Old March 28, 2005, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Famous

Edward van Hagen is an upstanding Citizen
A stranger washed ashore...

OoC: I've been away for a while, and I've worked this story out at the Helpdesk so please read up there and whatever has been changed at my SoF-thread. The main thing is, I am back and ready for the world of Aelyria once again. For story-purposes I didn't directly start in the town of Arios, instead I leave it up to one of the moderators of Arios to decide where I end up.

IC:

Hour 14 of Ioannolia, Brightening 3 of the First Cycle of Aperitus
Summer of Era II of the Celestine Mandate
Era IX Post Fractum in the Age of the Darkening, the Mageocracy of Julos the Mad
Paradigm: During the schism in the Church of the Faith

“Owww… my head…never again…” Edward grunted out to himself as he spit out the seemingly endless supply of sand that had made itself home inside of his mouth and lungs. Still not having his eyes opened properly he turned over, to lie on his back instead of his stomach, looking at the sky as he laid there on his back. The weather was great, not a single cloud in the sky. “What happened… where am I?” Edward spoke out loud, pretty sure that there wasn’t anyone else on this deserted stretch of sand. He looked around and confirmed his presumptions, it was deserted and there was no one else beside him. He tried to remember how he got here in the first place, not wanting to think too much about where this here was to begin with. His memory was pretty clouded but he could make out some vague things.

They were sent off by some of the local sailors on a ship. It was the Seagull, Edward’s first ship under his command, with an actual crew. They were to go to Jaedaxia for some reason he just couldn’t remember. But before they reached the safe haven they were overwhelmed by a storm, yes a storm it was. It was if the devil itself attacked their boat, and for all Edward could remember there could have been some sea dragon’s involved as well, at least his head hurt bad enough for it to be true. The last thing he could clearly remember was Alexander shouting at him to hold on like there was no next brightening; it was pretty obvious to Edward that that probably hadn’t worked.

How long had he been here, and more importantly where were the others or the Seagull? He couldn’t tell really, there were no signs of debris anywhere at the shore, except for a loose plank, perhaps he had drifted to this shore using that particular plank, then he definitely owed it one. Slowly, Edward got up to his feet and took a closer look at himself. His clothes were tarnished, even though he could still make out that it was his naval outfit, if only barely. He still had his necklace on, his father’s memento of which he would never part; it seemed that fate itself did not want it to part with him as well, for he had nothing else left. No cutlass, no pouch, no nothing.

He walked forwards towards the water, as he saw something shimmering in the water. A few crowns were floating in the water, constantly being pulled back and pushed forward against the shores by the waves. Then it caught his eye, there was a small bag just on the sand and out of reach of the waves. He picked it up and opened it, a lucky break after all, crowns aplenty were inside, easily making up two-thousand crowns in total. It was something, even though it could very well mean nothing if it was to turn out that he was on a deserted island with no shops or bars to buy food or clothing.

This brought him to his next point on his agenda, to start moving and find out where he was. “I guess I’ll just start walking inwards and see if there are any paths that take me somewhere… anywhere…” he mumbled to himself as he turned around, making sure that there wasn’t anything left between the minimal amount of debris. His head was still a bit groggy and his feet weren’t doing exactly what he wanted them to do, but he managed to walk forward in sort of a straight line into what seemed to be a forest. As he got closer to the forest entry he placed one of his hands in the last remaining, and still functioning pocket his outfit still had and felt that something was still inside, it was his harmonica. He could still remember playing it while on-board, but for obvious reasons he wasn’t all too clear on how to play it, nor did he have any interest to play it right now.

Leaving the deserted shore behind him, he entered the forest, keeping his eyes open for any paths that would provide him with a possible lead to the nearest stronghold of modern civilization…

Last edited by Edward van Hagen; July 2, 2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old April 5, 2005, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Former Staff

Chef is a benevolent Adventurer
Life! Sweet glorious life!

