Old December 19, 2016, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Ardentium
Darian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious Superhero

[Primus Gaudeo] A Red Tent in a White Field

Era XXIII, Winter

The tent had been set up some time ago, some distance from the city gates proper. The alchemist preferred to stay on the outskirts of the city, where he was not easily disturbed and people might just have to make an effort to reach him. There was, of course, relative safety in staying inside the walls, but the reputation of being an alchemist would see to that.

The tent itself was red a sharp contrast to the white snow around it. A small sign outside marked it as L'épée et la cornue the Ouroboros beneath the title made it evident that an alchemist had set up shop here. Behind the tent a couple of donkeys were tied up to a pole, idly eating whatever they could of the nearby hay.

Lifting the tent flap and going inside revealed a room lit by a pleasant yellow light suspended from the ceiling. No fires in here, the light emanated from a glowing fluid trapped in a flask. More of them on a small table served to light the room up pleasantly, each one a different colour. There was an assortment of items set up around the room, some captured in fancy bottles seemed to be perfumes of various scents. There were potions in small tubes along the wall. None of them were marked, asking the proprietor was the only way of finding out what was what. There were a couple of small barrels, one filled with some kind of grey powder and the other filled with white powder.

A pair of very ordinary looking boots seemed to have earned pride of place, sitting neatly on top of a table in the middle of the tent. Next to them was the owner, a serious looking man with a scruff of red hair, his pale skin made him seem mainly Vagaran descent, but the Jaedaxian sign outside might have given that away already. He was dressed in a fine, red shirt with a golden ouroboros embroidered on the chest.

Secrets :
Open for business, steel or above, but trades welcome!

Old January 1, 2017, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Wealth Tier: Steel
Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

Adyn was there. Again.

He brought with him a bag of giant rat tails, which he placed in front of the alchemist without so much as a hello. Instead he gestured at the bag and said, "Got those in a sewer filled with alchemical waste from the academy above it. Rats mutated because of it. Figured you might be interested."

Any time the alchemist spent inspecting the contents of the bag, Adyn used to take a look at the wares the Jaedaxian had to offer, eyes betraying an interest despite the casual nonchalance he carried himself with. Could it be that he was actually considering a purchase, without the five finger discount?

It was this alchemist, after all, who had offered him that dreamless brandy several seasons ago. Best not to burn the bridges that held some sense of value.
Adynirach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2017, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mythic

Darian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious SuperheroDarian is a glorious Superhero

"Hmm, I will take a look," was all the alchemist said and set to work trying to make sense of what had happened to the grisly rat remains. It might be thought that he trusted Adynirach not to steal anything while he worked, because he did not keep much of an eye on the thief.

But then stealing something from the alchemist was always something of a gamble, none of the jars, vials, and powders around the room were marked in any kind of a way. Picking a poison from a potion was as much guesswork as anything else, unless you happened to be the one person who knew the entire contents of the tent by heart. The only marked exception was the Dreamless Brandy neatly stacked on a couple of the shelves.

"I can do something with this," the alchemist's dry declaration came from the other end of the tent. "What would you like in return?"
Old January 25, 2017, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Adynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious SuperheroAdynirach is a glorious Superhero

The rogue looked up suddenly when the alchemist returned, his hands well within his pockets. Keeping them there meant he wasn't tempted to touch anything, and he had succeeded well enough at that so far.

"Not sure what the tails are worth to you. But I was wondering if you had something that ... made others a little more amenable to something I have to say."

He shrugged, knowing that if the alchemist even had such a thing, he may not be willing to part with it.

"Otherwise, I'm interested in anything that might facilitate discreetness. In any shape or form." Discreet speech, movement, travel. Anything he might think of, he would have a use for.
Old January 31, 2017, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mythic

The alchemist fixed Adynirach with a stare that suggested he had been weighed and found wanting. "I have such a thing," the alchemist said, and slid several silver coins across the table. "That is generally enough to make someone listen."
Old February 1, 2017, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Model Citizen

"Ohhhh," Well, the silver certainly shut him up. He pocketed the coins, knowing full well they were quite the value for the bag of nasty rat tails he had provided the alchemist with. Honestly, he was surprised the man had even wanted the things at all.

"I'll take it." As if he already hadn't done so. "A pleasure, as always. But... I have one more thing." He had wanted to get the bag of tails off his hands before moving on to the more important trade.

He produced a tome for the alchemist. Although bound well it appeared to have no title.

"I asked around for the tome your were interested in. That Index... Alchemicus... Ultimate thing." He waved a hand in irritation that it had to have a name so difficult to remember. "Anyway, long story short - my source pointed me in a direction. This fit the bill, was hidden nicely, was even booby trapped, annoyingly enough."

He sighed. "Problem is that... I couldn't know for sure it was the one you wanted." He gestured for the alchemist to feel more than free to open it. He would find the pages blank (most likely), save for a colored picture of wine somewhere in the center.

For all Adyn knew it was some sort of joke or decoy, but he had had limited time during his foray into the warehouse. He could only hope the book had some value to the man.
Old February 7, 2017, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mythic

"The Index Alchimicus Altum ad Ultum," the alchemist corrected. His time as a teacher coming through.

Interesting.

The alchemist took a little time to look at the book. Opening it up to look at the blank pages and going through the pages with his loupe.

"Not what I asked for," the alchemist said, "but worth some small reward nonetheless." He pushed a bottle of his dreamless brandy across the table towards the rogue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: