Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Eunesia > Arios

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2004, 09:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Famous

Gareth Gruven is an upstanding Citizen
Constructing a house (private l Paul, O'brien)

OOC: I have GM O'brien's permission to go ahead and make this. Even though Gareth isn't a carpenter, he has a basic idea of what a small room looks like, and even if the wood might be cut wrong, he'll find a way to still nail it all togethor

IC: Gareth Gruven barely made the flight back home from the Wild Outdoor's Supply shop. It was true, the poor Sprite had been carrying a hammer, hatchet, nails, and a knapsack full of camping materials all to boot from the city to the length of his house. 'Why on Telath did I choose to live so far away,' he thought to himself as he struggled to make the ascent towards his house. However, once he made it to the trapdoor, everything was easy from there, he simply dropped the hammer and hatchet on the roof, and took the knapsack inside and placed it in the bedroom. He then relaxed for a brief state before going back outside to find a tree that would suit his liking.

Zig-zagging through the forest, he soon found the perfect tree! It was a squatty young redwood tree, short but thick, which reminded him of how Hobbit's get when they sit down at a dinner-party and eat too much. Grinning from ear to ear, he quickly took out a handful of berries he had collected along the way and smeared them all over the tree, marking it. With that, he raced back towards his home, hoping to find Paul Tyndal there, to tell him the good news.
Old February 14, 2004, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Former Staff

O'Brien is an upstanding Citizen
OOC: Hey everyone, just to confirm things:

Gareth has my permission, as he said, under a few terms which he is familiar with. He cannot sell the home, and cannot use it to any advantage, as per the legal bunnying rules. This is just a nice location for flavor, and I trust he will use this thread nicely and appropriately. If he doesn't...I'll make the Black Dome explode, and there are nukes in there.
Old February 15, 2004, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Famous

Solaris Silverarrow is an upstanding Citizen
OOC: Me and Gareth Gruven have talked and he has given me permission to be in his thread^^

IC:Before he entered the city, this elf wanted to see the forest of Arios. He had jogged from the dock, and then made a turn into the forest at one point. With a smile across his dark skin, he ran between the trees, laughing like a small child. Indeed he was like one, for it seemed to him that he had only been born a few days ago, well he had, or his mind had at least. Through the trials of trying to rid his mind of the forces that had plagued it, this person had been born. This body had been originally of Solaris Silverarrow, however with the recession of the forces on his mind, he was not the same person anymore, so he had forsaken that name, and started off as a new person, making new memories for himself.

The sun filtered in between the canopies of the trees, and the air blew gently around him, yes this place felt homely in some ways. He stopped at one point to catch his breath, and started to meander through the forest. Little things caught his eyes, and soon his energy was back to normal, and in so short a time. However before he started running off again, something zoomed directly in front oh him. "A sprite!" He shouted, he had seen one only once before, and they were quite intriguing little things. He started to run after the small being, and ended up at a very large and odd looking oak tree. He had a puzzled look on his face, as his crimson eyes trailed the long rope hanging from the branch. With a slight chuckle, he pulled the rope...and pulled again...and once more just for the fun! "Serale, is this the home of the little sprite I saw just a few moments ago?"
Old February 15, 2004, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Famous

The Sprite had heard someone shout after him as he zoomed through the forest back to his home, and when he heard the rustle of bushes behind him he had picked up speed and had shot up safetly into his oak house. Standing on the flat roof near the trapdoor, he held the door halfway open so he could safetly jump in if any winged creature came after him. However, no winged creature came after him, and he sighed blistfully. It must have just been some being taking a stroll in the forest.

However, as his thoughts drifted back towards the tree, he was greeted with a harsh, blazingly loud ringing in his ears. Covering them and shouting, he looked down to see a stupid Elf pulling on the bell-rope repeatedly, the bell-rope that led straight to the bell that Gareth was standing right next to. "Aaargh!" Gareth yelled out as he took off away from the oak and plummeted downwards. The farther he went, the lesser the ringing sound was heard, until he was finally hovering straight next to the Elf, eye-to-eye.