The fates were indeed kind to Edward, for it did not take him very long at all to stumble across a well-worn path between the underbrush. Brown earth mixed with woodchips provided a hard yet surprisingly buoyant surface on which to travel across, the track bent only when there was a tree to cross its path and curved gently away behind him, but turned at a steep angle before him. The great trees of Arios seemed happy to let him pass, their leaves rustling gently in a summer breeze; it was perhaps surreal to be washed from his nightmarish adventure and land in a practical paradise. Taking the proffered path destiny had kindly dropped through the dense forest it was only a matter of time before Edward could hear the thump thump of feet running lightly across the compacted leaves and woodchips. At last! The island was certainly not deserting, and these were not the sound of hostile natives running to spear Edward to a horrible second death, for there was the distinct sound of giggling and laughter.

Waiting, or running towards the sound yielded the same result. From the steep turned corner before him came a good double dozen men, women, and children. At the head of them ran a shaggy looking Lionoid, clothed in equally shaggy and yet impeccably clean looking brown cotton. Behind him ran the source of the laughter and merriment, a good dozen children skipped and dashed upon the path, their older siblings, relatives, or older friends ran behind them slightly more absorbed in the activity of their running. Coming upon Edward the entire group came to a halt, they looked wary of him, the children hiding behind the adults and the adults behind the katta. Whilst clearly fearful it would not do for Edward to scare these people any further he would deem, for they were clearly athletic, their lithe limbs showing clear sign of impossibly chiselled muscle. Among them was a fae, a sprite to be more exact. He was crouched upon the ground scribbling furiously in the dirt, from here it could not be seen what he was doing but it was obvious from the way those around him created a little shield it might not be in Edwards best interest.

The katta raised a hand to still the sprite momentarily as he approached Edward at a slight job, as if he could never quite just walk. The runners looked on with curiosity and dread, Edward really did look an eyesore.
"Serral strranjr, what brrings you herr?"
The imposing Katta's word rolled perfectly off the tongue, his languid manner a stark contrast to that of his companions. Where was he?
Old April 5, 2005, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Famous

The apparent embrace of the forest towards Edward was a kind sight indeed, especially after the slightly vague, but still very live memory of the storm that caused him to be thrown overboard and eventually washed ashore at this place. The path that showed itself to Edward, led him deeper into the forest which didn't bring back any pleasant memories. The only time he had wandered off into a forest before caused him to be attacked by multiple awkward beings that haunted his dreams for many brightenings afterwards. However, this forest was different, it felt warm, kind, gentle, as if there was no need to be on his guard at all, fortunately for the young human, he didn't have anything to be on guard with as well. When he dropped overboard he lost his cutlass, he couldn't remember if he dropped it before he fell or lost it at sea, he hoped the first, then perhaps one brightening he could get it back. All of that was of no concern to Edward now though.

A noise disturbed the mesmerized state in which Edward found himself inside of the seemingly enchanted forest, as he shook his head and blinked his eyes twice to focus on the path ahead of him. People were coming, and by the sound of it, lots of them. His eyes wandered across the mob of people and saw humans, dozens he counted in the haste of it all, together with a katta and a fae. Edward wasn't the kind of person to have prejudices about any race of any sort of person, as a matter of fact, he had never seen a fae before in his whole life, and the only katta he knew was Torlov, a fellow recruit in the Academy, he once called him a friend... but Torlov had probably already forgotten Edward, as had Edward done to Torlov now that he thought about it, the promotions hadn't been the best help in keeping friends in the lower rankings. The fae started to do something that Edward could only describe as something in the direction like Lothar had once done, while they were on a rescue mission to save some recruits, but he never bothered to ask about it again, he only knew that it greatly affected the outcome of the battle for things started to happen that Edward could have only called supernatural.

Then, the Lionoid walked forward and adressed Edward, finally the silence was broken. What indeed was Edward doing here? And where was here in the first place? "I... I... I was washed ashore, at the beach not far from here. I was caught in a storm before that but I don't remember how exactly I ended up here, I'm just thankful that I still live. So, to tell the truth, I do not know what I am doing here, as a matter of fact, I don't even know where here is..." he answered, as he tried to think as hard as he could to think in what region he could be, they were headed for Jaedaxia, but his geographical knowledge was nothing near up to date to even make a guess. He then gestured in what he believed to be a kind way of showing that he meant no harm, opening his arms, and spreading them to both his sides, palms faced up as, "I guess I'm looking for a place to try and remember what exactly happened and how I got here and then... and then find a way back.. I suppose..." he continued, still not sure if there was at all a way back, nor if that way back was anything to look forward to. He could do naught but await if these people could help him with trying to remember more or if they could at least help him get some shelter until it would come back to him in a natural manner, perhaps a dream, that was all he could hope for at the moment.

