Go Back   Aelyria > The Archives > Aelyria Archive > Prime > Abestat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2010, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mythic

Wealth Tier: Steel
Mixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious Superhero

The traditional cake, the traditional candle

OOC: If you feel like participating and I overlooked sending you an invitation, assume you got one and pile right on.

Mixie had few friends, and so she sent her birthbrightening invitations out randomly to those whom she remembered having conversed with and had a good idea of the location of. The invitations were written individually, but the wording never strayed far from her template. She had not written many letters and was somewhat incorrectly instructed in the proper forms of address by several examples she had found in a pile of refuse long ago, and often used all the honorifics she found in these letters all together in hopes that one or more of them would be correct.

Dearest Snooky Pumpkin the Right Honorable XXX,
My investigators inform me that my birthbrightening occurs on the 17th brightening of Juncitor, and in accordance with the traditions of aging I shall hold a ceremony on this date. I require a number of participants to produce the required songs and so on and have written to you in hopes that you will come.

If you will come, write to Darilyn Lorilard at Stoneleigh Castle and she will see to your accommodations and traveling expenses. The celebration will be a masquerade.

Mixie Shadowmuffin, Thane of Abestat.

To those who responded Darilyn, Mixie's secretary, would arrange passage by ship or stage coach and boarding either in Stoneleigh Castle or in a nearby hotel of high quality.
~~~

17th brightening of Juncitor, Era XVII

Mixie's party was slated for the evening, as she preferred the darkness to the light. The ballroom of Stoneleigh castle was decked out in fantastical style. Overhead, yards of sheer black silk stretched from balcony to balcony, and the candles above it twinkled through like stars. The pillars that supported the balconies were wrapped in vines and silk flowers, artifical trees and other more imaginary sorts of vegetation appeared here and there around the room. Serving women in black feathered costumes circulated through the dimly lit room distributing drinks and appetizers from bone white trays, and a small band played soothing percussive music from an unobtrusive corner.

Mixie was dressed in a low-cut gown with a train 20 feet long, printed with a scale pattern so that the looked more or less like a serpent. She wore a stylized snake domino, and her hair was braided to lie along her back. She was nervous and out of sorts, flitting about the room causing the wait staff to walk carefully to avoid her tail.

Against the far wall sat a table holding a great crystal bowl of punch, a variety of appetizers, and a large white cake decorated with candy flowers.

Last edited by Mixie Shadowmuffin; September 27, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old September 27, 2010, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Famous

Angela Myrsa is an upstanding Citizen
Angela had eagerly replied to the invitation. She was somewhat confused by the honorifics that had been included in the woman's invitation, but they seemed appropriate considering what she knew about Mixie Shadowmuffin. If nothing else they made her giggle. She quickly penned a response...

Dear Ms. Darilyn Lorilard,

I would like to RSVP my attendance to Her Grace Mixie Shadowmuffin's birth brightening. Please make whatever arrangements that would be appropriate in that I'm traveling from Aelyria Prime. Also please inform me as to whether or not I can acquire a costume in Abestat or if I must do so in Prime. My best regards to you and your employer.

Sincerely,

Angela Myrsa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angela swallowed nervously. She had only wore this gown twice before and didn't feel very pretty in it at all, but the invitation had said a masquerade ball and she didn't think either her work clothes or her traveling cloths would be appropriate. The gown was ruby red in color. It was sleevless and off the shoulder with a long plunging neckline and a string tie Regardless it was the dress she had brought. around the back of the neck to hold the bodice up. It was quite a revealing gown, but a friend had helped her pick it out and claimed that it looked wonderful on her. She was wearing a small mask she had picked up from a local vendor. It fastened behind her head, to hold it in place. Her hair had been done up with her face framed by ringlets of her onyx hair. Most of her hair was in a twisted rope weave style on top of her head. This still left plenty of hair to cascade down to her lower back in long ringlets. To round out the ensemble she had some heeled red shoes adding even more height to her 5' 9" frame.

She stepped nervously into the party room, grateful that she was wearing a mask so as not to be easily recognized. She had Mixie's present under her arm and carefully looked about the room searching for any sign of her host. Being such a unique individual she was not difficult to spot. Stepping quickly towards her hostess she embraced the woman, trying not to step on her long train, "Happy Birthbrightening Mixie! Your dress is fabulous!"

She handed the woman her present with an excited smile on her face.

Angela is a 5'9" Nimâlni female elf with a muscular build, long wavy onyx black hair, and sapphire blue eyes.

"Every rose has it's thorn...." Poison 
My face is up here.|Hey! No Peeking!

Last edited by Angela Myrsa; September 28, 2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old September 28, 2010, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Adventurer

Knopey is unknown and forgotten