"Yes? What do you want?" he asked in an impatient tone, his dark green almond-like eyes looking around for Paul. "I'm busy trying to cut a tree. I'm obviously not tall enough to cut it myself, and now that you have probably more or less caused me to go deaf, you are going to help me cut it!" he said, pointing a finger at Solaris and poking the Elf in the chest. Of course, he smiled afterwards, never the Sprite to stay mad at anyone for too long. But Solaris did hurt his ears, and it was only fair that the Elf help the Sprite out. "Come on, follow me," he spoke as he handed the elf the hatchet, and began to fly slowly back to the tree. They came upon a squatty redwood tree, with a thick trunk, perfect for building a room with a roof. "Don't just stand there, get to work while I look around for something that is edible to eat..." he spoke in a merry tone, glad he had blackmailed the Elf into cutting the tree.
Old February 15, 2004, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Famous

He was smiling at the bell noise, for it was odd for him to hear a bell ringing from inside a tree. He hadn't meant to hurt the little sprites ears, but it was fun for him anyway. As the little sprite zoomed down towards him, he stopped the tugging and was about to speak when the spite started to scorn him. He grinned at the little sprite, for it was quite odd to be threatened by a sprite. He was over 4 times its size, yet it still poked him and was telling him what he was to do. He nearly started to laugh, but he had caused the little sprite some pain, so he would go along with this.

He followed the little sprite, with the hatchet in hand and a smile across his face. He felt quite silly for taking orders from a sprite, but it was simply another memory which he was glad to have. He had stayed quite this entire time, but soon the silence got to him and so he started a conversation. "I am sorry little sprite, I had no intention of hurting your ears, but I had no clue it connected to a bell, I mean its not every day you find someone living inside a tree."

He started to hack at the tree, turning the small hatchet at an angle so that it would cut better. It would take time, but it wasn't the first time he had cut a tree, and this time it was with a hatchet. He had been in the prime military the first time and was using a longsword, for it was a training mission, and they were only allowed to use what was on their person. At that time he was still Solaris Silverarrow, the troubled being of the past. It would take a few hours, but soon the tree was almost halfway cut, and he stopped, wiping the sweat from his dark brow. He sat down on the ground and started to talk again. "So then, tell me about yourself while we rest."

Last edited by Solaris Silverarrow; February 15, 2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old February 15, 2004, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Famous

"Don't ever call me little again, it's offending," Gareth spoke in a snobby voice as he ran a slender hand through his platinum silver hair. He sat on a branch of a nearby tree as he watched Solaris hack away, glad for once that he wasn't the one cutting the tree...it would have taken him days. As hours passed, Gareth silently judged the man up. He obviously had some Vysstichi blood within him, for not many elves had white hair when they were so young. He must have been a half-breed between a Vysstichi and another type of Elf.

However, hsi thoughts were abruptly brought to an end when the man stopped cutting down the tree. Guessing that he needed time to rest, he smiled and corrected the man's statement, "You mean while you rest. Here, have a berry or two," he spoke as he brought out the small haversack he kept within his cloak's pocket, and dropped a few berries into the man's hands. "Tell you about me? I believe you have it wrong. You will tell me about yourself, until I judge that you are either good or evil. Then, I will share my past with you Mister...?" he waited to hear the man's name, and it was obvious he wasn't going to be giving his.
Old February 15, 2004, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Famous

He smiled and nodded again, almost breaking out in fits of laughter. Indeed this sprite had some courage in him, for not many would talk in this manner to one four times their size. The sprite was indeed correct about his blood, he was half vysstichi and half Syl'rosyan elf, an odd combination but it was his blood none the less. "Yes, you are right I need to rest. Thank you for the food." He said as he ate them. He also took out a bit of his rations that he had, for he never went anywhere without them. He didn't take any offense as the sprite again started to talk to him in the same manner as before. "Well then, you wish to know about me, hmm well it is a very long and hard story to tell."