Oh no! He had done it again, quickly, almost stumbling over his own words he added, "Oh! My name is Edward van Hagen, forgive my manners, I think I still have some sand inside my head from laying on the beach for I don't know how long..", he smiled, even though he was rather annoyed with himself, he always seemed to have the habit to explain a whole situation before even properly introducing himself first. It wasn't something big, but it irritated him nevertheless.
Old April 6, 2005, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Former Staff

The katta stood almost motionless as Edwards story was heard, his tail flicking almost impatiently behind him, and his eyes roving over the state of Edward's clothing compassionately. The crowd behind him murmurred silently to themselves, deciding upon Edwards fate no doubt, their feet shuffling about on the constructed ground. The sprite was murmurring something a little louder than the rest were and he was staring at the ground in a disturbing manner, his eyes unblinking.
The Lionoid, once Edward's story was concluded, nodded, gave a low bow and introduced himself.

"And I am Vysbad lonery strranger. I berieve you arrived herr by means of flroating. And as for herr, you arr on the isle of Arrios in the Federration of Eunesia."
Stepping aside and off the path he raised one bare furry arm and indicated those who murmurred there damnations and interests in Edward, his eyes seemed to shimmer in the shady light of the brightening as he spoke fondly of them.
"And these arr the Arrios Rrunnerrs! We rrun for sporrt. We rrun for fun. And it is forrtunate we rran into you."

Again the katta bowed, and stepping back onto the track, scowled at the sprite who was now clambering to his feet. It was odd, for Edward felt quite calm and reasonable; even more so, he felt he owed a debt to these people for running into him. It was a strange feeling, because it hadn't crept up on him, it had simply leeped into his head uninvited. If Edward had any sense he might draw the conclussion that the fae had something to do with this, but all he could feel for the fae was warm fuzzy feelings of being nice.
Old April 6, 2005, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Famous

The warmth and gentleness of the forest seemed to spread, flowing right off the trees and onto the people that were standing in front of Edward, onto the Lionoid and perhaps the most on the fae that had come with the group. And then, without Edward even noticing it very clearly, the warmth reached him and clouded his mind, or did it? Perhaps it clearified his thoughts, perhaps this was the first time since his awakening that he was clear again. He just couldn't put his finger on what it was, and to be honest, he did not care to think about it too long. The katta introduced himself and was most likely awaiting another answer from Edward's side, so were the formalities of a normal conversation, conversations which Edward so rarely had with anyone but his family or a handful of people he knew well enough to actually sit down and talk with.

He was on Arios, he had heard the name before once or twice, but couldn't think about where it exactly was, except for the fact that it was indeed within the boundaries of the Federation of Eunesia, it still didn't pin-point exactly where he was, but it gave him some idea at least. These people were runners? They ran for the sport of it and for the fun of it? Edward couldn't really understand how one was able to run for fun, but of course, he had the habit to spend a lot of time at sea and at the beach for fun and adventure, he wasn't the person to start accusing people of having odd hobbies or sports when a good amount of people often called him a bit strange. But it did explain their athletic build and obviously it was a good way to keep in shape.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Vysbad and it was fortunate indeed that I stumbled upon your group of runners. I could have wandered without any sense of direction in the forest for hours without finding out any other people, not a very pleasant thought..." he answered with a smile, knowing that he indeed should be happy that he had found them, but more then just happy? He felt like he was supposed to feel more then just happy, he should be ecstatic, euphoric and willing to do something in return... why? It was if his mind was split in two or something, or so it felt to him, the reasoning side that wanted to do one thing and the other side that seemed to overwhelm him from time to time. Not wanting to spend too much time thinking about it all, he put his left hand to his head, slightly frowning and rubbing his head over his forehead, as if he wanted to show that something was troubling him to the runners. He then added, "Are you the spokesman of the group, or more then just that? You seem different in ways more then just those that lie skin-deep..."

