on Arios but since, like I stated above, rarely any PC comes to Arios, it was all pushed back and kept in the discussion fase rather then the actual development fase. Now, I hope that clears it up for you, and everything I'm potraying is definetely not in contradiction to what the island is about. It's just that you got your information from an outdated overview that perhaps may have made it seem that way. Anyway, it might be a good thing to think about where you would be wanting to go, since you cannot stay on Arios because of the imminent closure of the Eunesian Islands. I suggest we continue along with this thread and you PM me about where you would like yourself to go and I'll see if it could be done in a logical way.

On a side-note, comparing it with modern towns, as in those in real-life is not a very good thing to do. For most of the countries in the real world have not enough room for the people to live in large mansions and with large gardens and such. Whilst on Arios, everyone made sure they had a fancy home and a good amount of acres to work on, since they couldn't depend too much on merchants with whom they very rarely traded. So, even a town of 250 people, could be stretched over a quite an area, thus there could be different sections as you stated, even though they wouldn't neccesarily be based upon professions. A walk from one side of the village, or town if you would, to the other side, could well take up to a candlemark. But like stated, it shouldn't be just 250 people, but a bit more.

Last edited by Bushido; July 5, 2005 at 08:15 AM.
Closed Thread