Knopey hadn't replied to the invitation he had received. A party?, he wondered. Again? He began to wonder whether Mixie was doing this only because she was thane. But however, he decided to participate. It was not like he and Mixie Shadowmuffin were really close friends but she was one of the first person he ever had to do with, since coming to Abestat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knopey stepped into the great hall. Even though he had participated in the Thanal Ball, he didn't feel that he has been here ever. This place looked so differently than last time.
Knopey's dress was nothing special. In fact, he wasn't wearing something else than usual, only a black mask with a long nose and a red scarf.
He stepped through the hall, looking for Mixie. It took him a long time to spot her but she was busy with another woman who was handing the thane a present.
Then Knopey swallowed hard. He hadn't thought of a gift.

Secrets of Foresight
Old September 30, 2010, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Adventurer

Odin Breuner is an upstanding Citizen
Odin stayed back in the shadows, apart from the other guests, his eyes silently just watching the other guests. He was dressed quite plainly though, bearing only a small mask to cover one's eyes made of wood yet painted a deep blue.

It had been awhile since his half sister had come to tell his brother and him of her existence. And this trip to her demesne was of interesting note to him. For one it would be a means of gauging how well Mixie was liked about her realm. Did his sister truly have friends that would stand at her back through thick and thin no matter what the danger? Would they regard his sister with genuine affection? Or would they seek other gains through false pretenses and gifts of vanity?

He didn't know.

But it would be an interesting day of discovery to find out such things.

Odin wasn't rich, or well off.

He couldn't afford presents or fancy gifts with wrapping.

No the only gift he had here with him today was the heartfelt desire to do whatever required to help Mixie attain one of her goals: the finding of a ship for trade and transport. He didn't know how this would be possible, not even for someone of his low stature. But he had an idea: the Legion recieved reports of piracy on a semi- daily basis. It would be an interesting thing to track such a group back to their hideout and 'liberate' their vessel. It was the one thing he remembered Mixie discussing most,, about their meeting: her past notwithstanding. Well ,he also remembered a raven joyfully stealing things.

So here he was standing in the shadows, just idling his time as he watched the circumstances of the day proceed.
Old October 5, 2010, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brigand Warrior

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Arturus Breuner is a benevolent Adventurer

Arturus arrived with his brother, both with approval for leave from the legion. Niether of them brought gifts for they were poor and feeling rude about that Arturus collected some flowers before entering the party. He quickly made his way towards Mixie with his hand picked bouquet of garden flowers that he hoped his Sister would enjoy.... or eat or what ever she does. Arturus had no idea who Mixie really was and how she acted, but he had full intentions on finding out.

" Happy Birtday little Sister" Arturus announced himself extending the make shift collection of flowers to her.
Old October 11, 2010, 04:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mythic

Mixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious SuperheroMixie Shadowmuffin is a glorious Superhero

Mixie was stiff when Angela hugged her, but quickly loosened up and returned the hug with more force than necessary, in true snake shaman style. She did not understand that hugging ritual, but decided that she liked it.

"You're dress is also very fine. The men will see your bosom and wish to do acts of intimacy with you. The dwarf there is my butler and he will show you to your room if you need it."

She took the present somewhat suspiciously, examining it with a wondering frown. A woman somewhat shorter than Mixie came quickly up behind her. Her hair was long and blonde, and her curves generous. She wore a stylized phoenix costume, covered with feathers cut from firey red cloth.

"It is a gift, Mixie. It is traditional to bring a present to a birthbrightening."

She curtsied to Angela. "I'm Darilyn. Thank you so much for coming."

Looking past Angela she saw her brothers enter. Odin seemed to prefer the shadows, and impulse Mixie understood, but Arturus came up to her bringing a fist full of sacrificed flowers. She took the flowers and repeated the hugging ritual, clenching him about the waist. She smelled the flowers deeply.

"I enjoy the sacrifice of flowers, and their dying breath is pleasant in my nose."

Darilyn took the flowers, but before she went for a vase she said "You should introduce your guests to each other. I am Darilyn, Mixie's secretary."

Mixie did not seem to mind the direction.

"This is Arturus, he is my brother. This is my friend Angela. The man over there in the Shadows is Odin, who is also my brother. That other man is Knopey. He..." Mixie trailed off for a moment. "...he is a man I know. Together we caught a murderer once."
Old October 11, 2010, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Famous

Angela grunted a little at the extra strong hug that Mixie gave her although the Thane would definitely notice that the Nimalni was more muscle than not. Of course not even the mask the girl wore hid the blush that graced the pale skinned girl's face when Mixie complimented her on her gown. Angela wasn't used to compliments on her appearance nor such a straight forward assessment of what such a gown would cause men to think about. "Umm... thank you Mixie," came the girl's abashed response.