He shifted around for a second and ran a hand through his white hair. "My past is very difficult for me to talk about, for I was born into slavery. To make this short and thusly less painful for me, my mother had been raped by a vysstichi raiding party. They took her to their slave compound, and waited for her to give birth. A few years after she did, they killed her in the dark, I was there but my dark sight was not so good at such a young age, so all that I saw was the gleam of a blade, her blue eyes open wide in the pain, and the splatter of blood across my face." He sighed and shifted again.

"There are details now that I shall not go over, for they are painful ones that bring me to tears each time I speak them. However, at around 175 eras I was finally able to escape, and I ran blind, but ended up at the gates of Aelyria Prime. I joined in the military for a short while and made some friends. Now all this time I had a certain...condition. My mind was so warped by the years of slavery, that I was torn between my bloods. The good or the evil, the Vysstichi or the Syl'rosyan, and it affected my mind in ways that even I do not understand. You could say that I had two ways of looking at life, and each had its own voice in my mind. It drove me to insanity, and soon I was nothing more than a battleground for these two forces. I ended up in Syl'rosya, the home city of my mother. There I wandered for a bit, meeting some old friends and getting blind drunk at some points. At a certain point, I came to a crux in my life, the good or evil, for now they were engaging in the final battle over my body. This was only a few patterns ago, but it all changed in one night. In another long story, I was changed with the help of an elven mystic named Jen'tai. He helped my kill the two forces that were in my brain, and I was born. The being that had been plagued by these two forces was called Solaris Silverarrow, and with the death of the forces, I am now here. I have no name yet, and perhaps I shall keep it this way for awhile. You should know though, that I am perfectly fine now, even better! I search for my past, good times, and new memories to make." He smiled and ate another portion of his ration

He hoped the sprite wouldn't be too taken aback by the story, for it was an odd one. "Now then, that was my life in the painless shortened version. I can assure you I am not evil, nor I am perfectly good though. I lay between them, finding my own way in life, however this does not mean that I support the ways of evil and if I saw an evil deed going on, I would do all I could to stop it, but not because I felt I had to do good, but because I believe there should be a balance between all things. Now then, have you decided if I am worthy enough to hear your story?" He smiled again; indeed he was very happy-go-lucky type of person.
Old February 15, 2004, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Famous

The Sprite suddenly granted instant attention to Solaris, listening attentively to the man's story. "I see," he would often say when Solaris came to a breathing point, or he would simply nod his head in attention. His frown that had always been given to the man before was slowly turning into a smile as he realized the hardships the Gods had put onto this Elf. He simply sat down on the branch, holding a lim in his left hand, and watched the Elf speak his part, his dark green almond-like eyes never straying or wavering away from the speaker.

As soon as the elf finished, the platinum haired Sprite was grinning from ear to ear, not from the hardships Solaris had to face, but over the fact that this man was neither good nor evil, he was just there. Gareth himself never considered himself good or evil, he thought he was neutral on both sides of the coin. Sighing, he fluttered down and rested a hand on the Elf's shoulder. "If the story your lips have spoken is true, then you are by far worthy, friend," he spoke in a gentle cheerful tone. "Now, please finish chopping the tree while I talk, and then we can try to drag it back to the clearing. Maybe you might decide to stay and help me cut it into planks?" he asked in a friendly tone, hoping that either he or Paul would. But where was Paul? He had only found Solaris here so far, and yet he was slowly forging a new friendship with a man that, hours before, he had been bossing around.

Gareth hovered nearby the Elf, out of an axe's length, but close enough to where the Elf could hear him without difficulty of the sound of the tree being chopped. "Let's see...I remember my parents, and having to leave them one night. My dad was a Paladin for the Church, and my mom took care of me and my older sister at home. However, one night my mother quickly took my hand and led me out of the house, and we flew to her parent's house, my grandparents. On the flight over, she told me that my father was taking my sister to my other grandparent's house, and that we were to stay with them for only a short while. Later, I learned I was meant to stay with them for the rest of my life until I grew up, yet my mother had not the heart to tell me that that was the last time I would be seeing her," he spoke in a harsh voice, cold and without emotion. "I kissed my mother on the cheek, and my grandparent's put me to sleep. Over weeks, I continued to tell myself that my mother would come back and pick me up. Weeks turned into months, months into eras, and slowly the thought of my mother and father faded out of my mind.