Why he adressed the katta again in this matter, Edward didn't know precisely, perhaps he wanted to focus on one thing at a time to try and supress the overwhelming feeling that was taking over his mind.
Old April 8, 2005, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Former Staff

The small sprite was by now beaming happily at his companions as Edward conversed with their would be leader, they're composure was becomming steadily more relaxed as time went on and the threat that they might suddenly lash out at him seemed almost impossible now. Still, they muttered on. It appeared Edward might not be welcome here, and there was a strange rustling in the trees. Almost as if the island itself were talking about him, and his imagination told him the island was of the same opinion as the runners.

Vysbad wore a feline smile though, and his manner was far less threatening. All the others could hear the trees whispering, all the others could feel this will to reject Edward, but it was like Vysbad was blind to the general mood. To him Edward was a long lost friend.
"I am the founderr of the Arrios runnerrs, but I speak forr no one on this isle but myself."
Striding the distance between them, Vysbad gave another bow and then turned beckoning for two figures to approach from the group. As he spoke the sprite and a pretty young human in her 20's approached from the group, the girl looked at the ground as if embarrased, and from the way her cheeks grew red she probably was. The sprite looked Edward directly in the face, curious as to the nature of his physical state.

"I must continue my rrun, but if you will follow Emma and Pique herr, I will gladly give you a place of rrest when you arrrive at the village. Hmmrr?"
Old April 9, 2005, 08:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Famous

Perhaps, in a different situation at a different place, Edward would have sought a way out of the slightly awkward situation that seemed to be forming. For it was indeed obvious that not many of the people in the group was very glad to have bumped into Edward like they did, as a matter of fact, it seemed as the katta was the only person to somewhat accept the fact that Edward was there and was also willing to reach out and aid the young human. The murmering and rustling became more of a background when Vysbad adressed Edward once again, it was good, Edward disliked the silence which caused all those sounds to come out and perhaps even seem more threatening then they actually were. Vysbad exposed himself as the founder of this group of runners, which made him of some importance at least, as any founder always was inherently important.

Two others approached Edward, as he had smiled back and made a small bow in the direction of Vysbad as well. The sprite came forward, which was most likely a good thing, now Edward could watch the small creature better and make sure that he wasn't doing anything Edward didn't like, if that had not already been done. Next to the minimal being that was the sprite was a human female, of about Edward's age, slightly embarrased as would have been most likely any single person of the group if they were called forward, especially if the voices within the group were most likely not very fond of Edward being there in the first place. But it was a start, a first step to possible acceptance to this group of his own kind, but so different from him still.

"That sounds great, I would be honored to follow them to your village and I will look forward to you when you return your run. I cannot thank you enough for this warm welcoming, for I am sure that I look a bit awkward in my current state..." Edward said as he looked at himself, his clothes tarnished with some rips here and there, his insignia almost falling from his clothes because of the very little fabric to still hold on to. His facial hair had grown enough to make him look like some uncivilized barbaric. Surely, these people had every right to not really trust Edward. "Serale Pique and Emma, nice to meet the both of you..." he continued with a smile and a small bow towards the two that had been called forward by Vysbad. Hopefully it would somehow ease their slightly hostile nature. He tried to somehow avoid eye-contact with the woman, but perhaps by trying it a bit too much it caused his eyes to wander in her direction after all, inspecting her a bit more thoroughly then he had done anyone else in the group so far.

OoC: Pretty awkward, someone at my work has a last name that is called 'Pique'. What are the odds.
Old April 12, 2005, 05:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Former Staff

Vysbad responded to Edwards temporary farewells by raising a hand in solemn parting and racing off, his hind paws literally skipping across the strangely made path. The remainder of the group left their scowls behind as they too began running along the way they had originally intended, laughter erupted once again and the forest was not such a dark place. Peace was once again the predominant force in the forests of Arios, and even the seeming sentience of the forest wouldn't crush Edwards spirits. There were an awful lot of mood swings though, perhaps he should investigate?