She doubted she would attract that kind of attention regardless of her gown. None of the men from her home town had shown much interest in her, she was just too tomboyish for their traditional society.

Angela returned Darilyn's curtsey, "I'm Angela. It was my pleasure." Angela watched the exchange between the secretary and the thane glad she had a mask to hide her amusement. Mixie seemed so worldly about some things, but others gave Angela the impression the girl was still a child.

She watched the exchange between the siblings with surprise as well. She had never heard flowers described quite that way, but once again Mixie's assessment was clear and too the point. The flowers were indeed dead and they also smelt good. She assumed that as her brother the man would be similar in his way of speak and mannerisms. Time would tell on that one. Angela curtsied, "It is a pleasure to meet you Arturus."

Angela is a 5'9" Nimâlni female elf with a muscular build, long wavy onyx black hair, and sapphire blue eyes.

Old October 13, 2010, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Adventurer

Knopey passed a man standing in the shadows, as unremarkable and observant as he himself usually prefers to be. Knopey only noticed him when he had already passed.
He was walking slowly enough that another man could reach Mixie before him which didn't really bother him. He simply kept on walking and as he came closer, he could understand what they were saying. Mixie was just introducing the people. Knopey's eyes jumped from person to person as they were introduced. His own name was the last one, as usual spoken in conjunction with the murderer who killed Roma.

"A tough one, I might add", said he as he reached the group.
He was not a bit aggrieved that Knopey was introduced as "a man I know" while the others had intimate titles such as brother or friend. All just words ...

Knopey closed his eyes behind the mask and said: "Happy birthbrightening, Mixie. You've never been as old as today." It took him a second to notice that what he said didn't sound as kind as intended. But as he knew Mixie, she wouldn't take it personally.
"Hope you don't mind me being empty-handed."

He looked over his shoulder at Odin, standing in the dark spots. No idea why, but he somehow liked him already.

Secrets of Foresight
Old October 26, 2010, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brigand Warrior

Wealth Tier: Sterling
Arturus Breuner is a benevolent Adventurer

Arturus believed he would always find his half sister to be a odd but very entertaining being. That conforted him that he will never be bored of her and he silently chuckled to himself as she referred to the floweres as sacrifices. He still had lots to learn about her and vice versa…… that at least he owed Mixie.

“ Greetings Darilyn” Arturus replied to her servant after Mixie introduced him to the others. His full attention quickly fell upon Angela. “ And the pleasure is all mine “ Arturus replied as he gently grasped her hand and gave it a small chivalric kiss. His upbringing made him a bit of a brute but he had been learning the ways to ‘socialize’ with women on a respectful level of interaction.
Old November 4, 2010, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Adventurer

'The world is never big or wide enough to encompass the entire truths of people's interactions when they meet.' Odin thought to himself. 'Sometimes the merest act or gesture could sway one person's opinion of another.'

Already he was attentive, trying to study the rest of the throng of people coming to pay their respects to his sister, and for the most part: he was quite relieved they all seemed to be genuine in their attentions towards his half sister.

The man called Knopey certainly appeared to be in good straits, well capable of handling himself at least.

'Good', he filed the name away for the future as he thought the man could prove himself extremely useful in a scrap.

With a heavy thoughts on his mind, Odin slowly began his approach towards his sister's present retinue of party goer's. This time shuffling his feet all the while with a forlorn look upon his face.

"Hello, Mixie. I'm sad to say that I fell short on the gift finding today. I humbly beg your apologies. But rather than a gift or pittance that may fade soon after the giving, I am thinking of something better to give you." He paused a moment, drawing a sharp breath before continuing, "I intend in the weeks ahead to find you amongst the pirating reports, a dedicated place we can intercept and capture a pirate ship for your future trading endeavors... I believe that is the best place to turn my talents towards for you as a gift upon your birthbrightening day."
Old November 5, 2010, 02:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Famous

Angela's eyes widened for a moment in surprise before she looked away slightly and a hint of crimson appeared in what little could be seen of her cheeks behind the mask she was wearing. The lass was unaccustomed to the niceties of civilized men and although her brother was a royal official she almost never saw him nor was taken to any 'formal' events. He most common interaction with anyone was either as a student or a shopkeeper and she didn't recall receiving a kiss on the hand before.

She quickly recovered as more guests made their way to the hostess. With a shy grin at the man who kissed her hand she turned her attention to the newcomers. Angela of course didn't interrupt them in their greeting, nor say anything less introduced, but she stayed by her friend interested to see what other 'characters' such and interesting person like Mixie could attract.

Old November 14, 2010, 04:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Adventurer

Knopey used the moment of silence while nobody said a word to finally bring his own best wishes to Mixie. "I wish you the best of luck and success for your birthbrightening, Mixie. May Abestat bloom under your thaneship."