"I was old enough then to start work on my grandparent's farm. My grandfather owned it, he was a Druid of some talent, and treated nature as if it was a human being. I always admired his ability to control it, it's one of the thigns that have inspired me to become a ranger, despite my small size. My grandmother was a different person altogethor, she was a bard. She studied the Arcane sphere of Song, and had quite a lot of power within her voice. Everytime she spoke it was wonderful, like a beautiful melody being sung softly into your ears. When I was smaller she would sing me lullabies that worked wonders!

"But eventually, I had to leave the farm. I had grown up a majority of my life there, yet I felt I was needed elsewhere, and that it was time to explore and take control of my own life. It pained my Grandparents to let me go, yet they knew that it would one day happen. When I left, my grandfather gave me a deed to my house, the oak tree you were pulling the blasted bell by. There are actually three rooms on the very top of that tree, big enough for a Sprite only though, or maybe a Faerie.

"Anyways, I have not seen my mother, father, or sister at all for the past ...I can't even remember how many patterns it's been," Gareth ended in a solemn voice. "You can call me Gareth friend, Gareth Gruven," he ended with a polite tone of finality. He often didn't share his past with others, yet since Solaris had asked, and since the man was doign him a favor and saving him work, Gareth had complied to the simple request.

After another hour of work, the tree soon fell, and Gareth and Gruven took the appropriate shelter away from the tree, resulting in both of them safe. "Any suggestions on what to pull it back to the clearing with?" the sprite asked, thankful that his home was not too far away. "Of course, we will have to cut it in half again, that way it's easier to carry..." he spoke in a cheerful voice, taking the hatchet from the man. "Are you willing to use your sword again? While I use the hatchet?" he asked curiously, yet with the utmost patience.
Old February 15, 2004, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Famous

He smiled and nodded, glad to have found the sprite. It was getting easier for him to tell him story each time he told it, and he always gained a new friend with each telling. "Well then, friend it is." He said with a smile as he started to go at the tree again. He listened to the sprites story, and it sounded harsh also. To be separated from the ones you love, it was something he knew all to well. His interest was caught though at the mention of this song. It interested him, he would ask more about it later though, for now his task was on cutting the tree.

By the time the sprite was down, the tree was almost done. "Now then stand back my friend." he smiled and nodded as he did a very quick move. With a very quick move, using his Maj blessed speed; he slammed the hatchet down, and then spun on his heel to send his foot slamming into the tree, forcing it to be pushed down the opposite way of them. With a THUD the tree slammed into the ground. The nearby animals scattered away from the noise, even he had to admit it was louder than expected. "Yes, I have 40 feet of rope." He said with a smile. Indeed he had taken all his goods with him, it was all that he could carry in most instances, but his Maj blessed agility and speed allowed for him to be able to carry only a little more than he should. He reached his hand around his back, dropped the pavis from his back and underneath lay several things. A small grappling hook, the rope, some rations and some maintenance kits. He nodded, "Aye, I'll take my sword now then we must hurry with this." As he started to go at the tree with the blade, he now used his full Maj blessed speed to make it go quicker. "Tell me, why make another house if you already have one, surely you donít have that many things to where you require another house."
Old February 15, 2004, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Famous

Gareth watched Solaris with wide eyes as he saw the speed and agility the Elf moved with. He had known that Elves were often lithe and graceful creatures, but he had never seen ones so fast. 'He must be deadly in combat...' he thought to himself silently as he watched Solaris hack away at the tree with his sword. Quickly regaining his consciousness, he too began to hack away. Soon, the tree was split in half.

"Hahaha!" Gareth laughed at Solaris's naive question. "You see, my main goal and hope is to become a Ranger, so I can make my own map of this island, explore foreign lands, and be able to live off the land without worrying about rations or havign to find a nearby city," he spoke with a determined voice. "Besides, it's always good if you know how to hunt for your food," he added in a more cheerful tone. "But no, this is going to be my friend Paul's room. He's planning on being a Ranger as well, and we are going to partner up and share whatever we have, mostly my cooking and his money. I'm making this room so he has a small place of his own. Know what I mean?" he said in a cheerful voice.