Infact, more than one thing was odd with this island. Edward had just been shipwrecked, washed up on a shore, and hurriedly found himself faced by increasingly hostile locals; and he felt great! There was not a trace of weariness in his shaggy facial hair covered body, odd?

Perhaps not.

Upon his inquiring gaze Emma appeared to be an extremely fit young human, tall, with blonde curls pulled back in a very hastily constructed bun, her skin was tanned from long hours in the sun; or was that natural? Her shirt hung tight to her chest for it was perhaps to small, but the pants she wore were clearly borrowed. His prolonged gaze made her blush only more, but thankfully for her Pique draw Edwards attention away with his introductions. Bowing low in the air, for he flew, he pointed first to himself and then his companion.
"Serale to you to sir, I am Ikomancer Apprentice Pique and this is the songstress Emma. Denizens of Arios, members the runners of Arios and just generally intentioned folk."
A sarcastic wink was placed carefully here, as his lightened footsteps touched down upon the ground where he seemed to prefer them. Emmas back was turned from the two as she was desperately trying to compose herself, as evidenced from her frenzied actions with her hair and the pulling on her shirt.

Pique promptly drew Edwards gaze away by jumping inbetween them, a not very useful act for he was the size of a Cether (halfling)
"If you would like to follow me, I'll lead you through the forest safely. Wouldn't want to get lost in here, the creatures never sleep."

OOC: Very small, because I randomly typed the letters.
Old April 12, 2005, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Famous

As Vysbad increased the distance between himself and the group among which Edward was standing, the human felt that the overal mood of the Arios runners went back to more at ease. But it went back so easily, and that only because Vysbad had walked forward, met Edward, socialized and then left again, leaving Edward in the hands of the group, or to be exact, the sprite and the young human female, of about Edward's age. Was that even a reason to change your own mood from tensed about a situation to comfortable with the seemingly unchased situation? Perhaps it wasn't, but perhaps it was, they all seemed to put a lot of trust in the katta, and now that he had given the o-k on Edward, perhaps all that pressure and tension had left the runners minds and hearts. Edward couldn't quite tell, perhaps he should be more aware, but within this group and on this still very unknown island, there was little more he could do then just be aware as he trusted the inhabitants.

Emma indeed had a certain tan he just couldn't quite tell where it was from, natural or from the suns. It was something he never really noticed before with any girl, or woman as he was supposed to call them from age eighteen as his mother had taught him so well. He was too focused on the navy, too busy trying to become his father to even consider spending too much time with women. It was yet another thing that he realized, as he did realize before when he trained under Catherina. Even now, he was unsure if he should start to socialize with Emma, as she didn't seem to be in a position to talk much. In the end, it all came back to his father and Edward wanting to become like his dad, it was his lifegoal, it had been his lifegoal all his nineteen patterns of his life, it was something that had started to change, whether Edward liked it or not, even though at an extremely slow pace. Only time would tell if Edward still dreamed of a job in the navy, if he even wanted to try his father after the stories he had been told some of the citizens of Port Constantine, but there were others, that knew more, but they were all in Port Constantine, it wouldn't be anytime soon that Edward would be near that place again.

Edward decided to meet Pique's bow with a small bow of his own, and a bell rang inside his head when he heard that the small being was an Ikomancer. Having not too much knowledge about the whole Arcana field, there were only two spheres he had heard of before, Elementalism of McGregor, and Ikos from his friend Lohrtar Silvermoon. Lohrtar had told him that he was on a journey to learn more about that precise type of magic because he believed he could change his own fate with it, whatever that meant, but feeling as awkward as he did here, perhaps it was more clear to him what it meant then what he now could understand. "If you didn't get my name before, I am Edward van Hagen, perhaps you overheard it when I spoke to Vysbad, but I thought I'd just say it for sure..." Edward answered as he continued to smile to both of them, a slightly more gentle one towards Emma then to Pique, even though it might have been more gentle only inside Edward's head.