It was usually absolutely not Knopey's way, but for some odd reason he asked the others: "How did you people meet Mixie, by the way?"

Secrets of Foresight
Old November 18, 2010, 04:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Alluring Archeress

Niven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious SuperheroNiven is a glorious Superhero

Cursing because she was late, Niven was running through the city, her skirts pulled up so far she was risking impropriety by exposing her legs in such a nice gown. The gown itself was actually quite pretty, even though it was mostly black. The bodice was princess cut with a read panel down the middle of the front, making it look almost as if she was wearing a jacket. The square neckline was trimmed in black lace, with beautiful black detailing just under her bust. The skirt of the dress was very full and had a red front panel that seemed to continue from the one on the bodice with some handsome darts coming from the v shaped bottom of the it. The back had another red panel which was bustled, starting at the base of the bodice and falling all the way down the skirt. The sleeves were horn shaped and three-quarter length, also trimmed in black lace, and flashes of red could be seen lining the insides of them. Her mask was quite large. The eye covering was the same red as the dress with gold and black accents, and attached to it looked like the front half of a female pirate's hat, also red with black feathers trimming the brim and a large black flower just next to the eye mask on the right side. A small wrapped parcel was tucked under the elf's left arm.

When Niven arrived at the Castle, she provided her invitation for the guard to verify and tried to slip in unnoticed by the rest of the guests. Catching a servant in the hall, Niven inquired as to a room where she might freshen up and she was directed to the powder room. Niven almost started to laugh as she looked at her reflection. He hair, which had been neatly piled on her head, looked as if she had been standing in a wind storm. Niven took all the pins out and allowed her blond hair to cascade down her back. Working quickly, she expertly twisted it back up into the updo she'd taken such care to arrange it in before she'd realized she was late and pinned it back into place. Picking her gift and mask up off the counter where she'd set them down, Niven smoothed her dress and made sure she was presentable.

It took her only a moment to find the grand hall where the guests were and Niven was relieved to find that there were not too too many guests that had already arrived, so she really wasn't that late. Making her way to the group of people already chatting, Niven picked out Mixie out of the group. "Serale," she greeted the green woman, "And happy birthbrightening, Mixie. Many happy returns." Niven smiled warmly and held the gift out for Mixie to take. It wasn't anything extravagant, just a pretty crystal necklace that Niven had been so fortunate to come across in a market during her travels that she, herself, had never found an occasion to wear, though she thought it quite pretty. She hoped Mixie would enjoy it. "Thank you for the invitation. I was honoured when I got it."

Niven turned to the others in the group. " Serale, I am Niven Soleil," she said, introducing herself and waiting for the others to follow suit.

ooc: Pics of gown here and here. Headdress here. Colours changed to suit post.

CIR | SoF

Thread Count: 12 + 5

Last edited by Niven; November 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old November 18, 2010, 06:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Famous

OOCNormally I'd wait for Mixie, but since she doesn't seem to be around.

Angela looked about nervously as no one seemed eager to answer Knopey's question. It wasn't that her meeting with the thane had been all that impressive of a story, in fact it was quite boring, but she didn't want the man to think that she had been ignoring him, it was rude. "Well it wasn't anything overly grand like hunting down a murderer or something. I was simply chatting with a new acquaintance and she decided to join in on the conversation. We both seemed to have some things in common and became friends."

She gave a nervous smile hoping that her answer sedated the man's curiosity. It was the arrival of the blonde newcomer that really caused the Nimalni to go speechless. The fancy dress, extravagant hair, Angela was certain that this woman was an actual princess. Once she introduced herself Angela downgraded the assumption to a high ranking noble of some kind and gave the woman a formal curtsy, "Angela Myrsa your ladyship."

Old November 18, 2010, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Adventurer

Odin gruffly, yet politely, nodded towards the ladies present at his sister's side.

The younger Breuner hesitated to speak as well, but he was sure some modicum of society demanded a reply after the two women had declared themselves. And truth be told, he was quite relieved when the woman named Myrsa was forward enough to declare herself Mixie's friend. It heartened him to know that before in the dark times of her life there was at least one person who seemed to share her interests.

He was sure he'd hear all about such things, eventually, 'Whatever those particular details might be.'

But, for the moment he presumed to speak plainly, "Greetings to you both, it is a pleasure for me to note our sister has gathered friends and comrades in arms, such as all of you. My name, is Odin Breuner." He gestured towards the man who had kissed Myrsa's hand, "and that flirt over there is my slightly older brother Arturus. Strangely enough, we did not find ourselves meeting Mixie, anywhere."

He smiled a little lopsidedly , a rare glint of humor came to his eyes. "Or perhaps it would be best to say: she found us."