The two cut it in half several more times. In the end, they were left with quite a number of ten foot tall tree trunks. "This will lighten the load considerably...now all we have to do is to just take them to my house, then we'll stop for dinner, sound good?" the Sprite spoke cheerfully. Taking the rope from Solaris, he tied it around the huge limbs of the tree, and began to loop it around himself as well, then gave the remaining part to Solaris. With this, he could tug with his body weight as his friend pulled. "Ready? On my count...one...two...three!"

Last edited by Gareth Gruven; February 15, 2004 at 05:18 PM.
Old February 15, 2004, 05:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Famous

He nodded as the sprite spoke the reason for the new house. He smiled," Well thatís nice of you to help build the house of your friend; I myself sold my first house in Prime for some desperately need crowns. I for one never really needed a house though; I do fine sleeping on the ground or in a cave of some sort, even dug myself a whole once, quite an interesting place to sleep. Yes, I canít wait for dinner, I'm just saddened that I won't be able to eat inside your house, seems like it would be an interesting place to be." He smiled again as they started to cut the trees again and again fairly soon they were into carrying sizes.

He took the rope from the sprite and tied it around his wrist, grabbing it with that hand, and then taking another part of the rope, he slid it into that hand. He was used to this sort of labor, he had helped build his own prison once, and this was much simpler than trying to move rock. As the sprite shouted three, he tugged on the rope, moving it slowly forwards. By the time they got it to his house, his wrist was sore, but they still have many more to go, but it wouldn't be much of a problem, these sort of these usually went away with a good nights rest. "Now then, to the next log?Ē He said as he smiled and took the rope, moving back into the forest for the other logs.
Old February 15, 2004, 05:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Famous

"To the next log," Atryl'on spoke witha solemn voice as he massaged his stomach and chest. He had slammed his whole body weight into the log to make it go forwards, which wasn't much, yet he knew that it was Solaris that was doing most of the pulling. "Wait one sec, I'll go and get some water," he spoke as he untied the rope from the first log and handed it to Solaris. He thens hot up into the sky towards his house in the tree, and returned shortly with two flasks of water, though one was slightly bigger than the other. "Alright, let's get on with it!" he said as he handed the larger flask to Solaris.

It took them several hours to finish hauling the logs towards the clearing, and once they were done Gareth suggested just relaxing for another hour. He then explained to Solaris how nobody slept on the island for some reason, most likely Arcane. This topic soon changed to Druidism, to eventually Song. "It's a wonderful art friend, if I had not been so inclined to be a Ranger, I would have chose it. The power within the voice and the instruments my grandmother used was spectacular. Whenever I got hurt or injured, or cut myself with a knife, she simply sang and my wound would close. I heard a bunch of people know Song and Ikos here, yet I haven't ran into any. I'm still relatively new here," the Sprite explained happily.

Yet, begrudingly as it might seem, they still had work to do, and the Sprite would not let himself rest until he was sure that enough work had been done. He quickly took the hatchet and roughly began transforming the cylinder trunks into squares. If Solaris was to help, this would take up the rest of their night, yet all the while their friendship strengthened and a new mold was forged. "You know, I think Paul wouldn't mind sharing his room with you after all this work you've put into it. What do ya say?" he asked in a friendly tone when they had finished...the next morning.
Old February 15, 2004, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Famous

He smiled and nodded as he tied the rope around another of the logs. When the sprite ran off, he took both ropes and started to haul them with ease. He hadn't wanted to use too much force before because the sprite had been tied to the tree and might have been harmed. He gritted his teeth and started move his legs a little faster with each step and by the time the sprite had come back with water, he had almost made it back to the house. With the last log home, they stopped and took a bit of the water and listened to Gareth. "This song sounds quite interesting and you say many people know it here...I may have to find out more." He smiled again and started to help the sprite form the logs into the wanted shape. "No sleep eh? No wonder I haven't felt tired since I arrived That and I've been so full on energy since I got off that damned boat, which I suggest to you, never ever take one, they are infernal things." He laughed slightly, remembering the horrible trip over.

The night when fast as the worked, becoming good friends within just short hours. He was glad to have made a new friend and thusly many good memories had come out of it and most likely many more to come. "Really, well that would be wonderful, but I cannot take such an offer freely. Instead...how about this. I give you around 400 crowns, I get part of this house, your and Paul's protection while here, and perhaps-since you are more familiar with this area- you could help me find someone who knows about this Song magic. What say you my friend?"
Old February 15, 2004, 06:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Famous

"Well, I'm not sure. Rightly, you get the house free because you have simply built the majority of it. But for our protection, and to help you find someone of song...I suppose I can take four-hundred crowns..." Gareth spoke in a debating tone. On the inside though, he knew he deeply needed the money. Without it, he might not be able to afford his intermediate archery lessons from Paul, and who knew what the Druids on the island would ask for if he sought them out to learn their sphere. "I will accept your money, if you are sure you want to do this," he spoke in a mumbling tone, trying hard not to damage his pride and honour too much.

For the remainder of the morning they sat and talked, resting their muscles and strengthening their friendship. However, at noon, Gareth felt the need to go mobile again, and he soon did so. Being as polite as ever, he instructed Solaris to cut the rough-cut squares into planks, about a foot tall and wide each. These would serve as walls. Meanwhile, while Solaris did this, Gareth began to dig into the ground with the hatchet, using the blade as a shovel. This would serve as a base, by digging deep enough into the ground, Gareth would lay the planks in there, and then simply nail the others onto them, using the ground to keep the walls from tipping over.

As his task was not as hard as Solaris's, he had quickly calculated a long hole that was a foot wide, and ran roughly seven feet across, and joined with two other foot-deep holes, that were roughly five feet across. Parrelel of the seven foot long hole, there was a five foot hole, the two feet space was to be used as an open doorway, they could purchase a curtain and put it on there later on. As soon as he finished, he helped Solaris with the remaining portions of the squares, until they had five sets of roughly cut planks lying in piles. He knew that their cut's wouldn't be perfect to each other, yet he also knew that they would be able to be nailed down.

Selecting the best of these planks, he tossed them into a pile. These would be set into the ground, used for the base.

He then selected the thickest of them, and set them into their own pile. These would be used for the roof, so that it would be durable enough to stand the rain or snow, and even a person walking on it. Afterall, a one foot thick plank that was nailed into others of it's like was pretty durable.

As soon as this was done, he rested for a few minutes before turning to Solaris. "My apoligies if the cuts aren't precise, I'm definetly no carpenter. There will probably be a few small gaps and holes when we nail them togethor, but we can fix that right up with mud if we have to," the Sprite explained cheerfully. "Later on we can stop by the Outdoors Supplies and see about some furniture, if they have any," he said cheerfully. "But for now, we'll have to place down the base, then begin to nail down the other's upon it. Sound good?" he asked politely. Afterall, this house was going to be as much of Solaris's as it was to be Paul's.
Old February 15, 2004, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Famous

He smiled and nodded. He could hear the tone in the sprites voice; he could tell he needed the money. "I am very sure my friend, I can part with money easy, and for all that I ever seem to need it for is weapon and armor repairs." He grinned for the only ways his money had ever been spent was for his weapons and armor, their repairs, and the money he had loaned his friends. He took the small bag of crowns from his side and plopped them down on the ground. "I'm not sure if you can carry it, but itís all there."

He nodded with the instructions and started to go about his work with the Maj blessed speed and agility. He nearly done by the time the sprite had started to help and within a few short minutes they were done cutting the squares. He watched the sprite go about his business with this house; he was quite serious about it. "Well perhaps you should become a carpenter, your mind for this thing is far better than my mind. I'm still not quite sure how we're going to place it all together. Now then, what do we do next my friend?"