Edward shook his head slightly, refocusing his eyes on Pique as the sprite adressed the young human once more. 'The creatures never sleep...' Edward heard the sentence that Pique had just spoken inside of his own head again, and then recited it once more. What creatures? And they never slept? What was that all about, where did that come from all of sudden? "Yes, I will follow you, I definately don't want to get lost, I'm sure I would, since I don't know where to go or where to start...." Edward answered as he made the 'you go first' gesture with his right hand, but decided to ask before starting to walk, "What creatures are you talking about though? I didn't see anything that even seemed remotely aggressive before I stumbled upon your kind group of runners... and... they have to sleep sometime right?" the latter part came out as if it was forced out of his mouth by his mouth more then his heart, it was one of those questions he felt he had to ask but then again didn't want to ask partly. Hopefully, he wouldn't be blamed for asking, and if so, the answering would be over within minutes and they could move on their way.
Old April 15, 2005, 03:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Former Staff

Pique nodded at Edwards introduction, looking slightly bored with Edward and a little more interested in Emma's hurried personal sortings. As his eyes lingered on his taller friend he waved away Edward's name as if to say he had caught it, but before he could voice his dismissals the flustered young woman turned and pushed Pique from her path. Thursting herself before Edward she performed a small curtsy, giving him an oppurtunity to inspect her more closely than before. She had done a surprisingly competent job at making herself more attractive, for it was certainly what she was attempting, and the red in her cheeks only added to the feminine charm. She waited for the flustered Pique to finish his little speel about creatures before responding to Edward.
"No, I didn't catch your name. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Mr Hagen."

As Pique led the way at Edward's insistance Emma bumped up against Edwards side and made to walk beside him, the wind wafted the scent of her hair in his direction revealing the faint scent of berries.
Pique, it seemed, was more than happy to recount tales of horrible creatures.
"Oh, creatures. All sorts, bears, wolves, squirrels, weird moving fungus slimes, occasionally there might be a treant; we're never quite sure though. You wouldn't have seen them because we're near the beach."
A pointless motion towards the shore only a dozen or so feet away.
"And they sleep sometimes, usually when we do. If the druids can get to them, but they can't put them all to sleep. And a little insomnia goes a long way to sending a squirrel insane."
Old April 18, 2005, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Famous

Edward was glad that Emma indeed decided to talk back to him, even if only to make him feel that his words did not go unanswered. Very swiftly though, it became obvious that it were more then just minor introductions, their meetings of the eyes created tensed moments in which most likely the both of them felt a bit awkward. Either that, or Emma was terribly good at acting like she did feel somewhat the same. Edward smiled as Emma did answer him with the notification that she indeed had not hear him and Vysbad speak before. A little insecure as he noticed that Emma was doing so much to make herself look better and leave a better impression, Edward tried to run a hand through his hair and comb it a bit in a nonchalant matter but as he touched his hair. he noticed that it was long and pretty messed up. That was when he noticed for the first time that his facial hair too had grown quite a bit since he left on the AFS Seagull. As a matter of fact, he felt like he looked like some old geezer living on the streets. It wasn't making him feel a lot more comfortable about acquainting with Emma, nevertheless, he decided not to give it too much thought for now, as Pique continued on about something that again left Edward with more new unanswered questions.

The scent of Emma's hair almost stopped him from continueing the conversation with Pique and just focus on her, but he had to ask on about this, it was just too abnormal to him what the fae was talking about. "Put them all to sleep? Do the druids put you to sleep as well? I'm confused... perhaps I am missing something, but is there something going on of which I am unaware?" Edward said as he made sure that his speed of paces was equalised with Emma's so that he walked side by side with her to where-ever they were going so the option of starting a conversation would still remain there, a conversation in words of course, because they were already sending signals to one and another without letting out a word. Edward decided to take a closer look at Emma's skin to see if he could he could make out at all if it was her natural colour or tanned by the suns. Somehow he struggled to try and not look into her eyes too much, but because of trying it so bad, perhaps he was looking at her eyes more then he normally would.. now, what colour were they?
Old April 22, 2005, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Former Staff

Pique skipped and twirled as they went, being properly childlike for a fae of his nature. Seemingly delighting in Edwards ignorance he gave a mocking bow as he returned an answer to the cast aways nagging questions.
"Of course they don't, the priests put us to sleep."
Turning a corner happily he popped his head from around the tree which obscured any further sight of what lay ahead.
"Naturally you are missing everything here. For you are a stranger, now hurry along. Not so far now."
And the fae was off again, his wings fluttering in the summer airs. Turning the corner Edward was confronted with what looked to be an endless pathway stretching into the distance, it turned from the beach here and headed inwards to the heart of island almost.
Emma seemed to walk taller the more Edward examined her, upon closer inspection her skin looked tanned by the suns and her eyes were a deep crystal blue. Perhaps the path ahead was less daunting than it looked with such a fine young lady by his side.
Old April 23, 2005, 07:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Famous

It seemed rather obvious that Pique was not going to give a clear answer to Edward about what exactly was going on at this place. If the young human would want to know more about it all, he would probably had to ask Vysbad, perhaps Emma if she was willing to talk about it in the presence of the whole group of runners. Something which Edward doubted quite a bit, they seemed like a pact, a group, and none of them would let Edward know too much until they felt like they should. The only sensible thing Edward could make up from what he had heard so far that there were creatures, some hostile and some less hostile by nature that couldn't sleep and thus could all turn aggressive. So, there was a sleeping problem with the creatures on the island, but did this also include the inhabitants? Edward couldn't tell precisely yet, it was all too vague. Fow now, he would focus on the latter that Pique had mentioned, which was indeed true. Edward was missing a lot out of the surrounding by concerning himself with something that did not seem extremely relevent yet. He decided to forget about the whole matter until he spoke to Vysbad or anyone else of some authority again and just take a good look around at what came to pass and what would still come to pass on the road they walked to where-ever they were taking Edward.

Emma was literally opening up a bit more, as she left her slightly shyer walk and started to walk more naturally besides Edward. Her eyes were about the same colour as his, something he did not come across all too often. The scent of her hair and her whole appearance still fresh in his memory, Edward decided to try and start a conversation going as he did keep an eye out for his surroundings, he did not want to be suprised by these creatures that Pique talked about, even though they were walking there with a whole group. He wanted to hear her voice and so he started, "So, you are a songstress? Perhaps you could sing a few notes? I'd love to hear your voice when you sing, I could...." his hand reached for the last intact pocket in his detoriorated naval pants and felt that his last two items of value were fortunately still in there, he grabbed his harmonica and left his insignia, "I could support your voice with a melody, if you'd like, not that your voice would need any kind of support from an instrument I'm sure..." he added, as now he started to feel a slight blush appearing on his cheeks, immediately supressing it as hard as he could.

He waited for Emma's reaction and looked at her, slightly mesmerized on one side but also curious on the other, a songstress, what exactly did that mean? Was it a form of Arcana, or was it more like being a bard of some kind? It probably was going to become clear soon enough. While he made sure that he focused on Emma, awaiting for her reaction, he also looked around every now and then to see what was surrounding this long and winding road that they were taking into the heart of the forest. It seemed like there was indeed no end to this road, but it obviously had to lead somewhere, Edward would just be investigating the surrounding, Pique and the other people in the runners group and it always seemed to end with returning his eyes on Emma, as it did start. He exhaled slowly, even though it almost felt to him like a sigh, he could feel that he still was not totally at ease because of being a stranger to this place, and even though he had decided to not think about the things he did not know about the place for a while, he just couldn't get it of his mind when there was a silence.

Last edited by Edward van Hagen; April 23, 2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old April 24, 2005, 06:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Former Staff

Pique skipped ahead further and further, his skips carrying him impossibly far upon the flutter of a wing. His childlike nature presented itself as he giggled in the summer breeze and danced about trees, there was an obvious lack of danger on the island at the moment. Or at least the fae seemingly believed so. It would occur to the human that whilst the path seemingly stretched on forever the runners were nowhere to be seen, and if he strained his eyes he would see a t-junction further along that turned towards the ocean; the ocean being not so far in every direction though.

Emma's eyes darted about in the undergrowth just as Edward's did when she wasn't sneaking increasingly longer looks his way, her free arm swished out to push branches from her way touch upon a tree. She blushed at mention of her talents despite it being common upon the isle, and nodding she sought a song to sing. Filling her lungs with air her chest rose in a great steady heave, demonstating the practised lungs of a singer, and exhaled in the first note of a song. The words were foreign to Edwards ears and the tune even more so, although as he listened he could pick the distinct repetitive melody behind the rather simple tune. Her voice was sickly sweet like wild bee's honey, and it had an effect that seemed to draw him closer to her. And as she sang Pique stopped in his tracks and began to follow closely behind the girl, his face a seeming picture of entrancement.

venez, venu, venu vous
venez les bons amis de la colline loin partie
suivez-moi ici, suivez-moi lŕ
suivez-moi foire tout vieille et foire.

venez, venez, venu vous
voir la ma musique, entendez mon trill
les mots vous tiendront dans mon balancement
balancez et chantez le jour loin.

And so the tune spun it's way around in the air in some exotic fashion, the scent of the songstress growing stronger in the air as she enticed Edward to play on with her smiles and looks. Edward would see, if he was not so intent upon the moment, small birds and cute little squirrils twittering in the daylight; the moment seemed impossibly dream like and the cause was clearly Emma.
Old April 24, 2005, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Famous

Pique and the runners were up ahead, seemingly more hurried then either Edward or Emma, then again, there didn't seem to be a single reason about to make haste. The place was peaceful, as peaceful as it had ever been to Edward's eyes, no matter what creatures Pique had talked about, there were certainly none here, or they were very well hidden. The sound of the ocean could be heared from afar, as it truly never was far away from any part of the island, giving Edward a better image of the size of the haven of peace on which he was stranded. The sea had its way with Edward, it could enthrall him as easily as Emma had done and was still doing as they carried on their way along the path. The song which was to follow, even though its intentions were perhaps private for Edward, had an effect on Pique as well it seemed. But how was that a suprise with such a voice?

Each note, each word, each breath that Emma exhaled and let out into the open air remained there. It wasn't like some amateuristic melody that Edward could play on his harmonica, having only used it several times after being taught exactly how it worked in Port Constantine. This was different, the words remained around Edward, as did the scent of Emma's hair before. And even though he did not understand what she had sung, he could tell that it was beautiful and that each and every tone was perfect. His eyes lit up slightly, in a manner of amazement as she finished her song, trying his best to find the words to describe what he thought of the song, he couldn't find the words he wanted to say, but he wasn't going to remain silent. For that would be more of an insult then it was a compliment in his eyes.

"T..that was b..beautiful..." he stuttered in amazement, not entirely glad with the word he had called her song, for it was obviously so much more then just beautiful. "I.. I mean amazing, it's the best I've ever heard, the melody was just perfect and the tones were... were.. perfect!" he continued as he waved his hands a bit franticly, even though not in a very large manner, but it was him showing that he was indeed searching for more words... more words! He didn't find any, "My harmonica wouldn't have made it sound any better I'm positive, I could have only weakened the song, good thing I didn't play along.. he said as he forced a smile upon his face, knowing very well that every word was true, the many limitations he had when he played the harmonica could not have done that song any good.

He got closer to Emma, if only just slightly or in his head, even though he had no idea why he did it or what was next. All he knew that there was something about her that attracted him to her, and he could do naught but hope that there was some resemblance of his feelings inside of her as well. It was then that he also noticed that from the moment Emma had started singing, Pique had followed her like a sheep following its herder, "It looks like you loved it as well, huh? I suppose there are only few people that have a voice such as hers on this island, or in the world for that matter..." he adressed Pique, but perhaps indirectly Emma as it was easier for him to complement her that way. He then remained silent, his sight focused on the ever-more confident Emma as they walked further along the road, unsure about what was next and if there was ever going to be an end to all this happiness and peace that was around him and on this island, totally unlike his hometown.